Author Topic: Suggestions for Next Year  (Read 9001 times)

Rin Tohsaka

• Head of the Tohsaka Family
  • Retired Wiki Staff
  • Power Star
  • Super-Yoshi
  • #1 Magecrafter
    • View Profile
Suggestions for Next Year
« on: August 10, 2013, 12:15:18 AM »
another year another dollar

hee heehee hee

Two

• The second sister
  • Donkey Kong
  • LN1
  • L - N - 1
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestions for Next Year
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2013, 12:32:11 AM »
Bring back the "Worst Baby" category.

New Super Mario

• NSM
  • Celestial Guide
  • Ghirahim
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2013, 06:16:52 AM »
I still think we should do Userpedia awards on Userpedia exclusively. And heck, maybe you can only vote on the Shroom awards on the actual shroom page.

Crocodile Dippy

• Toxic Shock Syndrome
  • Retired Wiki Staff
  • Star Spirit
  • Pokemon DP
  • God I'm good at being an owl
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2013, 06:45:36 AM »
establish a rule that presenters are absolutely required to actually research their choice of award, since the presentation for Favourite Musician physically hurt me
Rest in peace, Walkazo.

Pyro

• Power Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2013, 07:25:35 AM »
i need to make minecraft games 2.0 deluxe advance reloaded

Nabber

• Mushroom Attendant
  • nabber
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2013, 08:26:00 AM »
What if we were to have the different ceremonies on different nights?

For instance, we start with Shroom on Tuesday, Userpedia Awards on Wednesday, Fail on Thursday, all leading up to the Mario awards on Friday (or something like that.) That would give us more time to present the awards, allowing people to actually read the presentations (since I know a lot of people like me didn't have time to read all of them.) It would also make things less hectic, and allow people in different time zones to read more of the awards and not necessarily stress out their sleeping schedule.

Paul Heyman

• The ONE, behind the ONE, in TWENTY-THREE and ONE.
  • Shine Sprite
  • GutsehMan
  • Ladies and gentlemen, my name is Paul Heyman.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2013, 09:23:15 AM »

For instance, we start with Shroom on Tuesday, Userpedia Awards on Wednesday, Fail on Thursday, all leading up to the Mario awards on Friday (or something like that.) That would give us more time to present the awards, allowing people to actually read the presentations (since I know a lot of people like me didn't have time to read all of them.) It would also make things less hectic, and allow people in different time zones to read more of the awards and not necessarily stress out their sleeping schedule.

this is actually a pretty good idea, but think of it time-wise

people would have to enter in presentations earlier if we were to do that

having it all on one day helps a clear schedule to be made, presentations and all

3DS Friend Code: 0576-4885-3090

Lakituthequick

• with lowercase T and Q
  • Awards Committee
  • Celestial Guide
  • Rest in Peace, Walkazo 😢
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2013, 09:43:11 AM »
and allow people in different time zones to read more of the awards and not necessarily stress out their sleeping schedule.
Not entirely true, there will always be people that have to pop up at night.

This idea would make it four nights in a row.

John Doe

• Ace Ice Cream Salesman...?
  • Star Spirit
  • Epic Nitwit
    • View Profile
    • Backloggery
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2013, 09:54:45 AM »
we should have more people with party hats next year

Nabber

• Mushroom Attendant
  • nabber
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2013, 10:06:05 AM »
we should have more people willing to put party hats on 26-story mechs next year

Lakituthequick

• with lowercase T and Q
  • Awards Committee
  • Celestial Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2013, 10:11:21 AM »
I asked for a hat but nobody cared.

Paul Heyman

• The ONE, behind the ONE, in TWENTY-THREE and ONE.
  • Shine Sprite
  • GutsehMan
  • Ladies and gentlemen, my name is Paul Heyman.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2013, 10:16:28 AM »
and allow people in different time zones to read more of the awards and not necessarily stress out their sleeping schedule.
Not entirely true, there will always be people that have to pop up at night.

This idea would make it four nights in a row.

but, if we were to do userpedia/shroom one night and fail/mario the next night, that would work out, it's only 2 nights in a row

3DS Friend Code: 0576-4885-3090

Hobbes

• Wiki Administrator
  • Core 'Shroom Staff
  • Star Spirit
  • tucayo
  • Poll Committee Vice-Chairman
    • View Profile
    • The 'Shroom
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2013, 11:01:49 AM »
All Shroom suggestions are greatly appreciated and will be discussed soon. It's clear the Dossiers didn't have the impact we had hoped for and something needs to be done.

