What the flying freak is found in our food?

LeftyGreenMario

Working toward a diva-free community
Wiki Administrator
Pronouns
she/her
MarioWiki
Mario
Our tummies are landfill. :'(

*This thread is to simply showcase weird additives that food manufacturers resort to to enhance their foods. It emphasizes on the bizarre rather than the toxic. By no means are any of these toxic, but it does show what manufacturers resort to to "perfect" their otherwise crummy food.*

• Castoreum
    some of you heard it before; there was a thread devoted to it: it's sexual glands of a beaver next to the anal glands. Found in "natural" flavor of vanilla ice cream and just vanilla products.
  • Propylene glycol
    In ice cream, cheese, and dressing, this is also the same stuff people use to remove frozen stuff in vehicles. In other words, antifreeze.
  • L-cysteine
    If you hate finding human hair in your food, you'll be in for a nasty surprise that this amino acid is derived from human hair and even duck feathers! It's "meat flavor", "dough conditioner" in frozen packaged foods.
  • Fortified iron in cereal
    It's literally ground up pieces of metal. I'm not kidding. Ground the cereal that's "fortified with iron", like Special K, into powder in a bowl. Put the powder on a sheet of paper. Get a strong magnet and watch some bits of black stuff stick to it. Too bad our bodies just suck at absorbing that nutrient in that form.
  • Cochineal Extract (Carmine)
    Used as red food coloring. Starbucks may have gotten flack for using it, but this beetle-derived extract is still used in red juices, artificial crabmeat, and other red things.
  • Azodicarbonamide
    Used in cereal, flower, and bread. Also essential to make foamed plastic and synthetic leather. Window and door gaskets also use it. Same thing for padded floor mats, excessive mats, and shoe soles.
  • Cellulose gum
    Some of your ice cream and shredded cheese started as tree shavings. Don't you just love wood chips with your "light" ice cream?
  • Dimethylpolysiloxane
    Also found in Silly Putty.
  • Potassium Bromate
    Many countries have banned this substance, including China. If you are American, though, this potentially carcinogenic compound can be in your bread.
  • Lean finely texture beef (LFTB)
    It's pink slime in technical terms.
  • Carrageenan
    Derived from seaweed and can cause abdominal inflammation.
  • Mechanically separated meat
    It's meat paste created by forcing bones attached with meat through a device (like a sieve) to detach the meat from the bones.

Also, any time you see "natural" or "artificial" flavors, this can be anything. I mean, anything, just as long as FDA approves it. Even then, food manufacturers can simply tell the FDA that it meets the standards, so...

Other countries may have a different set of regulations.

RAINBOW BARFFFFFFFFFFFFF

Good thing I don't eat out too often

Shadow rocks! said:
RAINBOW BARFFFFFFFFFFFFF

Made of Red#40 Yellow#5 and Blue#1.

The Great Tongue said:
tastes good so personally irdc

Well what do you eat anyway?

wont stop me from eating pizza as well as eating at steak n shake and subway.

I'm not trying to prevent people from indulging. All I'm saying is that our food isn't really food. It's a chemical experiment.

The Great Tongue said:
tastes good so personally irdc

Just as long as you keep it in moderation, you'll be okay. It's nice to have some genuine food, though.

Weird that even with this knowledge I'll still eat those foods.

I do, too, you know that? I drink Coca Cola all the time, even though caramel coloring can be carcinogenic. As I said, my purpose is not to keep you from eating, but rather inform you that our food system is really mucked up and our food can use really unconventional ingredients. Unlike most trivial, useless information, though, this can help you later when your body is more vulnerable to this.

Orange Juice
Wonder why they all taste the same? That's because companies store the juice in a container and remove oxygen. They can be stored for up to a year. This removes essential acids, that gives orange juice its flavor, so orange juice makers turn to perfume and flavor companies to readd the smell and the flavor.

Weird, despite all of this info, I still <3 chicken McNuggets

Baby Luigi said:

Eats_ChickenNuggetPinkPaste_pg2.jpg

so delicious

Giuliant said:
Baby Luigi said:

Eats_ChickenNuggetPinkPaste_pg2.jpg

so delicious

It looks like strawberry ice cream

Hypochondriac Mario said:
I do, too, you know that? I drink Coca Cola all the time, even though caramel coloring can be carcinogenic. As I said, my purpose is not to keep you from eating, but rather inform you that our food system is really mucked up and our food can use really unconventional ingredients. Unlike most trivial, useless information, though, this can help you later when your body is more vulnerable to this.
I remember being told a story by our history teacher about another teacher in the school who worked in a pork pie factory and she was saying how most of was like chicken brains and stuff and we sat they are the end of story thinking "Chicken brain tastes nice".

