Author Topic: Suggestions for Next Year  (Read 18515 times)

Hobbes

• Wiki Administrator
  • Core 'Shroom Staff
  • Star Spirit
  • tucayo
  • Poll Committee Vice-Chairman
    • View Profile
    • The 'Shroom
Re: Suggestions for Next Year
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2012, 10:46:12 PM »
SMB, you forget many of our readers are guests.

Super Mario Bros.

• Retired Wiki Staff
  • Core 'Shroom Staff
  • Shine Sprite
  • Oh boy! Haha!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2012, 10:48:10 PM »
Then at that point perhaps just host it on The 'Shroom for a month on a special 'Shroom namespace page linked to in the Director's Notes and the 'Shroomfooter. It needs to be more private than it currently is, however.

SMB artwork by Edofenrir.

Hobbes

• Wiki Administrator
  • Core 'Shroom Staff
  • Star Spirit
  • tucayo
    • View Profile
    • The 'Shroom
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2012, 10:49:50 PM »
Then at that point perhaps just host it on The 'Shroom for a month on a special 'Shroom namespace page linked to in the Director's Notes and the 'Shroomfooter. It needs to be more private than it currently is, however.
Yes, that's kinda what I suggested

Northern Verve

• Princess of Magic
  • Star Spirit
  • SonicMario
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2012, 10:49:56 PM »
I think we should restrict 'Shroom and Userpedia Awards voting to members of this community in general. Restricting them to just the respective venues is a little too drastic for my taste, but I've never really been for the artificial increase of votes. As I said in my previous post, it erodes the integrity and honesty of the results for the community awards.

I believe public voting for the Userpedia and 'Shroom Awards simply allows outsiders and guests who may not have an understanding of the inner-workings of our community to make uninformed choices and to be the ones to determine who "deserves" the honor. The whole point is for our community to celebrate each other, therefore, the community should be the one group that participates in these awards.

Of course Mario and Fail should still go by public voting. But since the question has been raised, that is my opinion for Userpedia and 'Shroom.

I'm all for this.

Super Mario Bros.

• Retired Wiki Staff
  • Core 'Shroom Staff
  • Shine Sprite
  • Oh boy! Haha!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2012, 10:50:37 PM »
]
Yes, that's kinda what I suggested
Well that's cool. Glad we agree, then! :)

SMB artwork by Edofenrir.

Gamefreak75

• Global Moderator
  • Power Star
  • "The hated boss who beats you down..."
    • View Profile
    • Kirby Wikia
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2012, 10:56:02 PM »
I think we should restrict 'Shroom and Userpedia Awards voting to members of this community in general. Restricting them to just the respective venues is a little too drastic for my taste, but I've never really been for the artificial increase of votes. As I said in my previous post, it erodes the integrity and honesty of the results for the community awards.

I believe public voting for the Userpedia and 'Shroom Awards simply allows outsiders and guests who may not have an understanding of the inner-workings of our community to make uninformed choices and to be the ones to determine who "deserves" the honor. The whole point is for our community to celebrate each other, therefore, the community should be the one group that participates in these awards.

Of course Mario and Fail should still go by public voting. But since the question has been raised, that is my opinion for Userpedia and 'Shroom.

I'm all for this.
As am I. Like some people here and in chat said, a lot of the users probably voted for the ones with the coolest sounding (i.e. General Bob-omb) or most "Mario" name (i.e. New Super Mario). No offense to either of you.

BMB

• Celestial Guide
  • Baby Mario Bloops
  • BMB
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2012, 11:20:23 PM »
I think there should be a brief description of each option in a poll in the 'Shroom or on a topic here so that some of the users that do visit the forums and don't read the 'Shroom or know about Userpedia. Well, if we did it in the 'Shroom for people that don't read the 'Shroom, that would be a problem, but I'm digressing. It might also help steer the votes so that it's not based on how the name looks.

Ralph

• Peese shut mouf
  • Donkey Kong
  • ralphfan
  • Thank you based god
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2012, 11:59:06 PM »
I'm gonna change my name to Super Mario Galaxy and win everything!

