New Microsoft Console

Red Barchetta

Talk less, smile more.
I've never gotten any Xbox console. But I heard the next Xbox doesn't allow you to play used copies. Every game you buy for it has to be your own new copy (Like somehow the console scans the game and it will forever only work on that particular Console). And also that you must always be Online to play games even when playing on your own. Which just seems generally to be a dumb move no matter how you twist it.

Microsoft's kicking themselves in the foot with those kind of things.

Well, yes, but I've just never heard that phrase before. It sounds a little strange, because you use your foot to kick things, so kicking your foot with your foot just doesn't sound right.

Northern Verve said:
And also that you must always be Online to play games even when playing on your own.

This is false.

Not sure about the used copies thing but i'm actually pretty sure that is false as well.

I have a friend at school who spends all of his time playing XBox and told me about the online thing.

Thanks to you Rocker and can tell him back that this is false.

Virion said:
I just want to see how different they can make it from the current Xbox 360.
Bet your brother wants this.

NSY said:
Thanks to you Rocker and can tell him back that this is false.

Your welcome.

The main thing i don't like about Xbox and the reason i don't have it: You have to pay for the online stuff. Playing online is free on a Ps3, so i prefer it among other reasons, though the others are quite more biased.

GalacticPetey said:
The no-used rumor also surfaced when the PS4 was going to be revealed.

Also for the Ps2 and Ps3.

Time Turner said:
Is there a source for any of the "always-online" or "no used copies" stuff? Either for proving it or dismissing it?

Well for the always online thing there's this

A creative director for Xbox basically defended the notion of always online. And also essentially replied to others in a douche-like manner.

MCS said:
Well, yes, but I've just never heard that phrase before. It sounds a little strange, because you use your foot to kick things, so kicking your foot with your foot just doesn't sound right.

I'm sure he meant "shooting yourself in the foot"

I probably won't ever get the new XBOX. The Xbox 360 hardly had a lot of games I was interested in anyway.

Actually the "always online" rumor is most likely true, here's just one source that has confirmed both, even though I've heard it "only" checks once every 3 minutes or so to see if the console is online. It'll also probably have built-in Kinect.
If so, like the guy above said, they just kicked themselves out of the competition, always online would mean most third-world countries or people that live with shitty ISPs like most of the world wouldn't be able to constantly play Xbox. Add the fact that used games and cheap games would be gone, making it have the highest entry-level for the consoles, will obviously affect it just as it affected the PS3 at launch, but with this console the cause is a part of the console.
In short, I think if the new Xbox has always-on DRM, or doesn't allow used games, it'll sink to Atari Jaguar levels of failure.

Northern Verve said:
Well for the always online thing there's this

A creative director for Xbox basically defended the notion of always online. And also essentially replied to others in a douche-like manner.

What an asshole

Why do game developers find the requirement for players to have an internet connection to play the game so attractive? Do they not realize how unpopular this measure is among video gamers? I know it is supposed to be an anti-piracy act, but it does more harm than help by alienating people without the privilege of a good internet and those with an internet. Nobody likes it. I hate it, even if I have good internet, and it has even killed my interest for certain games. If my computer has an internet that stops working (and that happens way more often than an electricity shortage), I like to do other activities, such as playing computer games. I do not appreciate how certain game developers are making consumers more and more dependent on internet connection quality to have some fun.

Besides, pirates will eventually find a way around it. Taking anti-piracy measures at the expense of customers' satisfaction and customer interest is not going to be worth it, so in the long run, you're still losing customers. Video games on video game consoles should be accessible to everyone as long as they have electricity (which is a can be viewed as a necessity compared to internet).

The creative director's replies to the complaints are very insensitive "(Why on Earth would I live [in Janesville, WI or Blacksburg, VA]?)" and I hope he apologizes, because these comments offend me.

Microsoft has apologized for the comment. Also, this always-on DRM is still just a rumor.

La Marionette said:
Why do game developers find the requirement for players to have an internet connection to play the game so attractive? Do they not realize how unpopular this measure is among video gamers?

Firstly, it's not the game developer's decision, but the company that manufactures the console for this case. Don't place the blame on them.

Second, they don't really give a dang about their customers and care only if it affects sales.

La Marionette said:
Why do game developers find the requirement for players to have an internet connection to play the game so attractive?

Because if the devs that do these things think consumers can't be trusted and most be monitored 24/7 or they'll lend their game to a friend and that friend would be a potential sale lost. Even if pirates will crack the DRM open in like a week, and the only thing that these stuff causes is lost sales, like the SimCity debacle, companies like EA or Microsoft believe they really stop piracy, instead of learning that piracy is good for the industry because it helps potential costumers pick games, so they'll keep forcing it down our throats.
Sometimes knowing Nintendo doesn't get how the Internet works is actually a relief.

Baby Luigi said:
La Marionette said:
Why do game developers find the requirement for players to have an internet connection to play the game so attractive? Do they not realize how unpopular this measure is among video gamers?

Firstly, it's not the game developer's decision, but the company that manufactures the console for this case. Don't place the blame on them.

Second, they don't really give a dang about their customers and care only if it affects sales.

We apologize for the inappropriate comments made by an employee on Twitter yesterday. This person is not a spokesperson for Microsoft, and his personal views do not reflect the customer centric approach we take to our products or how we would communicate directly with our loyal consumers. We are very sorry if this offended anyone, however we have not made any announcements about our product roadmap, and have no further comment on this matter.

This is from Microsoft. The second statement may apply to EA, but this is Microsoft we are talking about. Microsoft has stated that they cater to their customers. The question is this: if they are seriously considering always-on DRM, Microsoft will tick off many customers, and they should be aware of how unpopular that "feature" is.

Xpike said:
Because if the devs that do these things think consumers can't be trusted and most be monitored 24/7 or they'll lend their game to a friend and that friend would be a potential sale lost. Even if pirates will crack the DRM open in like a week, and the only thing that these stuff causes is lost sales, like the SimCity debacle, companies like EA or Microsoft believe they really stop piracy, instead of learning that piracy is good for the industry because it helps potential costumers pick games, so they'll keep forcing it down our throats.
Sometimes knowing Nintendo doesn't get how the Internet works is actually a relief.

I'm not sure if that's the developers/company's thoughts. If I wanted to make the most money, I'd encourage people to spread the word of the game by letting them lend the games (pirating it is another way, as some independent developers actually encourage free-downloading their games for this reason). If I discourage people lending their games, I'll lose sales.

Yeah, maybe Nintendo's being behind on online-related features is a silver lining. Or, maybe they discourage those restrictions on their games and game consoles.

A system that "requires" internet connection? That's it! I will never buy the new Xbox! If microsoft thinks I am going to ask my parents to fork over hundreds of dollars over a system I won't be able to show to my kids in the future when the network for the system shuts down, they must be on life support!

This " online" thing is going to effect sales big time.

If this is true, then it looks like XBox won't win on sales this time round.

Back