Wander Over Yonder (from PPG and Foster's creator)

Smashgoom202

Dry Bowser
Retired Wiki Staff

Okay, so here's how this happened. I was reading this article on Lauren Faust (yeah yeah, I know what you're thinking, just bear with me here) when I read something particular...

http://blogs.laweekly.com/arts/2012/05/lauren_faust_people_2012.php?page=2

Faust is working as a co-producer and head of story on the upcoming Disney series Wander Over Yonder, created by her husband, Craig McCracken. The two met while working on The Powerpuff Girls, which McCracken also created; the pair worked together on Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends, too.

I literally did a double take when I read that... For those of you who don't know, Lauren Faust is the wife of Craig McCracken, creator of The Powerpuff Girls and Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends. I would occasionally visit his devientART account here:

http://cmcc.deviantart.com/

He also has a website, but for whatever reason, the link's not working for me... I'll post it anyway:

http://craigmccracken.net/

A while back, while visiting his deviantART account, I saw sketches and drawing for this thing called "Wander Over Yonder", about a nomadic hippie "Muppet Man" traveling the land and such. It's kind of a pet project, similar to Lauren Faust's Milky Way and the Galaxy Girls (which you should TOTALLY support). I thought it was a comic book or something at the time, but after reading that little bit, I decided to check another source, and sure enough, it IS going to be a TV series, produced by Disney:

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/03/13/wander-over-yonder-coming-to-tv-the-new-project-from-powerpuff-creator-craig-mccracken/

I have yet to find out if it will be on the Disney channel or another one of the channels Disney owns and commands... either way, if it DOES debut on the Disney Channel, it will be the first time in over a DECADE in which I will willingly watch something on that channel!

After all, we're talking about the same guy who created such classic Cartoon Network originals, AND his wife who also worked on those shows is co-producer and head of story! Not to mention, Jack McBrayer (Irving from Phineas and Ferb) and Tom Kenny (Spongbob Squarepants, among many others) are on the voice cast, so obviously there's some talent involved in this. I'll be sure to keep a look-out for more info, when I can!

Re: Wander Over Yonder (PPG and Foster's creator new show)

And to think that this probably wouldn't have happened if Stuart Snyder (Newest President of Cartoon Network) didn't kick out Faust and McCracken to make room for those live-action shows.

This sounds interesting

Comic Con sneak peak! :D

I can tell, just by this one clip... Yep, it's Craig McCracken's baby. ;)

Funny, I've been hearing good things about another Disney Channel cartoon called Gravity Falls, created by a writer from another Disney Channel show, Cool Fish, and a Cartoon Network favorite of mine, The Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack. I heard it's been called a cartoony mix between The X Files and Twin Peaks, or something along those lines...

Anyway, even though there's little to no information about this show, I still have faith in it, simply by virtue of being a Craig McCracken original, and he hasn't disappointed me yet.

I think Disney Channel might be making a nice turn around...

Finally, something worthy of interest on Disney Channel. I think it's sad how everyone wants to focus on live-action for tv shows

Magikrazy said:
The hat reminds me of the one Mr. Greenhooves wears.
That was actually a direct inspiration when they designed Mr. Greenhooves. To quote what art director Ridd Sorensen deviantART message:

Hayseed Pony [original name for Mr. Greenhooves] was one of my favorite designs for MLP:FiM last season. I think he was designed for episode 3 but his scene got cut.
Fun fact #1: His popcorn pipe was nixed by Standards & Practices. They made us change it to a blade of wheatgrass. It's too bad because we were going to have a little gag where while Hayseed was talking to Twilight, Spike was going to chow down on all the popcorn falling around them. Ah well. I think bubble pipes are okay though, so you may see a couple of those in an episode or two.
Fun fact #2: Hayseed's hat is a little nod to Craig McCracken's most excellent 'Wander Over Yonder' artwork. Check it out on his Deviant page and here: [link] - Hopefully you were one of the lucky ones like me to score a copy of the book!

The show is set to premiere Friday August 16, 2013 at 9:00 PM Eastern time (I think). Mark your calenders for that day!

