Items?

When playing any Super Smash Bros. game for fun, do you play with items or no items?

• With items

Votes: 13 59.1%
  • Without items

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Limit some items (ex. only playing with projectiles; playing without healing items, etc.)

Votes: 8 36.4%

• Total voters

Anton

kero?
Chat Administrator
Core 'Shroom Staff
In order to settle an argument with my suitemate, when playing any Super Smash Bros. game for fun, do you play with items or no items?

My vote is with items, even if it's a Tourney match. My suitemate's argument is that they're "not fair", which I think is a silly reason. My reason is that items add some uniqueness to each match, rather than droning through the same thing over and over. I respect either opinion, even though I may disagree with it and will probably argue against it if I don't like it, lol. The point of this poll is to just gauge what people like.

If I'm playing seriously, I'll turn the items off. If not, then I'll turn the items on, but take off certain items.

I turn some items off. Mainly the ones I don't find useful (Smoke Ball, Deku Nut,) and ones that are obviously overpowered (Dragoon).

I was tempted to put the other stipulation that my suitemate uses--only Final Destination.

Only. Every battle. No items, either. Even when in our room playing for fun. >:[ FINAL DESTINATION IS SOOOOO BOOOOORINGGGGG D:

Yoshiwalker said:
Without, but only because Javelin will only play without. >:|

Hypnotoad said:
I was tempted to put the other stipulation that my suitemate uses--only Final Destination.

Only. Every battle. No items, either. Even when in our room playing for fun. >:[ FINAL DESTINATION IS SOOOOO BOOOOORINGGGGG D:

I guess that's one good thing about playing by myself. I don't have to make any comprimises. I can play however I want.

Yeah, making a compromise always takes forever. We argue more than we actually play :( . That's why I just like playing on my own as well. I do what I want and if I lose no one sees it

Yoshiwalker said:
This is true. I am adamant about not using items. Hypnotoad, you say that it makes the game more bland, but personally I find that it removes most instances of "hax" and allows for pure skill. When your opponent gets a star or hammer, the game just isn't as fun anymore. I even feel bad about using these items to beat up on my opponent, it just feels...dishonorable. I didn't win because of my own skill, I won because of luck. Which is not real success to me.

Pretty much the only things I turn on are Poke Balls and other Mario-themed items except those damn Poison Mushrooms. Sometimes I turn on the Dragoon if I feel like it. On rare occasions I might turn on explosive items.

Jack Noir said:
Yoshiwalker said:
This is true. I am adamant about not using items. Hypnotoad, you say that it makes the game more bland, but personally I find that it removes most instances of "hax" and allows for pure skill. When your opponent gets a star or hammer, the game just isn't as fun anymore. I even feel bad about using these items to beat up on my opponent, it just feels...dishonorable. I didn't win because of my own skill, I won because of luck. Which is not real success to me.

And using items takes no skill at all? What about avoiding them? My suitemate hates pokeballs because of Weavile. He says it's not fair because he can't avoid it. That just tells me that he sucks and can only function under strict settings that he's played under for hundreds of hours, not that the item is unfair. THE THING RUNS BACK AND FORTH IN A STRAIGHT LINE AFTER STANDING THERE FOR A FEW SECONDS, GIVING YOU TIME TO AVOID IT. He's just mad because he only plays on Final Destination, where that specific pokemon wrecks. Simply jump up and hover for a few seconds. DONE.

In the case of a star or hammer, simply avoid it. Perhaps it's easier for me since I usually play as Lucas, and he can jump around under my control fairly well and I can evade really easily. I'm not sure about other characters, though.

And since you just seem to be concern about OHKO items, why not simply get rid of just those rather than all of them?

With Items
I personally think items do require skills. If you had skills you should know how to avoid items, survive them (Thunderbolt and Timer) and grab them before the rest. Plus its a bit funner with.

