6 (2.4%)
Cloud Strife
7 (2.8%)
Corrin
10 (4%)
Bayonetta
3 (1.2%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Author Topic: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U & 3DS Discussion  (Read 1102042 times)

ernesth100

• The Scholar
  • Dry Bowser
  • The Traveler, The Genius, The Scholar
    • View Profile
    • www.megalst.webs.com
Re: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U & 3DS Discussion
« Reply #12960 on: December 31, 2014, 09:59:02 PM »
Well ya can't do anything about it Smash Bros WiiU and 3DS are already out and aren't getting any DLC other than Mewtwo.

So I guess we just have to settle for this for now until the next Smash Game. IF there is a next Smash Game.
www.megalast.webs.com(what can I say king of the nerds) Love My Fan Fiction, Read It All!
C-C-C-Combo Breaker!!!

Ray Trace

• Yeah, hahaha, a little bit more hand sanitizer and we wouldn't be in this mess.
  • Mushroom Attendant
  • Baby Luigi
  • 🇷🇺 Малыш Луиджи 🇷🇺 сырная бл🧀🧀🧀 Тарелка!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12961 on: December 31, 2014, 10:06:12 PM »
So I guess we just have to settle for this for now until the next Smash Game. IF there is a next Smash Game.

why do people still believe in this bull*bleep*

anyway, sakurai is, well, as the redditor said, both right and wrong. i don't want my smash to be a bunch of complicated combos depending on how you sophisticatedly break your controller (a reason games like street fighter, marvel vs capcom or soul calibur never appealed to me) but neither do i want the competitive nature to be a complete joke like how brawl is (enough to make stuff like project m for crying out loud).

the reason we like melee is that it was a fine balance between being too technical and having fair stuff and not op or stupid stage hazards that would limit a stage's playability nor affect the competitive nature of things.

i don't play the game seriously, but i know and understand the game's mechanics to be at least decent at it...at least beat my friends on a consistent basis that is and several people who randomly challenge me to a game. and yet i still adore melee, smash 4 (especially its chaotic 8 player smashes) and i hate brawl's mechanics like lack of hitstun and air-dodge spam.
RIP B. "Walkazo" Dalziel. December 16, 1991 to March 27, 2016.

BMB

• Celestial Guide
  • Baby Mario Bloops
  • BMB
    • View Profile
« Reply #12962 on: December 31, 2014, 10:19:37 PM »
I actually agree with a lot of what the redditor stated, especially about how Sakurai probably wants people to focus on more than just the "for glory" stuff, and wanting people to be able to play whatever mode they want in Smash, and not make it more centered on for glory just so that people feel left out.

Princess Mario

• Mushroom Kingdom's Most 🦄Fabulous🦄 Wario Killer
  • Donkey Kong
  • LeftyGreenMario
  • R.I.P. Walkazo December 16, 1991 - March 27, 2016
    • View Profile
    • RationalWiki
« Reply #12963 on: December 31, 2014, 11:55:07 PM »
"Mmm. Personally, I feel that if you want to play a fighting game seriously, there are other competitive fighting games that are more suited to that, and people like that could have fun playing those. If you play Smash Brothers seriously as a competitive game, the game itself has no future."

If I wanted to, I'm sure I could make a more hardcore Smash Brothers game. I could make the game speed much faster, increase the number of inputs...but then, beginners would no longer be able to play the game. When the game becomes more like a sport, a tool that more strictly rewards the player with more skill, the game tapers off more, like a mountain. Just like how a mountain tapers off into its peak, that area becomes more and more narrow.
I busted my ass laughing here. Nobody wants more inputs in their Smash game ala Street Fighter and Soul Caliber. Melee could've fostered with and without wavedashing or DACUS (which isn't even in Melee) or waveshining or moonwalking. A lot of competitive players want competitively-healthy core mechanics, which are enough hitstun, landing lag, invincibility frames, etc. Besides, things like L-canceling, wavedashing, and SHFFL are not extremely complex inputs, but they require some finesse. These "complex" maneuvers are created with strings of simple inputs, so I'm baffled why Sakurai thinks that people want more inputs.