Edit: They showed a clip from the first episode, entitled "The Picnic". The audio isn't that good, sorry in advance:

Plus here are two promos:

And apparently, August 16 ISN'T the premiere. It's just going to be a single, stand-alone episode to follow-up Phineas & Ferb: Marvel Mission, called "The Picnic". The ACTUAL premiere is going to be September 13 at 9:00 PM Eastern/8:00 PM Central, with the episodes "The Egg" and "The Greatest". I found this out here, where you can watch a behind-the-scenes talk with Jack McBrayer (Wander) and April Winchell (Sylvia):

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Exclusive-Disney-Channel-Wander-Over-Yonder-1068135.aspx

Incidentally, I also updated the original post, with a link to Craig McCracken's deviantART page, where I found that awesome poster!

Lastly, guess who finally made a Twitter account? :D

https://twitter.com/CrackMcCraigen

Edit2: Here's an HD version of the clip shown at Comic Con, from the episode that will air August 16:

Also, for the latest Wander Over Yonder news, check out this tumblr:

http://wandernews.claviger.net/

So a sneak peak of the series aired last night, titled "The Picnic", after Phineas and Ferb: Mission Marvel. Here's what I thought of it:

Honestly, I was KIND of worried that Wander would turn out to be ultra-annoying, though here, I can't bring myself to hate or be annoyed by Wander. I think it's the ultra-nice charm Jack McBrayer brings to any of his characters, in that I can't bring myself to be upset with him. There are a lot of other minor factors to consider for why Wander's annoying-ness doesn't bug me, such as the just the overall tone of the show, as well as the fact that Lord Hater is a good target for this kind of obliviousness. To use a relevant example with another eternally happy and constantly annoying character, whenever Pinkie Pie from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic got annoying, it was usually to otherwise nice characters, characters we can and usually are supposed to relate to, and their annoyance with Pinkie Pie is bound to translate onto the audience. Not so much here, because we don't want Lord Hater to succeed. Even though we haven't seen much of him, even if the name doesn't tip you off that he's a bad guy, his general attitude towards others around him, particularly with Peepers, shows that if he WERE to succeed in controlling the entire universe, it would be a rather miserable experience.

With that in mind, Wander unintentionally fighting back not with violence and words, but rather with his own oblivious niceness, is rather brilliant. Craig McCracken did say this show wouldn't be so much good-vs-evil so much as love-vs-hate.

What surprised me, though, was just how well animated this show really is. The parts with the slapstick antics with Wander and Hater were to be expected, but then there were the battle scenes... I guess it makes sense, seeing as Craig McCracken previously created an action-oriented cartoon, but it still blew me away all the same, particularly when Hater single-handedly kicked Emperor Awesome's entire army's ass! And then there was the actual summoning of the Celestial Star Being, it was almost outright breath-taking!

There were also a lot of nice subtle moments of hilarity, such as the Star Being smiling for all of Wander's pictures... I have to say, though, my favorite part was when Hater was distracted by Wander, and mumbling about how Wander just had to lift the hook-lock to open the picnic basket. He really SHOULDN'T be that distracted by that, nor be that invested on seeing whether or not Wander actually figures it out. It just comes off as so funny! The entire episode was hilarious from start to finish! One comment I read even said it feels much like a classic Looney Tunes cartoon, and I agree!

A new classic for the ages. Craig McCracken, you've proved yourself once again! ;)

I thought it already began.

It looks like there's just a few more days left.

I'm not too interested.

Here's a song that's going to be in one of the episodes this Friday:

I have to say, something like this PROBABLY won't convince those who didn't like Wander in "The Picnic" that he's any less annoying.

Also, I'm inviting some friends over, probably going to watch the premiere when it airs.

Bumping because Wander Over Yonder officially premiered last Friday. I saw it with a couple of friends of mine, and I eventually showed it to my mom and personal trainer (don't ask). The two episodes that aired, "The Greatest" and "The Egg", are available on iTunes, so you can go ahead and checked them out! When I got them, they happened to be free (though I went ahead an purchased a seasonal pass anyway); I don't know if this offer is still available, or if it's available anywhere outside the USA, though.

