Collab: Intro standards for subpages

Status
Not open for further replies.

Banon

Koopa Troopa
My proposal passed: MarioWiki:Proposals/Archive_34#Intro_standards_for_subpages

So now we should edit subpages to have consistency in the intros:

Template:Glitches
This is a list of glitches pertaining to the game ''[[insert name]]''.
Sometimes followed by: For a list of glitches pertaining to the remake/port/whatever, ''[[insert name]], see ''[[insert name|here]].

Template:BetaElements
This is a list of beta elements pertaining to the game ''[[insert name]]''.
Sometimes followed by: For a list of beta elements pertaining to the remake/port/whatever, ''[[insert name]], see ''[[insert name|here]].

Template:Staff Teams
This is a list of the staff involved with the game ''[[insert name]]''.
Sometimes followed by: For a list of the staff involved with the remake/port/whatever, ''[[insert name]], see ''[[insert name|here]].

Template:Quotes
This is a list of quotes pertaining to the game ''[[insert name]]''.
Sometimes followed by: For a list of quotes pertaining to the remake/port/whatever, ''[[insert name]], see ''[[insert name|here]].
OR
This is a list of quotes pertaining to the ''[[insert name]]'' series.
OR
This is a list of quotes pertaining to the ''television series/television cartoon/animated series''.

Template:NavMedia
This is a list of audio files pertaining to the game ''[[insert name]]''.
Sometimes followed by: For a list of audio files pertaining to the remake/port/whatever, ''[[insert name]], see ''[[insert name|here]].
OR
nothing (for Sound Room)

Category:Galleries
This is a gallery of images pertaining to the game/ennemy/character(s)/species/application/system/nothing/whatever fits ''[[insert name]]''.
Sometimes followed by: For a gallery of images pertaining to the remake/port/whatever, ''[[insert name]], see ''[[insert name|here]].

Do you agree with those standards?

Maybe it's just me, but I'd prefer to replace "pertaining to" with "from". And then with the gallery, have it be replaced by "featuring" for characters/enemies/species. But otherwise, good.

Why not, maybe it's more simple. But I'd like to keep it for the galleries since it would also fit for Rosalina's Storybook, systems, and games.

I agree with YoshiKong: "pertaining to" is appropriate for things like game-related images because not all of them will be from the game: there will also be boxart, promotional art, and the like. It can also good for the remake sentences, because it emphasizes that those images/whatever are only from the remake/etc. and not the original, and it adds variety (in all cases, try to avoid saying the exact same thing both times: repetition is bad, although you can get away it for simple things like "from", just not big showy words). But using it all the time seems a bit artificial.

I have more to say, but I'm posting from work and I keep getting interrupted by customers, so I'll post what I have now at the risk of getting post-conflicted again.

EDIT: Okay, here's more what I was envisioning:

This is a list of glitches occurring in the game ''[[insert name]]''. For a list of glitches only found in the remake/port/whatever, ''[[insert name]]'', see [[insert name|here]].

This is a list of beta elements of the game ''[[insert name]]''. For a list of beta elements pertaining to the remake/port/whatever, ''[[insert name]]'', see [[insert name|here]].

This is a list of the staff involved with the game/film/whatever ''[[insert name]]''. For a list of the staff who worked on the remake/port/whatever, ''[[insert name]]'', see [[insert name|here]].

This is a list of quotes from the game/film/whatever ''[[insert name]]''. For a list of quotes pertaining to the remake/port/whatever, ''[[insert name]]'', see [[insert name|here]].
OR
This is a list of quotes from the ''[[insert name]]'' (cartoon/comic/television) series.

This is a list of audio/media files from the game ''[[insert name]]''. For a list of files from the remake/port/whatever, ''[[insert name]]'', see [[insert name|here]].

This is a gallery of images pertaining to the game/show/movie/whatever ''[[insert name]]''. For a gallery of images originating from the remake/port/whatever, ''[[insert name]]'', see [[insert name|here]].
OR
This is a gallery of images featuring [[insert character]]/[[species]]s.
OR
This is a gallery of images featuring the [[item]]/[[X Mario|X form]]/[[gaming system]].

Plus special cases (for galleries or otherwise).

EDIT 2: Also, for the actual remake/port/whatever pages, it'd go the other way (mostly replace "port/etc." with "original", but there's also some tweaks to a couple lines to make it sound more natural):

This is a list of glitches occurring in the game ''[[insert name]]''. For a list of glitches pertaining to the original ''[[insert name]]'', see [[insert name|here]].

This is a list of beta elements of the game ''[[insert name]]''. For a list of beta elements pertaining to the original ''[[insert name]]'', see [[insert name|here]].

