Author Topic: I just beat __  (Read 153171 times)

Bandana Waddle Dee

• The Legend of Dee
  • Shine Sprite
  • YoshiFlutterJump
    • View Profile
Re: I just beat __
« Reply #1900 on: March 19, 2019, 12:34:34 AM »
Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards (100%)

Just beat this game (which, in this case, actually translates to 100% due to reasons I'll state in a bit).  Funny thing about this game is that, like its predecessors Kirby 2 and Kirby 3, there's a false ending that they give you after beating the penultimate boss, preventing you from fighting the true final boss until you meet certain requirements.  In this case, you had to collect every one of the 72 Crystal Shards (no, it's not 100 shards like nintendo.com erroneously states).  I enjoyed collecting them, for the most part, but some shards were rather cheap and I got them via restore point abuse to save time.  A lot of Adeleine's puzzles were fun, but tough, too.

The boss fights were great too.  With two exceptions, they were all well designed, and moderately challenging, like a boss fight should be.  Those two exceptions?  The first was Whispy Woods, of course, but he's basically a sort of joke boss at this point.  But the second?  That blasted Miracle Matter fight.  That fight was so dang cheap.  I swear, I lost at least 60 lives in that fight.  A fight where you're given a precious few openings to attack, combined with just how much of an HP sponge he is, just makes for a cheap and unenjoyable boss fight.

But outside a few tedious shards and that cheap Miracle Matter fight, it was a pretty enjoyable game.  There's still a few optional objectives to complete, such as the Boss Endurance and the Catch Card collection, but I'll worry about those later.

winstein

• Power Star
  • Justice is not limited, it is a universal quality
    • View Profile
« Reply #1901 on: March 19, 2019, 01:13:02 AM »

The Way Remastered (Switch)

Also available on: PC

This game was Kickstarted back in 2014 and released originally on PC on 2016, followed by a Switch version in 2018. I got this game a few months ago when it was only $0.93, and I must say what a bargain that was, because I quite enjoyed the game's story structure and puzzle, not to mention the colourful pixel art and occasional music score. The resolution looks a bit squashed on handheld mode, probably because this game is made for a higher display that is best enjoyed docked. To give you a picture on how this game looks, here's a screenshot:

The story is basically this: the main character Tom had lost his wife, but he remembered an expedition (where his soon-to-be-wife was there too) to a foreign planet and learned of the planet's secret of eternal life. As such, he dug his dead wife out of the grave and put her in a frozen state, and embark on a journey to the planet he's been to in order to revive his wife. Not to spoil too much, but the game also presented the main character in different phases of his life, where he looked different due to aging, because his journey happened for about half his lifespan. In his journey he also had a loyal animal-monster companion (that orange and blue thing with four eyes) that he adopted due to unfortunate circumstances for his companion, and this companion would become very important in helping the main character achieve his goal.

This game is basically a narrative platformer, which puts the player in the shoes of the hero as they navigate the environments filled with dangers at every turn, similar to classic games like Another World and Flashback. Much like those games, the main character is very vulnerable to death, as any enemy or hazard in the game is a threat to the hero, not to mention the fact that long falls also equal death. It's a good thing that there are invisible checkpoints so the story could go on in short order. Fortunately for the hero, he has ways to combat the situation, such as his younger self's access to a rechargeable gun. The platforming is a bit tricky but not too bad since there are some safety measures, namely auto-grabbing the ledge if he comes in contact with it. The puzzles are quite serviceable too, as they have a modest challenge to them.

It's an overall enjoyable game that I am glad to play through.

