Translation request thread

Glowsquid

Shine Sprite
Retired Forum Mod
Retired Wiki Staff
'Shroom Consultant
(was formerly titled "Translation request: Super Mario Advance Interview")

Nintendo's website has an Iwata Asks-esque interview with the core devs of Super Mario Advance. N-sider "translated" it, but according to this Wikipedia talk, the author makes a lot of shit up and N-Sider is generally not reliable. So yeah, if someone could make an (hopefully) more accurate translation, that would be appreciated.

I'm copying the text here since it shows up garbled on the page unless you switch the browser's encoding to shift_jis.

--今回のマリオはどんなきっかけで企画が立ちあがったんですか。
手塚さん 手塚:アメリカで『スーパーマリオ』のゲームボーイカラーバージョン(日本では『スーパーマリオDX』としてニンテンドウパワーで発売中)が好評だったんです。『スーパーマリオ』を遊んでいない人には、新鮮だったんでしょうね。 また、以前に遊んだことのある人には懐かしいタイトルだと思います。これは任天堂の資産として貴重なものなので、今回のアドバンスでぜひ出そうということになりました。私はずっと宮本(情報開発本部本部長)と『マリオ』関係の仕事をしていましたので、今回宮本とともに、スーパーバイザーということでアドバイスをさせてもらいました。

--今回の『スーパーマリオアドバンス』は、『スーパーマリオUSA』と『マリオブラザーズ』のリメイクという形ですよね。アドバンス用に作り直したんですか。
鈴木:プログラムはいちから作り直しです。
木村:スーパーファミコンの『マリオコレクション』に入っていた『スーパーマリオUSA』のグラフィックで使えるデータは流用していますが、エフェクトや演出面で足りなかったものを新規で作っています。
鈴木:でも、スーパーファミコンとアドバンスでは画面サイズがまず違うんです。だから、アドバンスに合わせて地形を変えたり演出をし直さなければならなかったんです。ですから、単純な移植ではないんですよ。

鈴木さん --グラフィックの変更点というのは、主にどんなところですか。
鈴木:今回は敵を連続で倒すと1UPする要素や得点のシステムを新しく入れましたので、そのへんは新規に作っていますね。あとは連続で敵を倒せる場面を新しく入れて、より爽快感を出しています。

--大きな敵も前作ではいなかったと思うのですが。
木村:そうですね。アドバンスの特徴としてオブジェクト(操作の対象となるもの。ゲームではキャラクターやアイテムなど)の拡大・縮小ができるので、それを使って、大きな敵を投げられるようにしました。1画面に表示できるキャラクターも、アドバンスでは増えましたので、そのへんのアドバンスらしさは意識して出しました。あとは、液晶が反射型なので、画面が暗くならないよう色使いにはかなり気を使いましたね。発光型ではないので、暗くなりがちなんですよ。まだ研究中ですが、液晶の特性を活かす色を探りながらやっていますね。

木村さん --ゲームボーイカラーに適した色とアドバンスに適した色は違うんですか。
木村:やっぱり違いますね。出やすい色、出にくい色があるんですよ。開発機材の上で出ている色とも少し違うので、ゲームで動かしてみると、色が悪いこともあるんですね。描いてはアドバンス上で確認し、描いては確認し、の繰返しでした。

--対戦モードは『マリオブラザーズ』ですよね。懐かしい! これは、待ちかねていたファンが多そうですね。
鈴木:いままでのゲームボーイでは専用ケーブルで対戦するときに全員が同じカートリッジを持っていなくてはいけなかったですよね。アドバンスでは、ひとつのカートリッジで4人が遊ぶことができます。もともとその実験をかねて、『マリオブラザーズ』を作っていたんです。
木村:最初はまったく違う企画だったんですよね。
手塚:でも、今回、『マリオ』を出す機会ができたんで、これはぜひおまけとして入れようということになったんです。

