Author Topic: General Discussion  (Read 180247 times)

Ray Trace

• Yeah, hahaha, a little bit more hand sanitizer and we wouldn't be in this mess.
  • Mushroom Attendant
  • Baby Luigi
  • 🇷🇺 Малыш Луиджи 🇷🇺 – сырная бл🧀🧀🧀 Тарелка!
    • View Profile
Re: General Discussion
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2014, 07:47:59 PM »
I don't think a navigation template would be necessary since they don't really link. We don't merge the cartoons together (do we?). Just use the category link for movies.
RIP B. "Walkazo" Dalziel. December 16, 1991 to March 27, 2016.

Maki's #3 Fan

• Retired Wiki Staff
  • Celestial Guide
  • Raven Effect
  • That's what I call hamburgers
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2014, 07:50:17 PM »
Also Chicken is the actual name of an enemy in the game SML so deleting that article wouldn't make any sense

Time Turner

• The Fallen Child
  • Celestial Guide
  • You are filled with determination. (R/GD/TT)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2014, 07:56:18 PM »
Also Chicken is the actual name of an enemy in the game SML so deleting that article wouldn't make any sense
Well, the article not actually used for solely that enemy.

Walkazo

• Dragon Lady
  • Local Moderator
  • Shine Sprite
  • Thou liest!
    • View Profile
    • Fanfiction.net
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2014, 09:21:41 PM »
No movie template's needed.

As for the animal pages, I think they should be dealt with like the Dragon page (which was decided via a TPP on its page gae), with only regular (or anthropomorphized but otherwise generic) pigs and chickens and things going on the pages, and all the specifically named species and specialized stuff like the SML Chickens and SMG bees and whatnot getting separate pages.

Time Turner

• The Fallen Child
  • Celestial Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2014, 11:45:47 AM »
Quick question about something minor: is there anything wrong with using the word "so"? In my English classes, my teachers have basically beat the idea into my head that "so" shouldn't be used in any formal writing. While we may not be trying to write a novel at the wiki, we still do enforce good writing. So, is this something that's widespread, and should it be something that's applied on the wiki?

Walkazo

• Dragon Lady
  • Local Moderator
  • Shine Sprite
  • Thou liest!
    • View Profile
    • Fanfiction.net
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2014, 12:11:56 PM »
Writing lags behind language evolution: "so" is becoming increasingly popular as an intensifier in speech and informal writing, but generally isn't seen in formal stuff, so maybe just to avoid others coming and saying statements like "X is so powerful" are wrong and changing them, I'd say just try using "very" and other more accepted terms. But I think things like "X is so powerful, it destroyed Y." should be fine. But that's just my take on it.

Time Turner

• The Fallen Child
  • Celestial Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2014, 12:38:22 PM »
Though the word has been used as an intensifier, it's also commonly used as a means of connecting two sentences, such as "Mario was too weak to beat Bowser, so he decided to get a Star." Would you still consider it acceptable in that sense?

Mario4Ever

• Lucius Needful
  • Retired Wiki Staff
  • Celestial Guide
  • A price for everything.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2014, 01:16:33 PM »
Yes.

[...]This is the best weekend I've had since Salem.

Ray Trace

• Yeah, hahaha, a little bit more hand sanitizer and we wouldn't be in this mess.
  • Mushroom Attendant
  • Baby Luigi
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2014, 01:41:27 PM »
Some issue I have regarding the Mario series template

I'm certain the RPGs qualify as a Mario spinoff and therefore should belong in the Mario spinoff template.

Walkazo

• Dragon Lady
  • Local Moderator
  • Shine Sprite
  • Thou liest!
    • View Profile
    • Fanfiction.net
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2014, 02:35:44 PM »
The best course of action would be to re-merge Template:Spinoffs into Template:Mariogames and eliminate the problem of ambiguous terms like "spinoff" altogether.

