Author Topic: Pokémon (Gen 5) Tournament (FINISHED)  (Read 21961 times)

Alexander Hamilton

• Secretary of Treasury Packy
  • Core 'Shroom Staff
  • Power Star
  • Red Barchetta
  • Talk less, smile more.
    • View Profile
Re: Pokémon (Gen 5) Tournament
« Reply #40 on: July 03, 2013, 11:54:20 AM »
what are the estimated times these tournaments will start in American EDT

For the 30th, 31st, 1st, and 2nd (so all three days for the single battles tournament and one day for the double battles tournament), Smasher and I currently have a tentative time of 7PM EST/EDT. We've still yet to decide on what to do for the final day (the 3rd) due to what we will have to fit in. Note it's tentative so it is subject to change, and if need be we will accommodate to fit the needs of the participants in a battle.

Details of how some things are going to work will be out soon (hopefully later today or tomorrow, we were discussing things earlier and then Smasher pinged out :'()

Rin Kaenbyou

• .Also Kayday is best Girl.
  • Star Spirit
  • EctoBiologist
  • Best cat themed touhou. I love touhou and DR.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 03, 2013, 05:06:35 PM »
I've been training my pokemon using a macho brace.
Macho Brace?

You don't know what you're doing, do you?

The Macho Brace does double EV gains, but that's pointless because the Power items give you +4 of whatever EV the Power Item gives, which is always more than the gain from the Macho Brace. For example, let's take Druddigon (who iirc gives +3 Atk EVs).

With Macho Brace - +3 HP EVs (Druddigon defeated) * 2 (Macho Brace) = +6 Atk EVs
With Power Bracer - +3 HP EVs (Druddigon defeated) +4 HP EVs (Power Bracer) = +7 Atk EVs

If you've got the money, Proteins and the like will also speed up EV training a bunch.
Um.

that difference looks really minor.

NABO

• @dwaiquotes
  • Banned
  • Shine Sprite
  • NotABannableOffense
  • My heart belongs to another.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 03, 2013, 05:59:45 PM »
I've been training my pokemon using a macho brace.
Macho Brace?

You don't know what you're doing, do you?

The Macho Brace does double EV gains, but that's pointless because the Power items give you +4 of whatever EV the Power Item gives, which is always more than the gain from the Macho Brace. For example, let's take Druddigon (who iirc gives +3 Atk EVs).

With Macho Brace - +3 HP EVs (Druddigon defeated) * 2 (Macho Brace) = +6 Atk EVs
With Power Bracer - +3 HP EVs (Druddigon defeated) +4 HP EVs (Power Bracer) = +7 Atk EVs

If you've got the money, Proteins and the like will also speed up EV training a bunch.
Um.

Also, the power items are like 16 BP each.

You only need one macho brace.

Javelin

• Level 5 Ranger
  • Donkey Kong
  • Dr. Javelin
  • Nathan Latsk
    • View Profile
    • Userpedia Page
« Reply #43 on: July 03, 2013, 07:18:39 PM »
Um.

Well, for +3 EVs, sure.

But if you're only getting one EV from a Pokemon, then Macho Brace will give you two while Power ____ will give you five.
Also, the power items are like 16 BP each.

You only need one macho brace.
is 16 bp supposed to be a lot

because i've been grinding for the choice items, which are 48 bp each

besides, getting bp isn't that difficult. kinda time-consuming, but not very difficult.

The Power items help a lot with EV gaining in my experience. This way to max out Atk EVs, instead of having to kill 252 Patrat and Lilipup, I only have to kill 50 with Power Bracer and two without.

With Macho Brace it would be 126 Patrat and Lillipup to reach max Atk EVs. Which means I can get the job done in 41.2% (52/126) of the time it would take with a Macho Brace.

Rin Kaenbyou

• .Also Kayday is best Girl.
  • Star Spirit
  • EctoBiologist
  • Best cat themed touhou. I love touhou and DR.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 06, 2013, 11:43:34 PM »
only a few more weeks for the special eeveelution team to make it's debut!

also javelin thank you for saying the power items.

that'll speed up the process. once again thanks.

Javelin

• Level 5 Ranger
  • Donkey Kong
  • Dr. Javelin
  • Nathan Latsk
    • View Profile
    • Userpedia Page
« Reply #45 on: July 06, 2013, 11:49:41 PM »
this has been javelin, your local pokemon know-it-all

Alexander Hamilton

• Core 'Shroom Staff
  • Power Star
  • Red Barchetta
  • Talk less, smile more.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 18, 2013, 09:32:53 AM »
Mariotime11 (Drift) has told me in PM that he cannot participate. Just a head's up.

