Poll

What's your preferred way to experience Dragon Ball?

Manga
Original Anime (Japanese)
Original Anime (Dubbed)
Kai (Japanese)
Kai (Dubbed)

Author Topic: The Official Dragon Ball/Z/GT/Kai/Super Thread  (Read 78451 times)

Northern Verve

• Princess of Magic
  • Star Spirit
  • SonicMario
    • View Profile
Re: The Official Dragon Ball/Z/GT/Kai/Super Thread
« Reply #860 on: January 24, 2017, 08:51:04 PM »
I prefer Original Dub. Sorry if I come off as too much into nostalgia but while there are certainly some real awkward moments in acting especially early on in the Namek saga. But many of my favorite lines come from the original dub that weren't present in Kai. And I still enjoy Bruce Faulconer's soundtrack for the series.

And quite frankly there's some filler that I don't mind. I don't like how in the Manga and Kai we see nothing of Gohan's year of survival in the wild. Where we did get to see that through some filler in the original. And while not as big of a deal, there are some funny filler episodes like the one Goku and Piccolo go to driver's training. I just feel some of the filler allowed for some more slice-of-life stuff for some of the characters. Were while it is good to get straight to the action with how Kai shortens things. I'm not saying there's no unneeded filler. Whenever I want to start watching DBZ again I don't normally decide to watch say the Garlic Jr. saga for example unless for some reason I planned on rewatching the entire series without skipping any episode whatsoever (Which is ludicrous)

When I do go back to watch DBZ it's usually to rewatch the Android/Cell Sagas since that's my favorite part of DBZ hands down.

Though on another note. I have not seen all episodes of (original with Kid Goku and such) Dragonball or Dragonball GT. I might end up doing that soon though at least for Dragonball, since a local library system can allow me to rent some of the season. As for the latter, I know it's not entirely well-liked and made non-canon by Super. It's a short series compartively to both Dragonball and DBZ so it might be at least nice to see what I missed even if it doesn't turn out that good.

GalacticPetey

• Team Universe 7
  • Donkey Kong
  • Even Zen-Oh will be blown away
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: January 24, 2017, 09:34:12 PM »
The Funimation cast has definitely improved over time. Schemmel and Sabat have really grown into their roles. I'm also glad they've moved past wildly altering the script and replacing music.

I think it was the worst during the OG Namek saga dubbed. I mean, just listen to this.

All the actors were pretty inexperienced and Freeza was especially bad. Linda Young is a fine actress but horribly miscast as Freeza. I get nostalgia and all, but you can't tell me this is a good performance.

While we're on the subject, I want to post one of my favorite scenes from Kai.

Chris Ayres' Freeza is phenomenal.

Northern Verve

• Princess of Magic
  • Star Spirit
  • SonicMario
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: January 24, 2017, 11:25:10 PM »
It might be at least partly because of the original that the Namek Saga is my least favorite of the four main sagas admittedly. Though even in Dragonball Kai where they certainly improved voice acting in areas there's still some things that bugged me. Like the music got too repetitive, I swear I heard a certain music track at least once every episode during a decent part of Kai's version of the Namek Saga. Now it wasn't a bad track mind you, but certainly repeats enough to the point it got noticable.

I think I did see at least part of how Kai did the Android/Cell Saga. But quite frankly it was less memorable to me to watching how the original did that part of the show. Haven't really been too interested in seeing how Kai does the Buu Saga, maybe some day later.

GalacticPetey

• Team Universe 7
  • Donkey Kong
    • View Profile
« Reply #863 on: January 24, 2017, 11:45:51 PM »
I can tell you that Dameon Clarke is wonderful as Cell in Kai. You can tell he's having a ton of fun with the role. As with the rest of Kai, the acting is improved and the script is more faithful to the original Japanese.

IMO the SSJ2 transformation is done better in Kai as well. There's no dumb internal monologue after Gohan watches 16 die. It's silent except for the music. Much more effective. It also helps that Gohan has a better voice in the scene as well.

Mr. Edo

• Team Skull Grunt
  • Core 'Shroom Staff
  • Star Spirit
  • Gabumon
  • "Dokuro!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: February 06, 2017, 01:34:11 AM »
And thus Goku doomed everyone. Again.

"To do just the opposite is also a form of imitation."
 --G. C. Lichtenberg

GalacticPetey

• Team Universe 7
  • Donkey Kong
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: February 06, 2017, 07:28:53 AM »
I don't think it's entirely Goku's fault. I don't think he expected for Zen-O to add that rule for the tournament.

Episode was very good. I like the new art style and the new opening is great.

Mr. Edo

• Team Skull Grunt
  • Core 'Shroom Staff
  • Star Spirit
  • Gabumon
  • "Dokuro!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: February 06, 2017, 06:25:57 PM »
Well, he did have ample warning. Ignoring Beerus is kind of understandable since he's quite moody, but even Whis told him that it's a stupid idea.