--4人対戦になるとプログラムの調整が大変だったんじゃないでしょうか。
手塚さん 鈴木:最後まで苦労した部分です(笑)。
手塚:リメイクといっても、そのままの移植ではおもしろくないし、遊んでくださる方も不満ですよね。いろいろと挑戦したいなあと思って、最初は複雑な要素を入れこんでいたんですよ。でも、4人で遊ぶという段階でじゃまになってくるものもありますし、このゲームに合った4人の遊びを考えたときに、どこを削ぎ落としてどこを入れるか。その点に苦心して調整しました。
鈴木:やはり対戦は、人同士がいろいろな動きをすること自体がゲーム性ですよね。そこで、最初はいろいろと入れていたんですが、削っていくことになったんです。最終的にはシンプルな形になりました。

--対戦はどうすると勝ちなんですか。
鈴木:コインを先に5枚取るか、生き残るか。全員いなくなれば、コインを取っていなくても、生き残っている1人が勝ち。これで、早く5回勝った人が勝ちになります。

--うわー、かなりシビアな戦いになりそうですね。
手塚:プレイヤー同士でも、コインを取るのをじゃましあったり、持ち上げたり、敵にぶつけたりできるんですよ。だから、この「おじゃまプレイ」が燃えると思います。たくさんコインを集めている人をみんなでじゃましたり(笑)。
--それは楽しそうですね。

-----+-----

最初のマリオを知らない世代に送りたい

--手塚さんは、全体をまとめるときにどんなアドバイスをしたんですか。
木村さん、手塚さん 木村:グラフィック面では今回、プレイ中のキャラクターよりも大きなキャラクターを扱ったのですが、何度もチェックが入ってやり直しになりました。
手塚:オリジナルの絵が、やはり今の時代には合わなかったりするんです。ですから、それをよりいまのマリオらしくしたりしました。アドバンスでは、カラーゲームボーイより1ドットが小さくなって細かい部分が表現できるようになったんですよ。色数も増えたので、きれいな色がより出せるようになりました。ハード的には、スーパーファミコンよりも1段階進化しているんです。ですから、やはりいままでのゲームボーイのゲームより、制作時間もかかるんですよね。

--背景の重ね合わせもきれいですよね。
木村:そうですね。ゲームボーイのセル数より多いですから。あとはゲームボーイのときは、スクロールしたときに、まれに残像が流れることがあったんですよ。今回、そういったことはなくなりましたね。

--マリオシリーズということで、宮本さんの監修も厳しかったんじゃないでしょうか。
木村さん 鈴木:一番厳しかったですね。
手塚:私は宮本の隣の席なんですよ。ですから、上がってきたものを一緒にプレイして見て、2人でいろいろと検討しました。
木村:鈴木とふたりで、いつもシュンとなって帰ってきていましたね(笑)。

--やっぱりマリオだけに、宮本さんの力も入っているんでしょうね。今回は音声も豊富ですね。マリオやピーチたちが声をどんどん出していて。
手塚:そうですね。こういったこともゲームボーイでは専用のチップをのせなければできなかったんです。でも、アドバンスの場合は標準であれくらいのことができますよね。音色としてはかなり豪華です。

--キャサリンがしゃべるのでびっくりしました。
鈴木:そうですね。大ボス系はみんなしゃべりますよ。

--マリオシリーズはスタッフの間でも、やはり任天堂の看板という意識が強いですか。
鈴木さん 鈴木:そうですね。今回はオリジナルの『スーパーマリオUSA』を作ったプログラマが担当しましたので、作業はやりやすかったですね。
木村:『スーパーマリオブラザーズ』も、やはりマリオシリーズの原点ですから、根本のおもしろさがあると思います。

--マリオのキャラクターは対応ハードによって微妙に変化していますよね。
手塚:新しいアクションをさせるために、どうしても最初のキャラクターデザインでは対応できないときがあるんですよ。そういう場合は、やはり手足を長くしたりという形で、少しずつ変わっていきますね。

--今度は新しくアドバンス版のマリオが生まれるんでしょうか。
木村:でも、今回のプレイヤーキャラクターとしては、スーパーファミコン版のままですよ。でも、ひとつだけ新しいアクションが入っています。
手塚:キャラクターのイメージを変えるような変更はしていないんですよ。

