Collaboration: Template Names

Time Turner

You are filled with determination. (R/GD/TT)
So, my proposal passed. This means that a bunch of templates will be renamed and respective articles will be edited to fit the changes. However, this passed at an awkward time. While I have access to the internet, I won't be able to spend time on actually making any changes. At the very least, I can make a list of all the changes, but for now, I'll post this list publicly. My hubris is telling me that I should just lock this list in my "unfinished" page and leave it be, but I don't want nothing to happen to this, and besides, I'm smart enough to realize that there's simply too much work for one man. Even if nobody works on this, I still want to work on this list for my own sake. With that said...

Template:TAoSMB3 (will become "Template:TAoSMB3 Episodes")
Template:The Adventures of Super Mario Bros. 3 (will move to "Template:TAoSMB3")
Template:SMBSS (will become "Template:TSMBSS Episodes")
Template:The Super Mario Bros. Super Show! Animated (will become "Template:TSMBSS Animated")
Template:The Super Mario Bros. Super Show! Live (will become "Template:TSMBSS Live")
Template:SMWTV to (will become "Template:SMWTV Episodes")
Template:Super Mario World TV (will move to "Template:SMWTV")

(more to come)

Template:Battlecourses (Will become "Template:MK Battle Courses")
Template:Galaxy (Will become "Template:SMG Galaxies")
Template:Galaxy2 (Will become "Template:SMG2 Galaxies")
Template:Game & Wario (Will become "Template:G&Wario")
Template:Game & Watch (Will become "Template:G&Watch")
Template:Mario Hoops 3-on-3 (Will become "Template:MH3on3"? Maybe?)
Template:Subspacearmy (Will become "Template:SSBB Subspace Army")
Template:Super Mario RPG (Will become "Template:SMBRPG")
Template:Barrel Blast (Merged with "Template:DKBB")
Template:Fortune Street (became "Template:FS")
Template:Gadd (Merged with Template:MPA)
Template:Hotel Mario (Became "Template:HM")
Template:JBK (Merged with Template:DKJB)
Template:KoS (Became "Template:DKKoS")
Template:Mario Golf Courses (Merged with game-based templates)
Template:Mario Party 1 (Became "Template:MP1 Minigames")
Template:Mario Party 2 (Became "Template:MP2 Minigames")
Template:Mario Party 3 (Became "Template:MP3 Minigames")
Template:Mario Party 4 (Became "Template:MP4 Minigames")
Template:Mario Party 5 (Became "Template:MP5 Minigames")
Template:Mario Party 6 (Became "Template:MP6 Minigames")
Template:Mario Party 7 (Became "Template:MP7 Minigames")
Template:Mario Party 8 (Became "Template:MP8 Minigames")
Template:Mario Party 9 (Became "Template:MP9 Minigames")
Template:Mario Party Advance (Became "Template:MPA Minigames")
Template:Mario Party DS Minigames (Became "Template:MPDS Minigames")
Template:Mario Pinball Land (Became "Template:MPL")
Template:Mario Super Sluggers (Became "Template:MSS")
Template:Mario Superstar Baseball (Became "Template:MSB")
Template:MFb (Been split into "Template:MSC" and "Template:Super Mario Strikers")
Template:NSMB Wii (Became "Template:NSMBW")
Template:PM2 (Became "Template:PMTTYD")
Template:SMSS (Became "Template:Super Mario Sunshine")
Template:Special Shots (Merged with "Template:Mario Hoops 3-on-3")
Template:Super Mario Bros. (Became "Template:SMB")
Template:Super Mario Bros. 3 (Became "Template:SMB3")
Template:Superpapermarioitem (Became "Template:SPM Items")
Template:WarioWare, Inc.: Mega Microgame$! (Became "Template:WWIMM")
Template:WarioWare, Inc.: Mega Microgame$! Microgames (Became "Template:WWIMM Microgames")
Template:WarioWare: D.I.Y. (Became "Template:WWDIY")
Template:WarioWare: D.I.Y. Microgames (Became "Template:WWDIY Microgames")
Template:WarioWare: D.I.Y. Showcase Microgames (Becamee "Template:WWDIYS Microgames")
Template:WarioWare: Smooth Moves (Became "Template:WWSM")
Template:WarioWare: Smooth Moves Microgames (Became "Template:WWSM Microgames")
Template:Yoshi's Island DS (Became "Template:YIDS")

EDIT: Last update made (by Time Turner) on August 17, 2013, 4:10 GMT

Some of them, okay renames make sense, but others can be left alone: there are better things to do than sweat certain details.