Thank you for reading.
(Credit goes to Alex95 for this signature)

John Doe

• Ace Butler...?
  • Star Spirit
  • Epic Nitwit
    • View Profile
    • Backloggery
« Reply #1902 on: March 20, 2019, 10:43:34 PM »
Ace Attorney Investigations 2: Miles Edgeworth - Prosecutor's Path

wooow what a game man
it's an ace attorney game so it almost goes without saying that its good but wow this game is something special even within the series. every case is pretty good, with a great cast of characters both old and new, but i think the highlight of the game is really how interconnected it all is. everything that happens is connected, and gives the feeling that, even though you've solved the case, there's a much bigger mystery that looms over your head. as a result of this, i don't think any cases feel like they're filler and thats pretty neat.
it all makes it such a shame that this had to be released just before AA's big resurgence in the west, because it means so many people here just won't have a chance to play it. but i'm grateful that theres at least a dedicated group of fan translators that put a lot of work in so that at least some people could experience this amazing game

Sakura Matou

• The Imaginary Element
  • Celestial Guide
  • Crackin355
  • "Welcome home, Senpai." △
    • View Profile
« Reply #1903 on: March 21, 2019, 09:14:13 AM »
I beat High Midgardsormr in Dragalia Lost for the first time, I'm pretty happy at how well it went. I wasn't the dead weight I thought I would be, although I've found out that the DPS guys and I all do the baiting so there's less pressure on me to hug the boss constantly. I guess now I just pray for good pubs while I build someone up for High Brunhilda.

It's convenient timing that I beat the (previously) hardest content at the 6 month mark.

Bandana Waddle Dee

• The Legend of Dee
  • Shine Sprite
  • YoshiFlutterJump
    • View Profile
« Reply #1904 on: March 23, 2019, 11:26:46 PM »
Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time

Wow.  That was one epic final battle.  And an epic plot twist right before it.  Elder Princess Shroob was a final boss done right, and that final battle music might be on the level of those of Inside Story and Dream Team.  Even though I didn't die due to the nature of the battle system, I got incredibly close several times.  I'm not sure I would have lasted much longer if I was playing version 1.0, which, according to the wiki bestiary, makes the fights towards the end of the game drag out much longer.  Thank goodness for version 1.1!

In terms of sidequests, well, there's bean collecting, which I've done a significant amount of, despite the game not tracking which beans I got and where.  There's also one more boss, Shrowser, that I personally consider an extra postgame challenge, but as you can't see the credits without beating him, you could call him the final boss...if you really want to.

While I will admit that this is my least favorite game in the series due to its flawed battle system, and that it would benefit more from a remake than either Superstar Saga or Bowser's Inside Story did, I still loved every minute of it and it's a solid 8/10 in my book.

The only one in the series I have yet to play now is Bowser's Inside Story, and while I know that VC injects exist and with a little bit of work I could play it on Wii U, I'd rather just wait until I can buy a new 3DS to play the remake my brother got not too long ago.  I hear it makes heavy use of the DS capabilities and that there's a reason it was never officially released on the Wii U VC.  So until then, I'll probably check out Super Mario RPG and Paper Mario.

Bandana Waddle Dee

• The Legend of Dee
  • Shine Sprite
  • YoshiFlutterJump
    • View Profile
« Reply #1905 on: April 03, 2019, 02:07:33 AM »
Super Mario 64 DS

Finally got 80 stars and rescued Peach.  It was a fun game.  I liked playing with the different character abilities, even though most of the time I just used Mario.  I liked how much variety there was in the game, and what's more, there are still six levels I haven't even touched yet!  From what I've played, my favorite level in this game is probably Big Boo's Haunt.  I also have to constantly remind myself that I only have half the stars in the game, which only testifies to just how big the game is.  Great remake of a great game, would highly recommend.

supermariofan

• Dry Bowser
    • View Profile
« Reply #1906 on: April 03, 2019, 03:14:20 AM »
The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time 3D

All 3 files beat! My favorite Zelda remake and the definitive version of Ocarina of Time!

infinite8

• My boy...
  • Dry Bowser
  • Squairby
    • View Profile
« Reply #1907 on: April 03, 2019, 06:58:09 AM »
Shovel Knight

Beaten the main campaigns for Shovel of Hope, Plague of Shadows, and Specter of Torment. Looking forward to King of Cards.

