General Discussion

Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V...

I've always wondered if we should have a full-fledged article on The Wizard. Mario isn't the central focus, but the entire movie builds up to the moment where Super Mario Bros. 3 is first revealed. It was the introduction of the game to North American audiences, and helped bring great attention and popularity to it. It showed not only gameplay footage, but secrets (like the Warp Whistle). Plus, Mario's on the cover (File:The Wizard Poster.jpg). If we were to make an article on it, we wouldn't need a synopsis of the entire film; just information on the relevant bits, like SSX on Tour or NBA Street V3.

I don't feel particlarly strongly about it, but I agree with the suggestion. I think I voiced a similar sentiment on the staff forum a while back.

I'd support creation of The Wizard

The least we could do is do what Walkazo said and redirect it to there

That looks great! Now you need to link the article in respective pages.

Super Mario Bros. 3, the game featured, needs a link to the article.

I don't like generic subject articles based on real world animals, like Pig, Chicken, Frog, and especially Bee. These articles all follow the same principle: if it resembles the species, we list it. I don't particularly mind this line of thinking for categories, but to use Pig as an example, the Three Little Pigheads, Hogwash, Hoggus, Li'l Oink, Mr. Hoggle, Pigarithm, Midbus, and Tutorial Pig are all dutifully given sections, even though none of them are literally pigs. Yes, we classify them as part of a pig species, but none of them are actually pigs, so why should they have a section on an article meant for pigs? We don't spend all our time referencing all of the Koopa Troopa subspecies on the Koopa Troopa article, do we? It's not even like it's a complete list; according to Category:Pigs, there are several more pigs that aren't even mentioned on the Pig article.

However, I really don't like these articles because we often end up lumping together subjects that are completely unrelated. Let me use Bee as an example; the species from Super Mario Galaxy, the enemies that appear alongside Beehoss, and the enemies that hide in beehives in Super Mario Sunshine are all labelled "Bees". Thus, the logical conclusion was (apparently) reached to keep all three of them in the same article, even though they all have radically different appearances, characteristics, ways of interacting with them... They're very clearly different, and yet we don't treat them as different.

I don't even know what I'd like to be changed. I don't know if I want some sort of mass deletion, or if I want things to be selectively removed, but I want something to be done. So, anyone else have anything to say?

Sorry to kind of steer away the conversation, but would a template for Movies be necessary?

Time Turner said:
So, anyone else have anything to say?

Mentioning every instance of something that's vaguely similar to the page subject is something already discouraged here. There's been a movement recently to get rid of pages about generic subjects that only exist to list completely unrelated things together (like the old "Mushroom Universe" page or this thing), so you could make a case for deleting the Pig page outright since there's no Mario enemy or character that's literally named just "pig".

Glowsquid said:
Time Turner said:

Mentioning every instance of something that's vaguely similar to the page subject is something already discouraged here. There's been a movement recently to get rid of pages about generic subjects that only exist to list completely unrelated things together (like the old "Mushroom Universe" page or this thing), so you could make a case for deleting the Pig page outright since there's no Mario enemy or character that's literally named just "pig".
Couldn't you make an argument that the article should stand because the villagers in Paper Mario 2 were turned into pigs and were clearly stated to be pigs

Refrigerator Kirby said:
Glowsquid said:
Time Turner said:

Couldn't you make an argument that the article should stand because the villagers in Paper Mario 2 were turned into pigs and were clearly stated to be pigs
I was in the middle of typing exactly this.

Oh right, I thought they were called lil' Oinks as in PM or whatever.

Drift said:
Sorry to kind of steer away the conversation, but would a template for Movies be necessary?

As in Mario-related films, such as the live-action film and that one animated one of which I forget the name? That would depend on how many there are.

I don't think a navigation template would be necessary since they don't really link. We don't merge the cartoons together (do we?). Just use the category link for movies.

Also Chicken is the actual name of an enemy in the game SML so deleting that article wouldn't make any sense

No movie template's needed.

As for the animal pages, I think they should be dealt with like the Dragon page (which was decided via a TPP on its page gae), with only regular (or anthropomorphized but otherwise generic) pigs and chickens and things going on the pages, and all the specifically named species and specialized stuff like the SML Chickens and SMG bees and whatnot getting separate pages.

Quick question about something minor: is there anything wrong with using the word "so"? In my English classes, my teachers have basically beat the idea into my head that "so" shouldn't be used in any formal writing. While we may not be trying to write a novel at the wiki, we still do enforce good writing. So, is this something that's widespread, and should it be something that's applied on the wiki?

Back