Author Topic: Unpopular opinions about the Mario series  (Read 514777 times)

Re: Unpopular opinions about the Mario series
« Reply #7420 on: January 09, 2019, 12:29:58 PM »
I never even noticed the sign. Wow.
Maybe that's what inspired the Peach intermissions in the first two Paper Marios?

I feel I'm one of the few people who has Kamek's Tantalizing Tower as one of their favorite boards in the Mario Party series, and its also my favorite one in Super Mario Party
I haven't played Super Mario Party, but the gimmick seems like the spawn of DK's Stone Statue/that one board from 6 and Pangoda Peak.
Just looking at it, I don't see anything bad.
"It is a sky. It is a completely sky." - A line from the masterpiece of the century that is Vroom in The Night Sky.

Forde

• Chill cavalier who just likes paintings, sleeping and apparently speaks to himself a lot. That's definitely not Koops.
  • Shine Sprite
  • Koops
  • Look at Seth! He's soloing the game again!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7421 on: January 09, 2019, 12:36:03 PM »
It ain't bad.

But you know people... they're picky. So annoyingly picky...

Sure sucks to be very easy-going, doesn't it?

Wait people don't like Kamek's tower?

I mean, this is a game where none of the boards are bad, so I'm thankful.

Princess Mario

• Mushroom Kingdom's Most 🦄Fabulous🦄 Wario Killer
  • Donkey Kong
  • LeftyGreenMario
  • R.I.P. Walkazo December 16, 1991 - March 27, 2016
    • View Profile
    • RationalWiki
« Reply #7422 on: January 09, 2019, 03:08:29 PM »
Hey, she uses them from time to time.
And I know we use the axe and bridge as immediate examples of Bowser's stellar arena design, can you look me straight in the eye and justify the arenas and mines from Super Mario 64?
Bowser bought those from Home Depot and thought those mines looked freaking badass, but without realizing that they were explosive. After the first fight, he called Home Depot to remove them, but the cost of bomb removal was way too much, so he just left them there.

Nevertheless, Mario just did the equivalent of shooting a bad guy hunter's deer trophy piece and having the thing fall and crack the bad guy hunter's skull.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 03:11:12 PM by Mario Party X »

Zuko

• The new Fire Lord
  • Dry Bowser
  • The Shadow Prince
  • I'm never happy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7423 on: January 10, 2019, 08:52:10 AM »
On a matter of personal enjoyment I'd put Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam a step ahead of Dream Team and Partners in Time, maybe the other two games were a bit better objectively but with Paper Jam there were a lot of little things that made me enjoy the game more, like how there were coins hidden everywhere and that you could fast-forward the cutscenes so you didn't spend more time on them than the actual game.

winstein

• Power Star
  • Justice is not limited, it is a universal quality
    • View Profile
« Reply #7424 on: January 11, 2019, 12:09:55 AM »
I would love Yarn Miis to take part in the levels, like these:

They ended up just taking up spots on the map to say something from Miiverse, but I would love some Yarn Miis. Unfortunately it's for the best that they aren't playable as many a Mario fan would probably be upset with this decision.

Thank you for reading.
(Credit goes to Alex95 for this signature)

J-Yoshi64

• Just Call Me J
  • Dry Bowser
  • Always remembering Walkazo
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #7425 on: January 11, 2019, 11:34:58 PM »
I also like Miis in Mario games.
May Walkazo always be remembered on MarioWiki for years to come.
Follow me because I'm not a narcissist: https://twitter.com/JYoshi64 https://www.deviantart.com/just-call-me-j

CamTro

• - Deaf - Bowser Jr Fan -
  • Koopa Troopa
  • Just a deaf guy who's big fan of Bowser Jr.
    • View Profile
    • justcamtro - twitter
« Reply #7426 on: January 14, 2019, 03:55:58 PM »

They ended up just taking up spots on the map to say something from Miiverse, but I would love some Yarn Miis. Unfortunately it's for the best that they aren't playable as many a Mario fan would probably be upset with this decision.

Thank you for reading.
Whaaaaaaaaaat?! I dont know Yarn Miis existed!

Bandana Waddle Dee

• The Legend of Dee
  • Shine Sprite
  • YoshiFlutterJump
    • View Profile
« Reply #7427 on: January 14, 2019, 04:20:57 PM »

Thank you for reading.
Whaaaaaaaaaat?! I dont know Yarn Miis existed!
They're in the Wii U version of Yoshi's Woolly World, but you had to manually activate them via the options menu.  They don't appear anymore, now that Miiverse is dead.

Princess Mario

• Donkey Kong
  • LeftyGreenMario
    • View Profile
    • RationalWiki
« Reply #7428 on: January 14, 2019, 05:13:42 PM »
They look as creepy as ever

Forde

• Chill cavalier who just likes paintings, sleeping and apparently speaks to himself a lot. That's definitely not Koops.
  • Shine Sprite
  • Koops
    • View Profile
« Reply #7429 on: January 15, 2019, 11:17:57 AM »
Playable?

You ain't giving these guys a Yoshi moveset, nope!

Erdrick the Hero

• Gotta love that Dragon Quest series right? Favorite series that I've totally played probably.
  • King Bowser
  • Moldomré
  • The local Pink Yoshi Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
    • Planet Minecraft Profile
« Reply #7430 on: January 16, 2019, 09:34:49 AM »
Playable?

You ain't giving these guys a Yoshi moveset, nope!

Miis acting like Yoshis...

*nope intensifies*

Princess Mario

• Donkey Kong
  • LeftyGreenMario
    • View Profile
    • RationalWiki
« Reply #7431 on: January 16, 2019, 01:38:56 PM »
It wouldn't be much of a difference because both are capable of some of the worst noises known to Shroomkind.

