Nintendo Wi-Fi Ending For DS And Wii

fantanoice

I can see through time
Pronouns
She / They
The Nintendo WiFi service for DS and Wii will be terminating on May 20th, 2014. That means that after this date you will no longer be able to play the online services for these devices, including games like Mario Kart DS/Wii and Super Smash Bros Brawl.

Source: Termination of Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection

Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Pokémon Black Version
Pokémon Black Version 2
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
...back to Kid Icarus: Uprising and Mario Kart 7 online I guess...

Lakitu de Vlot said:
Bah, there's probably some people somewhere that have their own custom servers.

At least that is happening for MKWii, so I'm not worried.
I knew there were a couple around for Xbox (original) games but never heard of any for MKW / Brawl.

fantanoice said:
Lakitu de Vlot said:

I knew there were a couple around for Xbox (original) games but never heard of any for MKW / Brawl.
Neither have I, but some people over at some Custom Mario Kart Wiki have their analytics on the networking protocol. It's happening.

Sylveon said:
GAH

WHERE WILL IGET MY DAILY DOSE OF POKEMON THEN.

THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE.
You just won't be able to trade and battle online. The game will still work.

Anyway, Internet never worked on my Wii or DS to begin with. It works for my Wii U and 3DS though, so there's that.

Yes. Worldwide.

Eh. Mario Kart 8 and SSB4's online look much better anyways. I'm not going to miss WFC.

Giga12 said:
Yes. Worldwide.

Eh. Mario Kart 8 and SSB4's online look much better anyways. I'm not going to miss WFC.

Oh, piffle. (That's what Grandma would say) Well, MKDS opponents were *bleep* and so were the tracks

I'm actually quite sad about this. Online is the sole reason I ever played Mario Kart Wii (it's what gives the replay-ability for me), and it's also my only source of practice for offline Brawl tournaments.

Yes, I know Brawl's wi-fi servers suck and it can get to the point where it goes like 3 frames a minute, but it's better than nothing. I can't go to the local Smashfests since they're rather far for me and my parents would not let me out. No one at my school plays Smash (and even then, NOWHERE near my level)... I'm really gonna miss Brawling with my friends and the online tourneys my friends will host. :/

I need to Brawl with you guys again (whether we play competitively or not) before the servers go down. =P

A woe for online gaming. This is why always-online DRM is a pretty bad thing in gaming (but that's a whole different beast altogether)

It looks like they want to get people interested in Mario Kart 8 since it also gets released around the same time.

I never really used NWC's online features.

Lakitu de Vlot said:
fantanoice said:
Lakitu de Vlot said:

Neither have I, but some people over at some Custom Mario Kart Wiki have their analytics on the networking protocol. It's happening.
Brawl would be more appropriate considering how atrocious those servers were.

Or better yet, Project M. Can Project M be played online? I can't remember.

I'm not going to miss it since I never really played online much to begin with, but mainly since there are newer installments of all of the games I did play online anyway (Mario Kart, Brawl, Pokemon) to fill the gaps, and besides Nintendo needs the extra money from not running the extra servers constantly so it's partly a plus anyway.

But that's just me anyway, so play your heart out until Mario Kart 8 comes out I suppose.

Baby Luigi said:
A woe for online gaming. This is why always-online DRM is a pretty bad thing in gaming (but that's a whole different beast altogether)

It looks like they want to get people interested in Mario Kart 8 since it also gets released around the same time.
What does always-online DRM have to do with this? It's obvious that they're shutting down the servers because they're a) costing them money when they aren't being used much, and b) they want people to move onto to the new games.

fantanoice said:
Baby Luigi said:

What does always-online DRM have to do with this? It's obvious that they're shutting down the servers because they're a) costing them money when they aren't being used much, and b) they want people to move onto to the new games.
Actually, it seems that they're shutting them down because of the company they licensed the technology from

Aiko Heiwa said:
fantanoice said:
Baby Luigi said:

Actually, it seems that they're shutting them down because of the company they licensed the technology from
They could always just lease / buy other servers and then move them over.

I'll miss it. I played Mario Kart Wii online for a bit and it was fun when there was no hackers(and when my Wii remote didn't run out of battery in the middle of a race). The game wouldn't let me on the last time I tried but it was a while ago so hopefully it will let me on when I try again. I've just started playing Mario Kart Wii again so I'm hoping I'll be able to get some races in. Maybe we all could have one last tournament before it stops. I won't be able to organise anything but maybe someone could.

Back