Hypnotoad said:
And using items takes no skill at all? What about avoiding them? My suitemate hates pokeballs because of Weavile. He says it's not fair because he can't avoid it. That just tells me that he sucks and can only function under strict settings that he's played under for hundreds of hours, not that the item is unfair. THE THING RUNS BACK AND FORTH IN A STRAIGHT LINE AFTER STANDING THERE FOR A FEW SECONDS, GIVING YOU TIME TO AVOID IT. He's just mad because he only plays on Final Destination, where that specific pokemon wrecks. Simply jump up and hover for a few seconds. DONE.

In the case of a star or hammer, simply avoid it. Perhaps it's easier for me since I usually play as Lucas, and he can jump around under my control fairly well and I can evade really easily. I'm not sure about other characters, though.

And since you just seem to be concern about OHKO items, why not simply get rid of just those rather than all of them?
It's not because of how hard it is to avoid an attack with an item, it's that your opponent or you can suddenly have a random advantage. If a Poke Ball lands on the other side of the field, and your opponent is closer to it, and then he uses the Poke Ball and out pops Kyogre, you can't exactly dodge that.

Plus the fact that you have to dodge it at all is unfair. You opponent, meanwhile, can either coordinate his attack with the Pokemon or charge up an attack such as Samus's power shot.

I must say that the people who only let you play on Final Destination are crazy, there are plenty of levels that can't kill you that are perfectly fine, such as Luigi's Mansion. That does take skill, to play with the terrain.

Well, duh, I play with items. Matches are too anti-climatic without them. I usually restrict it to only Smart Bombs and Blast Boxes. Them combined makes a majestic picture like this

al_090408_09072binout-1.jpg

I play with items, always. If I'm playing it seriously, I'll limit them to only essentials (things like Smash Ball.) Granted, all item effects can be avoided with skill.

An actually good Smash Bros player is able to adapt his strategy on the fly based on what items spawn and what his opponent gets. That's part of what separates Smash Bros from "real" fighting games like Street Fighter and anyone who complains about items is missing the point of Smash Bros so hard it's not funny.

How about items in tournament play? As I already said, I still would want to use them. I would compromise with getting rid of the OHKO items, but that's about as far as I'll go. My reasons are pretty much the same as items in playing for fun--items require strategy, and in a tournament play, if you can't adapt to items, you're not some great and almighty brawl winner that you think you are. It means you can only win under certain settings and not the game to its full potential.

My game club on campus hosts a Brawl tournament every so often, and the rules typically are 1) No items 2) Final Destination ONLY 3) 3 lives. There's some talk about allowing various maps (except the ones where the maps are really easy to die on without player intervention) as well as the use of items, namely the Smash Ball, since that's technically part of the character you pick.

This topic just reminded me of a Smash Bros. Dojo quote which was, "Real men use items!"

Some items are alright and some aren't. Ones that are completely random should not be allowed in my opinion, such as the Poke Ball. Yes, most of the time you get a perfectly dodgeable Pokemon but when you or your opponent gets Kyogre on a small stage, it's a OHKO, essentially.

Smash Balls are a grey area for me; I say that they should be allowed in group matches and not in 1v1 because in 1v1, it's a major advantage for the one who obtains it while in a 4-player FFA it's not quite as effective because there's more of a chance you won't be the target of the attack.

With items. Most of the time I don't turn on the Smash Balls though, because there are quite a few cheap Final Smashes (I'm looking at you, Sonic.)

Personally, I love to turn on all the explosive items to annoy my friends. But that's just me.

Pit said:
With items. Most of the time I don't turn on the Smash Balls though, because there are quite a few cheap Final Smashes (I'm looking at you, Sonic.)

Personally, I love to turn on all the explosive items to annoy my friends. But that's just me.

I love Samus's Final Smash. When you get hit with it, it's like "OH #@*&."

I really dislike Smash Balls because the CPU gets them all the time, especially after they are KO'd. This drives me nuts.

Back