Template:Fortune Street - obscure game, so leaving the full name is easier to understand than "FS"
Template:Galaxy, Template:Galaxy2 - it's already clear what these are all about and shorter, simpler names are better; plus, as I said in the proposal, they're pretty unique in design already
Template:Game & Wario, Template:Game & Watch - like I said in the proposal, if there's conflict about the short-form, leave 'em both full instead of some weird in-between
Template:Hotel Mario - same deal as Fortune Street: "HM" isn't as immediately clear as the full name
Template:Mario Golf Courses - just scrap this one
Template:KoS - not ideal, but still usable in it current form, and either way, it's better to have the "o" lowercase like the actual title
Template:Mario Hoops 3-on-3 - since there's so many ways to shorten it, it'd be easier to leave it full
Template:Mario Pinball Land - same deal as FS (like HM, it's another standalone game, so no series name to help place it)
Template:Special Shots - scrap it
Template:Subspacearmy - this is a species-type template, so no need to change it (the fact that it's limited to one game doesn't matter)
Template:Super Mario RPG - you're already chopping out "TLotSS" part, so it's going to be irrgular nomatter what, so why not leave it (plus, "SMBRPG"? Methinks that's a typo)
Template:Super Mario World TV - another weird case, so perhaps it's best to leave it as is to make sure everyone knows exactly what it's talking about

Working on Mario Party minigames.

Megadardery, perhaps it's best if the Mario Hoops 3-on-3 template name was left as-is. Walkazo's point about it seems logical: should we move it back before anyone goes and changes all the links?

Sorry, Let's undo that. You move the template back, and I will undo my edits, clear?

P.S: I was just wondering, some templates will take a lot of time, would it be best if we used Bots/Extensions? I'm not sure, I'm just asking.

Cool, done. Thanks.

I just thought it would be best to discuss it first, rather than having to potentially revert the changes later on.

Perhaps it's best if this collab. was done manually: dealing with nav templates on articles is a good chance to correct the category prioritising/order since they are only a few lines down. Kinda like working on two collabs at once, if anyone wished to.

Did the Mario kart Battle courses.

And TT, you have a broken link in your post.

Too bad. I was gonna add that to the "don't change" list, seeing as it's a series-wide template, which makes abbreviations a bit more awkward.

Walkazo said:
Too bad. I was gonna add that to the "don't change" list, seeing as it's a series-wide template, which makes abbreviations a bit more awkward.
So should I revert all the edits?

I don't want to force you to do that on top of making the changes in the first place - it's my fault for mulling it over instead of throwing it into my first post. I can revert the changes for you.

Also, in the same school of thought Template:Racecourses shouldn't be changed (seeing this one also not have a series prefix was the deciding factor for me, in addition to the "one word is simpler and shorter" aspect).

And on a cheerier note, here's a master list of all/most templates that usually pop up on character pages. I just checked it against a couple pages and afaik, it's up-to-date. You can plug it into Excel and use it to fix template orders on article by copying and pasting their templates and matching them up against the list (then use F5 -> special -> blanks to select the blanks between the reordered templates and delete them before posting the templates back onto the article). That's how I fix orders, at any rate (for the long lists; the shorter ones can use regular game lists). (Also, SSB is listed three times, once for each SSB game, since characters debut in different games.)

