Ray Trace

Fastest at casing, fastest at carrying
Poll Committee
Retired Wiki Staff
Pronouns
She/her
MarioWiki
Ray Trace
Well yeah, I had it for quite a while now (thanks to an accident involving a ripped can of pepsi and the 3DS) but the ABYX buttons had gotten even worse over the years. I find it incredibly hard to push the buttons as they are lodged halfway through (did a comparison with my sister's and my sisters were SO much easier to push). The buttons have gotten sticky to a point that pushing them is very unresponsive and it makes it VERY difficult to play a variety of games (Partners in Time, Mario Tennis Open, some future ones such as Super Smash Bros., etc.). I tried scrubbing them with toothbrush and water MANY times and the problem persists (and the buttons are still lodged halfway through).

I want to send this to Nintendo ONLY as a last resort. If it's the only option...well I'll guess I'll do it because it's hampering my ability to enjoy games.

If this doesn't work, there's soda probably underneath where the buttons are or something, making repair your only option at this point.

Master Boo said:
Did you try cleaning it?
Eh, she said that:

Baby Luigi said:
I tried scrubbing them with toothbrush and water MANY times and the problem persists (and the buttons are still lodged halfway through).

I could recommend disassembling your 3DS and cleaning the insides... But unless you want to void your warranty, don't do that.

Otherwise, sending it to Nintendo is best, I feel. :/ Sucks that this happened.

Mario4Ever said:
If this doesn't work, there's soda probably underneath where the buttons are or something, making repair your only option at this point.

Tried that, it doesn't work. It also doesn't make the buttons pop back up.

Unknown Entity said:
I could recommend disassembling your 3DS and cleaning the insides... But unless you want to void your warranty, don't do that.

Pretty sure my warranty already expired, since I purchased mine well before any good games were released (an ambassador 3DS). But I'm scared of breaking my 3DS beyond repair. I'm also afraid they'll wipe out my data like they did to my Wii like 2 times (the second time, they actually gave me a new Wii and a new Brawl game for free)

Man, guess I have to send my 3DS to Nintendo if there's nothing else and I have to use my sister's 3DS... :/

I had this problem about two months ago with my PS3 controller. My dad poured olive oil over the buttons, as a lubricant.

It works perfectly, if you don't mind your device smelling like olives for a week or two.

Sounds like an odd solution, but I'm worried about damaging the system if I pour oil all over it >_>

Baby Luigi said:
Sounds like an odd solution, but I'm worried about damaging the system if I pour oil all over it >_>
I don't think it'd help honestly.

controllers and handhelds work differently so it could end up damaging the handheld.

Sis, I keep telling you that we should send the thing to Nintendo and have it fixed. Besides, save data is stored in game cartridges, not in the console, no? Did the game's data change once you moved your New Leaf cartridge to my 3DS? No. So, don't worry about that, and let's take it to Nintendo.

I never have much problem when it comes to money....I might need to ask parents to fix....otherwise I can afford it

Back