ALSO, NOTICE: Me and Smasher have decided that participants cannot change their teams in between battles. Sounds rather iffy for a Pokemon tournament to allow participants to change their team in between battles. I'll be adding this to the OP.

Also, thank you to the participants who have replied to my PM already! There are a few left who still need to get back to me, but I greatly appreciate the people who have replied already. So thank you guys again!

BMB

• Celestial Guide
  • Baby Mario Bloops
  • BMB
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 19, 2013, 05:17:19 AM »
Sorry, but I'm going to need to drop out.

My Pokemon White game hasn't been working and it keeps on freezing for some reason. I don't think I can figure out what's the problem is in time.

Alexander Hamilton

• Core 'Shroom Staff
  • Power Star
  • Red Barchetta
  • Talk less, smile more.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 19, 2013, 09:00:33 AM »
Dammit. That's alright; hope you get your game fixed! Thanks for your interest and for signing up.  :)

NABO

• @dwaiquotes
  • Banned
  • Shine Sprite
  • NotABannableOffense
  • My heart belongs to another.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 19, 2013, 10:38:59 AM »
Actually, hold up.

I have a team that can work in doubles.

If it isn't too late, I'll do both tournaments.

Alexander Hamilton

• Core 'Shroom Staff
  • Power Star
  • Red Barchetta
  • Talk less, smile more.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 19, 2013, 10:02:00 PM »
Nope, that is perfectly fine! I will switch you over to both tournaments. Thanks NABO!  :)

Alexander Hamilton

• Core 'Shroom Staff
  • Power Star
  • Red Barchetta
  • Talk less, smile more.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 23, 2013, 11:11:29 AM »
Cirdec asked this question in PM and I'd like for you all to know in case you have the same question:

I have a question. Do we have to get 6 Pokémons for the tournament, and each match we choose 3 of them, or we just need 3 Pokémons?

You will only need 3 Pokemon in total for the main tournament (single battles); you will need 4 Pokemon in total for the side tournament (double battles). The Pokemon you choose for the main tournament can be different from the Pokemon you choose for the side tournament.

Broly

• Handicap? Is that another word for "coffin"?
  • Shine Sprite
  • aregularforumuser
  • Broly: Screaming
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 23, 2013, 01:31:18 PM »
Nope, that is perfectly fine! I will switch you over to both tournaments. Thanks NABO!  :)
how does the wifi club work? cuz nabo and i tried it before and we had no idea what to do.

Alexander Hamilton

• Core 'Shroom Staff
  • Power Star
  • Red Barchetta
  • Talk less, smile more.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 23, 2013, 02:01:24 PM »
how does the wifi club work? cuz nabo and i tried it before and we had no idea what to do.

After you enter the Wi-Fi Club (like I said, should be the middle door in the Pokemon Center, at least for Black 2 and White 2, if anyone does not know; it might be different in Black and White but I highly doubt it) and connect to the Wi-Fi Connection, there should be a computer sort of mechanism in the top of the room. One participant will go to that, hit A in front of it to start using it, and go down to "Battle". When you hit that, the options to change the rules and stuff will come up (which whichever person is starting the battle will HAVE to do that so the Battle Format and Battle Rules can be set). That's how you work the Battle part of the Wi-Fi Club; if you're asking about the other options, they will work the same way (just go up to the computer, hit A to start it up, and select whichever one you want).

Just note that one of you and only one of you has to set up whatever you are doing. When that person is done setting up whatever you're doing, then the other person just has to walk up to that person in the Wi-Fi Club and accept their invitation.

If none of that made sense (which it probably didn't make sense because I kind of lost what I was saying like at the beginning lol) then just tell me. :P I plan to make instructions for it sooner or later, I promise I will get those up soon.  :)

Anton

• Froppy
  • #mwchat Admin
  • Star Spirit
  • Hypnotoad
  • kero?
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 27, 2013, 11:00:53 PM »
Here's this to help with time management and planning (all times are Eastern US):

22:56   Anton{Politoed}   ok so my hours are:
22:56   Anton{Politoed}   Sunday 11am-7:30
22:56   Anton{Politoed}   Monday off
22:56   Anton{Politoed}   Tuesday 10am-2pm
22:56   Anton{Politoed}   Wednesday 10am-2pm
22:56   Anton{Politoed}   Thursday 2pm-10:30pm closing
22:56   Anton{Politoed}   Friday 11am-7:30pm
22:56   Anton{Politoed}   Saturday 4pm-12:30am closing
22:57   Anton{Politoed}   so yeah, Tuesday is the 30th
22:57   Anton{Politoed}   I shooooould be able to do stuff