Melee has the casual appeal as well either way. I never play tourneys (besides those two tourneys I nearly won at high school and the one I won at Gamestop during the wait for Smash 4 3DS) but I love Melee way more than Barlw.

I love the competitive players because they open windows for ME to play my characters as well as I can. I don't mean that they reduce diversity, but they are framework for which moves work and which moves don't work, so if the competitive environment is a joke, I can't take games like Barlw seriously either. I enjoyed using Kirby in Melee more than I enjoy using Mario in Barlw, even though both are essentially bottom-tier, so it can't be personal bias coloring my perception on Barlw.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 11:57:01 PM by Dr. Mario's Drunken Holiday Elixir »

ernesth100

• The Scholar
  • Dry Bowser
    • View Profile
    • www.megalst.webs.com
« Reply #12964 on: January 01, 2015, 12:36:19 AM »
Okay guys we get it. Melee was the best smash game. Smash4 was a let down.

(Yet 80% of you bought it and play it daily.)
www.megalast.webs.com(what can I say king of the nerds) Love My Fan Fiction, Read It All!
C-C-C-Combo Breaker!!!

Princess Mario

• Donkey Kong
  • LeftyGreenMario
    • View Profile
    • RationalWiki
« Reply #12965 on: January 01, 2015, 12:41:09 AM »

I was looking forward to Smash 4, even with just modest expectations, but I think it delivered for the most part. It just can't stand up to Melee, you know? Barlw left a horrid taste in my mouth, and when Smash 4 was out, it still had that Barlw-y after taste. The biggest thing I have with Smash 4 was that it was Barlw with better physics rather than a new Super Smash Bros. games. This Smash Bros. had the fewest changes from its direct predecessor.

Marcia

• Star Spirit
  • Glitchy Bowser Jr.
  • "Stuff it, sponge brain!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #12966 on: January 01, 2015, 12:42:20 AM »
Smash 4 wasn't a letdown to me, in fact it's my favourite.

Magikrazy

• Donkey Kong
    • View Profile
« Reply #12967 on: January 01, 2015, 12:46:46 AM »
Is Barlw a mod or something?
🦀🦀MAGIK IS GONE🦀🦀

Nyrie

• Power Star
  • Nysic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12968 on: January 01, 2015, 12:48:03 AM »
Nah they just call it that to poke fun at it

I think

Princess Mario

• Donkey Kong
  • LeftyGreenMario
    • View Profile
    • RationalWiki
« Reply #12969 on: January 01, 2015, 12:49:12 AM »
My order of favorites is this, including mods because some mods have wildly different physics engines.

vBarlw <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< Smash Bros. 4 < Smash 64 < Barlw- < Project M (Barlw hack) < Melee

It's hard to choose between Project M and Melee because Project M has so much content packed in one little free mod (special mode includes All-Star, which lets you play as several characters standing in as stock, similar to the last match in Smash Tour; Stamina Mode has so much more options; it's open to music modding too).

I haven't played Barlw- in such a long time, although its files confuse me since I use riivolution and I'm not sure if stuff like common5.pac needs renaming or something.

Is Barlw a mod or something?
I don't know if you're joking or not, but Barlw is just my own mock word for "Brawl".

Nah they just call it that to poke fun at it

I think
You're right.

I even say "Barlw" in conversation.

I feel like making one up for "Melee", but I don't know which "typo" for Melee is widely used.

Northern Verve

• Princess of Magic
  • Star Spirit
  • SonicMario
    • View Profile
« Reply #12970 on: January 01, 2015, 12:50:39 AM »
I'm still one of those who say each installment of Smash is better in the last :V Call me someone who just goes with whatever is new all the time all you want. (Though that's certainly not true with every series I like) but I've always felt that.

Though part of what influenced my love for Brawl did have personal reasons. Like I would have never met the online friends I ended up meeting if I didn't begin going on online communities. Smashboards during the Pre Brawl days was my first forum I ever joined.

