Adventure Time (spoilers)

Smashgoom202

Dry Bowser
Retired Wiki Staff
Could have SWORN there was an Adventure Time topic before this... :???:

Anyway, WHAT TIME IS IT?!

A show about Finn the human boy and his best friend and bro, Jake the (magic) dog, going on adventures, having fun times, with supporting cast including including the smart and sassy Princess Bubblegum, the lovely Lady Rainicorn, the sociopathic princess-nabber Ice King, the cute little computer pet thing BMO, the amoral chaotic Marceline the Vampire Queen, and of course, everyone's favorite, the Lumpy Space Princess. :P

So yeah, awesome show, funny stuff, and the season 3 finale just premiered a few days ago, with season 4 right around the corner...

You know, I just want to take the time to talk about what I thought about the finale, because it sort of helps support why this is a good show.

So basically, Finn is all mopey and emo because he feels that for as much as he loves Princess Bubblegum, the fact that she's older than him and just not interested is really getting to him. Jake decides to find him another girl his age, when
Flambo, a recurring character, introduces him to the Flame King and Flame Princess. In trying to convince the Flame King to let Flame Princess give Finn a chance, he realizes that Flame Princess is actually EVIL, and goes on a rampage when Jake disguised as Finn, tries to tell her he's no longer interested.
Really, the only game-changing, shocking twist to this season finale is what happened at the very end, as in, the LITERAL last line spoken before it cuts to a commercial. It goes by so fast that the fact that the one line is even said might not register completely and it takes you aback simply for that.

The big one-line?

Finn: "I think I might have a crush". ...ON SOMEONE WHO ISN'T PRINCESS BUBBLEGUM!

...Personally, I see this as more open-ended then others might. After all, he COULD be referring to the fact that there's someone who actually has the "hots" for him (sorry for the pun). Either way, I think I can see Flame Princess being a major player in the next season, and the fact that she's said to be outright evil will put a nice love triangle on Finn's old love for Princess Bubblegum, and he resolve to fight all things evil.

THAT'S awesome, and THAT'S why I love this show, because despite it's weird setting, outrageous creatures, non-sequitor one-liners, and outright BIZARRE plotlines, it's STILL a well-written show with a lot of thought and character development put into it!

Also, I freaking love the Ice King. Freaking hystarical, that guy is!

Rainbow Dash said:
I watched ocean of fear
It's interesting that Finn actually DOESN'T overcome his fear of the ocean, but rather just accepts that he's afraid, and goes on with his life. That's pretty grown up, and another small hint at just how well thought-out this show is.

Oh, this is one of the better shows on Cartoon Network. Trashes Regular Show and Flapjack and the like. Billy and Mandy is still the best show ever created in the history of television though.

I liked Flapjack. :'(

Also, Thorup Van Orman, Flapjack's creator, storyboards the show, and is the voice of the Tree Witch that wanted beautiful hair.

Meh, I never got into Flapjack. Also, I meant to say Chowder, not Regular Show. RS is classy.

Chowder is FREAKING HILARIOUS!

Regular Show... It's okay, but I can't help but feel that the only thing remarkable about it is that it's trying to do everything it can to seem weird and offbeat, which given how ALL of Cartoon Network's shows are weird and offbeat, makes it pretty insubstantial.

Not that it doesn't have it's moments, particularly the whole "Internet" episode.

I suppose in all fairness we are allowed our opinions. Plus I am still a season behind you Yanks with my British channels. So maybe, my opinion will change. Also which one was the Internet one as I remember several of them.

I love how the show actually has a pretty developed background story into it, both the characters and the setting.
I wish to see more of Flame Princess, I never liked the age gap between Finn and PB.

Incendium was the season finale right?

I think so...

And yeah, I like how the show DOES have it's own internal logic, and there actually IS some kind of explanation about what the land of Ooo is.

It's Earth after a mass bombing that wiped out most existing life and "the magic returned" so to speak.

Smashgoom202 said:
I think so...

And yeah, I like how the show DOES have it's own internal logic, and there actually IS some kind of explanation about what the land of Ooo is.

It's Earth after a mass bombing that wiped out most existing life and "the magic returned" so to speak.
Yeah, there are some weird theories out there, but I don't think it was ever mentioned.....
Anyways, the first time I saw a commercial for Adventure Time, I thought it was the most stupid show ever. Now it's one of my favorites. I love almost everything about it, including how it takes advantage of its PG rating. Unfortunately, many episodes are Hit or Miss, meaning that it will be a beyond awesome episode, or an utter failure. The newest one was miss, although both Finn and Jake's songs were pretty cool.
I feel all warmed up inside. I feel all warmed up inside. I feel all warmed up ins-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-ide
, and yes, there is that many i's. In fact, most singing are pretty awesome. The best one of them all: Marceline's Fry Song from It Came From the Nightosphere.

DragonFreak said:
Smashgoom202 said:
I think so...