This is a list of the staff involved with the game ''[[insert name]]''. For a list of the staff who worked on the original ''[[insert name]]'', see [[insert name|here]].

This is a list of quotes from the game ''[[insert name]]''. For a list of quotes taken from the original ''[[insert name]]'', see [[insert name|here]].

This is a list of audio/media files from the game ''[[insert name]]''. For a list of files from the original ''[[insert name]]'', see [[insert name|here]].

This is a gallery of images pertaining to the game ''[[insert name]]''. For a gallery of images related to the original ''[[insert name]]'', see [[insert name|here]].

I might as well post it here:

On the proposals page, Walkazo said we should add "For images of the Luigi character from the SMB movie, see [here], for images of Baby Luigi, see [here]." to the Luigi gallery (for example).

I agree.

Shouldn't we also have systems in gallery intros?

Such as:

This is a gallery of images pertaining to the [[console]] title, [[game]]

Ok good, every one just some questions:

• When will it be done?
  • Will it be a template or just plain text?, I think template is better, so it could be changed easier and per MarioWiki:Once and Only Once.
  • If it is a template, would it be one template, or a spreate template for each type of subpages?
  • As for Media, I think "audio files" should be replaced with "media files" as it could contain videos too. Who with me?
  • As for staff, I think staff could be in television shows too, so it should be something like that:
    This is a list of the staff involved with the game/film/whatever ''[[insert name]]''.
    Who with me?

No. Like I said in the proposal, a template's no good (multiple templates would be just as bad). There's way too much variation based on the media and subject type and whether or not there's remakes or if the page is for a remake; even multiple templates wouldn't cover it all. Just copy and paste the text and manually change the stuff. No need to make it complicated - if anything, that'll make it harder to implement since folks will get too intimidated. Besides, it has nothing to do with "Once and Only Once":

As it applies to a wiki, it means that you shouldn't duplicate any information or keep multiple copies of documents organized in different ways.

[...]

This means that an individual object or being should have only one page pertaining to it. Users should check for a page's existence before creating a new one.
^That's all it's talking about.

Non-game media can definitely have staff pages too, so modifying that one makes sense. I'll go update my old post to include that change.

Maybe switch media too, if it'll fit better.

To answer your first question, we could begin anytime. I'm just waiting for everything to be 100% okay.

We're going with the sentences in my post, right? Not the ones in the first post, right?

OK, I just added the intro standard for all the glitch pages, will probably do beta elements pages tomorrow. Can someone else please do some of the rest of the categories (I won't be coming on for the next week)

Gee, I'm quite pressed for time myself at the moment, but I'll be sure to take off some of the load for everyone as soon as I get the chance.

I did it for about half of the staff lists; I'll probably have internet access later today or tomorrow so I could get around to finishing them today if no one else does.

I was thinking of this over the weekend, actually, and I think it might fit in MarioWiki:Subpages Policy.

So it'd be organized:

==Naming Convention==
===Special Cases===
==Introductions==
The five different kinds of ex-subpages, in addition to [[MarioWiki:Galleries|Gallery pages]], all have a specific format that should be used for their introduction. Different types of pages have slightly different wording, which allows for some variation while also maintaining consistency across all the ex-subpages and galleries. In addition, certain parts of the introductions change to match the subject matter; for example, a page about the quotes from a game would read "''This is a list of quotes from the game...''" while a quotes page for a film would read "''This is a list of quotes from the film...''".

Allowances are also made for when a game has been remade or ported, as the reissue game's ex-subpage should be linked to on the ex-subpage of the original game (or the section of the other game's article, if not enough content exists for a separate page) and vice-versa. For example, on the [[List of Super Mario Bros. 3 beta elements|''Super Mario Bros. 3'' beta elements page]], the introduction reads:

<blockquote><nowiki>This is a list of beta elements of the game ''[[Super Mario Bros. 3]]''. For a list of beta elements pertaining to the remake, ''[[Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros. 3]]'', see [[List of Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros. 3 beta elements|here]].</nowiki></blockquote>

And on the [[List of Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros. 3 beta elements|''Super Mario Advance 4'' beta elements page]], the introduction reads:

<blockquote><nowiki>This is a list of beta elements of the game ''[[Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros. 3]]''. For a list of beta elements pertaining to the original ''[[Super Mario Bros. 3]]'', see [[List of Super Mario Bros. 3 beta elements|here]].</nowiki></blockquote>

If it is not clear from the name that a game is a reissue of another game, such as ''[[Super Mario Advance]]'', rather than simply saying "game", the intro can specify that is it a remake or port:

