Collab: Level Articles

oh geez this is going to be huge ; i say we sticky this

also i'll help

EDIT: i've created world 2-1

I meant to make a thread about this a while back with a ridiculously huge list of levels that need to be created and etc, but my college workload killed it.

Anyway, here's a basic template for categories and sections that the overwhelming majority of level articles is going to have:

{{level
|title=
|image|game=''[[]]''
|notes=
|before=[[ |<<]]
|after=[[ |>>]]
}}

==Overview==

==Star Coins/Star Medals/Dragon Coins/whathaveyou==

==Special Areas==
(if applicable)

==Exits==
If the level has more than one exit.

[[Category:Places]]
[[Category:Levels]]

oh geez this is going to be huge ; i say we sticky this

That's right.

What about levels with A, B, C and forks in the overworld? Like, there's one path to go to x-3 but another that goes to x-A?

LuigiChief said:
What about the worlds that have icons?

It's worked-up in the policy that the page titles will be 1-Castle, 1-Cannon, etc. We could do a disclaimer or something at the top of the page that the title is actually the image thing.

porplemontage said:
LuigiChief said:

It's worked-up in the policy that the page titles will be 1-Castle, 1-Cannon, etc. We could do a disclaimer or something at the top of the page that the title is actually the image thing.
I did a test with {{DISPLAYTITLE}} and {{world}} yesterday. It failed.

Lakituthequick said:
porplemontage said:
LuigiChief said:

I did a test with {{DISPLAYTITLE}} and {{world}} yesterday. It failed.

Something like this is possible, but it's not our highest priority right now.

porplemontage said:
LuigiChief said:

Couldn't you do it as 1-[[image]] in the opening paragraph?

Butterscotch Surprise said:
porplemontage said:
LuigiChief said:

Couldn't you do it as 1-[[image]] in the opening paragraph?
We already do on a lot of them.

The new format is great. Perfect for when you have the level in mind but don't remember which letter/number it is.

Right now I'm doing some speed-splitting to move this along. To do: follow-up with proper formatting.

thing is i'm not a sysop or 'crat so i can't split nearly as fast as them

porplemontage said:
The new format is great. Perfect for when you have the level in mind but don't remember which letter/number it is.
Thanks, I'll add it to the other worlds after I finish cleaning up the articles themselves.

I like the new format for the world pages.

I've added the template to World 2. For now, I have to go to school in a few minutes, so I won't have enough time to add it to World Mushroom. I'll probably be able to add the template when I come back, though.

A lot of these artiles are messed up and need to be fixed.

Yes, and these articles should remain a focus for a while. I might not have time to do another large split-job for some time anyway.

Let's make sure we have screenshot for all the infoboxes, including rainbow courses. A gallery of star coin locations for each level would be great.

The new template is now up for World Mushroom and World 3. I am now going to focus on getting images for levels that don't have them - I'll work on World 4 later.

When making level and world pages, remember to include both the level directory (i.e. Template:NSMB2 Levels) and the overall navigation template for the game (i.e. Template:NSMB2). The directory goes above the general nav template. (All this is in accordance with the Nav Template Policy (MarioWiki:Navigation Templates) - in particular, the fourth paragraph of this section (MarioWiki:Navigation_Templates#Game-Specific_Templates).) Also, while nav templates are usually "expandable" (i.e. collapsed by default), I think making the level directories "collapsible" like "NSMB2 Levels" is better, since it makes navigating the levels and worlds a bit faster, and with only two templates per page, it's not like we need to save space.

In addition, most level pages should only have one category - the game-specific level category (i.e. Category:New Super Mario Bros. 2 Levels). The world pages get game-specific world categories (i.e. Category:New Super Mario Bros. 2 Worlds). Both these categories are themselves part of the overall game category, which, therefore, doesn't need to go on the articles directly; the pages also shouldn't get the overall Category:Levels or Category:Worlds categories (again, the game-specific categories are the ones that re put into these categories, rather than the articles themselves). This avoids cluttering up the generalized categories, making them easier to use; it's also in accordance with the Categorization Policy (MarioWiki:Categories).

The world articles also get categories about their environment, if applicable (i.e. World 1 (New Super Mario Bros. 2) is in Category:Grasslands), but for the most part, I've found that the specific level articles aren't given these categories. This makes sense since the worlds are essentially speaking for their levels in these situations, so not categorizing the levels avoids redundancy and cuts down on clutter. I suppose the exception to this would be when you have levels that are different from the overall world (for example, NSMB2's World Star levels could all get environmental categories since they're all unique; the original SMB's 1-2 would be a "Subterranean Area (Category:Subterranean Areas)" while the rest of the world wouldn't get any category, since it's just a generic setting; and SMW would have lots of its levels being specifically categorized).

In summary (using NSMB2 as an example), world articles get this:

{{BoxTop}}
{{NSMB2 Levels}}
{{NSMB2}}
[[Category:<environment>]] (if applicable)
[[Category:New Super Mario Bros. 2 Worlds]]

And level articles get this:

{{BoxTop}}
{{NSMB2 Levels}}
{{NSMB2}}
[[Category:<unique environment>]] (if applicable)
[[Category:New Super Mario Bros. 2 Levels]]

The policy mentioned in the OP has been extended to Mario Kart tracks and reasonably different, differently named rereleases (ie: Super Mario Advance), fyi.

Mostly World 5 and 6 articles need to be fixed. I may take on the task as I now own the game.

Should I start splitting NSMBW levels, all levels in that game at least have something written down.

Double post but we are losing good info on NSMBW articles of course this is going to be a long project so please help out.

Also I would like the NSMB2 articles that have next to no info to be moved away from mainspace.

Back