Role fishing = automatic innocent win, happens every time

NSY

Celestial Guide
Have you heard about role fishing, I fucking hate it and here's why:

Because most games has at least one innocent that get's confirmed and then they tell everyone to claim. If you look close in the eyes, you will know what the fakeclaims are, rubbish obscure crap and two thirds of these are horrid. LTQ's fakeclaims (no offence) have been so easy to spot that it's not even funny, the problem when you claim the same power or character as an innocent, someone else is going to come in and say, that's my role Vote: *whoever claims their role/character*. Some disagree with it but there's no way past it, in my recent mafia, someone claims Yellow Wisp and yet it was easy to tell that's fake.

SSBB has a 99% chance that the innocents will win, why because SonicMario will be able to notice the ones that are fake and then they will all get lynched, simple as that. It's just lame, it's just cheep and now there's this one tactic, wait for an innocent to die, revive at innocent, gets everyone to claim. This is a tactic that will become common in all mafia games. The last time the mafia won was Yoshi K's mafia because no one bothered to claim in that game and yet the innocents have one when no one bothered to claim. The robots only won Mafia 2101 because they had a big advantage of having an invasion, if that did not exist, I'm pretty sure the innocents would win.

So from now on to make these games easier, give the mafia an included fakeclaim that's not flawed. Banning roleclaiming is scum-sided but you can still chat to the cop with included fakeclaims and not crap. I mafia games to be mafia games not town-sided role fishing madness. I would like to see the innocents win using tactics and wits and not just finding what claims are fake.

I know of a few hosts that are banning mass rolefishing.

Also, it's not scum-supportive if you remove mass rolefishing, because there are plenty of other tactics to fight off mafia then this way.

The problem with this tactic is that it is a cheap, completely a wrong way to approach mafia games, and it takes the fun out of mafia games. Yeah, you want to win, but at what cost? Do you think people like it when they are being lynched over their roleclaim, because of PoE?

Seriously, cut the crap. Yeah, I somewhat did a bit of it in Mag Maf 2, but only with a few people. But if you are going to do this, at least don't over-abuse it as some people have been doing.

I'm actually really glad you brought it up NSY because I know a few of us were trying to figure out how to make this a complaint.

dude that's how the game is played, role fishing always appears in mafias. If you don't like it, then don't play

Dozla said:
dude that's how the game is played, role fishing always appears in mafias. If you don't like it, then don't play

Okay, no, that's not what we are talking about. Of course there is going to be rolefishing, that's understandable.

But I'm - and I think this is what NSY is refering to - is the mass rolefishing that has been happening in SO many games. It's why so many people I have seen been complaining about how many times they get PMed for their role, and how much mafia games are not becoming fun. It's also why I know of at least a couple of hosts that are banning mass rolefishing, because really, is this really what mafia games are coming down to?

As soon as we get a confirmed innocent, everyone has to roleclaim to that person, or else you'll get 20 PMs asking people what their role is. If you don't roleclaim, they vote you for being scummy, if you give a roleclaim and it is all not good enough, you get voted for being scummy, and if you say you'll get it later because you're busy/away, then you get voted for being scummy.

Why can't we have a decent mafia game today where people aren't relying on just rolefishing, or just assuming that "oh this role can't be in the game because so and so" or "that sounds way to superficial", and then you're doomed. Do you think that's the way to play a mafia game? Harass and bully players to roleclaim?

Seriously, it gets tiring being mafia in the last few games and having so many people PM just for a claim, and then so many complaints in the QT's I've been in about how people just won't leave them alone.

It's a very cheap and very low way to play mafia games.

I agree with this, massclaims/role fishing can be pretty cheap. Roleclaiming isn't bad but when you start having random people claim for the sake of claiming.

I personally am going to start giving mafia fakeclaims, and i may just ban mass-claiming/role fishing. I may not ban it completely, but i'll try to enforce not abusing it or something.

Time Turner said:
Garrus Vakarian said:
I personally am going to start giving mafia fakeclaims
That didn't do us much good.

I didn't give you full fakeclaims.

And you don't even need one, you fooled the entire town without my help. Neptune just got put in a bad position for the claim i gave.

Let me clarify: I will be giving mafia members their role and attaching an entire other role for fakeclaiming with it.