手塚さん --やはり原点のよさを味わってほしい、と。
手塚:そうですね。こういった遊びをまだ知らない人はたくさんいると思うので、新鮮に遊んでいただけると思います。今後も、できれば昔のマリオシリーズをアドバンスに引き継いでいきたいですね。

Camelot's website has an interview about Mario Tennis, which deals with how they chose the character roster (from what I can make sense out of google translate) and more importantly, why they decided to name Waluigi "Waluigi".

edit: just notice it's already linked on Waluigi's page, but while the "WaruPeach" thing is common knowledge, I don't think there's a full translation of that page anywhere... is there?

I don't know if anyone is still interested in this, but I started working on the translation for the above Interview a looooong time ago and kind of forgot about it half way through. As you can see, it's quite different from the N-sider version. I'm too lazy to finish it just now (it's so time consuming T_T), but here's what I translated so far:

--今回のマリオはどんなきっかけで企画が立ちあがったんですか。
-- What was the impetus behind the design for Mario this time around?
手塚さん 手塚:アメリカで『スーパーマリオ』のゲームボーイカラーバージョン(日本では『スーパーマリオDX』としてニンテンドウパワーで発売中)が好評だったんです。
Tezuka-san: The Game Boy Color version of Super Mario (on sale in Japan through Nintendo Power as “Super Mario DX”) was popular in America.
『スーパーマリオ』を遊んでいない人には、新鮮だったんでしょうね。
It must have been fresh for people who hadn’t played “Super Mario” before.
また、以前に遊んだことのある人には懐かしいタイトルだと思います。
And I think it was a nostalgic title for the people who had played it before.
これは任天堂の資産として貴重なものなので、今回のアドバンスでぜひ出そうということになりました。
Since this is a valuable asset to Nintendo, we decided we should definitely release it on the Advance.
私はずっと宮本(情報開発本部本部長)と『マリオ』関係の仕事をしていましたので、今回宮本とともに、スーパーバイザーということでアドバイスをさせてもらいました。
Since I had a lot of experience working with Miyamoto (Nintendo EAD) on “Mario” projects, I was assigned to work with him this time as Supervisor for the Advance.

--今回の『スーパーマリオアドバンス』は、『スーパーマリオUSA』と『マリオブラザーズ』のリメイクという形ですよね。アドバンス用に作り直したんですか。
-- “Super Mario Advance” is a remake of “Super Mario USA” and “Mario Brothers” right? How did you recreate it for the Advance?
鈴木:プログラムはいちから作り直しです。
Suzuki: We rebuilt the program from square one.
木村:スーパーファミコンの『マリオコレクション』に入っていた『スーパーマリオUSA』のグラフィックで使えるデータは流用していますが、エフェクトや演出面で足りなかったものを新規で作っています。
Kimura: We used graphics data from the Mario Collection for Super Famicom, which included Super Mario USA, but we replaced the effects and presentation that weren’t good enough.
鈴木:でも、スーパーファミコンとアドバンスでは画面サイズがまず違うんです。
Suzuki: But the Super Famicom and the Advance have different screen sizes.
だから、アドバンスに合わせて地形を変えたり演出をし直さなければならなかったんです。
Because of that, we had to convert the entire landscape and change the presentation.
ですから、単純な移植ではないんですよ。
So it was not just a simple port.
鈴木さん --グラフィックの変更点というのは、主にどんなところですか。
Suzuki-san, what were the main changes you made in the graphics?
鈴木:今回は敵を連続で倒すと1UPする要素や得点のシステムを新しく入れましたので、そのへんは新規に作っていますね。
Suzuki: Because we added a new system where you can 1-UP or score points by defeating enemies consecutively, we made new graphics for that.
あとは連続で敵を倒せる場面を新しく入れて、より爽快感を出しています。
We added a new animation that plays when enemies are defeated consecutively, and it feels a lot more exciting.

