How about getting a more modern forum?

Anser

King Bowser
I'm not talking about design. I'm talking about the functions we could have. For example, in Bulbapedia's forums you have the notification system, which notifies you (duh) when you get a reply, a private message (I know this one does that too) and even has a Like function. Their forum is customizable and has many other things. Sometimes I'd like to Like a post here and I can't. Sometimes, people reply to me in some threads and I never notice because there's nothing that tells me about it (yes, the "Show new replies to your posts" option tells you when there are replies, but not directly to your posts but to the thread in general).

I'm not criticizing this forum, I just say that we could have a more modern one.

Anyone agrees?

There's already a notification system in place for replies. The forum is in fact customizable and has been modified in some instances; the like button has been proposed not too long ago, but it has been turned down due to the possible consequences.

Gundam Tanaka said:
There's already a notification system in place for replies. The forum is in fact customizable and has been modified in some instances; the like button has been proposed not too long ago, but it has been turned down due to the possible consequences.

How do I activate the notification system? And consequences? Which possible consequences could stating that you like a post have?

By clicking "Notify", which is next to "Reply".

Saul Slendamann said:

Oh, good. Thanks. Does that notify the replies specifically to my post or to the thread as a whole?

I think it's a little bit of a nuisance. One should not have to choose the Notify option. It should be automatic like Bulbapedia's.

Anser said:
Gundam Tanaka said:

How do I activate the notification system? And consequences? Which possible consequences could stating that you like a post have?
People getting into fights about likes, people starting to become obsessed with getting as many likes as possible were some of the primary reasons I think.

Gundam Tanaka said:
Anser said:
Gundam Tanaka said:

People getting into fights about likes, people starting to become obsessed with getting as many likes as possible were some of the primary reasons I think.

I don't think any of those things will happen. I mean, at least it doesn't happen at Bulbapedia. One can't make people like their posts just because; it's not a mandatory thing. I guess you say people will get all "Like my post if blah blah blah" like on Facebook and Twitter. They could create a rule to infract people who make such stupid comments.

Anser said:
Gundam Tanaka said:
Anser said:
Gundam Tanaka said:

I don't think any of those things will happen. I mean, at least it doesn't happen at Bulbapedia. One can't make people like their posts just because; it's not a mandatory thing. I guess you say people will get all "Like my post if blah blah blah" like on Facebook and Twitter. They could create a rule to infract people who make such stupid comments.
We couldn't have everyone's post counts publicly displayed without massive complaints and confusion. This will not be any better.

Time Turner said:
Anser said:
Gundam Tanaka said:
Anser said:
Gundam Tanaka said:

We couldn't have everyone's post counts publicly displayed without massive complaints and confusion. This will not be any better.

I still don't understand why it has to be like that. You must say I'm obsessed with Bulbapedia, but the thing is that those forums are excellent, and none of the things you're stating occur there. It doesn't have to be like that =/

Anser said:
I still don't understand why it has to be like that. You must say I'm obsessed with Bulbapedia, but the thing is that those forums are excellent, and none of the things you're stating occur there. It doesn't have to be like that =/

Bulbapedia forums and Super Mario Wiki forums are different places,the like system would most likely cause problems on here,wich we don't need.

Anser said:
Time Turner said:
Anser said:
Gundam Tanaka said:
Anser said:
Gundam Tanaka said:

Different forums have different communities.

Anser said:
Saul Slendamann said:

Oh, good. Thanks. Does that notify the replies specifically to my post or to the thread as a whole?

I think it's a little bit of a nuisance. One should not have to choose the Notify option. It should be automatic like Bulbapedia's.
It will notify you via email of new replies to the thread as a whole, but you won't get additional notifications until you visit the topic.

Anser said:
For example, in Bulbapedia's forums you have the notification system, which notifies you (duh) when you get a reply,
We already do that.

Anser said:
a private message (I know this one does that too)
Yup.

Anser said:
and even has a Like function. [...] Sometimes I'd like to Like a post here and I can't.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's in place to prevent certain users (i.e., Smasher) from racking up thousands of likes just because we like him or her.

Anser said:
Their forum is customizable and has many other things

Don't see a reason why the good ol' red, white, and black can't do the job just as well as any other color scheme.

Anser said:
Sometimes, people reply to me in some threads and I never notice because there's nothing that tells me about it (yes, the "Show new replies to your posts" option tells you when there are replies, but not directly to your posts but to the thread in general).

Spam the "Show unread posts to your posts" button, and wait for a response.
Remember what page your post was on, or utilize the "CTRL-F" feature doable on pretty much every device I know of.
Find your post and read replies.
Profit.

The fact is, Mario Wiki uses SMF, while Bulbapedia uses vBulletin, so free vs paid.
Free Forums usually have way less features than the Paid Forums.
At CW-Games, we as well use IP.Board, loads of features I can't find in any free Forum Software on this planet, but I don't think Porple really wants to pay every 6 months, in order to be able to Update the Forums.

IP.Board alone is $ 175 USD for a new license, and then $ 25 USD for every 6 months.
Then people want a:
- Website.
- Chat System.
- ShoutBox.
- Blogs.
- Webshop.
- Download System.
- Gallery.

And bam! $ 110 USD every 6 months!
I know that, because we at CW-Games actually do that.

vBulletin is only more expensive, and more primitive, in my opinion.
GBATemp recently switched to XenForo, that's one nice piece of Forum Software, but again, paid.
But...XenForo is a bit cheaper than IP.Board, and looks generally nicer.

Well, I suppose there is, since the free version gives you a smfforfree.com domain.

Or maybe you just buy the domain and SMF is free. I don't know, ignore me.

SMF is always for free, that's why there are sites like smfforfree.com.
The thing is, Porple hosts his own websites himself, he just downloaded SMF from the official site, installed it on his Servers, and there you go.

Official site: http://www.simplemachines.org/
Download page: http://download.simplemachines.org/

MKGirlism said:
SMF is always for free, that's why there are sites like smfforfree.com.
The thing is, Porple hosts his own websites himself, he just downloaded SMF from the official site, installed it on his Servers, and there you go.

Official site: http://www.simplemachines.org/
Download page: http://download.simplemachines.org/

Exactly, that's what I was thinking as well. And since I'm a forum software "insider", I can also confirm this as well. Yeah, the Simple Machines Forum system is a free software that Porplemontage chose to implement for this part of the site. And if I'm not mistaken, the SMF forum software is one of the trusted ones out there on the free side.

And yeah, those paid forum software ones are very pricey with the top ones being vBulletin and IPB. But heck, I don't even like how IPB is laid out now. Made me lose interest in one community that runs that software because of how confusing it is layout wise.

:lol: Yeah, no.

Trusted modern forum software (especially on the free end for those of us who can't afford paid forum software) FTW.

I like this forum as-is. DO NOT TRY AND BUILD UPON PERFECTION.

Actually, MeritC, I really like IP.Board.
New licenses are really expensive, but they provide great support in return.

I've even once fucked up the CMS System of it (IP.Content), I wasn't able to fix it, and so my brother wasn't, so I've put up a Support Ticket.
They've logged in via the Back-End, and solved the problem for me.
Besides, renewals are pretty cheap.

Speaking of FFS (Free Forum Software), my Blog runs on AcmlmBoardXD, which is also quite nice, plus all of the security issues from AcmlmBoard are all nailed out.
And AcmlmBoardXD is highly focusses on Mario-based sites.

i would like to be able to customize the forum's skins, but that's it - i like the rest of the forum as it is

Back