I'd like to take some time to talk about what I thought of the show, as well as some other things about the show. Apologies in advance for the super-duper, triple-extra-large post for those who are annoyed by that, and preemptive "screw you"s to anyone who feels the need to reply to this with a dumb "tl;dr". If you didn't read it, you don't need to respond to it!

But anyway, first of all, let me preface this by saying I saw the sneak peek titled "The Picnic" before I saw this, so I'll be making a lot of comparisons to this, particularly with...

The Greatest

I've seen people talk about The Picnic and think if it's a proper introduction to the series. For one thing, it does give us a typical scenario where Lord Hater is at odds with or has his galactic domination impeded by Wander, and it DOES let us know that it wasn't the first time Wander and Hater have met, the way Wander asks if Hater remembers him. In some ways, it IS a good introduction, or at the very least, a good episode for people who haven't watched the series before to get a good idea of what the series is like (thereby making it a perfect sneak peek). However, there is one fatal flaw with the episode as a good introduction, and it's that Sylvia was not present for the vast majority of the episode, and she's pretty much one of the central characters of the series alongside Wander.

By contrast, The Greatest (which, incidentally, is the first episode in the production line) is a more proper and perhaps the perfect introduction to the series, as not only does it feature all the main/major characters of the series (Wander, Sylvia, Lord Hater, and Peepers, the last of whom I'll get to later), but also gives the perfect story/plot to give you a general idea of what the series is about. The Picnic, while awesome, had a lot of action, fighting, and was focused more on Hater battling Emperor Awesome, which could be a possible regular scenario and is cool enough, but this episode plays out the way many have described the series: Lord Hater conquers a planet or is just generally hating, Wander gets involved, Hater gets "defeated" through Wander's carefree, super-nice attitude. As Craig McCracken put it, the series is less "good vs. evil" and more "love vs. hate", and this is emphasised not only through Wander besting Hater without actually fighting him, but also by the fact that the planet Wander inadvertently saves being the most over-the-top, sickeningly sweet kind of cutesy-poo aliens you can imagine.

In addition to being a good introduction to the series, there is also the vague implication that this is Wander and Hater's first ever encounter... or at the very least, this is the first time Wander and Hater have come face-to-face. Sylvia mentions that Lord Hater has conquered many planets, which just grinds her gears and makes her want to give him what-for (again, a good way to portray what kind of character she is, as opposed to Wander), so clearly they (or at least Sylvia) knew OF Hater, but here it feels like Wander hasn't encounter the Watchdogs, Peepers, or Hater before. Wander walks up to the Watchdog army, assuming they're the residents of the town he arrives at, and the way Wander acts and reacts to Peepers and Hater himself makes it seem like they've never formally met before. Compare this to The Picnic, wherein Wander immediately recognizes Lord Hater and asks if Hater remembers him. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if it turns out this was actually the case.

As to the actual episode itself, it was great! Perhaps not "the greatest" ironically enough, though we'll have to wait and see about that. Incidentally, this episode was partially written and directed by Craig McCracken himself. And while he did have a hand in writing and story-boarding "The Picnic", it was actually written and directed by different people (thought that episodes writer, Ben Joseph, co-wrote this episode along with McCracken himself). I bring this up because if there's one way to describe this episode, it's very... Craig McCracken-y. Like, it just REEKS with his style, in terms of facial expressions, fast-paced humor, certain angles, and just the overall look and style. I was actually SLIGHTLY taken aback by this, seeing as it had a bit of a contrast between The Picnic and it's overall look. The tone is still the same, but there are still quite a bit of differences, most of them being very subtle and hard to describe. One thing I can definitely note that took a while to get used to was the fact that lightning strikes and the screen flashes red and black whenever Lord Hater proclaims somethings. Now, I loved Lord Hater's monologuing and "evil hamminess" in The Picnic, in fact it's probably why he's my favorite character so far, but the lightning I felt was a bit much, and... kind of gave me a head-ache after a while. Not to mention, some of his poses were a bit more crude whenever the screen flashed, as opposed to how more detailed (well not "detailed" just... normal) he looked in The Picnic. Some of his expressions in this episode also reminded me of how Mojo Jojo looked at times... Not really a criticism, just something I noticed, particularly when he tries to sit in that tiny throne.