--大きな敵も前作ではいなかったと思うのですが。
-- I feel like there are big enemies that weren’t there before too.
木村:そうですね。アドバンスの特徴としてオブジェクト(操作の対象となるもの。ゲームではキャラクターやアイテムなど)の拡大・縮小ができるので、それを使って、大きな敵を投げられるようにしました。
Kimura: Yeah, that’s true. One of the features of the Advance allows us to scale objects (controllable objects, such as characters or items), so we used that to make it so that you can throw some big enemies.
1画面に表示できるキャラクターも、アドバンスでは増えましたので、そのへんのアドバンスらしさは意識して出しました。
More characters can be displayed on one screen on the Advance, so we consciously tried to highlight that aspect.
あとは、液晶が反射型なので、画面が暗くならないよう色使いにはかなり気を使いましたね。
And because LCDs are so reflective, we were pretty careful when choosing colors so that the screens wouldn’t be dark.
発光型ではないので、暗くなりがちなんですよ。まだ研究中ですが、液晶の特性を活かす色を探りながらやっていますね。
They aren’t a light emitting type, so they tend to be dark. We’re still in the midst of studying it, but we’re trying to find colors that take advantage of the characteristics of the LCDs as we go along.
木村さん --ゲームボーイカラーに適した色とアドバンスに適した色は違うんですか。
Kimura-san – Are the colors that are suitable for the Game Boy Color different from those suitable for the Advance?
木村:やっぱり違いますね。出やすい色、出にくい色があるんですよ。
Kimura: Yes, they are. They both have colors that are easy to project and colors that are difficult to project.
開発機材の上で出ている色とも少し違うので、ゲームで動かしてみると、色が悪いこともあるんですね。
Since it’s also a little bit different if the colors display above the machinery, it can be hard to see where you’re moving in the game, and the colors can be a big hindrance.
描いてはアドバンス上で確認し、描いては確認し、の繰返しでした。
We checked how it would look on the Advance again and again and again.

--対戦モードは『マリオブラザーズ』ですよね。懐かしい! これは、待ちかねていたファンが多そうですね。
-- Competition Mode is quintessential “Mario Brothers.” It’s so nostalgic! Lots of fans have probably been waiting for this.
鈴木:いままでのゲームボーイでは専用ケーブルで対戦するときに全員が同じカートリッジを持っていなくてはいけなかったですよね。
Suzuki: Up until now, when you played against someone via a dedicated cable on the Game Boy, everyone needed to have the same cartridge, right?
アドバンスでは、ひとつのカートリッジで4人が遊ぶことができます。
On the Advance, 4 people can play on just one cartridge.
もともとその実験をかねて、『マリオブラザーズ』を作っていたんです。
Originally we were making “Mario Brothers” for the sake of experimenting with that.
木村:最初はまったく違う企画だったんですよね。
Kimura: In the beginning it was a completely different project.
手塚:でも、今回、『マリオ』を出す機会ができたんで、これはぜひおまけとして入れようということになったんです。
Tezuka: But this time, since with had the opportunity with “Mario,” we decided it should definitely be included as an extra feature.

I left the original Japanese lines in there for reference, or in case someone wants to offer an alternate translation. If I get the time I'll try to finish the rest. :posh:

Fantastic. I love you.

Japanese WW:Touched manual (American English version; PAL's mostly the same from what I saw)

By request of Glowsquid, here's the Ashley page stuff to the best of my ability...

キャッホー!オレは、レッド。この子はオレの親友のアシュリー。オレたちは、ダイモンドシティにあるホラーハウスっていうとこらに住んでんねん。アシュリーは魔女見習いで、魔女の必須アイテム「マジョルカ・スープ」の材料集めをしてるんやで!オレもアシュリーのためにいろんなモン集める手伝いしてるところなや。おもろいモン見つけたら教えてな~!

