Author Topic: Suggestions for Next Year  (Read 8584 times)

Lakituthequick

• with lowercase T and Q
  • Awards Committee
  • Celestial Guide
  • Rest in Peace, Walkazo 😢
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestions for Next Year
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2013, 03:48:08 PM »
On that servey, do you mean a simple poll or more a Google thing with text inputs?

Pyro

• Power Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2013, 03:53:10 PM »
There are quite a few things that we should remove, like Dry Bowser Jr or whatever it's called.

Azusa Miura

• Wiki Administrator
  • Shine Sprite
  • Turboo
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2013, 11:41:36 PM »
i was thinking that maybe we could move each up/shroom poll into a little part of the dossier template, like.... like on the right of it, or something

and then link to the polls/dossier on the anniversary page

i think that would potentially bring in more people than having them on just userpedia or something and it would also allow for informed votes assuming people actually look at the dossier and don't just click buttons

i hope that wouldn't happen

Super Mario Bros.

• Retired Wiki Staff
  • Core 'Shroom Staff
  • Shine Sprite
  • Oh boy! Haha!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2013, 11:55:04 PM »
I like Dippy's idea on requiring presenters to research their awards as a means of quality control, and I also like Turboo's idea of including the polls in the dossier tables and linking to the voting there from the Awards page itself. I don't really like the idea of splitting off or renaming the Userpedia Awards, though.

Also, Ralph's idea of having a survey on the Awards would be neat if implemented correctly.

SMB artwork by Edofenrir.

Anton

• Froppy
  • #mwchat Admin
  • Power Star
  • Hypnotoad
  • kero?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2013, 02:47:59 AM »
I don't really like the idea of (...) renaming the Userpedia Awards, though.

Yeah, neither do I, even though I may have implied it??  What I meant was just being more open to things about the community as a whole.

Lakituthequick

• with lowercase T and Q
  • Awards Committee
  • Celestial Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2013, 05:57:40 AM »
There is one thing about the times though. As I have said somewhere during the awards, I have a counter in my presentations.

This are them at moment of posting.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

While the difference isn't big, it seems that there where less readers for the Mario Awards then for the Userpedia Awards.

Cirdec

• Celestial Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2013, 06:32:43 AM »
There is one thing about the times though. As I have said somewhere during the awards, I have a counter in my presentations.

While the difference isn't big, it seems that there where less readers for the Mario Awards then for the Userpedia Awards.

That counts only users, or guests as well?

Lakituthequick

• with lowercase T and Q
  • Awards Committee
  • Celestial Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2013, 06:38:27 AM »

That counts only users, or guests as well?
Everything that is able to visit websites.

Nabber

• Mushroom Attendant
  • nabber
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2013, 08:43:32 AM »
What exactly does Dippy mean by researching the award they're presenting? Does he mean to make an informative presentation, or for presenters to simply know about what they're presenting?

Walkazo

• Dragon Lady
  • Wiki Bureaucrat
  • Shine Sprite
  • Thou liest!
    • View Profile
    • Fanfiction.net
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2013, 01:56:05 PM »
So you don't get misinformation or things like "Well, User X won this award. I dunno why. But yeah, apparently they're good, so good for them, yay." It seems only fair to the users up for the award to actually have something said about them, rather than empty platitudes or bad intel. If you want to do a fun comic or something else non-facts-based (and/or minimalistic), maybe stick to the Mario and Fail awards (imho).

Also, for the dossiers, it might be good to ask the nominated users themselves for info. I.e. there was stuff in my award presentation that I wouldn't have known if it hadn't come up in conversation with the users in question at some point (so needless to say, such tidbits weren't in the dossiers either). Bullet form lists might also not be the way to go, since folks might just vote for whoever has the longest list, which might not actually be an accurate measure.

I wonder if making some of the UP and 'Shroom awards write-in only would help cut out name-based voting? I.e. have the nominations on the dossiers only, so that you'd actually have to read through the pages to see who's available and cut-and-paste whoever's name you choose. Maybe give each nominee a number then a name ("5 - User X"), and then say you'll only count votes where the proper number-name combo is present, to make it easier to ignore spam votes (and then have a specific number for all write-ins, which would only be revealed on the dossier pages). Or maybe that's too much work, I dunno, just a thought.

Lakituthequick

• with lowercase T and Q
  • Awards Committee
  • Celestial Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2013, 02:03:03 PM »
Downside on the number thing is that random guest may enter random numbers anyway. Other then that, sounds good.