There are a few other things I feel need to maybe not be changed, but at least examined:

Distribution of awards.
Yes, you knew this was coming.  First off, I'm not going to make a big stink out of this and I'm not going to take it so seriously because it's not worth losing sleep over.  I don't think we need to have 10 Userpedia Awards and 10 'Shroom Awards.  There are some categories in there that I just don't feel are very necessary to have, like Favorite (insert sub-team here) writer.  With the idea of voting being limited for UP and 'Shroom, I was thinking maybe those shows could be hosted separately.  The 'Shroom Staff could probably put a different spin on the awards show if they did the awards ceremony in the form of an issue.  Various awards could be voted on by either the readers, writers or Core Staff.  They could even do a mix of the three with various types of awards.  I think hosting the 'Shroom Awards with the rest of the show is almost holding it back.  If the 'Shroom Awards were presented in the form of an issue, we'd remove the limitations of five minutes between presentations, uninformed voters and open up all sorts of new forms that presentations could be submitted in.

As for Userpedia, they might be able to host their own awards as part of UP's anniversary in June.  It seems to me that we have UP's own set of dedicated users, but with the polls and ceremony for Userpedia being held here, we also have some uninformed voters.

I'm not saying these changes have to be made, though.  We seem to be fine at six hours and 60 awards, but we can't go any further than that, and there is no way we should make the ceremony last multiple days.  I think giving UP and 'Shroom more autonomy would simply remove some of the limitations and the uninformed voters.

I'm surprised at how well the idea of 25 Mario and 15 Fail went.  It removed some of the useless categories that get the same results every year and the redundancy of some of the awards with a limited amount of nominees (like having both Worst and Best Koopaling.  Maybe next year instead we'll have Favorite Koopaling and try a Fail edition of something else.

Ceremony length.
I just want to address this in saying that six hours is as long as we should go.  I think that fewer than 60 awards would allow for more time to be given to some of these presentations.  At times, I felt like things were really rushed but of course, these presentations can be read again and again.  It's not a big deal.

Layout of meetings.
I feel that at times, meetings this year were a bit rushed and we sort of went through things at an unnecessary speed.  I thing sometimes we went to voting for nominees on the AC board a bit too quickly.  I feel that there's a lot more that can come out of discussion than just pressing a vote button on a poll.  I do like going to a forum vote when a discussion just drags on or if voting in a meeting will take too long, but I feel that allowing that discussion in chat with everyone there at once allows for ideas to be produced quickly.

Result sheets.
This is nobody's fault other than Google for making GoogleDocs into a poor man's version of Word.  GoogleDocs now doesn't allow for HTML and CSS formatting and screws up tables, and what did the result sheets rely on?  All three of these things!  I'd love to have the fancy result sheets with the ornate backgrounds back next year.  Hopefully someone can provide a good place for that between now and next year's show.

Spreading of information.
This year, 60% of Main Page poll respondents didn't know what the awards were, down from 78% last year.  I'd suggest promoting everything from meetings to voting to the events and ceremony on the Main Page.  Look at a major event, like the Olympics.  Advertisements started months in advance.  I feel that if we really push the idea of the Awards for a long time it will really raise awareness of the event.

With all of that said, I'd like to thank Turb and this year's AC for putting on a great show.  You guys were able to pull everything together and things went off without a hitch, and we broke a ton of records in traffic and voting this year.  Nice job to the director, committee, event hosts and presenters.

Anton

• Froppy
  • #mwchat Admin
  • Star Spirit
  • Hypnotoad
  • kero?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2012, 12:18:23 AM »
The shows will not be held separately at all.  This event is about bringing the community together, not shoving them to their own corners.  As for length and time, I thought it was fantastic and personally didn't feel like it was rushed.  There were a few moments where I fell behind, but nothing enough to warrant a decrease in awards.  60 awards is a good amount.

And also, I agree that there could be some more advertising and information thingies done to raise awareness of the polls and who/what the nominees are.  Well, I pretty much agree with everything you said, other than the separate ceremonies, to a good extent.  I'll keep an eye out for something to replace googledocs.

Hobbes

• Wiki Administrator
  • Core 'Shroom Staff
  • Star Spirit
  • tucayo
    • View Profile
    • The 'Shroom
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2012, 12:22:30 AM »
I, and I am sure the rest of the Core Staff backs me up, firmly oppose your first suggestion, Ralph.