As I mentioned before, this episode is very fast-paced, though when I say that, it's mostly in terms of the visuals and not so much the dialogue (though the dialogue can get pretty fast depending on the scene). I feel like that's the best way to have comedy like this, though it could be disorienting to some (my mother liked the visuals, but couldn't keep up with how fast it got). Some jokes fly by so fast, some might not have even registered, though I personally find that adds to it's rewatchability.

Not sure what else to mention about this episode. Nothing else was particularly noteworthy to me, outside of certain moments, which I don't want to spoil for those who haven't seen it yet. I suppose I'll end this by saying it's a very solid episode and a great introduction to the series!

The Egg

Hey hey everypony, this episode was co-written by Lauren Faust! ;) Incidentally, Craig McCracken said that they're truly a team when it comes to this show. He said this is more about "love vs. hate" then "good vs. evil", and he has Lauren on board to make sure the series stays true to that. Basically, he says that she makes sure the show has heart, while he just tries to make it funny. This episode perfectly exemplifies that notion.

The plot goes that Sylvia is tries to fight off a giant black flying dragon creature, when Wander finds an egg, that apparently rolled down from it's nest at the top of a mountain. Assuming the egg is the dragon's egg, Wander encourages Sylvia to bring the egg back up to the mountain in the hopes that it will sooth the savage beast. Sylvia, of course, wants nothing to do with it, and would rather just kick the monster's butt then try to be nice, but reluctantly goes along with Wander's plan when she sees that he can't actually carry the egg himself.

That's all I'm going to say, because again, I don't want to spoil anything, but I WILL say that the ending is one of the most heartwarming things I've seen in recent years. My friend, who watched the episode with me when it premiered (but managed to see it beforehand) said it's basically about Sylvia combating what she wants to do versus what Wander wants to do, and that's true. I was also a bit nervous myself, because I actually saw a song that was in this episode before it aired:

And judging from that one song, I was nervous that Wander came off as an unintentional jerk by singing while Sylvia gets battered and beaten. Thankfully, in the context of the episode, it doesn't come off that way at all, and instead, it's more or less Sylvia who's to blame for her own misfortune, seeing as she wants to keep fighting the dragon, even though it isn't working and she keeps losing the fight. Sylvia also learns a bit of a lesson at the end, which is probably obvious but I still won't spoil it.

The episode is less fast-paced then "The Greatest", though still has that fast-paced style that's by now a signature of the series. It's probably at least as fact-paced as "The Picnic". The jokes aren't QUITE as funny as the other episodes, though it still has quite a few good ones! :lol:

If there's anything else worth mentioning about this episode, it's that it establishes the relationship between Wander and Sylvia. While The Greatest pretty much introduces the core cast and concept of the series, and The Picnic further solidifies Wander and Lord Hater's relationship, The Egg gives us a good look at what it's like to see Wander and Sylvia at odds with each other. While they're still friends, and heck even though Sylvia clearly would rather do things her way, she still helps out Wander regardless, it shows just how the two contrast and how one differs from the other. This was set-up in The Greatest, but here it's made more clear; Sylvia's gruff, she's a fighter, she'd rather lay the smack-down on someone then try to go for a non-violent solution, while Wander's a lover, not a fighter, he's eager to help but would rather settle things through THE POWER OF LOOOOOOVE!!! :P I personally love these kinds of ying-yang/two opposites dynamic. In a way, it almost reminds me of Finn and Jake from Adventure Time, though they don't have the same personalities, not to mention their differences are less pronounced... I could go on about that, but I need to stay focused. Anyway, another solid episode! Both of these episodes make up a great premiere!

