The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

GalacticPetey

Donkey Kong
We know that Nintendo is planning a brand, new HD Zelda game for Wii U. This is a thread to talk about it. It was planned to be shown at E3 2013, but the developers wanted to wait awhile. I have a feeling we'll see a trailer at E3 2014. Aonuma has said he wants to change some aspects of the series. He has mentioned being able to complete the dungeons in any order the player chooses and the possibility of multi-player.

So, what do you guys want to see in this new Zelda? I want this game to big, really big. A massive Hyrule Field with all your favorite locations, plus some new ones, all in glorious HD. I would also love the chance to play as other characters from the series. Something like side quests where you play as Sheik would be really cool. You could make them stealth based a la Metal Gear.

This will mostly be a speculation/wish list thread until we get an official announcement or we hear more news.

EDIT: This is not referring to Hyrule Warriors. That's a spin-off.

Re: Zelda (Wii U)

I hope it has even sweeter controls than Skyward Sword. Skyward Sword, in terms of control, was the best.

Dracomon said:
I hope it has even sweeter controls than Skyward Sword. Skyward Sword, in terms of control, was the best.
Totally agree.

Also no dungeons in any order. I don't like choosing, plus then I have no idea what dungeon is harder or what not.

Dracomon said:
I don't think this game will have motion controls.

You should tell people about Hyrule Warriors not counting

Skyward Sword's controls takes time getting used to, for me.

Right-handers, try reversing your nunchuk and wii remote and play it that way.

Ganondorf said:
Baby Luigi said:
You should tell people about Hyrule Warriors not counting
I thought that was pretty self explanatory.

I know, just to deter some smart-ass from saying that

The post alone won't deter it.

Might also want to note that in the topic title.

I wonder what style this game is going for? Link is an adult? A child? I wonder...

I'm thinking adult, much like Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword. But at this point, we don't know. Well, there was the tech demo.

Note: The final game will probably look nothing like this at all! This is just what a Wii U Zelda game might look like.

Hmmm, what I hope to see...

> Make it dark. I just...Zelda games tend to be more emotionally charged when it has a darker theme to it. Not saying SS or WW are not awesome (as they are in my top 5 favorite Zelda games), but I think they do better grabbing the audience as well (I'm sure that everyone can compare the reactions of WW and SS to the 2004 reveal of TP, which was honestly one of the greatest moments in E3 history).

> Detailed Graphics. I don't really want...SS artwork. I love WW, but SS artwork was too...strange for me. It felt too cartoony to me. OoT, MM, and TP's graphics aged terribly, so maybe realistic isn't the best way to go. I do kind want it more realistic, but still have a little bit of the colorful fill, and not have it be pixilated. The E3 2012 demo of Zelda was definitely something I would love to have as the art style.

> Music. Oh god, if they have a soundtrack similar to Twilight Princess' awesome Soundtrack, man...I am hoping for something that is familiar, but still awesome. With a full orchestra, who knows what we will get?

> "Simplier" gameplay. I don't discredit SS for having great controls, but it was not universal in terms of working out well. I had no troubles with it since I naturally know what to do, but I have seen my family play it and have so much trouble. I do like feeling more connected with the game, but I rather not have every single action in motion control. That is what really killed a lot of the gameplay for some people. It was tiring having to swing your sword, dig into your bag, dig for potions, aim the beetle, draw on the walls, etc. It was just...they didn't need everything to be reliant on motion controls that they had to say "press [down] to reset the motion controls".

And the last big thing I really want.

> Connected overworld. I want it big again. I feel like there is so much more excitement with a bigger realm. The more you can explore and see things. This also counts for temples. I loved it when Temples used to have more than 5-7 rooms (rather than Skyward Sword's dungeons). And if you have to travel through places, make it not boring. Sorry for how much of a SS rant this is, but don't have an empty sky where you are wasting 5 minutes going through one side to another literally doing nothing. The Great Sea from WW was a bit tedious at times, but at least you could teleport, and it wasn't like there wasn't stuff out there in the Great Sea.

Who knows what they'll do next? Honestly...

Ganondorf said:
I'm thinking adult, much like Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword. But at this point, we don't know. Well, there was the tech demo.

Note: The final game will probably look nothing like this at all! This is just what a Wii U Zelda game might look like.
*video*

Does anyone remember the first trailer of the Gamecube Link game? Yeah.... I don't know if it's going to be that drastic.

Hypochondriac Mario said:
Ganondorf said:

*video*

Does anyone remember the first trailer of the Gamecube Link game? Yeah.... I don't know if it's going to be that drastic.

Oh god, I still watch it over and over sometimes.

I just...I have to reply the first 20 seconds, because just the excitement and memories...

honestly if a 3d zelda is coming out it'd be neat to see upgrades to the battle system(like learning new moves like you could in tp).

But with more interesting dungeon choices, more unique tools, etc. etc.

Although im not very hopeful aside from dynasty warriors zelda, but thats a DW like game so naturally ill like it.

But for other 3d zeldas, im not sure. Really on liked wind waker so far, while majoras mask and skyward sword look neat, im not sure i could get into them.

Although i dont think zelda should be dark though as that was expressed in tp and it just didnt go over well. Although thats not the main issue with the game.

Overall though i just hope there are some improvements among the 3d zeldas.

Like I said in the OP, Aonuma said he really wants to shake up the formula with this. He mentioned having the the player being able to do dungeons in any order and not making it just a single player game.

Dracomon said:
Ganondorf said:
Dracomon said:
They can't just do that. They just can't. I felt I could actually control Link.

too bad the vast majority of gamers dont like motion controls and will win more people over by making no motion controls.

....probably.

Dracomon said:
Ganondorf said:
Dracomon said:
Ocarina of Time, Wind Waker, and Majora's Mask didn't have motion controls, yet they are considered some of the best in the series.

Ganondorf said:
Dracomon said:
Ganondorf said:
Dracomon said:
Ocarina of Time, Wind Waker, and Majora's Mask didn't have motion controls, yet they are considered some of the best in the series.
I know that. In fact, compared to them, Skyward Sword is extremely weak. However, I'm saying that the way you could control your sword is fantastic. There's so many more options of gameplay so much more advanced.

Ganondorf said:
So, is anyone else hoping for a fully orchestrated soundtrack?

That would be sweet and what a Link games totally needs

Ganondorf said:
So, is anyone else hoping for a fully orchestrated soundtrack?

That'd be neat and actually pretty fitting.

I kinda wish more nintendo games pull the whole smg ost though.

Back