Power Characters are too powerful?

#1Petey_Fan

Petey rules!
I looked and couldn't find a thread similar to this. So. I was playing Mario Power Tennis, finally unlocked Petey Piranha, and I realized that despite being one of the slowest characters in the game Petey might be one of the strongest. I've won particularly every single match in a complete shut-out; my opponents barely ever scored.

He is, as you all probably know, a Power character like Bowser and DK. Power characters are typically slower in comparison to the others in the game, but that's probably why they're so powerful. But are they TOO powerful? Should a mutant piranha plant really be able to beat Mario in a tennis match? Rainbow Cup no less.

What do you think? Should Power characters be made less powerful to even the odds or should things stay the way they are?

(Personally I have no complaints with Petey. But then I never do.)

Power characters are fine the way they are. They suck at volleying, so they can't really play offensively like characters who are good at staying in front of the net.

Petey is the strongest in the game, but if he goes to the front, he's very easy to peg. Not to mention his reach and his speed are lackluster.

BTW, the CPUs in this game aren't the best anyway. Rainbow Cup? Are you kidding me? That's filled with easy computers.

The Power characters aren't exactly that tough when you realize that they're pretty sluggish, and have a hard time lunging for out of reach shots. Also, drop shots can really irritate the Power characters, since they're not exactly known for effectively playing near the net.

Koopa Troopa is one example of a character who can give the Power characters some trouble, especially when you take into account its Offensive Power Shot.

I would like to point out that Donkey Kong's power shots leaves him laggy like hell, and a quick counter such as an immediate defensive shot easily wins you a point.

I beat the game with every character on the hardest difficulty...none of them are over powered..it's all just your imagination :P

Ghostony said:
I beat the game with every character on the hardest difficulty...none of them are over powered..it's all just your imagination :P

Have you tried beating Star Ace computers?

Baby Luigi said:
Ghostony said:

Have you tried beating Star Ace computers?
That's exactly what I was referring to by hardest difficulty lol, although this only counts for regular and team matches, not item matches and not the ring matches..

Star Ace computers are pretty easy to defeat once you exploited their tendency to use Power Shots at the wrong time

my best strategy was to just pick up the rhythm and go with it lol, somehow I do better when I'm half daydreaming while playing it, instead of being fully focused..idk why.. it just worked for me..

btw do you have it for GC or wii? I have the GC one.. never played the wii version before

I have the GC Power Tennis. I don't want to bother with the Wii one, since it's the same game, but with different controls.

The strategy I have for exploiting their Power Shots with a quick defensive shot works with most characters, and it's a quick way of defeating them.

Yeah, I remember there's a quick shot you can do by sending the ball right at the edge of the court both front and back (this was actually really hard for me to pull of with power types), games went by fast with that.. but never do that on 2players, it will piss off your friends :P

and who was your favorite character? I'm guessing opening posters is petey

My favorites were Boo and Daisy

I don't really have a main in this game, but I mainly use Paratroopa, Boo, Bowser Jr., and Fly Guy. Don't ask me why I use all the Tricky characters; Tricky isn't even my preferred type. It's technique that I love.

Isn't this conversation going off-topic? If you wanted to talk about a different topic, a new thread could've been made for that.

I wasn't referring to just Mario Power Tennis though (btw I have, or rather I'm borrowing, the GC version since I don't have a Wii yet) I was also referring to other games like Superstar Baseball. Probably should have made that clearer in the opening post. Sorry.

Naah... I dont think they're overpowered, they have both benefits and drawbacks just like the rest of the character types. They might be powerful, but they're often slow and easy to out play.

#1Petey_Fan said:
I wasn't referring to just Mario Power Tennis though (btw I have, or rather I'm borrowing, the GC version since I don't have a Wii yet) I was also referring to other games like Superstar Baseball. Probably should have made that clearer in the opening post. Sorry.

Power characters suck at defense. They're too slow and they have crappy fielding. Speed characters often get underestimated due to their poor offense.

If Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games counts, I think the Power characters aren't OP, they're kind of slow and easy to defeat IMO. Even the All Around or Speed characters can be better in some spaces.

Back