Yeah, there are some weird theories out there, but I don't think it was ever mentioned.....
The thing in the spoiler is what Pendleton Ward said, and when you look at the opening title sequence and during certain parts of the show, you can see that it might be true.

Namely, there are bomb shells all over the place, and ruins of old cities, etc.

Smashgoom202 said:
DragonFreak said:
Smashgoom202 said:
I think so...

The thing in the spoiler is what Pendleton Ward said, and when you look at the opening title sequence and during certain parts of the show, you can see that it might be true.

Namely, there are bomb shells all over the place, and ruins of old cities, etc.
Yeah, that one-and-a-half second scene before the Ice King's Kingdom. I've studied that second so much...

Goombella said:
Meh, I never got into Flapjack. Also, I meant to say Chowder, not Regular Show. RS is classy.
You better. I was just about to defend RS for a second there. But I found Chowder to be pretty funny as well.

Anyways, I love this show.

Hey guess what? An Adventure Time game for the Nintendo DS is in development:

https://twitter.com/#!/buenothebear/status/183037075510132736

...If this link doesn't work, doesn't worry, it doesn't work for me either... But here's some concept art to make up for it!

8hhuz6

It's being made by WayForward who also made the Mighty Milky Way, Mighty Switch Force, and Shantae: Risky's Revenge.

*BUMP* Who saw the new season premiere tonight?
We get to see where Finn's new-found interest in the Flame Princess goes! We also get to see NEPTR again, and the Goblin Kingdom! CONTINUITY IS AWESOME! ;D

I don't know, I thought it was... entertaining. I giggled quite a bit while watching it, at least.

*bump*

Adventure Time Japanese commercials:

Finn's Japanese voice actor also does Edward Elric from Fullmetal Alchemist.

Hey hey, everybody! Deciding to bump this topic with the fact that I just finished watching all the new episodes I needed to catch up on, up to The Lich! Boy what an episode, THAT was... There are also some promos for season 5, but I feel compelled to talk about all the episodes I just watched before getting into what next season will hold.

Okay, first off, King Worm:
I liked it, really surreal stuff. I ESPECIALLY liked hearing Pen Ward say that YouTube Poop helped inspire them for this episode... I wonder which ones are his favorites... What I liked most, though, were the various call-backs to the things Finn fears. That fear being that lives in his belly-button makes an appearance and his fear of the ocean comes back, and this time, we see some of Finn's other fears, including the Lich, the fear of being too young for Princess Bubblegum (still kind of hard to get over, I suppose), that creepy ghost lady from The Creeps, and... a clown... Probably in reference to Another Way and those clown nurses.
Isn't King Worm going to be in the Adventure Time video game? Can't wait for that!

Lady & Peebles:
Also really enjoyed this episode. PB and Lady Rainicorn instead of Finn and Jake, the princess and lady actually make a good duo, even though they were pretty much on their last limbs when facing Richardio. Speaking of whom, I was really surprised to see him. I felt like, when he was first introduced, he seems like too much of an awesome and intriguing character to just be a one-off guy, and get, being the Ice King's Heart, I didn't see how we would be able to see him again... Yet here he is, creepier than ever. George Takei is still as much of a pimp as ever. I feel like half the joke of this episode is watching PB having a conversation with Lady Rainicorn, yet the vast majority of people are not going to understand what she says. Not that it matters, you can still basically follow what she's saying by PB's reactions. The ending, though... I wonder if they're going to follow-up on that.

You Made Me!
You know, I find myself at odds with my opinions of Lemongrab. On one hand, he's loud and obnoxious, and I usually hate loud and obnoxious characters, ESPECIALLY when they're MEANT to be loud and obnoxious. On the other hand... I can't help but like him for that. Maybe it's his voice actor Justin Roiland that allows his yells and wails to be more tolerable by me (speaking of whom, you'd think a role like this would effectively END his voice acting career after all the screaming he does). Not to mention, I like his origin story, and his character. He's loud and annoying with no social skills and has an inability to understand what others think. Kind of like the Ice King, one of my favorite characters. Unlike the Ice King, though, who's this way because of the crown he wears, Lemongrab was pretty much a failed experiment by PB, so she really did make him this way... I find it weird that, given PB's moral ambiguity with it comes to science and her experiments, she shows sympathy for Lemongrab and tries to help him. I find the idea of two Lemongrabs to be pure insanity, but here's hoping they know what to do with him after this.

Who Would Win:
Another "Finn and Jake have a random adventure" episode, so I'm kind of eh about this one. I like the ideas that Jake's satisfied with being the "3rd" best at one thing, while Finn, still kind of immature, tries to get Jake interested in something he thinks is more important on a grander scale. I like that at the end of the episode, Finn learns that even though it might not SEEM important to him, it was important to Jake, and really, that's all that matters. Then again, Jake also learns that it WASN'T that important, so, whatever, they win a fight against a giant thing wearing a barn, yeah.