After all, looking at it as the core "Super Mario" games being the games that are spun off of, the template already has plenty of "spinoffs" in the platformers section (i.e. "Hotel Mario" or "Mario's Bombs Away"), and looking at it as adventure games vs. match-based games, RPGs makes sense in with the platformers while the sports and things are off on their own. However, neither definition is what was used to split the template in the first place, but rather, the idea that "spinoff" = games that Nintendo didn't make, which seems pretty flimsy and as far as I know, was not discussed or approved (no one replied to his talk page comment) before the user went and made the changes (and then no one cared enough to change it back, I guess).

Having all the games in one template wouldn't be too large when you compare it to some of the RPG templates, and then the games can be sorted by genre and then subseries using two tiers of headers. I'd be happy to do it: I love messing around with templates~

Ray Trace

• Mushroom Attendant
  • Baby Luigi
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2014, 02:52:27 PM »
I would love for you to do it. I'm not exactly fond of updating links in every single article anyway.

Walkazo

• Dragon Lady
  • Local Moderator
  • Shine Sprite
  • Thou liest!
    • View Profile
    • Fanfiction.net
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2014, 05:13:41 PM »
Cool. All done.

Megadardery

• Megadardery
  • King Bowser
  • Dashbot
  • BREEE
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2014, 10:06:23 AM »
Licensing sometimes confuse me, specially for personal-images. What license should fit the Fanworks? What license should fit the edited sprites? Probably more, but that what is in mind now.

Lakituthequick

• with lowercase T and Q
  • Awards Committee
  • Celestial Guide
  • Rest in Peace, Walkazo 😢
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2014, 10:08:34 AM »
Licensing sometimes confuse me, specially for personal-images. What license should fit the Fanworks? What license should fit the edited sprites? Probably more, but that what is in mind now.
{{derivative-work}}

Ray Trace

• Mushroom Attendant
  • Baby Luigi
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2014, 10:10:03 AM »
I also use this for some of my sprites

{{cc-by-nc-sa-3.0}}

Megadardery

• Megadardery
  • King Bowser
  • Dashbot
  • BREEE
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2014, 10:20:28 AM »
{{derivative-work}}
Alright, I wasn't sure that fanwork can be considered as a derivative of the official artworks.

I also use this for some of my sprites

{{cc-by-nc-sa-3.0}}
dunno, don't feel it. Aren't you supposed to go to creative common to license it yourself or what?

Ray Trace

• Mushroom Attendant
  • Baby Luigi
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2014, 10:24:21 AM »
*shrug* it said "home-made sprite" in the description, that's why I used it

Lakituthequick

• with lowercase T and Q
  • Awards Committee
  • Celestial Guide
  • Rest in Peace, Walkazo 😢
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2014, 10:32:21 AM »
{{derivative-work}}
Alright, I wasn't sure that fanwork can be considered as a derivative of the official artworks.
100% fanwork not really, but edited sprites and edited artworks do.

Princess Mario

• Mushroom Kingdom's Most 🦄Fabulous🦄 Wario Killer
  • Donkey Kong
  • LeftyGreenMario
  • R.I.P. Walkazo December 16, 1991 - March 27, 2016
    • View Profile
    • RationalWiki
« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2014, 04:21:02 PM »
From Image Use Policy:
  • Images should be optimized and not exceed 5 megabytes in file size.
  • Images' dimensions should be in the original size and never exceed 5000 pixels in width or height.
  • Images cannot exceed an area of 12.5 million pixels or about 3500x3500 for a square image.
YoshiKong had uploaded some humongous artwork which clearly violate one more more of these rules. I'd ignore these rules, but I'm not going to make it a potential problem for editors later on, so I'd like to bring this one up. See the talk page as well.

Glowsquid

• Dans une galaxie près de chez vous!
  • Global Moderator
  • Shine Sprite
    • View Profile
    • http://darkadia.com/member/glowsquid
« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2014, 05:10:31 PM »
Written rules are written rules, and I doubt anyone's going to mourn the compression of 6.000 x 6.000 px artworks of frozen trees. If someone wants retardly high-res images, there's Pidgiwiki for that.
Rest in peace, Walkazo.