What series did Super Smash Bros. introduce you to?

Super Mario the Hedgehog

...I've been looking forward to it.
One of the greatest things about Super Smash Bros. is that it brings all of the divided Nintendo series fans together and even gets some of them into others. Super Smash Bros. Melee/Brawl revealed to me the Metal Gear, Kid Icarus, Fire Emblem, F-Zero, Earthbound, Animal Crossing, and Ice Climbers series. Some of these became part of my favorite series of all time, which is kind of why I'm so grateful for the franchise existing.

So, what are some series Super Smash Bros. show you? They don't have to be ones you even particularly got into, just some you didn't know about.

The first 2 games basically educated me about series that wasn't Mario or Pokemon. The 2 series that I was already a big fan of. So quite a bit of Series were introduced to me through the Smash series. I might of still not known much had they not add all those trophy descriptions in Melee. Sadly not many of them actually got me to play their games that often. Star Fox and Kirby might be an exception though.

But I gained an attachment to most characters on the roster. I have never played a Mother series game before. But when I thought Ness wasn't going to be in Brawl because Lucas was announced it felt like a part of my heart was missing.

Northern Verve said:
But I gained an attachment to most characters on the roster. I have never played a Mother series game before. But when I thought Ness wasn't going to be in Brawl because Lucas was announced it felt like a part of my heart was missing.
I'm sorry to do this SonicMario, but... seriously? Seriously?

None.

I had already played the mother series long before I got ssb, and same thing for fire emblem before melee.

Already knew of ice climbers and had played the nes kid icarus game, so yep.

Every other series I had at least seen before, so lol.

It did not particularly introduce me to a series, but it, err, I guess "rekindled" my love for a specific series. Specifically, the Mother and Pikmin series.

I played Pikmin a long time before Brawl was released, as well as EarthBound. However, I knew a Pikmin 2 existed, but never decided to play it until after Brawl, which was a great decision, btw. I never knew Mother 3 existed until Brawl, and after some people told me about how good of a game it was, I decided to emulate it and I instantly fell in love with it.

I'm weird.

Crocodile Dippy said:
Northern Verve said:
I'm sorry to do this SonicMario, but... seriously? Seriously?

Sorry if that sounds weak of me Dippy... but it's true. I felt pretty sad that Ness might of been excluded from Brawl. It was the "Up until now" in Lucas' profile that really got me. Of course I would of gotten over it eventually if it had happened or I wouldn't have had felt much if Lucas had replaced Ness back in Melee. But yes, the thought of Ness being excluded from Brawl when he was a character in both of the 2 past games saddened me to that point.

If that makes me a blind sentimentalist in your eyes or something for one character in a fighting game series. I'm terribly sorry. But I feel there was nothing wrong with missing Ness. Missing him ended up being fruitless as he showed up anyway.

you grow so emotionally attached to the least interesting character from a game you've never played before that you respond that melodramatically to the mere implication that he may not return in some random crossover fighting game?

ok

Crocodile Dippy said:
you grow so emotionally attached to the least interesting character from a game you've never played before that you respond that melodramatically to the mere implication that he may not return in some random crossover fighting game?

ok

Well the Smash Bros. series was kinda a big part of my childhood... Even if I've never actually played the Mother series I developed quite a bit or respect for it through SSB. Also as luck would have it Ness would end up becoming one of my 4 favorites to play as in Brawl next to Sonic, Pikachu, and Luigi. I'll probably never play a full game from the Mother series, but for some odd reason I really like Ness.

Different strokes for different blokes anyway though?

I got into the Pikmin & Mother series. I did not know about F-Zero, Ice Climber or Kid Icarus series before I played brawl. :p

Original=Earthbound, Kirby, F-Zero. My friends told me that Ness was the child of Captain Falcon and Samus...W T F.

Melee=Game and Watch and foreshadowed Animal Crossing and Pikmin.

Joey Wheeler said:
Original=Earthbound, Kirby, F-Zero. My friends told me that Ness was the child of Captain Falcon and Samus...W T F.

Melee=Game and Watch and foreshadowed Animal Crossing and Pikmin.
Actually, something I can't remember made me believe Ness was Baby Mario growing up or Mario's kid for a few months...WTF.

Super Smash Bros. introduced me to Kirby, but that's all I know what it did.

Well, it introduced me to Kirby as well. Also, I also became interested in The Legend of Zelda because I thought, "Why do I like Link, but don't play his games?", and so, I played the Ocarina of Time.

Pretty sure that Melee introduced Fire Emblem to the western audience as a whole.

'3K said:
Pretty sure that Melee introduced Fire Emblem to the western audience as a whole.
The Smash Bros series didn't just introduce the western audience to Fire Emblem. It also introduced:

Lucas
The Legendary Starfy series
Doshin the Giant
Cubivore
Animal Crossing series
That cooking trainer for the DS
Many other things

'3K said:
Yeah, that.

Though actually, I was introduced to Fire Emblem by a friend, who likely got it from Melee. So...

I'm impressed that Melee's trophies introduced a lot of Japan-Exclusive franchises to western audiences and foreshadowing future games like Luigi's Mansion, Animal Crossing, and Pikmin.

Joey Wheeler said:
I'm impressed that Melee's trophies introduced a lot of Japan-Exclusive franchises to western audiences and foreshadowing future games like Luigi's Mansion, Animal Crossing, and Pikmin.
The former was already out and the latter debuted on the same day as Melee. You're right about Animal Crossing, though.

Back