「・・・アシュリーのゲーム・・モン集めるの・・・。」

(たうまり、何かにタッチしたながらスライドするゲームっちゅうこっちゃな。早く集めな、アシュリー怒らしたら恐いで~。ほんまに。)
Yahoo! I'm Red. This child is my good friend, Ashley. We live in the Horror House in Diamond City. Ashley is a witch['s] apprentice and she [has to] collect the required witch's items, the ingredients of "Magical Soup". For Ashley's sake, I too am helping to look for the various things around here, somehow. If you see an interesting looking thing, let me know!

"...[In] Ashley's games...collect things..."

(In short, for these games, while you're touching something, slide it to the middle here. Collect quickly or Ashley will be[come] offended and scary. Really.)

Would someone be able to translate this bit of the JP Mario Party 3 site? The part with the evil Whispy Woods is what I'm particularly interested in.

Took some liberties with the grammar of the last one and used the wiki names for Woody and Mean Woody ("Bad Woody" would be closer, however):

キノキオ
キノキオの前の?マスに止まるとサイコロの実とコインの実のどちらかをもらえます。
Woody
Stop on the ? spaces ("mass"es?) and receive either Dice Fruit or Coin Fruit.

ワルキオ
キノキオとは逆に逆サイコロの実とマイナスコインの実をおとします。
Mean Woody
Woody's opposite(/inverse/etc.) drops Opposite Dice Fruit and Minus Coin Fruit.

チョロプーのいえ
3ヵ所の分岐点のやじるしを変更してしまうチョロプーたちが住んでいます。
Monty Mole's Home
[The] three places [where] the Monty Moles that change the arrows at the forks [in the path] live.

Walkazo said:
Mean Woody ("Bad Woody" would be closer, however):

ワルキオ
キノキオとは逆に逆サイコロの実とマイナスコインの実をおとします。
Mean Woody
Woody's opposite(/inverse/etc.) drops Opposite Dice Fruit and Minus Coin Fruit.
I ask the question because Mean Woody is currently a conjectural name, and after going to sleep, I realize I should have asked for the romanization (because wiki policies and whatnot).

Yes, next time all you do need is the confirmation that a name is the same name as the one already on the article, and romanized already at that, please say so, because translating stuff for no reason is a bit of a waste of time. Or just look for the name yourself: even before I knew Japanese, I could still match symbols and pick out names. MarioWiki:Japanese also has a complete table of katakana and hiragana for romanization purposes if anyone ever wants to give it a whack.

Anyway, I moved the page to "Waruokio" (ワルキオ = ワ wa, ル ru, キ ki, オ o).

Double-posting to draw attention to NOM's Super Mario Sunshine Interview. N-Sider translated it, but it's ludicrously poorly-written...

Q: From trial and error…

Yoshiaki Koizumi: It was thought that the world was daringly out of character with Mario. Therefore, I thought that a man type character would be used at first. But if there is a man next to Mario, there is a sense of incongruity. Then, we sort of unified the character we thought finally suited the view of the world. However, regarding the man type character we partly made, since the island's Monte fellows and Mare fellows were wacky cartoony residents, they did not have sense of incongruity. Also, the script writer of Animal Crossing helped sequence the resident's words.

(Seriously, what the fuck?)

... and seems similar to their Super Mario Advance interview in term of making shit up. Compare NSider's and this partial translation by a Nintendo World Report staff member

[quote author=NSider]
Q: Did Mr. Shigeru Miyamoto decide the title Super Mario Sunshine?

Kenta Usui: You could say that. Ultimately, Koizumi decided on it though.

Yoshiaki Koizumi: We worked together on that one.

Q: The fact that you can temporarily fly in the sky with the nozzle radically opens up a lot of new gameplay mechanics.

Usui: There were about ten candidates for the type of nozzle which we should use. The FLUDD was actually not one of the favorites, but seemed to work best in a gameplay setting.

Tezuka: The direction of the game would have been too complicated and risky with some of the nozzles we were contemplating.

Usui: There are plenty of shortcuts that can be accessed with the FLUDD. Back to the nozzle point, if this game was not 90% dedicated to the nozzle peripheral, then some of the more complicated nozzles would have been used.

