The Official Dragon Ball/Z/GT/Kai/Super Thread

Dragon Ball Super is over. What did you think of it?

• Indifferent

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Disliked it

• Hated it

• Total voters

GalacticPetey

Donkey Kong
This is a thread where you talk about the anime, manga, video games, etc. of Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, Dragon Ball GT, Dragon Ball Z Kai, and Dragon Ball Super!

Re: The Official Dragon Ball/Z/GT/Kai Thread

I've been playing Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 3 lately. I've seen all of DBZ and DBGT (and the movies.) I still need to finish Dragon Ball.

Mason said:
I've been playing Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 3 lately. I've seen all of DBZ and DBGT (and the movies.) I still need to finish Dragon Ball.
Tenkaichi 3 is on my Christmas list. I've seen gameplay videos. 161 PLAYABLE CHARACTERS!

Alright Dragonball Z. I've always loved the original series especially the ol' Funimation dub. It wasn't perfect then since it did have the occasional narm (But sometimes that made it better). My favorite saga would have to be the Android/Cell Saga as it had alot of my favorite moments from the series. I also loved Bruce Faulconer (In some corners of the internet that seems to be an unpopular opinion... shame too because I thought his music fit almost every scene in the series) and while there was alot of filler in the original show some of that filler I think was great and added tension. I don't have anything too bad against Kai for eliminating practically all the filler but some of the parts like inbetween fights where we see the others reactions I thought added some extra drama. (Though stuff like the Garlic Jr. Saga or the whole Great Saiyaman thing, yeah that was unnecessary)

Another issue I kinda had with Kai is that during the Namek Saga I swore there was a piece of background music that'd play at least once every single episode. Even if you didn't like Bruce's soundtrack at least for the most part he didn't keep the same tracks constantly for every episode.

My favorite tracks by Bruce are Super Saiyan 3 theme, Vegeta's Super Saiyan theme, and any song that has to do with Mystic/Ultimate Gohan.

I don't watch Kai, but I did watch the rest of the series (to the best of my memory anyway, certainly all of Z) and all of the movies. I liked the Frieza and Buu sagas.

Responding to the filler argument in the other thread... (This post contains spoilers.)

• How can DBZ fans dislike filler? That's like a Mario fan disliking jumping.
  • Again, the filler. After watching every single episode of DBZ, I can say I enjoyed all of the filler. And I mean every kind of filler. I liked the episode about Goku and Piccolo trying to get driver's licenses. I enjoyed the Garlic Jr saga. I enjoy the villain taking a bunch of episodes going "mwa ha ha you can never defeat me go ahead and power up!"
  • Imagine DBZ with absolutely no filler. And don't say Kai has absolutely no filler.
  • I disagree with some of the things people call filler, but I guess that's another story. Any way you look at it, DBZ would have been a lot less episodes without it. "Look a bad guy! He's dead!. Look a stronger bad guy! Training. He's dead."
  • The humor of the show has a big impact on me, and a lot of the filler occurred during "peaceful" moments of the show (like when Buu took out the street corner fight gambler so he could have money for icecream, and he gave that huge pile of money to the ice cream store.) That has filler written all over it (well kind of, it was somewhat after the end of the series.) But I still enjoyed it.

I find it rather odd that Frieza would claim to be the strongest being in the universe when there are entities out there that can easily crush him. Broly and Bojack are just some examples, seeing as they're both powerful enough to beat a standard Super Saiyan.

MnSG said:
I find it rather odd that Frieza would claim to be the strongest being in the universe when there are entities out there that can easily crush him. Broly and Bojack are just some examples, seeing as they're both powerful enough to beat a standard Super Saiyan.

Well Frieza never knew of Broly and Bojack were sealed away. Still, Frieza is a liar because King Cold and Cooler were stronger.

I know Cooler has that 5th transformation to tell that he's stronger but I think at least in the form we saw King Cold in the show, Frieza at the time was stronger. Perhaps he'd be stronger if he were allowed to show his other transformations, but I don't think 2nd-form King Cold is as strong as full power Final Form Frieza or Mecha Frieza at the time.

Trunks killed King Cold before he could even think of transforming, so we'll never know for sure.

Northern Verve said:
I know Cooler has that 5th transformation to tell that he's stronger but I think at least in the form we saw King Cold in the show, Frieza at the time was stronger. Perhaps he'd be stronger if he were allowed to show his other transformations, but I don't think 2nd-form King Cold is as strong as full power Final Form Frieza or Mecha Frieza at the time.

Trunks killed King Cold before he could even think of transforming, so we'll never know for sure.
Oh yeah. Also, Cooler was movie only so if you go by the Manga, he never existed

GalacticPetey said:
Well Frieza never knew of Broly and Bojack were sealed away. Still, Frieza is a liar because King Cold and Cooler were stronger.

Oddly, Cooler's final form was no match for Super Saiyan Goku. It wasn't until Cooler became Meta-Cooler where he was able to give a Super Saiyan a run for his money. Ironically, in Budokai Tenkaichi 2, Meta-Cooler has a harder time fighting against giants than Cooler's final form.

Eh, hard to say... I think I'll got with the original Dragon Ball. Even though it did follow a pattern, there was more variety with hunting down Dragon Balls then fighting and increasingly impossibly strong opponent every Saga. The World Martial Arts Tournaments were also entertaining in their own right.

Dragon Ball Z was the series that caught my attention and pretty much the first series I saw in this huge franchise, probably because it was the one they went with first, instead of translating the original Dragon Ball beforehand. It'll always have that nostalgic factor to it for me.

Mr. Popo is my favorite character, followed closely by Piccolo.

Here's a few of my favorite Bruce Faulconer tracks

And then there's always this classic

Oh yeah, DBZ had a pretty badass soundtrack. I think it's a good thing FUNimation made the choices they made for the series... Perhaps not initially, but they definitely improved over time... Which is ironic, considering the series grew thin over time.

I aplogose for double post. I'm trying to keep this thread alive. I plan on getting some Best Buy and F.Y.E gift cards and buy as much DBZ on DVD as possible

I have all the DBZ episodes plus some of the movies on a 15-disc set from Ebay :P

The entire Saiyan Saga and halfway into the Ginyu saga has the dub before Funimation took over though (The one that the infamous Over 9000 comes from) but from the Ginyu Force Saga and one it's all the original Funimation dubs.

Northern Verve said:
I have all the DBZ episodes plus some of the movies on a 15-disc set from Ebay :P

The entire Saiyan Saga and halfway into the Ginyu saga has the dub before Funimation took over though (The one that the infamous Over 9000 comes from) but from the Ginyu Force Saga and one it's all the original Funimation dubs.
I jelly.

DBZ is my favorite, because that's what I grew up with. I never got around to watching GT, but I watched all of Dragon Ball. Probably the reason I like DBZ the most, is because Gohan is amazing.

Brock said:
DBZ is my favorite, because that's what I grew up with. I never got around to watching GT, but I watched all of Dragon Ball. Probably the reason I like DBZ the most, is because Gohan is amazing.
Mu favorite form of him is ultimate. They made Gohan a nerd in GT

GalacticPetey said:
Apparently GT and Kai have no votes.
Well, if it were between regular DBZ and DBZ Kai, then I'd vote Kai, but I voted Dragon Ball, so oh well.

Also, GT sucked. It sucked hard.

Back