Author Topic: Updates on wiki policy / List of current staff  (Read 22248 times)

Glowsquid

• Dans une galaxie près de chez vous!
  • Global Moderator
  • Shine Sprite
    • View Profile
    • http://darkadia.com/member/glowsquid
Re: Wiki Policy Updates
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2013, 05:29:46 PM »
MarioWiki:Citation Policy has been updated to be more comprehensive and better written.
Rest in peace, Walkazo.

Shokora

• Retired Wiki Staff
  • Dry Bowser
  • L'esclavage D'amour
    • View Profile
    • PidgiWiki
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2013, 02:28:04 AM »
New policy: MarioWiki:Userspace has been updated: users are no longer allowed to run fictional stores or other businesses out of their userspace, as this often results in excessive userspace editing, rather than mainspace editing.

Bluejay Staraptor

• King Bowser
  • A Paragoomba and the Koopa Bros.
  • Actually Braixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2013, 01:33:12 PM »
I did plan on opening a shop, but I was highly unsatisfied with it, so I didn't make it.
Seriously, what should I actually put here?

MeritC

• Retired Wiki Staff
  • Lakitu
    • View Profile
    • M.C.'s "Mario Music" SNES Arrangement Gallery - Home Base (Arranging modern Mario tunes into the Super Nintendo music style!)
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2013, 02:05:12 PM »
As I said on the proposal, definitely agreed with this. It does nothing but flood the "Recent Changes" with a lot of userspace edits, plus it takes away from the wiki's focus -- making sure the main articles for said wiki are kept in check content wise.

Drift

• christmas in july?
  • Banned
  • Shine Sprite
  • Driftmaster130
  • Rest in Peace, Walkazo
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2013, 05:41:46 PM »
Almost every user I saw (not meaning to pick on anyone here) had more edits to userspace than mainspace. Sure, some people might be a little mad from the withdrawal, but this will ensure they get in more mainspace dits.
has Drift finally lost his *bleep*? or is he once again pretending that his brother is using his account? will little Ricky be reunited with Lucy?

tune in next time for the exciting adventures of: Drift: A Bleepposting Tale

Shokora

• Retired Wiki Staff
  • Dry Bowser
  • L'esclavage D'amour
    • View Profile
    • PidgiWiki
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2013, 05:53:30 PM »
As discussed on the proposals archive, we're not expecting all those users who had usershops to suddenly be very active in mainspace, but we're hoping for at least an improvement from the mean of them.

Glowsquid

• Dans une galaxie près de chez vous!
  • Global Moderator
  • Shine Sprite
    • View Profile
    • http://darkadia.com/member/glowsquid
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2013, 10:33:14 AM »
MarioWiki:Galleries has been created to explain how to format and organize the gallery pages.
Rest in peace, Walkazo.

Walkazo

• Dragon Lady
  • Wiki Bureaucrat
  • Shine Sprite
  • Thou liest!
    • View Profile
    • Fanfiction.net
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2013, 02:37:46 PM »
MarioWiki:Navigation Templates has been updated to reflect the new way to code and colour templates. It's got some instructions, but as always, the best way to figure out what to do is by looking at stuff that's already been coded (in this case, check out templates that have already been updated).

Walkazo

• Dragon Lady
  • Wiki Bureaucrat
  • Shine Sprite
  • Thou liest!
    • View Profile
    • Fanfiction.net
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2013, 12:48:25 PM »
Lately there has been an influx of entire songs (and even whole albums) being uploaded as OGG files, as well as efforts to create full scripts for various games. However, the goal of the wiki is not to become an alternative to the games (and other media) themselves. We can provide summaries of plots, compilations like the regular quotes pages, small (~15 seconds) clips of music, still images and artwork from games and other screen media, and select scanned covers and pages from publications, but we should not be copying full scripts, full music tracks, complete scans of comics, and anything else that's more than merely sampling the content. Not only is it going overboard and far beyond the scope of the wiki, but there are also concerns among the staff that we could be drifting towards iffy legal territories.

There are plenty of places on the internet for full scans, scripts and soundtracks, but the wiki is not one of them, and the staff has decided to put a stop to these worrying trends before they go too far. Our apologies to those who have already sunk a lot of time into creating the script pages and OGG files - we will leave the content up for a little while longer before we start deleting it, but please be aware that this sort of content is no longer permissible.

If you have any questions about what sorta content is or isn't allowed, by all means, ask away.

Megadardery

• Megadardery
  • King Bowser
  • Dashbot
  • BREEE
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2013, 05:46:08 PM »
What about already created stuff?

Hobbes

• Wiki Administrator
  • Core 'Shroom Staff
  • Star Spirit
  • tucayo
  • Poll Committee Vice-Chairman
    • View Profile
    • The 'Shroom
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2013, 06:14:26 PM »
We will give a short period to back up all content, and then it will be deleted. For OGG files, short clips of each file can be reuploaded in their place.

