why does everyone love gen 1 of pokemon so much

Lorenz Hellman Gloucester

absolutely the best boy dont even try to debate it
really. the pokemon are kind of meh, the glitches were everywhere, the split between what types are special and which are not is weird(physical shadow ball im looking at you) some pokemon are really broken, and the list goes on and on and on....

Hideyoshi said:
really. the pokemon are kind of meh, the glitches were everywhere, the split between what types are special and which are not is weird(physical shadow ball im looking at you) some pokemon are really broken, and the list goes on and on and on....

^ this.

I feel that some people like the first game of a series, and then did the sequels because of nostalgia and lack of that feeling of something completely new to video games.

But if you're referring to genwunners, then they need to understand that if Generation V and Generation I was out at the same time, Gen V would probably be more popular than Gen I to them. They truly need to be not so narrow-minded about everything past Gen I because its just as good, if not better, than Gen I.

Rehttp://www.marioboards.com/in: why does everyone love gen 1 of pokemon so much

well gen 1 pokes were fine really besides some stat distributions.

Everything else about the game is laughable though, from even worse unbalance, to pathetic ai, to really lackluster areas.

Basically i guess you could say generation 1 is just big lump of overratedness.

Re: Rehttp://www.marioboards.com/in: why does everyone love gen 1 of pokemon so much

Zae said:

Everything else about the game is laughable though, from even worse unbalance, to pathetic ai, to really lackluster areas.

exactly. the game can easily be beaten with just a psychic type pokemon because the special stats were one thing and it had no freaking thing to counter it in the game except for ONE type which only had three pokemon. which were, of course, weak to freaking psychic. so the game is a joke.

Re: Rehttp://www.marioboards.com/in: why does everyone love gen 1 of pokemon so much

Hideyoshi said:
Zae said:

exactly. the game can easily be beaten with just a psychic type pokemon because the special stats were one thing and it had no freaking thing to counter it in the game except for ONE type which only had three pokemon. which were, of course, weak to freaking psychic. so the game is a joke.

whats really funny is the fact that butterfree alone could destroy the game with little to no effort.

It's that bad. It didn't really feel like some pressing adventure as every foe didn't seem to think properly.

I also hear that if your pokemon is weak to a certain type the enemy ai will spam that move. Of course this leads to buffs/debuffs just being used constantly.

Hideyoshi said:
And that's why they made the remakes.

Zae said:
Hideyoshi said:
Zae said:

whats really funny is the fact that butterfree alone could destroy the game with little to no effort.

It's that bad. It didn't really feel like some pressing adventure as every foe didn't seem to think properly.

I also hear that if your pokemon is weak to a certain type the enemy ai will spam that move. Of course this leads to buffs/debuffs just being used constantly.
but wait, theres more. the "oh so feared criminal syndicate" specializes in one of the two types weak to the most op pokemon of the game. and also, im talking about gen 1. not the remakes. the remakes are far better.

I think at this moment, Gamefreak was inexperienced with balance and did not realize Psy was too strong, they fixed it with the two new types in Gen II.

Hideyoshi said:
Zae said:
Hideyoshi said:
Zae said:

but wait, theres more. the "oh so feared criminal syndicate" specializes in one of the two types weak to the most op pokemon of the game. and also, im talking about gen 1. not the remakes. the remakes are far better.

Their boss specializes is Ground though.

list of reasons why I like Gen1:

Eevee
Eeveelutions

more serious post later today.

Koopa Kid said:
Hideyoshi said:

which were better to say the least, but gen 1 still feels the weakest gen to me.

Nothing really that interesting aside from mewtwo and zapdos in the game.

I mean the pokes are nice and all but the region is just so meh.

Zae said:
Koopa Kid said:
Hideyoshi said:

which were better to say the least, but gen 1 still feels the weakest gen to me.

Nothing really that interesting aside from mewtwo and zapdos in the game.

I mean the pokes are nice and all but the region is just so meh.
i mean, one of the freaking legendaries was just thrown in after arcanine couldn't be a legendary because 2 birds and a dog wouldnt make sense. and none of you even start with ïts the first one cut it some slack" you certainly didnt give gen 4 any slack even though its the first one on a more complex system.my rant about gen 1 is now over. let my rant about gen 2 begin. the region is meh, and to make that up they just copy/pasted the first one into it with the excuse of it taking place 3 years later. bullshit. its just so you could make an otherwise short game, a game that just drags on. hey, you remember those legendary birds that were pretty cool? we replaced them with 3 legendary hamsters that act like freaking wimps. really. the only things i liked about gen 2 were some pokemon, some of the music, and how it introduced dark types and removed some glitches. thats it.

because venusaur, blastoise, charizard, nidoking, arcanine, poliwrath, alakazam, golem, gengar, starmie, mr. mime, scyther, electabuzz, gyarados, vaporeon, jolteon, aerodactyl, snorlax, articuno, zapdos, dragonite, and mewtwo are all really cool pokemon, as are their evolutionary lines (or at least imo). that's a pretty good amount of good pokemon from the region, and certainly more than gen II, gen III, and gen IV had

not to mention that gengar, starmie, gyarados, vaporeon, jolteon, and dragonite are all excellent battling pokemon

Don't get me wrong, I personally think Gen V was the best. But Gen I has a lot of good Pokemon that you can't discount.

the real reason is that it has me in it

and gabu-- uh, charmander

ok but seriously where are these mythical people who think gen 1 is the best? ive never actually met one

Bulbasaur said:

ok but seriously where are these mythical people who think gen 1 is the best? ive never actually met one

well they've kinda vanished over the years.

I remember seeing plenty on mfgg that even stated any pokemon outside 150 is not a pokemon.

im sure there are still some of them around but they seem to be mostly rare nowdays.

anyway.

gen 1 is pretty infamous for missingno and also mew too.

althought I have to say it introduced concepts that would be reused later.

like the walking pikachu from Yellow was one of the concepts that would be reused later in gen 4

Bulbasaur said:

I feel like more people would say Gen 2 is the best.

Which I agree with, but then again I haven't played anything past Gen 2.

Xpike said:
Nostalgia.

This. Not to mention, this was when the Pokemon craze was just starting. EVERYONE wanted to play it, and stuff like the anime, the movies, ect just increased this hype.

Although, you gotta admit, the actual games were pretty innovative with their whole 'catching monsters' thing. I mean, EVERY Pokemon that wasn't a trainer battle you could catch and use, not just a certain few.

Also, most people who started with Gen I never really played the other games. That's why they base their experience on what the Pokemon look like.

Hideyoshi said:
They made remakes in america. where glitches are (almost) absent. i like the orginal because 151/151 are awesome.

And i absoulutly disagree with the people who hate Mr. Mime.

Well, I know a lot of people feel that many Pokemon past Gen II were very unoriginal and unappealing, and that they were just slapped together, and then point out Vanillite evolution (which was designed by an American for the record).

And I definitely disagree; a lot of Pokemon in the later generation has more background history on their origin and I do feel like they are still being very creative with the series.

Bulbasaur said:

just look at the youtube comments. its really sad how much people are genwunners. its almost the only thing they are serious about.

Cirdec said:
Most of Youtube comments are silly anyway.
true, but... yeah. its like the only thing they are serious about. you know, i once saw a playthrough of both pokemon crystal and yellow where one guy just kept on bitching about gen 4.

Back