<blockquote><nowiki>This is a gallery of images pertaining to the remake game ''[[Super Mario Advance]]''. For a gallery of images related to the original ''[[Super Mario Bros. 2]]'', see [[Gallery:Super Mario Bros. 2|here]].</nowiki></blockquote>

Similarly, galleries and any ex-subpages that pertain to special subjects or otherwise have unique circumstances (i.e. [[Gallery:Rosalina's Storybook]] or [[List of glitches in Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels]]) can have extra information or completely unique introductions to suit the specific situation, however these exceptions are few and far between. In almost all cases, the galleries and subpages can be given an introduction following the outline below. Please note that the remake/port lines are included by default, but if a game does not have a reissue, obviously these lines will be omitted; other common situation-specific options are included in brackets (i.e. use "the" when talking about an item, but not a character).

;Glitches
:General:
::<code><nowiki>This is a list of glitches occurring in the game ''[[insert name]]''. For a list of glitches only found in the port/remake, ''[[insert name]]'', see [[insert link|here]].</nowiki></code>
:Reissue games:
::<code><nowiki>This is a list of glitches that only occur in the game ''[[insert name]]''. For a list of glitches that are exclusive to the original ''[[insert name]]'' or occur in both versions of the game, see [[insert name|here]].</nowiki></code>
;Staff
::<code><nowiki>This is a list of the staff involved with the game/film/etc. ''[[insert name]]''. For a list of the staff who worked on the remake/port, ''[[insert name]]'', see [[insert link|here]].</nowiki></code>
::<code><nowiki>This is a list of the staff involved with the game ''[[insert name]]''. For a list of the staff who worked on the original ''[[insert name]]'', see [[insert link|here]].</nowiki></code>
;Beta elements
::<code><nowiki>This is a list of beta elements of the game ''[[insert name]]''. For a list of beta elements pertaining to the remake/port, ''[[insert name]]'', see [[insert link|here]].</nowiki></code>
::<code><nowiki>This is a list of beta elements of the game ''[[insert name]]''. For a list of beta elements pertaining to the original ''[[insert name]]'', see [[insert link|here]].</nowiki></code>
;Media
::<code><nowiki>This is a list of audio/media files from the game/film/etc. ''[[insert name]]''. For a list of files from the remake/port, ''[[insert name]]'', see [[insert link|here]].</nowiki></code>
::<code><nowiki>This is a list of audio/media files from the game ''[[insert name]]''. For a list of files from the original ''[[insert name]]'', see [[insert link|here]].</nowiki></code>
;Quotes
:Singular media:
::<code><nowiki>This is a list of quotes from the game/film/etc. ''[[insert name]]''. For a list of quotes pertaining to the remake/port, ''[[insert name]]'', see [[insert link|here]].</nowiki></code>
:Series and serialized media:
::<code><nowiki>This is a list of quotes from the ''[[insert name]]'' (cartoon/comic/television) series.</nowiki></code>
::<code><nowiki>This is a list of quotes from the game ''[[insert name]]''. For a list of quotes taken from the original ''[[insert name]]'', see [[insert link|here]].</nowiki></code>
;Galleries
:General media:
::<code><nowiki>This is a gallery of images pertaining to the game/show/film/etc. ''[[insert name]]''. For a gallery of images originating from the remake/port, ''[[insert name]]'', see [[insert link|here]].</nowiki></code>
::<code><nowiki>This is a gallery of images pertaining to the game ''[[insert name]]''. For a gallery of images related to the original ''[[insert name]]'', see [[insert link|here]].</nowiki></code>
:Subjects:
::<code><nowiki>This is a gallery of images featuring (the) [[character/item/species/gaming system]]/[[X Mario|X form]].</nowiki></code>

Thoughts?

^I agree.

Also, I was going through the glitch pages, and I think the remake sentence should actually be:

This is a list of glitches that only occur in the game ''[[insert name]]''. For a list of glitches also or exclusively found in the original ''[[insert name]]'', see [[insert name|here]].

It's a bit clearer about what goes on that page and what you'd need to go back to the original game's page for.

Looks good Walkazo, but I feel that there is a missing word in one of the sentences:

Different types of pages have slightly different wording, which allow for some variation while also maintaining consistency across all the ex-subpages and galleries.

Maybe using "reissue" instead of "remake", but except this it's great.

And for the rewording of the glitches articles' intros, maybe:
This is a list of glitches occuring in the game ''[[insert name]]''. For a list of glitches occuring in the original ''[[insert name]]'', see [[insert name|here]].

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back