I like all the Smash games. More characters, content, and things to do makes it more enjoyable for me. I do appreciate the CONSTRUCTIVE criticism from those who preferred Melee though. As I defintely think they're why Smash 4 feels like a perfect balance between the two games. I feel Smash 4 takes the best of both worlds really.

Nyrie

• Power Star
  • Nysic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12971 on: January 01, 2015, 12:53:54 AM »
I feel like making one up for "Melee", but I don't know which "typo" for Melee is widely used.

Meele?

Princess Mario

• Donkey Kong
  • LeftyGreenMario
    • View Profile
    • RationalWiki
« Reply #12972 on: January 01, 2015, 12:57:26 AM »

Meele?
"Meele" sounds just about right, but do people use it a lot?

Smash 4 could've done with more hitstun, one-use air dodging, less emphasis on rolling and shielding, more shield-stun, shorter blastlines, and a few others, but the characters do feel more mobile, don't get me wrong. I was afraid that Smash Bros. could've went in Barlw's direction further, but it didn't, and I'm relieved that it's a faster-paced game rather even floatier and slower.

Northern Verve

• Princess of Magic
  • Star Spirit
  • SonicMario
    • View Profile
« Reply #12973 on: January 01, 2015, 01:01:40 AM »
I think Melee's mock name is essentially the "No Items. Fox Only. FINAL DESTINATION" joke

Magikrazy

• Donkey Kong
    • View Profile
« Reply #12974 on: January 01, 2015, 01:03:14 AM »
I prefer FOX ITEMS FINAL ONLY NO DESTINATION!
🦀🦀MAGIK IS GONE🦀🦀

Princess Mario

• Donkey Kong
  • LeftyGreenMario
    • View Profile
    • RationalWiki
« Reply #12975 on: January 01, 2015, 01:04:02 AM »
Well, I like a more concise name for Meele, but yeah, that joke always makes me smirk, I don't know why. I don't like Melee zealots either, who trash Smash 4 probably before it came out, and to a lesser extent, Project M. Or anything that isn't exactly Melee.

Northern Verve

• Princess of Magic
  • Star Spirit
  • SonicMario
    • View Profile
« Reply #12976 on: January 01, 2015, 01:17:58 AM »
Yeah I've heard some Melee fans are so crazy that they nitpick Project M too. Like saying they make the Advanced Techniques like Wavedashing and such easier to do so therefore Project M Pros are noobs to them. :S

Even when you try to appeal to those kind of people you get shat on for doing so

Magikrazy

• Donkey Kong
    • View Profile
« Reply #12977 on: January 01, 2015, 01:25:42 AM »
I imagine them not being able to enjoy literally anything unless it's Melee.

"Our soup of the day is chicken noodle"
"Is there wavedashing in the soup?"
"Excuse m-"
"Can the crackers l-cancel?"
🦀🦀MAGIK IS GONE🦀🦀

BMB

• Celestial Guide
  • Baby Mario Bloops
  • BMB
    • View Profile
« Reply #12978 on: January 01, 2015, 01:51:54 AM »

Honestly I still find Melee to be the worse in the series. There was just too much wrong with it. Smash 4 is definitely amazing, though only the Wii U; 3DS felt like a demo to hold us over for almost 2 months.

ernesth100

• The Scholar
  • Dry Bowser
    • View Profile
    • www.megalst.webs.com
« Reply #12979 on: January 01, 2015, 02:14:06 AM »
I imagine them not being able to enjoy literally anything unless it's Melee.

"Our soup of the day is chicken noodle"
"Is there wavedashing in the soup?"
"Excuse m-"
"Can the crackers l-cancel?"
This made me lol hard.

Honestly I still find Melee to be the worse in the series. There was just too much wrong with it. Smash 4 is definitely amazing, though only the Wii U; 3DS felt like a demo to hold us over for almost 2 months.
I like Smash Series in general. All the games. I mean lets be honest it's the only series you'll be able to have Mario fight Megaman, PacMan and Sonic at once.
C-C-C-Combo Breaker!!!