'Shroom Consultant
MarioWiki
Shokora
Current staff:

Bureaucrats
Administrators
Patrollers
Staff forum profiles

This thread is meant to bring attention to any changes we have had recently to Super Mario Wiki policies, and will be kept updated by the admins. If you have any questions or concerns regarding a policy change, feel free to post a comment, however this is not somewhere to simply complain or forcefully challenge policies you take issues with. Please keep discussions civil and remember that the admins will always have the final say.

These are the most recent changes we have had to policies;
  • 2nd January 2013 - As we now allow anonymous IPs to edit, the Blocking Policy has been updated to suit the new change.
  • 9th January 2013 - The BJAODN rule which discourages user comments below sections has been changed. We are now more lenient on commenting, while still restricting comments which aren't aimed at making the section funnier, as well as back-and-forth exchanges.
  • 15th January 2013 - MarioWiki:Glitch was created. This page provides pointers on how to organise the information present in Glitch pages, and explain in what circumstances a glitch isn't legitimate for coverage on the wiki.

Updates on policies are posted by the admins using new replies to this topic.

Last edited:
Re: Wiki Policy Updates

Add the removal of "Affiliation" in character infobox

Yep, that too. So officially, a proposal passed which made the decision to remove "affiliation" parameter in the character infobox. So if you see any on articles, help us out. Also, see this forum thread.

Virtual Dino said:
As we now allow anonymous IPs to edit, the Blocking Policy has been updated to suit the new change.
And now the warning Policy has been updated too. Basically, don't issue warnings to anonymous users. If you see an anon doing bad things, either informally explain to them what they're doing wrong and ask them to stop, or tattle on them to an admin so that the IP can be temporarily blocked. Also, anonymous IPs can't issue warnings.

Good thing the Warning Policy got updated. I was a little confused and conflicted whether to issue a reminder to IP users who didn't make good edits or not.

Baby Luigi said:
Good thing the Warning Policy got updated. I was a little confused and conflicted whether to issue a reminder to IP users who didn't make good edits or not.
The current guidelines should cover everything now.

So wait, does this mean that you have to issue a non-template warning to anon. users?

So you would post the exact same words of a warning, but not the template?

No, just use your own words.

The point is to intercept anons who probably mean well but are going about it the wrong way, and explain what they're doing wrong so that they can improve their editing. If whatever they're doing is so bad that it simply deserves a "stop that or you'll be blocked" chastising, then don't talk to them at all: talk to an admin and they'll probably just block the IP for a bit.

OK. There aren't any IPs breaking the rules right now, but I was just asking so I know what to do if it does happen.

Love the colors :3

New policy: From the idea of this proposal, Porple has updated the Naming policy to include standards for article identifiers. This will override the previous guidelines where an identifier must match the game it appears in. An identifier is when the same title for a subject is shared across multiple articles on the wiki, brackets are used in the title to identify them. For example, Funky (Super Mario World). Recently some users have noticed that a game identifier won't always be the most suitable title. So now, what appears in the brackets will depend on the type of article. The guidelines are fairly new, so comments and suggestions are welcome either here or while the proposal discussion is still open.

EDIT: Proposal discussion has since been closed.

New policy: The Userspace policy has a new point. Users are not allowed more than six YouTube videos on any given page, as excessive YT videos may easily crash other user's computers. Users who exceed this limit may be asked to remove the additional videos, or they will be removed for them. As an alternative to embedding, users are permitted to have as many direct links to said videos as they want.

Thanks for the enthusiasm, but this isn't actually the place to announce the outcomes of proposals. It's more for the admins to let users know about changes we've made behind the scenes, and to occasionally emphasize major policy changes happening as a result of proposals (namely stuff that affects articles, since those changes are the most visible, farthest-reaching, and often in need of collaboration efforts as part of their rollout).

I dunno, I feel like sometimes, people miss out on proposal outcomes. And technically, proposals do count as wiki policy changes

Still, it's best not to water down this thread with relatively minor changes. Don't worry - we've got this covered.

New policy: MarioWiki:Userspace has been updated: users are no longer allowed to run fictional stores or other businesses out of their userspace, as this often results in excessive userspace editing, rather than mainspace editing.

As I said on the proposal, definitely agreed with this. It does nothing but flood the "Recent Changes" with a lot of userspace edits, plus it takes away from the wiki's focus -- making sure the main articles for said wiki are kept in check content wise.

Almost every user I saw (not meaning to pick on anyone here) had more edits to userspace than mainspace. Sure, some people might be a little mad from the withdrawal, but this will ensure they get in more mainspace dits.

Back