And I agree with Dippy and Nabber. I haven't even had the chance to finish reading Fail and Mario.

Shygul

• Donkey Kong
    • View Profile
    • my new website plz check it out and share on facebook
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2013, 11:07:32 AM »

that would be awesome imo

BMB

• Celestial Guide
  • Baby Mario Bloops
  • BMB
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2013, 11:21:40 AM »

that would be awesome imo

I definitely think that 'Shroom and UP on one night, leading up to Fail and Mario the next day. Plus, that enables more people like europeans and australians to be able to get to see the full awards instead of having to stay up all night.

Also, I think that I shouldn't have been let in the chatroom this year (omg, I must have been REALLY tired, I'm so sorry).

Lakituthequick

• with lowercase T and Q
  • Awards Committee
  • Celestial Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2013, 11:32:38 AM »
It's clear the Dossiers didn't have the impact we had hoped for and something needs to be done.
Talking about that, maybe while still having the polls on the Wiki, have user-only polls on the forums as well, then taking averages. This essentially gives us users two votes.

NSY

• Celestial Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2013, 11:54:14 AM »
I agree with Dippy and BMB's ideas.

I highly disagree with NSM's ideas, the Userpeadia Awards should stay here because this is supposed to be the awards base. In fact, I think the Userpeadia Awards should be renamed to the Community Awards because UP is starting to die out. Also only 2 or 3 awards were related to UP, the remaining awards (including U10) just covered other parts of the Community.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 12:02:24 PM by nsymon »
Rest in Peace Walkazo, forever will be missed

Ralph

• Peese shut mouf
  • Donkey Kong
  • ralphfan
  • Thank you based god
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2013, 12:59:06 PM »
Dippy: I like that.

Nabber: That would require people to free up more time on their schedule.  It's been discussed before and most people didn't want to do that.

Anton

• Froppy
  • #mwchat Admin
  • Star Spirit
  • Hypnotoad
  • kero?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2013, 03:21:09 PM »
Per Ralph, it's been discussed and didn't really pan out too well--good on paper, not with execution.  It makes it easier on people attending, but it makes things much more difficult for people putting it together.  Plus it really risks losing a lot of people for the Non-Mario awards.  As for the argument about not having time to read the presentations:  this is a forum.  Unless the posts are deleted you have infinite time to read the presentations.  I know it's more fun to read them as they come up, but at least in my view this is something that's not a huge priority.  I missed the entire day and will be going back to read them.  There will always be people who will miss it, or part of it, for one reason or another.  The best we can do is try to please the most amount of people as possible, and some people will be shafted with this.

I highly disagree with NSM's ideas, the Userpeadia Awards should stay here because this is supposed to be the awards base. In fact, I think the Userpeadia Awards should be renamed to the Community Awards because UP is starting to die out. Also only 2 or 3 awards were related to UP, the remaining awards (including U10) just covered other parts of the Community.

Pretty much what NSY's thought process is (except the dying out part--UP is "dying" in the sense that it's not what it was originally, but it's still intact and active).  I've personally been gearing towards them being Community Awards slowly.  Maybe not next year, but it's something to work towards and see if it's something that will work.

All Shroom suggestions are greatly appreciated and will be discussed soon. It's clear the Dossiers didn't have the impact we had hoped for and something needs to be done.

I think they helped a little, but yeah not as much as hoped.  I think we should still keep them for next year; perhaps just swap out and plug in the new nominations to limit the amount of work to be done.  The reason I wanted the dossiers to be done was to provide a more educated vote and I did see the impact of that a bit, but...that Dry Bones Jr win.  Like, I know only about 4 people who even know what it is or remember it, and it won.  Clear to me that people were voting based on name alone and we'll have to discuss further ideas to avoid this without compromising anything else.  For example, moving the vote and ceremony over to UP will help keep the votes informed, but it will also limit the amount of voters in general and avoid any exposure to new people--same for the shroom missing out on potential new readers and writers.

I'm open to discussion with other hosts and stuff for what to do next year; I just don't want to jump into a big new idea without careful thought.

Ralph

• Peese shut mouf
  • Donkey Kong
  • ralphfan
  • Thank you based god
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2013, 03:33:48 PM »
As for the overall state of the awards, I know there are a few people that want to take UP, Shroom and the like in different directions.

I'd like to see a community survey and get wide input on what to do with stuff like that, and what people want the overall direction and goal of the awards to be.