Un-linking images on important pages

Status
Not open for further replies.

Driftmaster130

Rest in Peace, Walkazo
(I've brought this up a couple times at least in the "Requesting edits for locked pages" thread in this board.)

If an important template has an image in it, it must be un-linked, meaning that it should not lead to the file page when clicked on. This is how you un-link images:

[[File:Title.format|Sizepx|link=]]

Simply type |link= at the end.

This thread is meant to bring attention to and discuss anything that should/shouldn't be unlinked.

Megadardery said:
I assume it's purpose is to keep formality in administrative templates, and to avoid providing misleading and unnecessary links to a file page.

I don't know if we should unlink all images to important pages because some pages are so thoroughly hidden that the best way of finding all of them is via an image.

I remember suggesting that we place all archives of Featured Article nominations in a category so we can easily access them. The problem is that many of the archive pages are buried. So, what I did was look at a template. This template had a bronze star image. I clicked on the bronze star image, and behold, all the forgotten featured/unfeatured article nomination archives were found.

Maybe I'm thinking of the wrong thing, but I don't know if it's a good idea to unlink all important images.

YoshiKong said:
I assume it's purpose is to keep formality in administrative templates, and to avoid providing misleading and unnecessary links to a file page.
For templates? it is good, for other pages, I don't think so, there is a button that leads to the last page previewed.

Mario Party X said:
I don't know if we should unlink all images to important pages because some pages are so thoroughly hidden that the best way of finding all of them is via an image.

I remember suggesting that we place all archives of Featured Article nominations in a category so we can easily access them. The problem is that many of the archive pages are buried. So, what I did was look at a template. This template had a bronze star image. I clicked on the bronze star image, and behold, all the forgotten featured/unfeatured article nomination archives were found.

Maybe I'm thinking of the wrong thing, but I don't know if it's a good idea to unlink all important images.
The file pages won't be permanently hidden: they can still be reached. Those who are the most eager to view the file page will be able to by viewing the source of the template, and copying the file name used there into the search bar.

Megadardery said:
For templates? it is good, for other pages, I don't think so[...]
This collab., from what I understand, is only focusing on the official templates.

^Actually Megadardery is right; I don't see how this can really be used as requests for un-linking when there's already a thread to request edits for locked pages. Moderators please lock and move.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back