--G. C. Lichtenberg

GalacticPetey

• Team Universe 7
  • Donkey Kong
    • View Profile
« Reply #867 on: February 06, 2017, 09:07:45 PM »
Make sense. I'm not sure what Goku was expecting when God is essentially a five year old. And there's two of him.

Mr. Edo

• Team Skull Grunt
  • Core 'Shroom Staff
  • Star Spirit
  • Gabumon
  • "Dokuro!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: February 10, 2017, 01:04:08 AM »
I've been watching TFS' playthrough of Dragon Ball Fusions, and it makes me kind of sad how underutilized fusion is in the show. It's such a fun concept with lots of potential. Almost makes me wish there was some sort of alternate timeline spin-off where fusion was more stable and used more frequently.

Interestingly enough, this would also somewhat mitigate the problem of side characters being rendered obsolete by Goku and Vegeta. Characters like Tenshinhan or Piccolo may not be able to rival the main characters in power, but they have a whole pallete of wacky techniques with interesting battle applications. Combining Goku's strength with these characters' versatility would give them some time to shine, and probably also be fun to watch.

Yeah, I know, it's never gonna happen. Goku and Vegeta dislike fusion. I just like to imagine it.

--G. C. Lichtenberg

GalacticPetey

• Team Universe 7
  • Donkey Kong
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: February 11, 2017, 10:29:36 PM »
Yeah, fusion's such a cool concept, but it doesn't go anywhere. The short amount of time Vegito appears is great, and I wish they did more with him. Seeing characters like Piccolo and Tenshinhan take advantage of it would have been cool as well.

And now for something else...

DBS Episode 78
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Mr. Edo

• Team Skull Grunt
  • Core 'Shroom Staff
  • Star Spirit
  • Gabumon
  • "Dokuro!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #870 on: February 12, 2017, 12:53:13 AM »

--G. C. Lichtenberg

GalacticPetey

• Team Universe 7
  • Donkey Kong
    • View Profile
« Reply #871 on: February 12, 2017, 11:41:01 AM »

Mr. Edo

• Team Skull Grunt
  • Core 'Shroom Staff
  • Star Spirit
  • Gabumon
  • "Dokuro!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #872 on: February 12, 2017, 11:11:25 PM »

--G. C. Lichtenberg

GalacticPetey

• Team Universe 7
  • Donkey Kong
    • View Profile
« Reply #873 on: February 18, 2017, 08:10:22 AM »

Mayor Pauline

• \
  • Donkey Kong
  • Zae
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: April 24, 2017, 09:54:02 PM »
so after dragon maid finished i needed something new to watch and super was it, caught up recently and hot dang.

Super is pretty good, universe 6 arc was great, goku black arc was good, and the new arc is looking mighty sexy.

Also hit best character.
Rest in peace, walkazo.

GalacticPetey

• Team Universe 7
  • Donkey Kong
    • View Profile
« Reply #875 on: April 25, 2017, 01:00:12 AM »
This most recent arc has been great. It's been fun to see the recruiting process, but I think I'm ready for the tournament to start now. I need some more #17 fight scenes in my life.

I think Goku Black is my favorite new character introduced, well also Beerus and Whis, but they're technically from BoG.

Mr. Edo

• Team Skull Grunt
  • Core 'Shroom Staff
  • Star Spirit
  • Gabumon
  • "Dokuro!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: April 25, 2017, 02:33:46 AM »
I just hope the battles stay as focussed on tactics as they've been so far in this arc. It was great seeing Krillin of all people to almost get the drop on Goku by outsmarting him.

Also, the prospect of seeing 18 and Krillin as a battle couple is pretty amazing.

--G. C. Lichtenberg

GalacticPetey

• Team Universe 7
  • Donkey Kong
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: April 25, 2017, 08:24:00 AM »
Yeah, the teamwork is what I'm looking forward to the most. And not just fan service-y things like the 18 / Krillin couple battle. I want to see crazy, out there combinations like Roshi and Buu working together, or Gohan and Vegeta.

Mayor Pauline

• \
  • Donkey Kong
  • Zae
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: April 25, 2017, 10:49:04 AM »
considering its a battle royale and all im pretty sure the tactics will be there plus some fights already have had to some tactics in some arcs too so maybe thats where the tournament of power arc will really set that up and its nice to see so many characers i like actually being in the action, aside from videl.

Although im quite curious if hit will be there and more curious to see how good this jiren is too.
Rest in peace, walkazo.

GalacticPetey

• Team Universe 7
  • Donkey Kong
    • View Profile
« Reply #879 on: April 25, 2017, 07:41:01 PM »
Hit, and all the other Universe Six fighters are in the opening. It's quick, but they're there. We will be seeing Hit, Cabba, Frost, Magetta, and Botamo again.

I guarantee Hit is gonna be taken out by Jiren to show how tough he is.