Author Topic: Supper Mario Broth  (Read 17648 times)

Glowsquid

• Dans une galaxie près de chez vous!
  • Global Moderator
  • Shine Sprite
    • View Profile
    • http://darkadia.com/member/glowsquid
Re: Supper Mario Broth
« Reply #160 on: September 03, 2018, 06:47:00 PM »
late but w/e

Rest in peace, Walkazo.

Christmas Crow

• Whomp
  • Sgt Jack V
  • Hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: September 03, 2018, 07:27:46 PM »
Sorry it took too long to get this done.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bvq4w1ynky40jc2/suppermariobroth%20-%20Copy.zip?dl=0

I think some things are missing that you would usually get if you used the downloader I mentioned before due to a thunderstorm knocking out my power at the tail end of the downloading process for these files.
"Hey, wait a minute! You're not Joel!"
"Thaaaat's riiiight!"

« Reply #162 on: September 03, 2018, 08:10:27 PM »
Sorry it took too long to get this done.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bvq4w1ynky40jc2/suppermariobroth%20-%20Copy.zip?dl=0
Thank you very much for doing this. I have taken a look at it and the amount of content to sift through to find the deleted posts is daunting, so please understand if this will take me a while, especially with the new added responsibilities of the Patreon I just launched. However, once I am finished, I will contact the original author to get some additional commentary (as my readers seem to enjoy that) and publish everything in an Imgur album. You will be credited prominently for your work.

Mister Wu

• Wiki Patroller
  • King Bowser
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: September 05, 2018, 10:01:50 AM »

So this is apparently how Princess Peach could have looked like, but they went with a human design in the end. Personally, if that were to be Peach's design, my first impression of hew wouldn't be that she's generic. Then again, the people who loved Peach wouldn't have like this one.

Thank you for reading.
Actually, that comes from a NA guide released in 1987, considering how in 1986 Princess Peach's modern design by Kotabe was finalized, I'm not sure if that was an actual design from Nintendo Co., Ltd. or just one of those marvelous "reinterpretations" that were so common at the time.

Fawful Claus

• Star Spirit
  • Fawfulthegreat64
    • View Profile
    • Mario RPG Universe
« Reply #164 on: September 05, 2018, 06:29:41 PM »
Why is she wearing cheese on her head is my question.

Borp

• Cheep-Cheep
  • Vent
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: September 05, 2018, 07:48:20 PM »
Actually, that comes from a NA guide released in 1987, considering how in 1986 Princess Peach's modern design by Kotabe was finalized, I'm not sure if that was an actual design from Nintendo Co., Ltd. or just one of those marvelous "reinterpretations" that were so common at the time.

The name of the book is 'How to Win at Super Mario Bros.', and I found out not long ago that it's actually a localization of Tokuma Shoten's スーパーマリオブラザーズ 完全攻略本 (Super Mario Bros. kanzen kouryaku bon, or "perfect capture book"), which was apparently one of the best selling pieces of literature in Japan in 1985. So yeah, the art is actually from Japan after all...!

Mario's Drunken Holiday Special

• "It's Christmas again. It will never be the sa-a-a-a-ame. I know there's only sadness in my so-o-o-o-ul."
  • Donkey Kong
  • LeftyGreenMario
  • R.I.P. Walkazo December 16, 1991 - March 27, 2016
    • View Profile
    • RationalWiki
« Reply #166 on: September 08, 2018, 09:29:06 PM »
Finding old posts is pretty hard! What happened to that post related to Mario Strikers Charged (the Brawl trophy one in particular)? I found that Super Smash Bros. Brawl is an odd choice to single out that particular Mario, especially with the conclusion being that it's the only Mario game where Mario has visible gums and individual teeth.
"Mario begins his ascension to the celestial realm, Luigi spontaneously becomes a twitching pile of boneless flesh and Daisy is nonchalantly like 'this is fine'." -NanoRim

Fawful Claus

• Star Spirit
  • Fawfulthegreat64
    • View Profile
    • Mario RPG Universe
« Reply #167 on: September 08, 2018, 09:40:29 PM »
IIRC at one point I saw my Sticker Star-style Dimentio shared on Supper Mario Broth years ago. Looks like that's not in the archive though. It's terrible art anyway but I wish I could verify if it was indeed shared or if it's my memory fabricating it out of 2 unrelated memories :P