Other Stuff

So I find it weird that I've become a fan of a show, AND am dedicatedly following a show since it's premiere. With most of my other favorite shows, I got into them after their premiere. It makes me feel proud, being one of the few who've been a fan "since the beginning" so-to-speak. Then again, the whole reason I was even interested in the show in the first place was because Craig McCracken was behind it... I was saying on forums how this'll be the first good show Disney Channel's had in years, even before it aired. This doesn't stand anymore in light of Gravity Falls and the new Mickey Mouse shorts, and I did feel a little nervous. Even though Craig's had a good track record, what IF this show wasn't as good as I was making it out to be... As soon as I saw The Picnic, though, those fears were laid to rest; this show is just as good, if not better, then I thought I would be!

I'd also like to take a minute to talk about Peepers. For those of you unaware, Peepers is Lord Hater's right-hand man, and commander of the Watchdog army. He's voice by Tom Kenny, Craig McCracken's "good luck charm", being the voice of the Mayor of Townsville and the Narrator in The Powerpuff Girls and Eduardo from Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends. Here's a scene prominently featuring him from The Picnic:

Peepers is interesting, in that he's specifically mentioned as a character back when the series was first announced alongside Wander, Sylvia, and Lord Hater. So he's basically one of the main characters, as I see it. Despite that, he doesn't seem to be getting that much attention, both from the media, and even the fans... There seems to be more fanart and attention given to Emperor Awesome, who so far as only appeared in one episode, and likely won't show up again (though who knows for sure)! I mean, I could totally see why he'd get more attention, he's just so... flamboyant. But, I digress. I sincerely how that at one point int he series, Peepers gets his own episode, or that there will be more focus on him in the future. I think there could be a lot of potential for him. After all, he seems to be more competent then Lord Hater in some regards, and yet despite that, is intensely loyal to him. SOMETIMES it's out of fear, yet other times it seems to be genuine admiration (such as when Lord Hater is total trashing Emperor Awesome's all by himself). Makes me wonder what he truly things of Lord Hater, or why he's following him... Or heck, how he became a commander, since he seems to be just like any of the numerous Watchdogs just with a different uniform. I'd also like to see more about his relationship with the other characters. Craig McCracken has gone on about how he loves cartoon characters who you can just take and put in any situation and that would be a good premise, and created this show with that mindset, focusing on the characters first and foremost. With that in mind, I wonder what his thoughts are on Peepers, and how he'd interact with Wander and Sylvia... Well, we've seen interactions, but not that much. I can't get a good grip on the relationship between Wander and Peepers, and the only thing I've seen from him and Sylvia is Sylvia beating him up in the opening. So yeah, possible idea for a future episode.

Speaking of future episodes, here are some upcoming episodes that I'd like to briefly touch on:

The Fugitives

Wander and Sylvia have become fugitives on a distant planet ruled by Lord Hater, but just as fast as Sylvia can concoct their escape plans, Wander inadvertently keeps foiling them by helping strangers in need.

http://tvlistings.zap2it.com/tv/wander-over-yonder-the-picnic-the-fugitives/EP017677440006

A preview for this episode was shown during the series premiere, but even before seeing it, I could tell EXACTLY how an episode like this would pan out... From the synopsis, Wander sounds like he's going to do EXACTLY what I would expect someone like him would do, same goes for Sylvia. It has me excited to see how the episode will actually pan out!

The Good Deed

When a series of Wander’s good deeds backfire, the free-spirited nomad sets out to make everything right.

http://wandernews.claviger.net/post/58610962837/episode-the-good-deed-title-air-date-disney-channel

Now THIS is an interesting concept. Heck, it pretty much flies in the face of the previous episode. Wander is, indeed, a do-gooder, and will likely stop and help people out, whether it's a good idea for him to do so or not. However, it is possible for Wander's good deeds to go wrong, and it'd be interesting to see how he'd react to something like that. In a way, this reminds me of the Adventure Time episode, "Memories of Boom Boom Mountain", wherein Finn tries to help out everyone he meets for personal reasons (basically, he made a boom boom when he was a baby and fell in it, and no one bothered to help him out then, so he wants to help out everyone he meets, so no one would ever have to feel that abandoned), only to find that doing certain good deeds flies in the face of want other people he's helping wants, so he's not sure what to do, or if he should even help them at all. It's probably one of the best episodes in the series. Perhaps this will be the same?