Broly

• Handicap? Is that another word for "coffin"?
  • Shine Sprite
  • aregularforumuser
  • Broly: Screaming
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 28, 2013, 03:50:21 AM »

After you enter the Wi-Fi Club (like I said, should be the middle door in the Pokemon Center, at least for Black 2 and White 2, if anyone does not know; it might be different in Black and White but I highly doubt it) and connect to the Wi-Fi Connection, there should be a computer sort of mechanism in the top of the room. One participant will go to that, hit A in front of it to start using it, and go down to "Battle". When you hit that, the options to change the rules and stuff will come up (which whichever person is starting the battle will HAVE to do that so the Battle Format and Battle Rules can be set). That's how you work the Battle part of the Wi-Fi Club; if you're asking about the other options, they will work the same way (just go up to the computer, hit A to start it up, and select whichever one you want).

Just note that one of you and only one of you has to set up whatever you are doing. When that person is done setting up whatever you're doing, then the other person just has to walk up to that person in the Wi-Fi Club and accept their invitation.

If none of that made sense (which it probably didn't make sense because I kind of lost what I was saying like at the beginning lol) then just tell me. :P I plan to make instructions for it sooner or later, I promise I will get those up soon.  :)
by the way, what are the estimated european times? sorry to bother you, but i really need to know.

Alexander Hamilton

• Core 'Shroom Staff
  • Power Star
  • Red Barchetta
  • Talk less, smile more.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 28, 2013, 08:22:47 PM »
To Anton and ARFU, hopefully the PM I sent out (and/or what I mention in this post) will take care of your time concerns! :)

MAJOR UPDATE

Hello everyones!

By this point I have sent out PMs to all the participants, but this is here for every single one of you (for participants and people who might still want to sign up).

Copying this bit from the PM that I sent you all:

First off, due to the TF2 tournament switching dates to the 28th-30th, we are pushing back the beginning of the Pokemon tournament a day. This means that instead of the tournament beginning on July 30th, it will begin on July 31st instead.

Second off, because of the beginning date being pushed back a day, this means that all dates will change. However, we are also adding a sixth day of the tournament for the side tournament (because the main tournament and the side tournament have the same amount of participants and will follow the same format). This means that the Pokemon tournament will be held from July 31st to August 5th.

Also, matches will be set up differently. Instead of being randomized and having a time of 7PM EST as the beginning of the tournament, we are scrapping the tentative time of 7PM and instead going to be working with the participants for the best possible times to play two or three battles a day. If you sign up, then please inform us of the best times for you to play two or three battles (along with your FC and if you are signing up for either the main tournament or side tournament).

SPEAKING OF SIGN-UPS, THIS IS OFFICIAL: SIGN-UPS WILL BE CLOSING TOMORROW MORNING (JULY 29TH) TO MAKE TIME FOR GETTING THE BRACKETS READY AND GIVING US TIME TO DISCUSS POSSIBLE TIMES WITH PARTICIPANTS. IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN SIGNING UP, PLEASE DO SO NOW!!

I believe that is it! If any of you have questions, please do not hesitate to ask!

Alexander Hamilton

• Core 'Shroom Staff
  • Power Star
  • Red Barchetta
  • Talk less, smile more.
    • View Profile
Re: Pokémon (Gen 5) Tournament (DATES CHANGED) - (SIGN UPS CLOSED)
« Reply #57 on: July 29, 2013, 06:53:12 PM »
SIGN-UPS ARE NOW CLOSED!

I HAVE ONLY GOTTEN THREE PMS BACK REGARDING TIMES. I NEED YOU GUYS TO LET US KNOW YOUR BEST TIMES OVER THE NEXT FEW DAYS, PLEASE! IT IS VERY IMPORTANT SO WE CAN SET UP TIMES FOR THE MATCHES.

Time Turner

• The Fallen Child
  • Celestial Guide
  • You are filled with determination. (R/GD/TT)
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 29, 2013, 11:01:13 PM »
Just about anything works for me. Put me wherever works with you.

Alexander Hamilton

• Core 'Shroom Staff
  • Power Star
  • Red Barchetta
  • Talk less, smile more.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 30, 2013, 03:02:11 PM »
Thank you to the people who have responded to me! I am still awaiting for 3 people to reply, so please get around to that if you have not.

Also, I would like to notify everyone that the freshest of all freshness in the land of fresh has joined as our 10th and final participant. Sign-ups are now, for sure, closed. Thank you to the people who signed up and for your interest in this (even if you had to drop out); we greatly appreciate it so very, very much!