Bandana Waddle Dee

• The Legend of Dee
  • Shine Sprite
  • YoshiFlutterJump
    • View Profile
« Reply #1908 on: April 07, 2019, 03:54:49 AM »
Super Mario Sunshine

Beat the game, having done every major episode except Pianta Village Episode 8 (as the Delfino Plaza flood triggered before I could play it).  I also got quite a few Blue Coins, but I'm not sure exactly how many I got because I'm too lazy to check right now.  I did also complain a few mini-levels in Delfino Plaza, including the infamous Pachinko Game, although I still have yet to beat the even more infamous Lily Pad Ride.  As with Super Mario 64, the final boss was tough on my first few attempts, but became much easier after a little while.  As much as people like to bash on Sunshine's voice acting, you gotta admit it's better than 64's voicing of Peach and Bowser (that evil laughing at every death in Mario 64 is a prime example of hilariously bad voice acting).  I finished the game with 80 total Shines.

Sakura Matou

• The Imaginary Element
  • Celestial Guide
  • Crackin355
    • View Profile
« Reply #1909 on: April 08, 2019, 06:30:40 AM »
Fate/Extella Link

Was not expecting the final boss to have three phases. This was a huge improvement over Fate/Extella in the gameplay department, this one is actually a game that can be recommended to people.

Story wise it was pretty simple, basically just a side story to Fate/Extella focusing almost completely on Charlemagne but Charlie is a pretty lovable character so it worked fine. Even the original game didn't have much of a good story outside of the Altera arc, and that was also because she is a lovable character. Altera's face is on the gold trophy, clearly whoever decided which face goes on which trophy had impeccable taste.

It unlocked the Very Hard difficulty and 30 new side missions so I've got a lot to do if I want to 100% the game. I'll probably just use Young Altera and her normal form to do all of it, I'll fit Scathach in there somewhere. Maybe Iskandar since he was super fun to use. Might leave it for another time, I waited a year or so before doing the same thing in Extella.

Bandana Waddle Dee

• The Legend of Dee
  • Shine Sprite
  • YoshiFlutterJump
    • View Profile
« Reply #1910 on: April 08, 2019, 11:27:57 PM »
Super Mario Galaxy

Beat this game, completing my 3D Mario marathon now that I can say I've beaten every 3D Mario.  I feel that my enjoyment of this game has been hindered by the fact that I played its infinitely better sequel first, which had much more challenge, more variety, more stars, and better level design.  Nonetheless, I still enjoyed my run through Galaxy 1, and it's as great as all the other 3D Mario games.  As with Sunshine, I appreciated this game's spin on the traditional Mario story, and something about that final cutscene was just so emotional, which is admittedly a rare sight for me when I play games.

In fact, seeing that every 3D Mario game is that great, it's going to be really hard to rank them.  But hey, now that I've beaten them all, I might as well try.

Galaxy 2 > Sunshine > 64 > 3D World > Odyssey > Galaxy > 3D Land

Sakura Matou

• The Imaginary Element
  • Celestial Guide
  • Crackin355
    • View Profile
« Reply #1911 on: April 12, 2019, 01:38:49 AM »
Fate/Extra CCC

It's really a god dang shame this game didn't get a proper english translation. If it had one I could easily call this one of the most enjoyable experiences but having to follow an out of game so-so translation and using a translate app for character-specific things left me feeling like this game really got given the shaft. Maybe one day there will be a proper attempt to make an english fan-patch.

I finished Extra feeling like I didn't need to ever play the game again and I finished CCC feeling like I would really like to play it again one day (ideally in english). Overall it was far more polished, almost like the original game was just a prototype (gameplay-wise and story-wise) for CCC to build off of. I chose Caster in both games, she was much more balanced and playable in CCC. She was cute in both games though.

It's interesting for a game to take on love as its main theme, it definitely stretched that one idea throughout the entire 25 hours but it's surprising how they never really retraced their steps the further the game went on. I guess it helped that having AI characters that are born with no understanding of love let them explore the more extreme corners of the theme without it seeming out of place. Not that they don't get weird with it. Secret Gardens are weird as *bleep*. But it's consistent with the rest of the game. It definitely does get very heavy and depressing around the mid-point, uncomfortably so.

I wouldn't recommend this game to anyone as it is right now though, it's a bit too much of a commitment (play Extra first lol, use a wordpress translation lol) even if it's a great game. I'll miss hearing Tamamo's stupid voice.