Tezuka: Better gameplay was important. Priority was given to it.

Koizumi: The game is not linear at all.

Tezuka: With the move from 2D to 3D, it is important that we allow for such freedoms.

Q: Was the control constantly adjusted?

Usui: Of course. Miyamoto made sure of that. Koizumi started focusing on that just so he wouldn't have to hear it from the boss.

Q: The scope seems immense thanks to the new overworld.

Tezuka: Yes because it is large.

Usui: The area is about 4 times greater than that of Super Mario 64.

Q: What features didn't make the cut?

Usui: Well of course several nozzles we had on the cutting room. Some preliminary gun type water nozzles could not be used because of all the controversy in the United States. While we put in Yoshi, there were several things we omitted. Some aspects revolving around a Yoshi vomitting water fed to him.[/quote]

[quote author=NWR]Nintendo Online Magazine (NOM): Did Mr. Miyamoto come up with the Super Mario Sunshine title?
Usui: No, Koizumi came up with the name.
Koizumi: I thought Miyamoto would disagree with it, but he seemed to have liked it very much.

NOM: Besdies the normal nozzle, by using the hover nozzle you can fly for a brief moment. We think this changes the nature of the action by quite a lot.
Usui: We had about ten kinds of nozzles, and the hover nozzle was one of the last options.
Tezuka: However, if you have so many kinds of parts, the player becomes confused. As a result, we made the newest concept of hovering the main part of the game.
Usui: But from the view of people that make action games, having a super function like hovering is kind of like cheating. There are actually courses where we tried very hard to make the routes complicated, but with the hover function, you can use a shortcut. As developers, the decision to allow this or not was very difficult.
Tezuka: However, it was more important that when the players play the game, they feel good. As a result, this time we priotized that first.
Koizumi: Basically Miyamoto wanted the game to be broad. This time there are more than one route to the destination.

NOM: By increasing the number of routes, the game feels very vast.
Usui: The area alone is about 4 times Mario 64.

NOM: Were there any stages that did not make it to the final game?
Usui: The nozzles that did not make it to the game seem to be more interesting to talk about. In the beginning, we had a lot of difficulty with the design of the pump. One idea was putting Yoshi on the head and spitting water from the cap. Another idea was having Mario himself spit out the water. In the very beginning, we thought about using guns, but dropped the idea since we considered that when we are releasing in America, we cannot have connections with guns.
Koizumi: We had many nozzles such as one that can shoot water up like fireworks, and another one that was like a sprinkler. But to insert all of them was impossible. We tried to leave only the things that were fun. However, it was difficult because when things become too fun, they can instead become boring. Till the very end we adjusted things like the amount of water the pump holds, the size of the water droplets, the distance the water shoots until.

NOM: Was the control adjusted a lot?
Usui: Miyamoto is very picky about controls.
Koizumi: Miyamoto practically only checked that. (laugh) ][/quote]

Seriously, N-Sider's read like the author pasted the thing in google translate and wrote a fake translation based on what he could make sense of.

edit: analysis by someone reasonably fluent in Japanese

<_2257>: ummmm well their phrasing is awkward
<_2257>: and i dont like the translation of ningen as "man"
<_2257>: sounds very outdated
<Glowsquid>: is "ningen" like, "realistic" or something?
<_2257>: no, "ningen" is "person"
<Glowsquid>: ah ok.
<_2257>: not even "human", because they apply it to animal characters and such
<Glowsquid>: I asked this because literally the first quesiton of the interview (Q: Did Mr. Shigeru Miyamoto decide the title Super Mario Sunshine?), N-Sider says:
<Glowsquid>: " Kenta Usui: You could say that. Ultimately, Koizumi decided on it though."
<Glowsquid>: while the other translation I found says "Usui: No, Koizumi came up with the name."
<Glowsquid>: and if you look at the thread from the OP, there were similar differences in another interview they translated and another one by someone who appears decent in Japanese
<_2257>: i think its because "ie" is both slang for "no" and a conjugation of the verb "iu" whcih means say
<_2257>: "ie" is wahts actually written
<_2257>: but uh, no is definitely what it actually means
<_2257>: in this context
<Glowsquid>: ah
<_2257>: but yeah i think theyve got it baaasically right
<_2257>: but like
<_2257>: "it was thought that the world was daringly out of character with mario"
<Glowsquid>: "daringly out of character" should become a mario fandom meme
<_2257>: thats way too strong for what was said
<_2257>: its more like
<_2257>: "not particularly mario-like"
<Glowsquid>: ah
<Glowsquid>: Even with N-Siders borked translation, I get the gist that they initially had more realistic humans but they thought it was too weird
<Glowsquid>: but, man