The Pet

Sylvia is heartbroken when she believes Wander considers her a pet rather than a friend, which gives Lord Hater the opportunity to use her strength against Wander.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2013/09/11/raini-rodriguez-and-calum-worthy-host-monstober-disney-channels-annual-month-long-halloween-celebration/202193/

Well I'll be damned, 3 straight episodes of awesome concepts I want to see done with this show. What has me about this episode concept is the fact that it touches on something that hasn't been that established that well in any previous episodes, namely what Sylvia's relationship is to Lord Hater and vice versa. I mean, we know Lord Hater ticks her off to the point of wanting to beat him up, but we haven't seen Lord Hater interact with Sylvia, nor do we really know what he thinks of her (aside from not caring where she is when Wander shows up for when the planets align). This also makes me wonder how Hater is going to take advantage of her. I mean, Sylvia seems savvy enough not to be fooled by whatever Lord Hater could cook up to trick her, not to mention I have a hard time picturing Hater trying to trick her or manipulate her emotions to his benefits; he can't pretend to sympathies with her since he's... well, Lord Hater, and Hater doesn't strike me as the manipulating type. He's more of a "come in, stomp everything good, laugh and monologue about it" kind of guy. I also feel like Wander referring to Sylvia as a "pet" will likely be a misunderstanding or sorts, he'd never think any less of Sylvia (even though I've only known him for a short time). So yeah, perhaps my most anticipated episode so far!

Craig McCracken also mentions in an interview an episode known as "The Box", in which Wander, being the nice guy he is, agrees to deliver a box to someone, with the promise that he won't look inside the box. Wander, being innately curious about everything (it's in his name, after all), wants to see what's inside the box, and is put at odds with his good nature and his natural curiosity. Really, so many good ideas to come with this series!

Okay, I know I'm running long here, but I want to touch up on one last thing: characters. The series has 4 central characters: Wander, Sylvia, Lord Hater, and Peepers. Not sure if you'd count the army of Watchdogs, though... Even though those are the main characters, there are and will be many other characters in the show, some one-off, others POSSIBLY recurring. Who, exactly? Well let's go down them.

Apparently, there's one specific member of the Watchdog army named "Westley", and he's Lord Hater's "#2 henchman". He is/will be played by actor/comedian Aziz Ansari. I have no idea of he's actually shown up in an episode, there have been Watchdogs who've spoken once or twice, but I'm not sure if any of them are Westley. Knowing of his existence, it makes me wonder what he does to be Lord Hater's #2...

There's Emperor Awesome from The Picnic, and he's already become something of an "Ensemble Darkhorse" among fans of the show. And really, he lives up to his name. On top of looking cool, being some kind of ultra-buff shark man with a kingly cape and crown, and talking like a surfer dude, he commands an army of "Fist Fighters", an army of little men with FISTS for heads, and a giant fire-breathing, laser-shooting dinosaur! I mean, he's just so unspeakably awesome that of course fans took an immediate liking to him! Unfortunately, he
was punched through a planet by Lord Hater
, so it might be unlikely that we'll see him again... but then again, if he's as awesome as his name implies, he probably survived. I wouldn't mind seeing him again. After all, it was pretty vague about what he was fighting for. I mean, CLEARLY he wanted the wish form the Celestial Star Being for himself, but his relationship with Lord Hater wasn't properly established. Is he a rival or adversary of Lord Hater's? Was he there to save the universe, or take over it himself? After all,
he was cut short of saying "The universe is-" before Lord Hater punched him... was he going to say "the universe is MINE!"? Or was he going to say "the universe is saved"!
After all, he didn't seem to have that much of an interest in the wish or dealing with Lord Hater ("I have a tanning session in, like, 15."). Has he deal with Hater before? Is this a typical occurrence? Have they known each other longer then Hater knows Wander? All questions that could possibly be answered if Awesome showed up again... Not that I would mind never seeing him again (gives me the chance to as Craig McCracken where he is if I ever meet him at a con! :P ), but still, it would be, dare I say, awesome? ;)

According to Wikipedia (they don't have a source on this), a character called Sir Brad Starlight, voiced by James Marsden, will show up at some point. Wish I knew more then that, though the name sounds cool at least.