« Reply #168 on: September 09, 2018, 03:57:57 AM »
Finding old posts is pretty hard! What happened to that post related to Mario Strikers Charged (the Brawl trophy one in particular)? I found that Super Smash Bros. Brawl is an odd choice to single out that particular Mario, especially with the conclusion being that it's the only Mario game where Mario has visible gums and individual teeth.
The post is still here: https://twitter.com/MarioBrothBlog/status/979186313541967875
As for finding old posts, I constantly delete old posts that have people show me counterexamples to my point. My policy is, "if anyone can show proof that the post is not 100% correct, delete it immediately". And if you have an example of another Mario model with separate teeth, I will delete the above post as well.
IIRC at one point I saw my Sticker Star-style Dimentio shared on Supper Mario Broth years ago. Looks like that's not in the archive though. It's terrible art anyway but I wish I could verify if it was indeed shared or if it's my memory fabricating it out of 2 unrelated memories :P
It was reblogged by the original author sometime in 2013, but was deleted by me in 2016 when I removed all fan content posts. In retrospect I wish I simply put a disclaimer on those posts instead. I apologize. You must understand that back when I removed those posts, I was under the impression that it would infuriate readers to leave them up, as they would be confused as to which of them were factual and which were not. The disclaimer idea simply did not come to me until it was too late.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 04:14:25 AM by Supper Mario Broth »

• "It's Christmas again. It will never be the sa-a-a-a-ame. I know there's only sadness in my so-o-o-o-ul."
  • Donkey Kong
  • LeftyGreenMario
    • View Profile
    • RationalWiki
« Reply #169 on: September 09, 2018, 04:01:22 PM »
I find that post still very odd. I'm not sure why you mention "within the Super Smash Bros. series" when it's a notable thing for the Mario series as a whole. You can tell from the responses that the context of "within the Super Smash Bros. series" doesn't really work, so I think the post is giving people misleading impressions. And I think this is a better image to show Mario's teeth, as his mouth is spread and you can even see the gum details there.

If you're going for shock value (which the post has accomplished apparently), this image better suits the bill. Anyone who says "it's a mouthguard" hasn't played Mario Strikers Charged.
"Mario begins his ascension to the celestial realm, Luigi spontaneously becomes a twitching pile of boneless flesh and Daisy is nonchalantly like 'this is fine'." -NanoRim

« Reply #170 on: September 09, 2018, 06:24:50 PM »
You can tell from the responses that the context of "within the Super Smash Bros. series" doesn't really work, so I think the post is giving people misleading impressions.

You are right. I have deleted the post for being misleading. Thank you for pointing this out.

Christmas Crow

• Whomp
  • Sgt Jack V
  • Hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: September 10, 2018, 08:40:56 AM »
Hey, look! I'm famous!
"Thaaaat's riiiight!"

ZelenPixel

• some heck
  • Monty Mole
  • Mashabely
    • View Profile
    • wiki user page
« Reply #172 on: September 12, 2018, 05:57:42 AM »
absolutely love this blog, been following it since 2016, keep up the good work!
i was wondering if the carrot sprite could change someday to some other carrot, maybe similar to its artwork?
not asking it to be changed, its very good already and its iconic, so id be perfectly fine if it stayed! im just curious if that could happen.

• Donkey Kong
  • LeftyGreenMario
    • View Profile
    • RationalWiki
« Reply #173 on: September 12, 2018, 11:23:20 PM »
Is there an easier way to browse through older posts? I wish there's a way to check out all the tags rather than parse through posts of related content and then finding the tags there.

Christmas Crow

• Whomp
  • Sgt Jack V
  • Hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: September 13, 2018, 12:30:54 AM »
Is there an easier way to browse through older posts? I wish there's a way to check out all the tags rather than parse through posts of related content and then finding the tags there.
There used to be a search function, but an update at some point removed it.
"Thaaaat's riiiight!"

« Reply #175 on: September 13, 2018, 07:21:37 AM »
absolutely love this blog, been following it since 2016, keep up the good work!
i was wondering if the carrot sprite could change someday to some other carrot, maybe similar to its artwork?
not asking it to be changed, its very good already and its iconic, so id be perfectly fine if it stayed! im just curious if that could happen.
Thank you very much. The sprite has now been in use for too long to change it, as doing so may lead to confusion whether this is really the same person, especially after a history of not changing it for six years. I have drawn other versions of it before, such as the one used for the "Supper Mario Broth Supper Show" under the membership tiers on my Patreon, but those are not to be used as icons.