Erdrick the Hero

• Gotta love that Dragon Quest series right? Favorite series that I've totally played probably.
  • King Bowser
  • Moldomré
  • The local Pink Yoshi Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
    • Planet Minecraft Profile
« Reply #7432 on: January 18, 2019, 09:19:18 AM »
It wouldn't be much of a difference because both are capable of some of the worst noises known to Shroomkind.

*nope intensifies*

Forde

• Shine Sprite
  • Koops
    • View Profile
« Reply #7433 on: January 18, 2019, 10:50:13 AM »
Noises don't make you who you are, LGM.

Which in this situation is a bad fact to bring up.

王馬 小吉

• It's a lie! Nee-heehee! (Artwork by @phantomorrow)
  • Shy Guy
  • ルイージ
  • bro hug collector and local Dream Team stan
    • View Profile
    • Writing Tumblr
« Reply #7434 on: January 18, 2019, 04:59:14 PM »
Peach is not completely useless.

I am honest with it. Peach may look like a *bleep* character most of the time, but she's not all that *bleep* once you consider SMB2USA, Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars, her own game, Super Mario 3D World, Super Mario Run, and Mario + Rabbids into consideration. Her floating in SMB2 along with her slight slowness makes World 4 in SMB2 a complete non-issue. Man are Ice Levels difficult without Peach. She makes those a complete non-issue as well. She should get some love for that.
I mean yeah she appears to be defenseless and doesn't do much outside of baking cakes, and getting kidnapped. But when she's playable she's awesome. She's not all that bad. Granted I am tired of Peach being depicted as a mostly useless character 90% of the time and I want Nintendo to have her be playable and get better security. I also want Peach to be able to fight more often like she does in her own game and Super Mario 3D World, that would be a way to not make her look completely useless and even let people like her more. I mean a lot of people love to hate Peach as character for this reason and say she sucks and that her looks are the only good things about her.

Here's my unpopular take on this opinion: why does Peach need to be super combative to be considered useful?

She has something really cool going for her that other characters don't, which is her purity, her connection to the stars, and magic that she's clearly able to wield that other characters cannot. It would be interesting if, instead of simply making her have the same moveset as everyone else + float, that got explored in some way. Super Princess Peach attempted this, but mainly relied on the cliché to diversify her moveset rather than focusing on her star connection. Hell, what would be interesting for Peach is actually what Mario + Rabbids did to her, which was make her a healing tank. Granted, I wouldn't say that was her most useful appearance; Luigi is more useful than her in 90% of situations and thus I barely use her (you can't use both in one team, unfortunately; if you could, that would make Peach's utility skyrocket as she is undeniably the best healer in the game), but I think it certainly could at least give her a sort of identity, and one that would set her apart from Daisy as well (who's more of a brutish hard-hitter), since Rosalina has gotten enough combative diversifying treatment of her own.

I think that's my central problem with Peach. I don't mind her getting kidnapped, if I'm honest with you. My problem lies in the fact that Peach as of now doesn't really get much of an identity outside of being a dainty princess, and the few times she does, it's to emphasize her 'secret temper' as if we haven't seen that a million times (cough Super Princess Peach). This is probably what leads to people growing tired of her perceived 'uselessness'; it's not that she actually is, it's that she really doesn't stand out next to the other two princesses who have a really clear identity going on with their personalities and abilities.

Leo Luster

• You're gonna stop because that's what you do when you're faced with an irresistible force
  • King Bowser
  • Shy Guy on Wheels
  • And irresistible is what I am baby
    • View Profile
« Reply #7435 on: January 18, 2019, 05:11:12 PM »
The problem with her "Star Powers" and Magic is that they are more Fanon then anything else. They're often used in one game for plot convenience before being thrown away, yet fans cling onto this stuff as if it's an all important defining trait of the character when it really isn't. Her uselessness comes from the fact that most of this stuff just isn't important enough to people who aren't super hardcore fans of the Mario series, and I think fans just need to let go of some minor detail that rarely ever gets referenced.

Ray Trace

• Yeah, hahaha, a little bit more hand sanitizer and we wouldn't be in this mess.
  • Mushroom Attendant
  • Baby Luigi
  • 🇷🇺 Малыш Луиджи 🇷🇺 – сырная бл🧀🧀🧀 Тарелка!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7436 on: January 18, 2019, 05:48:44 PM »
Here's my unpopular take on this opinion: why does Peach need to be super combative to be considered useful?

I think because outside of physical utility, Mario characters in general don't have defining qualities, hence why that's a barometer for Peach's usefulness. You're not going to see Peach influence Mario's emotional developments in the storyline.
RIP B. "Walkazo" Dalziel. December 16, 1991 to March 27, 2016.

Princess Mario

• Donkey Kong
  • LeftyGreenMario
    • View Profile
    • RationalWiki
« Reply #7437 on: January 18, 2019, 09:46:57 PM »
But in Super Princess Peach, note that everyone has emotional powers, not just Peach, and Peach is the one who can actually control them. So in a way, it's a nice spin on the sexist cliche of emotional women.

Mcmadness

• Power Star
  • The idiot who puts things in the wrong board.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7438 on: January 18, 2019, 10:09:04 PM »
she really doesn't stand out next to the other two princesses who have a really clear identity going on with their personalities and abilities.

Rosalina I get but Daisy? Daisy's got even less going on for her than Peach does.
Thank you for taking the time to read this sig. This sig loves you.

Saltman

• King Bowser
  • Mr. Saltman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7439 on: January 19, 2019, 10:22:17 AM »
Whenever people say Waluigi is a Wario/Luigi clone or that he has nothing going on for him, I look at Daisy.