{{DK}}
{{DKJR}}
{{MB}}
{{DK3}}
{{WC}}
{{Super Mario Bros.}}
{{SMB2}}
{{Super Mario Bros. 3}}
{{SML}}
{{The Super Mario Bros. Super Show! Animated}}
{{The Super Mario Bros. Super Show! Live}}
{{SMW}}
{{The Adventures of Super Mario Bros. 3}}
{{Super Mario World TV}}
{{SMK}}
{{SML2}}
{{Yoshi's Safari}}
{{WL}}
{{WWS}}
{{DKC}}
{{Hotel Mario}}
{{DKL}}
{{MT}}
{{Yoshi's Island}}
{{DKC2}}
{{Super Mario RPG}}
{{SM64}}
{{DKL2}}
{{DKCTV}}
{{DKC3}}
{{MK64}}
{{DKL3}}
{{DKR}}
{{Yoshi's Story}}
{{WL2}}
{{MP}}
{{SSB}}
{{MG64}}
{{MGGBC}}
{{DK64}}
{{MP2}}
{{WL3}}
{{MT64}}
{{PM}}
{{MTGBC}}
{{MP3}}
{{MG}}
{{MKSC}}
{{WL4}}
{{LM}}
{{SSB}}
{{SMSS}}
{{MP4}}
{{WarioWare, Inc.: Mega Microgame$!}}
{{WW}}
{{MGTT}}
{{MKDD}}
{{MP5}}
{{ML:SS}}
{{MGAT}}
{{MVDK}}
{{PM2}}
{{Mario Pinball Land}}
{{MPT}}
{{MP6}}
{{SM64}}
{{WarioWare: Touched!}}
{{DKJB}}
{{MPA}}
{{KoS}}
{{Mario Superstar Baseball}}
{{MTPT}}
{{MK}}
{{SPP}}
{{MP7}}
{{MKDS}}
{{MFb}}
{{PiT}}
{{NSMB}}
{{Mario Hoops 3-on-3}}
{{MOTM}}
{{Yoshi's Island DS}}
{{WarioWare: Smooth Moves}}
{{WMOD}}
{{MKAGP2}}
{{SPM}}
{{MP8}}
{{Barrel Blast}}
{{DKJC}}
{{SMG}}
{{MASATOG}}
{{MPDS}}
{{SSB}}
{{MKW}}
{{Mario Super Sluggers}}
{{WLSI}}
{{ML:BIS}}
{{MASATOWG}}
{{NSMB Wii}}
{{SMG2}}
{{DKCR}}
{{MSM}}
{{SM3DL}}
{{M&SATLOG}}
{{MK7}}
{{Fortune Street}}
{{MP9}}
{{MTO}}
{{NSMB2}}
{{PMSS}}
{{NSMBU}}
{{LMDM}}
{{ML:DT}}
{{SM3DW}}
{{YNI}}

Squawks the Parrot said:
Perhaps it's best if this collab. was done manually: dealing with nav templates on articles is a good chance to correct the category prioritising/order since they are only a few lines down. Kinda like working on two collabs at once, if anyone wished to.
Tackling two birds with one stone; and not just using a bot. Sounds like a plan. I'll work on Template:Gadd (which must be changed to Template:Gaddgets), and we'll go from there...after I take a quick rest.

@Walkazo
  • Awwww...at least I didn't go too far; I've done 11 out of 61 entries (which includes the Gaddget entry).
  • The troublesome thing is that I put more effort in those edits by including cleaning up parts of the article; it's not a simple edit revert like the Template:Racecourses situation.
  • Are there any other templates that need merging like the template you suggested?
  • I'm just working on the Gaddget articles, but clearing this up will streamline work so things like these won't get interrupted.
  • I'll work on others at a later time after this.

Sorry about that. I'm just glad I noticed quickly this time: I'd feel terrible if I came in at the end of the editing spree like Driftmaster's project earlier today... Anyway, rather than reverting, why not just put the items into {{MPA}} right now (EDIT: Which I now see you've already done, lol) and then replace both the {{Gadd}} and {{Gaddgets}} links with {{MPA}}. It'll be a simple template swap for the 11 you already did maintenance on, and then you can continue working on the pages at the same time as swapping {{Gadd}} for the proper template like you were before.

LOTS of templates need merging. It's a gradual process...

@Walkazo
  • Indeed. Lots of templates, potentially!
  • I would've prefer if we tackle on templates that need merging now rather than later, who knows if someone will pull a Gaddget all over again.
  • I can work all of this if no one does it for at least a month; hopefully it won't be deserted if such a scenario occurs.

Thought I might give a heads-up before going on another editing spree; I'm going to be replacing links from Template:Super Mario Bros. 3.

Sounds good (I'm almost done the original SMB link replacing meself).

Time Turner said:
My proposal has had a bunch of repercussions that I never thought of.
That's the danger of open-ended proposals - now you see why I didn't support even though I agree that a lot of names could do for regulation. Of course, a lot of the changes had to (or should) be made eventually anyway (replacing crappy names, merging various templates, fixing orders, etc.), so as long as we give ourselves wiggle room, it should work out for the better.

lOMZ1zm.png

I've never seen an editing pattern like this...

Drift said:
Thought I might give a heads-up before going on another editing spree; I'm going to be replacing links from Template:Super Mario Bros. 3.
^Done, all that's left is for an admin to delete the redirect

Back