Walkazo

• Dragon Lady
  • Wiki Bureaucrat
  • Shine Sprite
  • Thou liest!
    • View Profile
    • Fanfiction.net
« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2013, 02:12:12 PM »
Then don't explain on the vote page (except "see dossiers for the names"), but on the dossier page. At the top, in big bold letters ("cut and paste the number and the name"), and at the top of each section in case someone tries to skip down. It's unlikely a guest will know to specifically type in a number then a name - unless they're hell-bent on trollin' and check the dossier page to make sure they're doing it right, but either way, it'd still probably result in a better ratio of informed votes to empty ones.

Lakituthequick

• with lowercase T and Q
  • Awards Committee
  • Celestial Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2013, 02:16:14 PM »
That seems good.

Hobbes

• Wiki Administrator
  • Core 'Shroom Staff
  • Star Spirit
  • tucayo
  • Poll Committee Vice-Chairman
    • View Profile
    • The 'Shroom
« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2013, 02:27:27 PM »
That sounds good. Thanks, I'll pass it on.

Ritsuko Akizuki

• also known as Blocky
  • Global Moderator
  • Shine Sprite
  • Superchao
  • give it up for loud noises
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2013, 02:59:14 PM »
From what I remember, we can't do that on Polldaddy at least. I think they did it for a couple of the Shroom Awards some year, though.

Forgot how, unfortunately.

Hobbes

• Wiki Administrator
  • Core 'Shroom Staff
  • Star Spirit
  • tucayo
  • Poll Committee Vice-Chairman
    • View Profile
    • The 'Shroom
« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2013, 03:08:49 PM »
Google Docs, IIRC.

Walkazo

• Dragon Lady
  • Wiki Bureaucrat
  • Shine Sprite
  • Thou liest!
    • View Profile
    • Fanfiction.net
« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2013, 03:13:00 PM »
Either way, I suppose another option would be to make the voting page simply say "Option 1", "Option 2", etc. (or use letters) and then have the dossiers show what/who each option pertains to. You'd still risk people voting for numbers/letters at random, and might want to skip certain entries (i.e. don't use "Q" or "X"), but the hope would be that those random votes would still cause less noise in the results than the name biases.

Anton

• Froppy
  • #mwchat Admin
  • Power Star
  • Hypnotoad
  • kero?
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2013, 12:01:39 AM »
Also, for the dossiers, it might be good to ask the nominated users themselves for info. I.e. there was stuff in my award presentation that I wouldn't have known if it hadn't come up in conversation with the users in question at some point (so needless to say, such tidbits weren't in the dossiers either). Bullet form lists might also not be the way to go, since folks might just vote for whoever has the longest list, which might not actually be an accurate measure.

This probably has no weight on anything, but just saying in general writing those dossier things was a pain in the ass since suddenly there was a deadline and I had to take up a majority of them.  Information was researched as best as possible within the short notice, so I think they could be better next year if we know that we're doing them and actually know when they're due at a decent time before rather than "hey btw they need to be done in less than a week".  The 'whoever has the longest list' thing was a concern of mine too, but quite frankly it was the quickest and easiest way.

I wonder if making some of the UP and 'Shroom awards write-in only would help cut out name-based voting? I.e. have the nominations on the dossiers only, so that you'd actually have to read through the pages to see who's available and cut-and-paste whoever's name you choose. Maybe give each nominee a number then a name ("5 - User X"), and then say you'll only count votes where the proper number-name combo is present, to make it easier to ignore spam votes (and then have a specific number for all write-ins, which would only be revealed on the dossier pages). Or maybe that's too much work, I dunno, just a thought.

I like that idea but I'm not sure if that would just result in people not wanting to spend the time to vote at all.  I know that sounds silly since it takes like half a second to type something in, but I know that will deter someone.  I'd like to explore this idea some more since it seems like a more fair option than just cutting whatever is winning due to blind votes.

Walkazo

• Dragon Lady
  • Wiki Bureaucrat
  • Shine Sprite
  • Thou liest!
    • View Profile
    • Fanfiction.net
« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2013, 10:30:50 AM »
This probably has no weight on anything, but just saying in general writing those dossier things was a pain in the ass since suddenly there was a deadline and I had to take up a majority of them.  Information was researched as best as possible within the short notice, so I think they could be better next year if we know that we're doing them and actually know when they're due at a decent time before rather than "hey btw they need to be done in less than a week".  The 'whoever has the longest list' thing was a concern of mine too, but quite frankly it was the quickest and easiest way.
Yeesh. It took me a solid day of researching and writing to do my one set of biographies, so I'd hate to think what it was like to have to do multiple sets of info in such short notice... At least next year, you won't have to start from scratch for some (most?) of the awards, saving you some trouble.