Glowsquid said:
My request probably won't be granted until 2022, but if someone could translate Nintendo Online Magazine's Wario Land III interview, that'd be cool.
That page is mostly nitty-gritty programming stuff, but the page before it looks like it's at least got some character design stuff. All of it filled with unfamiliar kanji, of course. The second interview too.

Although maybe the "man-type character" is Il Piantissimo? And they were always gonna have the Nokis and Piantas, so they decided having the one dude as Mario's racing rival wasn't so bad. At lest, that's the vibe I got from the N-Sider paragraph...

Glowsquid asked for some (relatively) quick (n' dirty) translations of Ashley badge info, so here it is (each one is top L, top R, 2nd from top L, 2nd from top R, etc.)

ashley_badge.png

- This series's highly recommended character! Witch in training Ashley!
- [She looks] expressionless but [she is] excited about Halloween! This kind of Ashley-sama [is the] ultimate!
- [The] mischievous witch Ashley! Anybody else's hands getting sweaty [on their] 3DS?
- Big sister (nee-san) Nikki is also a witch! Ashley also came flying in! (or she flew in with Ashley, also the vibe is that they're like sisters in arms, rather than literal sisters)
- Ashley badge / Ashley appears! Happy Halloween!
- Halloween collab Nikki, Ashley / Collab of the witches big sister Nikki and Ashley!

ashley_badge2.png

- Futhermore, the witch that was popular at Halloween appears again!
- Santa Cosplay Ashley-sama! Surrender [to her this] Christmas!
- [She's a] witch but enjoys Christmas! [She's] delivering presents!
- This kind of Ashley-sama is an early Christmas present!?
- Free play present~! Is that Spanish for free play!? (i.e. not relevant)
- Santa Ashley / Delivering presents!

ashley_badge3.png

- Long-sleeved kimono Ashley-sama! Happy New Year! (more literally: Thank you in advance for all your support this year)
- The kimono also looks good [on her] ne~!
- [She's a] witch but she still goes to the first shrine visitation!?
- Long-sleeved kimono Ashley! / The kimono-[-clad] witch [is] visiting the first shrine! Where is the shrine!?

i like how ashley is an shintoist

バクハツ1UP(アップ)風船(ふうせん)
Bakuhatsu 1-Up Fūsen
Explosion 1-Up Balloon

(the guide's Furigana are in the brackets)

「スーパーマリオ ヨッシーアイランド攻略ガイドブック」 (Super Mario: Yossy Island Kōryaku Guide Book).

My research tells me that it was published by T2 Publishing (T2出版). Wouldn't they technically be beneath Shogakukan in terms of validity?

yeah.

but we have that guide and we don't have the shoga one. if the shoga guide is found and says something different then their names will be used.

I have a couple of super-old black-and-white scans of Shoga's guide, and Mock-Up isn't listed with the enemies.

I remember pouring through Nintendo Power's guide not long ago, and despite them naming many redundant enemies, that one was not among them.

Edit: If you were asking if the decoy Shy Guy is in Shogakukan's guide, yes it is. And it has the same name and everything. Just look under the bandit.

Double Edit: I just noticed that in T2's guide, Lantern Ghosts, who are normally Kantera-kun (カンテラくん), are billed as Chika Heihō (地下ヘイホー). I hope I'm not gonna have to hunt down more than just Shogakukan guides now...

Back