Glowsquid

• Dans une galaxie prŤs de chez vous!
  • Global Moderator
  • Shine Sprite
    • View Profile
    • http://darkadia.com/member/glowsquid
« Reply #1912 on: April 13, 2019, 07:11:51 PM »

Nemesis is a 1990 shmup on the Game Boy thatís part of the Gradius series. Typical of Game Boy games of its time, it features 5 stages that take around 25 minutes to clear and music largely lifted from the earlier games, although the level and bosses are brand new.

I think itís pretty cool! The play mechanics are solid as ever and though itís simple and not particularly ambitious, itís not creatively bankrupt either: the organic stage is quite different from other uses of that theme in the series and the bosses (beside the first, whoís just a retread of Big Core) look and fight quite unlike anything else before or after. I also think itís the first game in the series to try to change up the subsequent loops by tweaking enemy spawns (albeilt only lightly) instead of just adding suicide bullets and making everything faster and tougher.

Difficulty-wise, itís pretty relaxed by Gradius standards: I was able to clear the first loop in one life and also beat the second on my first credit before getting bored. This is mostly thanks to the abundance of power-ups: it never feels like you canít recover from death, which is something I canít really say about most other gradius games.

The GB-ified classic tunes are competently arranged and the graphics are very nicely detailled, with the bosses in particular looking good. This does come at a heavy cost however: the game runs at 30 FPS and though you get used to it, it's pretty disorienting at first and not ideal. Also the sound for the Laser is horribly annoying but laser is useless anyways

But yeah, Nemesis is a pretty good shmup on its own merits and does the series proud. Recommended.
Rest in peace, Walkazo.

Leo Luster

• You're gonna stop because that's what you do when you're faced with an irresistible force
  • King Bowser
  • Shy Guy on Wheels
  • And irresistible is what I am baby
    • View Profile
« Reply #1913 on: May 09, 2019, 03:00:09 PM »
Mario Kart: Double Dash!!

I've got a Gold Trophy on every cup (besides the All-Cup tour in 50cc and 100cc), meaning I've unlocked everything.

The spiral around the pipe in Rainbow Road is one of the scariest things I've ever experienced in Mario Kart.

J-Yoshi64

• Just Call Me J
  • Dry Bowser
  • Always remembering Walkazo
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #1914 on: May 11, 2019, 12:36:16 AM »
World of Light
My final 3 fighters were my Mii Brawler of myself, my Mii Gunner as my OC Kayla/KK, and Pichu.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
May Walkazo always be remembered on MarioWiki for years to come.
Follow me because I'm not a narcissist: https://twitter.com/JYoshi64 https://www.deviantart.com/just-call-me-j

supermariofan

• Dry Bowser
    • View Profile
« Reply #1915 on: May 11, 2019, 02:06:43 AM »
Bubsy 3D

Never in my life had I played a game that has frustrated me, pissed me off, and annoyed the living *bleep* out of me! Iím not just jumping on the hate train for this game, this game is a frustrating, mind numbingly broken pile of elephant *bleep* with awful level design, random platforms, underwater levels that had no reason to be
underwater levels, some of the worst enemy placements, and some of the worst controls I ever experienced! Donít give me that bull*bleep* of it being tank controls! Tomb Raider on PS1 has tank controls!
 Tank controls you can adapt to once you get the hang of it, and it had a reason to use that mechanic! This game has no idea what the *bleep* kind of game it wants to be! Does it want to be a collect a thon like Super Mario 64 and Banjo Kazooie?! Or does it want to be a platformer to just get to the end goal to reach the next level?! 

The enemy placements...Jesus...H...SANTA CHRIST!!! The worst areas you could EVER place an enemy is either a checkpoint or at the beginning of a level! BAAAAAAAD!!That is BAAAAAAD enemy placement! When youíre at a checkpoint or the start of a level, youíre supposed to have moments to BREATHE!! But no! This game doesnít give you...ANY moment to breathe or take your mind time! You simply wonít have any time to react!