Home-cooked food and food from smaller restaurants is almost always better and tastier than food from bigger places.

Though I still love fast-food and Coke and I will not give up on them.

Thermidor 2 said:
I remember being told a story by our history teacher about another teacher in the school who worked in a pork pie factory and she was saying how most of was like chicken brains and stuff and we sat they are the end of story thinking "Chicken brain tastes nice".
It's probably not the brain you're tasting but the "natural flavors" and "artificial flavors" and stuff anyway.

You know that the average glass of orange juice can have residue from 9 different pesticides?

yeah things tend to sound a lot more terrifying when you give a long droning chemical name

ps large traces of dihydrogen monoxide have been found in several sources of water drink at your own risk

I'm surprised LGM hasn't mentioned High Fructose Corn Syrup.

It's in bread.

And of course, Monosodium glutamates!

• Castoreum
    some of you heard it before; there was a thread devoted to it: it's sexual glands of a beaver next to the anal glands. Found in "natural" flavor of vanilla ice cream and just vanilla products.

Cultures eat hog ass and cow testicles so as far as I know this is simply getting the best of both worlds

• Propylene glycol
    In ice cream, cheese, and dressing, this is also the same stuff people use to remove frozen stuff in vehicles. In other words, antifreeze.

That's a harsh generalization. It's perfectly safe. You'd have to eat it extremely concentrated in an astronomically short time for it to do ANY damage. Source? Look at its god damned NFPA diamond, please.

SDblBvT.png

Hmm, a zero in blue, eh? "Poses no health hazard, no precautions necessary and would offer no hazard beyond that of ordinary combustible materials (e.g., wood)"

• L-cysteine
    If you hate finding human hair in your food, you'll be in for a nasty surprise that this amino acid is derived from human hair and even duck feathers! It's "meat flavor", "dough conditioner" in frozen packaged foods.

If you're going to whine about amino acids in your food, then I've got a "nasty surprise" for you, too.

• Fortified iron in cereal
    It's literally ground up pieces of metal. I'm not kidding. Ground the cereal that's "fortified with iron", like Special K, into powder in a bowl. Put the powder on a sheet of paper. Get a strong magnet and watch some bits of black stuff stick to it. Too bad our bodies just suck at absorbing that nutrient in that form.

1. Go to this site.
2. Close your eyes.
3. Randomly poke the computer screen.

There's a 40% chance you need it to live. And there's a 100% chance it has been stereotyped and is actually beautiful in its own way. Except the lanthanides. Fuck the lanthanides.

How 'bout you go without iron. It'll be fun when you have to take hemoglobin supplements for your anemia.

• Cochineal Extract (Carmine)
    Used as red food coloring. Starbucks may have gotten flack for using it, but this beetle-derived extract is still used in red juices, artificial crabmeat, and other red things.

This is the one that confounds me the most. So it's bad because... it's from a beetle? Which are closely related to the example organism you gave that the beetle is substituting for: crabs

• Azodicarbonamide
    Used in cereal, flower, and bread. Also essential to make foamed plastic and synthetic leather. Window and door gaskets also use it. Same thing for padded floor mats, excessive mats, and shoe soles.

I agree, this should not be in food. Known asthma irritation.

• Cellulose gum
    Some of your ice cream and shredded cheese started as tree shavings. Don't you just love wood chips with your "light" ice cream?

Cellulose is pretty much "essence of plant cell". Not necessarily from wood chips.

• Dimethylpolysiloxane
    Also found in Silly Putty.

Another thing that just sounds evil because it has a long, droning chemical name. It's an anti-foaming agent. It does bother me, however, how it has a 2 in its blue diamond even though it has "no marked chemical effects on organisms".

• Potassium Bromate
    Many countries have banned this substance, including China. If you are American, though, this potentially carcinogenic compound can be in your bread.

I agree wholly, and so does Walter Bishop. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zG8D2_sYbUI

• Lean finely texture beef (LFTB)
    It's pink slime in technical terms.

but it's yummy

• Carrageenan
    Derived from seaweed and can cause abdominal inflammation.

And this, I do also agree this stuff is shit.

• Mechanically separated meat
    It's meat paste created by forcing bones attached with meat through a device (like a sieve) to detach the meat from the bones.

• I take back the thing about the beetles. You're against this because a machine is separating the meat instead of a human being?

Back