17 Year Old Gunned Down By Cop For Answering Door Holding a Wii Remote

EctoBiologist

Best cat themed touhou. I love touhou and DR.
Banned User
http://thelibertarianrepublic.com/child-gunned-cop-answering-door-holding-wii-controler/#.UweR0c65Esf

what da fack.

These officers are pretty dumb.

Reminds me of the Irish police who tasered a blind man because they thought his stick was a samurai sword.

I find it just miserable. Weapons give you a fake sense of invincibility, so you won't hesitate using them. Who do they think they are anyways? I don't want to be gunned to death for holding something stupid like a game remote, no thanks.

Wait, I thought cops are not supposed to shoot unless the guy shoots first

The cop was probably one of those anti-gaming twits.

War Doctor said:
And what happened to the officer? Administrative leave. For fucks sake.

Yeah its really damn stupid, i mean sure i like the cops around here since they're pretty reasonable, but other places pulls shit like this.

Killing an innocent person for just that and doesnt even get punished? that's just immense bullshit.

Dr. Murder said:
Isn't the death penalty still applicable in America?
Yes.

Except life in prison without parole is the better choice.

I...I...I...

Are you fucking serious.

I'm ashamed to even live in the vicinity of this fucking police officer.

Hypochondriac Mario said:
Dr. Murder said:
Yes.

oh yeah it's not like we already have too many people in prison or something

It pisses me off to no extent. Guh, administrator's leave? It's incidents like this that make cops in general look like assholes (and they're not).

While browsing the site, I also found this. Which is sad on a different level.

http://thelibertarianrepublic.com/watch-happens-jimmy-kimmel-tells-stupid-people-fdr-died-video/#axzz2u02zkBkR

Hypochondriac Mario said:
Dr. Murder said:
Yes.

Something people not in the US fail to realize like almost always is that each state is basically it's own country and we all just agreed to be one hunk of a country a few centuries ago. Each state can have wildly different laws, and in this case, some states have the death penalty and some don't. Also, some states have shit laws that allow these kind of tragedies to happen; even though this specific one happened in Georgia, you'll notice that a whole ton of them are happening in Florida. Claims such as "I'm never going to America again" are probably better worded as "I'm never going to [this state] again", and even then this country isn't as absolutely horrid as these gun stories are making it out to be. We're not all shooting at each other all the time, at least from what I can tell. I don't live in the South or the bad parts of big cities and that's where 95% of this shit is happening, so, just don't go there if you're that scared.

In addition, it'd be pretty gr8 to use a news source that isn't completely biased in one way or another, even if I/you/whoever totally agrees with them. A good rule-of-thumb is to not use a website that has the political party's ideology they're trying to endorse in the paper's name--"Libertarian". The one in the OP reads as more of an opinion piece of someone trying their hardest to point out that our government sucks.

But yeah this thing is kinda shitty, like, why did the officer have her gun ready to shoot immediately? I can only assume she did because if she would've had to take time to grab her gun, remove the safety, and shoot it, she could've easily had the time to realize that it's a Wii remote.

Besides, she didn't even announce she was the police when the boy asked who was it. Pretty unprofessional. Who hired her anyway?

Morty said:
In addition, it'd be pretty gr8 to use a news source that isn't completely biased in one way or another, even if I/you/whoever totally agrees with them. A good rule-of-thumb is to not use a website that has the political party's ideology they're trying to endorse in the paper's name--"Libertarian". The one in the OP reads as more of an opinion piece of someone trying their hardest to point out that our government sucks.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2563445/Georgia-teen-holding-Nintendo-Wii-controller-shot-police-thought-holding-gun.html

I've heard of cops doing some stupid things before but how the hell did just seeing the person holding the remote make the officer? I can see how someone could mistake that for a weapon if it was being pointed at them.

Also, the better thing to do at least would be to just try and deter the person without outright killing them. Getting injured by a police officer thinking you have a weapon is bad, but not as much as being killed for the same reason.

There was a story similar to this. From Wikipedia:

In the early morning of February 4, 1999, Diallo was standing near his building after returning from a meal. Police officers Edward McMellon, Sean Carroll, Kenneth Boss and Richard Murphy passed by in a Ford Taurus. Observing that Diallo matched the description of a since-captured well-armed serial rapist involved in the rape or attempted rape of 51 victims, they approached him. The officers were in plain clothes.
The officers claimed they loudly identified themselves as NYPD officers and that Diallo ran up the outside steps toward his apartment house doorway at their approach, ignoring their orders to stop and "show his hands". The porch lightbulb was out and Diallo was backlit by the inside vestibule light, showing only a silhouette. Diallo then reached into his jacket and withdrew his wallet. Seeing the suspect holding a small square object, Carroll yelled "Gun!" to alert his colleagues. Mistakenly believing Diallo had aimed a gun at them at close range, the officers opened fire on Diallo. During the shooting, lead officer McMellon tripped backward off the front stairs, causing the other officers to believe he had been shot. The four officers fired 41 shots, more than half of which went astray as Diallo was hit 19 times.
The post-shooting investigation found no weapons on Diallo's body; the item he had pulled out of his jacket was not a gun, but a rectangular black wallet. The internal NYPD investigation ruled the officers had acted within policy, based on what a reasonable police officer would have done in the same circumstances with the information they had. The Diallo shooting led to a review of police training policy and the use of full metal jacket (FMJ) bullets. On March 25, 1999, a Bronx grand jury indicted the four officers on charges of second-degree murder and reckless endangerment. On December 16, an appellate court ordered a change of venue to Albany, New York, stating that pretrial publicity had made a fair trial in New York City impossible. On February 25, 2000, after two days of deliberation, a mixed-race jury in Albany acquitted the officers of all charges. Officer Kenneth Boss had been previously involved in an incident where an armed man was shot. A 22-year-old man, Patrick Bailey, died after Boss shot him on October 31, 1997. As of 2012, Boss is the only remaining officer working for the NYPD, performing duties such as making repairs at Floyd Bennett Field and participating in police drills and exercises. In October 2012, Commissioner Raymond W. Kelly restored Boss' ability to carry a firearm against the protests of Diallo's family.

This song was written about it.

This is an outrage! :mad: Give that cop should be punished. Anyone with any sense of moral decency should be calling for that cop to get reprimanded.

Officers are sworn to uphold the law and protect America's citizens, not slay them for wielding something that couldn't look LESS that a handgun if you TRIED to find something that did. They don't look remotely similar, pun intended.

I hope that cop is given a bit of discipline. Now, imagine if an entire SWAT unit raids a random home just when all of the people inside are busy playing Wii Sports or Mario Kart Wii and proceeds to kill them all with the most powerful firearms they have, even though they never committed even one crime in their whole lives. Can you just imagine the media swarming around that?

I swear I'm not trying to be contrarian here, but... couldn't this just be a mistake? Everyone here is running around like "this is ridiculous! how could this happen? our police forces are terrible!" when we honestly don't know enough about the situation. Police officers are trained to respond quickly to threats, right? Threats such as someone pulling a gun on you. It's plausible that the teenager here looked threatening and moved in an aggressive manner with a black Wii remote.

This is no way justifies the shooting, but the sad thing is that mistakes like this happen sometimes. And until I see any evidence that proves the officer just up and shot the teenager for no reason, I'm going to guess that this is more likely to be a horrible mistake, not intentional.

We shouldn't be so quick to judge the officer here.

Back