Ralph

• Peese shut mouf
  • Donkey Kong
  • ralphfan
  • Thank you based god
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2012, 12:28:13 AM »
OK.  It was just an idea.

Crocodile Dippy

• Toxic Shock Syndrome
  • Retired Wiki Staff
  • Star Spirit
  • Pokemon DP
  • God I'm good at being an owl
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2012, 12:38:52 AM »
for the record, I'm keeping track of as many 'Shroom changes, events, records, and whatnot so we can have more variety in the categories, so don't you dare reduce the categories. It was kind of messy this year because of a certain someone arguing to death with us at the start of the anniversary plannings, not going to name anyone in particular~
Rest in peace, Walkazo.

Noisemaster

• It's ya boy ERNEST CLINE comin' up on you DEAD from READY PLAYER ONE!
  • Global Moderator
  • Celestial Guide
  • MrConcreteDonkey
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2012, 07:48:44 AM »
I agree with most of the stuff said in this thread - there are some things I oppose, but there are quite a few good ideas here.

Boosette

• Also known as me
  • Global Moderator
  • Mushroom Princess
  • Smasher
  • Rest in peace, Walkazo
    • View Profile
    • Smasher Land
« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2012, 07:54:43 AM »
I support SMB's suggestion, though I have to oppose Ralph's first suggestion.

Lakituthequick

• with lowercase T and Q
  • Awards Committee
  • Celestial Guide
  • Rest in Peace, Walkazo 😢
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2012, 08:11:28 AM »
60% of the wiki visitors didn't know what the awards were. Change that.

And what Perch said.
Yes. I bet a large amount of voters were seven year old guests.
Well to be fair guests don't see the site notice and some might not care about the polls.
This may help:
2. If the user is anonymous, MediaWiki:Anonnotice is displayed (if defined).

Mariomario64

• I have returned
  • Shine Sprite
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2012, 08:18:49 AM »
This may help:
MediaWiki:Anonnotice on the Mario Wiki was deleted 5 years ago
eeeeee

Nabber

• Mushroom Attendant
  • nabber
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2012, 08:19:17 AM »
MAKE THE TRIFECTAS LESS RIGGED

Oh and possibly put links in the OPs of each topic for each presentation. It would make it much easier to review the ceremony than to have to sift through each page.

Lakituthequick

• with lowercase T and Q
  • Awards Committee
  • Celestial Guide
  • Rest in Peace, Walkazo 😢
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2012, 08:20:45 AM »
This may help:
says that page was deleted 5 years ago
You mean MediaWiki:Anonnotice? Thats right. But on recreation it will appear as sitenotice for guests.

New Super Mario

• NSM
  • Celestial Guide
  • Ghirahim
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2012, 08:36:08 AM »
There were too many newbie results this year if you know what I'm saying.

Userpedia should be moved to Userpedia to prevent people who DON"T EVEN VISIT THE SITE to vote. I don't think New Sherlock Mario deserves number one. Seriously guys.

I'm sick of seeing crap games like Super Mario Galaxy 2 win titles that other games deserve. Obviously, not much can be done about it though.....

Crocodile Dippy

• Toxic Shock Syndrome
  • Retired Wiki Staff
  • Star Spirit
  • Pokemon DP
  • God I'm good at being an owl
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2012, 08:46:35 AM »
I suggested some things to turboo earlier but she never responded, so here

>Have a collaboration between the 'Shroom and the Awards Committee to have special sections in the months leading up to the voting period that explain the nominations for the 'Shroom and Userpedia awards, obviously providing links so people can get more information; something like MG1's, Smasher's, and Tucayo's presentations this year. It's not much, but it could help educate people who don't know where to start with researching the community's history.
>Start the meetings earlier so we get things done faster, and have a wider gap for the voting period.
>Refine the Anniconomy so that we don't have another TF2 tournament token disaster.
>>to that end, have someone go over all the tournaments to ensure token distribution and the challenges and stuff are fair and balanced

oh also there'll be an Awards Committee Director Election this year, so yeah
« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 08:48:42 AM by Chihiro Fujisaki »
Rest in peace, Walkazo.