Wikipedia also says, this time with at least two sources, that there will be a character called Trudie Traveler, voiced by Edie McClurg. Judging fromt he name, it sounds like she, like Wander, is a traveler, and likely traverse the galaxy like Wander and Sylvia does. This leads me to wonder if she willb e the first truly recurring character who's not part of the main cast... only time will till.

There's also King Bingleborp (voiced by Tom Kenny) and the Binglebops from "The Greatest", though I doubt we'll see them again... And there's "The Balloon Guy", also voiced by Tom Kenny, who I assume is the guy in these previews:

...It'd be funny if he somehow became a recurring character, wouldn't it?

PHEW! I did NOT mean for this post to be this long. Good golly gosh, if you actually bothered to read any of this, I applaud you and deeply thank you for taking an interest in what I have to say... Regardless, I hope all of you have checked out the series by now. Hopefully you liked it as much as I did!

I'm kind of glad you bothered to read it at all... and I'm glad I could convince you to check the series out! ;D

I saw the latest episode, The Good Deed, and honestly, it was a lot better then I expected it to be, probably because I've grown so used to the cynical outlook that TV has conditioned me to think in that the episode's completely positive message caught me by surprised.

I found it hilarious that the situations kept getting worse whenever Wander tried to help out, but in the end, everyone was happier for what Wander did... Except Hater, but I'll get back to him in a moment. This episode also features a rather surprising turn, in that it's the ultimate low-point that Wander's reached so far, and probably for the rest of the series... Wander seriously begins to question if his helping is truly doing any good, if every time he helps people something worse happens as an unforseen result. This moment also shows just how strong a friendship he and Sylvia have, since Sylvia is not the "helper" type, yet she helps pull Wander out of his rut (and also out of the mud he's sinking in). It's a very tender moment, and again, shows just how much heart this series has.

One thing I thought was a little weird was when Hater's ship blows up (and he and Peepers are somehow able to breath in space, while Wander needed to hold his breath), Wander and Sylvia don't bother helping him. Strange, given that Wander's the type of guy who sees the good in everyone and likely would at least try to be friendly with Hater... Then again, since Hater WAS the one who shot the missile that nearly blew up the star, I can see why they wouldn't try to do him any favors, but still. Although, I guess Wander feels he's done enough good deeds for one day...

Highlights of the episode were when Wander stops that feud and when Hater asks if he ever gets lucky... He even asks if he "makes out" with a girl. Seriously, on a Disney Channel show, I'm surprised that Craig McCracken managed to get away with that, ESPECIALLY considering Alex Hirsch (creator of Gravity Falls) struggled to get them to use a "spin the bottle" reference!

Overall, a really great episode! Man, this show is on fire, one great episode after another!

BTW, did you see the preview for the next episode? It's hilarious!

Which reminds me, I've seen all the episodes except the newest. I probably would've, except I was busy. Interesting show, which is based heavily on the power of love more than anything. The best one so far would be The Egg, and Sylvia was hilarious.

I'm downloading the first pair of episodes on my iPad right now. I'll tell you what I think.
This show gives me a HUGE Nickelodeon vibe. The first episode reminds me of Fairly Odd Parents, while the second reminded me of newer Spongebobs. I liked The Greatest, though I felt that The Egg was a weaker episode - Wander felt SO MUCH like the annoying new Spongebob, and I hope it doesn't become a recurring trait.

That said, I'll keep watching. It seems like it could be a cool show. Plus, the animation is beautiful.

Back