Ray Trace

• Yeah, hahaha, a little bit more hand sanitizer and we wouldn't be in this mess.
  • Mushroom Attendant
  • Baby Luigi
  • 🇷🇺 Малыш Луиджи 🇷🇺 – сырная бл🧀🧀🧀 Тарелка!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2013, 07:41:57 PM »
I have a question: what if some said music tracks aren't even used in the final game, and there is no other means of "legally" obtaining them other than a direct rip of a game (ie there's no CD released). Shouldn't that even qualify under "fair use" if there is no released soundtrack of the game?
RIP B. "Walkazo" Dalziel. December 16, 1991 to March 27, 2016.

porplemontage

• Wiki Proprietor
  • Piranha Plant
    • View Profile
    • Porplemontage Enterprises
« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2013, 09:16:00 PM »
Right now we're just disallowing uploads of entire soundtracks or having media on soundtrack pages. We were going to clip the songs, but since none of the other soundtrack pages have media, we might as well just delete them and be consistent there. Music from games is still allowed as it was before, but there's no need to upload an entire soundtrack just for the sake of having it.
Steve

Time Turner

• The Fallen Child
  • Celestial Guide
  • You are filled with determination. (R/GD/TT)
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2013, 04:26:47 PM »
A large amount of articles were moved from having their game title as an identifier to simply having a generic (character) or (place). Is this a change in the policy?

Hobbes

• Wiki Administrator
  • Core 'Shroom Staff
  • Star Spirit
  • tucayo
  • Poll Committee Vice-Chairman
    • View Profile
    • The 'Shroom
« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2013, 04:35:40 PM »
As seen in the Naming Policy, the type of thing should take precedence before the name of the game as identifier.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 05:49:12 PM by Hobbes »

porplemontage

• Wiki Proprietor
  • Piranha Plant
    • View Profile
    • Porplemontage Enterprises
« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2013, 05:21:06 PM »
Yeah, that policy was established back in February but was never really implemented. I have begun said implementation.
Steve

Time Turner

• The Fallen Child
  • Celestial Guide
  • You are filled with determination. (R/GD/TT)
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2013, 09:38:39 PM »
To be honest, I kinda prefer having the game names as the identifier, but there's not really much reason for doing that other than "I like it".

Ray Trace

• Yeah, hahaha, a little bit more hand sanitizer and we wouldn't be in this mess.
  • Mushroom Attendant
  • Baby Luigi
  • 🇷🇺 Малыш Луиджи 🇷🇺 – сырная бл🧀🧀🧀 Тарелка!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2013, 11:39:50 PM »
"Don't Shoot Your Foot" off? Kinda ridiculous sounding for a policy but I'm ok with ridiculous sounding stuff. Good idea making that so users can't get away with doing obviously stupid things.
RIP B. "Walkazo" Dalziel. December 16, 1991 to March 27, 2016.

Shokora

• Retired Wiki Staff
  • Dry Bowser
  • L'esclavage D'amour
    • View Profile
    • PidgiWiki
« Reply #38 on: October 30, 2013, 05:51:48 AM »
"Don't Shoot Your Foot" off? Kinda ridiculous sounding for a policy but I'm ok with ridiculous sounding stuff. Good idea making that so users can't get away with doing obviously stupid things.
Yeah, "don't shoot your foot off" is used in the context of stating something that we don't actually need to tell people.

So officially, MarioWiki:Don't Shoot Your Foot Off is a new policy which fills the smaller gaps in other policies with an overall statement of "if most people see it as unreasonable, it doesn't need to be written down in policy to not be allowed". Rather than listing every single thing users can't do.

Walkazo

• Dragon Lady
  • Wiki Bureaucrat
  • Shine Sprite
  • Thou liest!
    • View Profile
    • Fanfiction.net
« Reply #39 on: October 30, 2013, 11:54:43 AM »
It's not so much a policy as a disclaimer that gives us official grounds to put an end to nonsense that no specific policy page addresses due to the fact that it's so obviously ridiculous we didn't think we needed to say "don't do this". The point isn't to go around saying "hey, you're being unreasonable so by the power of MW:FOOT, I order you to stop", but rather, to bring it out if someone decides to be clever and retort with "but there's no rule against it" after you appealed to their better nature - and ONLY if it's absolutely clear they're being ridiculous, otherwise it could turn into a "because I say so" situation, which is even worse. (Ideally, you'll actually have more than one person weighing in, which is how admins have always dealt with these "this is crazy" situations: we discuss it amongst ourselves.)

Of course, in a perfect world we wouldn't ever have to refer people to the page, which is why it's got such an eye-grabbing title: we want everyone to be aware that "no rule against it =/= not a bad idea" right from the start.