Is there an easier way to browse through older posts?
There used to be a search function, but an update at some point removed it.
I'm afraid that's true, but not for a lack of trying. I have zero knowledge of web development, as this was handled by the original author (I merely did the artwork), so I do not know how to fix this. I have tried several times to insert code for search bars that would work in the same way the old one did, only to fail. However, there is a workaround. Simply input www.suppermariobroth.com/search/ followed by your search term into the address bar. This should still work; you may also use spaces within your search term. For example, "www.suppermariobroth.com/search/waluigi wario" will bring up results containing both Waluigi and Wario.

Christmas Crow

• Whomp
  • Sgt Jack V
  • Hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: September 13, 2018, 08:23:36 AM »
Simply input www.suppermariobroth.com/search/ followed by your search term into the address bar. This should still work; you may also use spaces within your search term. For example, "www.suppermariobroth.com/search/waluigi wario" will bring up results containing both Waluigi and Wario.
Heh, of course I knew that. I just didn't remember earlier and I was too dang lazy to try to do it again.
"Thaaaat's riiiight!"

winstein

• Dry Bowser
  • Justice is not limited, it is a universal quality
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: September 18, 2018, 03:32:01 AM »
There is an interview on Vice about Supper Mario Broth here: https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/article/vbnewa/meet-the-meticulous-fan-behind-the-internets-most-meticulous-mario-blog

Excerpts from the interview:
“[long pause] The people that I could turn to normally in real-life at all had their own difficulties,” said the blog’s author, who asked to be addressed as Broth, out of respect for his privacy. “Normally, I do not try to trouble my readers. I know that people come to Supper Mario Broth just to see some Mario facts. They do not come here to listen to my problems.”

His problems aren’t simple, though, and have repeated in recent years. A little while back, he was forced to sell every video game he’s ever owned, including the consoles they ran on. The majority of his collection was Mario-related, and some of the items went back decades.

“It was very saddening, but I'm, of course, more glad that this could help me out of the trouble I had at that time than than the fact that I needed to sell them,” he said. “Because in the end—this just may sound a little bit sentimental—but these Mario games are all living on inside my own head. I do not need consoles to close my eyes and imagine myself playing Super Mario Bros.”
The two knew each other in real-life, and bonded over a shared hobby. The name Supper Mario Broth came from a brainstorming session where Super Mario Borscht and Soapy Mario Bath were both names they almost settled on. But they decided to stay in the realm of food, thanks to the series’ regular theming around the topic, and Supper Mario Broth stuck.

Thank you for reading.
(Credit goes to Alex95 for this signature)

winstein

• Dry Bowser
  • Justice is not limited, it is a universal quality
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: October 21, 2018, 10:24:39 PM »
I didn't know there is a different Supper Mario Broth blog dedicated to smaller findings! It's here, and it's called "Small Mario Findings": https://smallmariofindings.tumblr.com

As to why it's called "Small Mario Findings"?

In Super Mario Maker for the Nintendo 3DS, it is normally not possible to obtain a Mystery Mushroom, the costume-changing item from the Wii U version of Super Mario Maker. However, prior to version 1.03, oversights like Big Magikoopas being able to turn a block into a Mystery Mushroom resulted in players being able to obtain it. When Mario collects a Mystery Mushroom in this version, his appearance remains that of Small Mario, despite no Mystery Mushroom granting that costume (the closest being Costume 2, which is Small Mario with a modern red-and-blue color scheme). As the costume retains all normal Costume Mario functionality, Mario can crouch, which is the sprite depicted here.

However, the sprite is not truly unique to the 3DS version. It is possible to see it in a different resolution in the Wii U version, by using a “30th Anniversary Mario - Classic Color” amiibo and obtaining a Big Mushroom, which turns him into a version of Small Mario that is twice the size, i.e. with each pixel being a 2x2 pixel square. The Big Mushroom grants Mario a different set of abilities from the Mystery Mushroom, but crouching is still among them, meaning that when Big Mario crouches, he uses this exact sprite - but at twice the size.

This sprite was chosen as the avatar image for this blog due to the fact that the blog’s name is “Small Mario Findings” and it depicts Small Mario; and also due to the fact that it is, in both the literal sense and the metaphorical sense, a small finding: it is a smaller version of a regular sprite that can only be seen under very specific circumstances.

This is why the blog's header has Super Mario Maker's font.

--

Here are a couple of images from that website:

Thank you for reading.
(Credit goes to Alex95 for this signature)

Glowsquid

• Dans une galaxie près de chez vous!
  • Global Moderator
  • Shine Sprite
    • View Profile
    • http://darkadia.com/member/glowsquid
« Reply #179 on: November 08, 2018, 06:41:06 PM »
Rest in peace, Walkazo.