And whatís my reward for having to go through all this pain, misery and torture?! An ending that tells you that everything you went through is all for NOTHING!! ......NOTHING!! Because Bubsy gets stranded to a different timeline and the Woolies are like ďWOO HOO!! The Earth is ours!Ē Uhhh two things:

1. Would it have made a difference considering the amount of times Iíve died throughout this game?!

2. What kind of bull*bleep* slap in the face ending is that?! The goal to this game is supposedly made like any platformer, reach to the final level, beat the boss and you feel victorious! How the *bleep* am I supposed to feel when in the end...I lose anyway?! Iím all for going a different direction with an ending, but if it means to tell me (the player) that I wasted hours of my life adapting to your *bleep*ty controls and unforgiving enemy placements?! Accolade you can just kiss my ass!!

I cannot believe I beat this *bleep*fest...in one sitting...just to get an ending that laughs in my *bleep*ing face!

*bleep* BUBSY 3D!! Worst PS1 game! Worst 3D platformer! WORST. *bleep*ING. ENDING!!!

Revenant Archagent

• Back in Action
  • King Bowser
  • ArchagentEverlasting
  • Your favorite travel guide guy
    • View Profile
    • Travel Guide with Archagent
« Reply #1916 on: May 13, 2019, 03:34:03 AM »
DBFZ...

The story mode sucked, but the gameplay is fantastic. Definite must buy for people missing the whole MvC feel fighters.

winstein

• Power Star
  • Justice is not limited, it is a universal quality
    • View Profile
« Reply #1917 on: May 15, 2019, 12:06:29 PM »

Puzzler World 2 (PC)

Also available on: DS, iOS

The sequel to Puzzler World, this game contains another batch of puzzles, but it has a higher quantity of them compared to the first game: not only are there 560 main puzzles plus another 560 bonus puzzles, there are Master Mode where the main puzzles are more difficult than the Challenge Mode puzzles. This is in contrast to how the first game's bonus puzzles are far easier than the Challenge puzzles, which makes this game a lot more challenging.

The puzzle distribution is a bit better than the first game, which I felt has a bad balance such as having too many of Wordfinder puzzles (the distribution is 4 out of 16). The game's distribution is a bit better thanks to having a few new types of puzzles, and the dialing back of Wordfinder puzzles (3:16 ratio), though I still felt that there are too many Sudoku puzzles (3:16 ratio), plus it cut out Codeword, which is disappointing because I liked that one. It wouldn't be until the 2013 version where there are 16 unique main puzzles, evening out any distribution issues that both World games have. Sadly it's not on Steam despite being on the PC, since the game can only be purchased from a different website.

The game also has a revamped reward system, where instead of choosing from one of three presents for either 5 coins, 10 coins or a Puzzler letter, there is a spinning wheel which you can control. Because of its manual control, a savvy player could land on wedges that grants either a Puzzler letter or a lot of coins (25, 50 or 75) instead of 10 coins, which takes up half of the wedges interspersed between the letter wedges (which there are 4 of) and the larger numbers. The only drawback is that the game only rewards them after the bonus puzzle instead of both main and bonus. Not only is the player rewarded through bonus rounds, they can also be rewarded if they solve enough puzzles, which actually makes it far easier to max out the coins, so I had to spend them on hints. That is fine by me, because hints, in many cases, reduce the time to solve the puzzle, especially in Sudoku since its pricing is pretty generous compared to a lot of puzzles (for your info: 20 coins fills a box of numbers). Silhouette is even more generous with what you get, but it's also super easy to solve (for 20 coins, 3/4 of the dotted areas are filled).

I have to admit that this game felt like a slog to go through, especially the Link-A-Pix puzzles which involve connecting the numbers to their respective colours, since its hint system is a bit stingy on that one. The worst part is that the game cannot truly be complete, because the Master Mode puzzles are bugged: in the puzzles where the puzzle selection can be scrolled, extra puzzles are invisible to the player, and solving them doesn't count for completion so I just solved all the main puzzles and consider it complete.