Garrus Vakarian said:
Time Turner said:
Garrus Vakarian said:

You gave us a character and a role. I think that counts as a full fakeclaim.

Garrus Vakarian said:
And you don't even need one, you fooled the entire town without my help.
That's just because I made a fakeclaim on my own, because you never made me one.

Time Turner said:
Garrus Vakarian said:
Time Turner said:
Garrus Vakarian said:

You gave us a character and a role. I think that counts as a full fakeclaim.

Garrus Vakarian said:
And you don't even need one, you fooled the entire town without my help.
That's just because I made a fakeclaim on my own, because you never made me one.

I was simply informing you guys what you would come up when copchecked if you used your power on them. Didn't really specify a power, and they would have make up why they had the powers, which is probably the most important part. You didn't get one because you couldn't be copchecked.

Xerneas said:
Why can't we have a decent mafia game today where people aren't relying on just rolefishing, or just assuming that "oh this role can't be in the game because so and so" or "that sounds way to superficial", and then you're doomed.
hey there's C9 mafia
but yeah, massive rolefishing is really dumb

In my mafia games, rolefishing is allowed, but a person can only do it to a person once. No PMing them a thousand times, and the person has the right to "plead the 5th". No trying to abuse it by spamming the person.

Now, if it turns into a discussion, then that is fine, as they can discuss via PM and that will be alright. But that is if the one being asked a roleclaim allows it, but they can plead the 5th whenever they want. Still figuring it out. I kind of want to make a Bill of Rights of all my rules now... Too late, going to do it.

Of course, I'm still figuring out a way to handle this. I'm debating whether or not to make rules about voting people because they won't give them their claim. I have to rethink it, but I think that people will not be allowed to have their vote count if they say because people won't say their role, but if it leads to a bandwagon, the rest of the votes still count. Though I think that would go way too far and that there have been stupider reasons people are lynched.

As for giving fakeclaims, I don't give fakeclaims unless it is to the Godfather, and I tell them what they appear on cop checks.

Are role fishing and popcorn the same thing? I'm thinking about banning role fishing for VMII to make it interesting.

Finland said:
Are role fishing and popcorn the same thing? I'm thinking about banning role fishing for VMII to make it interesting.

It won't be that hard.

We got mafia in Mag Maf 2 just by putting pieces together, and we didn't even ask for Nitwit's role, so yeah, that's how it was done many times before.

Xerneas said:
Finland said:

It won't be that hard.

We got mafia in Mag Maf 2 just by putting pieces together, and we didn't even ask for Nitwit's role, so yeah, that's how it was done many times before.
actually you got mafia in Mag. Maf 2 by taking advantage of someone's power and then getting claims from everyone else to use PoE

I'm on my 3DS, so I can't be bothered with quote boxes.

1. "Give the mafia fakeclaims"

To be a good mafia player you need to come up with your own fakeclaims, while the Godfather should be told what they'll appear as in cop checks.

2. "Make a rule against voting people that won't roleclaim"

The innocents should be smart enough to know when someone is getting lynched for a stupid reason.

Beat said:

The innocents should be smart enough to know when someone is getting lynched for a stupid reason.
Ha. I've seen people lynched simply because they weren't that good at Mafias in other games. I've been lynched for asking if anyone had any leads.

Len Kagamine said:
Role fishing.
What happened at My Little Pony Friendship Is Mafia...Again
Lord, I think I had a heart attack when I saw a million roles in the quicktopic.

Oh yeah, so that's why I forgot about the game - it wasn't fun, but not your fault.

Another reason I like the User Mafias (Rocker Mafia, Volcano Mafia) is because there can be a large array of characters and roles can be completely unexpected.

Time Turner said:
Beat said:

Ha. I've seen people lynched simply because they weren't that good at Mafias in other games. I've been lynched for asking if anyone had any leads.

I laughed too. Hell, one of the best strategies as mafia in making mislynches is to use bs reasoning, and the innocents sheep you. >:D

Xerneas said:
Time Turner said:
Beat said:

I laughed too. Hell, one of the best strategies as mafia in making mislynches is to use bs reasoning, and the innocents sheep you. >:D
I was lynched by an Innocent.

Time Turner said:
Beat said:

Should be, not will be; people are still lynched for just being confirmed innocent.

OR

make better roleclaims and use strategy

Back