Ignition Point:
More Flame Princess stuff! I'm glad they're doing more with her than they did with 13-year-old PB the season before. Still, the idea that everyone in the Flame Kingdom is evil and that Flame Princess could also be evil is kind of scary. I mean, she's powerful, and scary, but she doesn't have to be, she just needs control over her emotions. Flame King seems dead-set on making sure she stays evil, though, so I have to wonder, will we see more of him in the future? How will this all play out in the end? I'm very curious.

The Hard Easy: ADVENTURE TIME'S 100TH EPISODE!
...Is yet another "Finn and Jake on a random adventure" episode... Nothing to special, though I like the fish village they save. They seem like off-beat, but relatively nice guys, and Finn and Jake are cool for helping them. I liked the idea that it seems like the Mega-Frog was toying with them at first, but what REALLY made this episode for me was the fact that the prince (who was turned into the Mega-Frog) sounds JUST LIKE Captain K'nuckles from The Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack. Yeah, it's Brain-Doyle Murray, I know who it was, but still, that voice, I just LOVE that voice! It's like Gilbert Gottfried if he were a sailor! I want that prince to appear again just to hear that awesome voice of his!

Reign of the Gunters:
Ice King and Gunter's relationship perplexes me sometimes... Like, the episode almost seems like Gunter was going to fight back against the one who abused him, but in the end, the Ice King easily overpowers Gunter and Gunter just does whatever he says... It's funny, though, I feel like Gunter just wanted to break glass just to spite the Ice King, not to actually hurt him. That weird cat... Wasn't that the thing that came from Gunter's egg? Nice call-back! I don't know if "Finn getting bad advice about romance" is going to be a major plot point we'll see in the future, but hopefully, it won't overly complicate things. My favorite part of the episode, though, was the Ice King visiting that wizard village. I hope we see that Wizard Huntress again... and Me-Mow. Cool characters and ideas!

I Remember You:
Probably my new favorite episode. Ever since I saw Holly Jolly Secrets, and found out that the Ice King's been around for 1000 years, before the "Mushroom War", I though about the idea of him and Marceline knowing each other, and I'm glad they addressed it in this episode. It really is kind of twisted how the Ice King cries over no one loving him, then the show jerks us back by showing us that he only has himself to blame. He'll never get anyone if he keeps DEMANDING that they be with him, forcing them to be with him, doing weird things and being all nutty. It's also extremely sad to see Marceline, who KNEW the Ice King back when he was still Simon Petrikov, struggling to try and comfort him and herself while trying to deal with his crazy mannerisms. I'd LIKE to say I wish there was a way to help the Ice King remember who he used to be, but then again, I think the show has enough guts to keep this relationship bittersweet... The flashback, with a younger Marceline and a not-completely-crazy Simon, is probably the most touching thing I've seen out of this show, and I love it... Also, a small side-bar, I though the Ice King was skinnier than that. Guess he put on some weight.

And finally...

The Lich:
Wow. Just, wow... Bringing back previous mythology, such as the Cosmic Owl, Billy, The Lich, and the Enchiridion, and using all that to explain the origins of Ooo and how the universe of Adventure Time works, A-MAZING! This seems to be a tradition in the Adventure Time series, ending each season on a bit of a cliffhanger... A Lich-possessed Billy tricks Finn into opening a portal to another universe, which Finn and Jake follow, only to see ANOTHER mechanical-armed Finn and normal-dog Jake living on a farm... Like they're alternate universe versions of the characters we've come to know! So many twists in one episode, it makes me anticipate the season 5 premiere even more!!!

As for those promos, there are two of them, that I know of:

I can't make heads-or-tales of the first one, since it's just a bunch of short, 1-second clips meshed into one. The second one, though... Damn...
Like, I get the feeling that we'll find out who the Lich really is. Apparently, Finn can make a wish. Jake, too, and of course, he wishes for something stupid (or IS IT?!), but to me, I feel that The Lich's existence will play more into the history of Ooo than Finn thinks... Also, we see some plans flying an Ice-King-in-the-making Simon Petrikov, does this mean that the Lich even existed as far back as then? Does this mean he's somehow responsible for the "Mushroom Wars"? And does this all tie back to that other Finn and Jake we saw?
Aw man, I'm almost as hyped for this as I am for the My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic season 3 premiere!

Okay, I'm a bit embarrassed to say that after the season 5 premiere, I haven't been keeping up with the series... I DID, however, discover this Hot Topic interview with Pendleton Ward and thought I'd share it with y'all!

So apparently BMO is Mr. Ward's favorite character. :)

Why isn't anyone posting on this topic? I thought people here liked Adventure Time...

Smashgoom asked me to post here. I didn't even know this Thread existed.I'm actually an Adventure Time fan, although at times the show frustrates me because I expect one thing, and they do the exact opposite.

I.e. Jake's pups. I thought they were going to be every episode characters and every episode they will steadily grow. I would've preferred that.

Back