Thank you for reading.
(Credit goes to Alex95 for this signature)

Bandana Waddle Dee

• The Legend of Dee
  • Shine Sprite
  • YoshiFlutterJump
    • View Profile
« Reply #1918 on: May 19, 2019, 09:43:43 PM »

Kirby and the Rainbow Curse (Wii U)

Beat this game, and loved every second of it.  Or at least I would say that, if I had done the whole thing in single player.  However, I did a lot of it in multiplayer, and while that definitely had some upsides, there are downsides too.  For example, special minibosses called Grab Hands will show up at certain points in the game during multiplayer.  Kirby can't attack them at all, so you have to rely on your Waddle Dee buddies to help you out.  And if they decide to be incompetent fools and just let them take you away while they make some humongous grins...you'll naturally grow a passion for hating Grab Hands.  Also, certain levels such as Wonder Space (7-3) are clearly not designed around multiplayer, and are a total nightmare when you have three Waddle Dees playing with you...which I did at that point.  But it's still multiplayer, and it's pretty well designed for the most part, so I still had a fun time.

Anyway, some other things I liked about this game.  The story is pretty dang great; while it's not super dark like most Kirby games nowadays, it's still unique and sometimes even gets a little emotional.  I'll put a summary in a spoiler tag, just in case there's someone else who happens to be playing a 2015 Wii U game in 2019 (or perhaps in case of the unlikely event that they port the game to Switch).

Another strong point of the game was the collectibles.  Most stages have five treasure chests (although some stages only have four, while boss stages have none).  Each treasure chest contains either a collectible figurine or a music track.  The figurines are a lot like Smash trophies being 3D models with a full 3D camera and flavor text.  The music tracks are legacy remixes from past Kirby games, and interestingly, one of the tracks is even a remix of another Rainbow Curse track.  There's one other collectible, the pages of Elline's Secret Diary, and these are my favorite by far.  Rather than obtaining them from treasure chests, the diary pages are obtained at the Goal Game at the end of every stage.  Every normal stage has its own diary page to collect, so if you miss it in the Goal Game roulette, you'll have to start the stage over to receive its diary page.  But it's definitely worth it; Elline's diary is just the prettiest thing to look at, due in part to the fact that everything on the page, even the text, animates.  Looking at a picture of one of the pages on the Internet really isn't the same experience.  Trust me, filling up the diary is well worth the effort.

The soundtrack may very well be my favorite part of the game.  Remember how I said that this game has some collectible legacy remixes?  That's just the icing on the cake.  The game itself has a soundtrack that holds its own; it not only has the best soundtrack of any Kirby game by far, but it has one of the best soundtracks I've ever heard from a game, period!  The final boss theme in particular is absolutely amazing, and is sure to give Zero-Two and Void Termina a run for their money.  But really, listen to literally any track in the game, and you'll have a pretty good idea of just how great the soundtrack is as a whole.  Man, HAL has got to hire these composers to work on other Kirby games!

And who would I be if I didn't mention the gameplay?  The gameplay might be the most unique thing about the game.  If you've ever played Canvas Curse, the gameplay here is pretty similar.  You draw lines on the screen for Kirby to roll on, and you tap him to make him perform a Dash attack.  When you collect 100 stars, Kirby will charge up a very powerful Star Dash, which you can execute by holding down Kirby with the stylus.  As mentioned before, there's multiplayer too; players 2, 3, and 4 can play as differently-colored Bandana Waddle Dees.  Bandana Waddle Dee's controls are much more traditional than Kirby's; D-Pad to move, 1 to attack, and 2 to jump.  They can jump multiple times (but not infinitely), walk on the rainbow ropes created by player 1, and can pick up and throw Kirby.  There are also multiplayer-exclusive minibosses called Grab Hands, and I've already explained before how awful they are if you're player 1.  But my siblings seem to really enjoy them because I'm completely useless when fighting them, so there's that too, I guess.

That about sums up everything I have to say about this game (the clay-themed aesthetics are also absolutely beautiful, but I'll let you judge that for yourself).  Probably my favorite Kirby spinoff there is, and easily cements itself as one of my favorite games of all time.

Forde

• Chill cavalier who just likes paintings, sleeping and apparently speaks to himself a lot. That's definitely not Koops.
  • Shine Sprite
  • Koops
  • Look at Seth! He's soloing the game again!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1919 on: May 20, 2019, 09:20:13 AM »

Ok... Fire Emblem: Blazing Sword...

Spoiler:  long post (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 09:23:21 AM by Koops »