Author Topic: Suggestions for Next Year  (Read 17974 times)

Honoka's #5 Fan

• Retired Wiki Staff
  • Celestial Guide
  • Raven Effect
  • That's what I call hamburgers
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestions for Next Year
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2011, 10:31:25 PM »
I like the old obscure video game award idea it's nice to give some publicity to little known games  
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 10:34:44 PM by Gillbergfan »

Marioguy1

• 'Shroom Core Staff
  • Shine Sprite
  • Leo
    • View Profile
    • Userpedia - The Wiki about MarioWiki Users
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2011, 10:35:31 PM »
I don't see how that's a problem, it just means Nintendo is making bettewr and better game s :)

Also, since apparently nobody else does,

SMB made a topic like this last year, so...

What do you guys suggest we do next year?
i c wut i did here

Kyoka Jiro

• No crime is graver than eating another man's lettuce.
  • #mwchat Operator
  • Star Spirit
  • Master Crash
  • The Dragon of the West
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2011, 10:36:27 PM »
like someone else said elsewhere, have strict quality policies for A30
That was me in the Awards staff channel tonight.

We cannot have low-quality presentations close our ceremony. Make the quality policies for A30 stricter than for other Awards.

We cannot restrict the Awards to just the users. It will not happen.

Also, I stand completely against cutting down the amount of awards.

How about instead of getting their own presentations... Some of the "lesser" awards could just be squeezed into another presentation's post to shorten the ceremony's time?

I made this suggestion in the chatroom, but how about a "second place" award? Say next year you take a certain amount of nominations that placed in second this year and pit them against each other?

YoshiGo99

• Shine Sprite
  • Hey, Hello, Hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2011, 10:39:38 PM »
there should be best Mario vs DK game

Honoka's #5 Fan

• Retired Wiki Staff
  • Celestial Guide
  • Raven Effect
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2011, 10:40:11 PM »
there should be best Mario vs DK game
Nah that series isn't popular/big enough

YoshiGo99

• Shine Sprite
  • Hey, Hello, Hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2011, 10:46:55 PM »
Well I am not so good at thinking of things

Honoka's #5 Fan

• Retired Wiki Staff
  • Celestial Guide
  • Raven Effect
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2011, 10:47:52 PM »
Well I am not so good at thinking of things
On the other hand that's just my opinion i have exactly zero power over the awards

SKmarioman

• King Bowser
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2011, 11:04:42 PM »
Maybe a "Favourite Platformer World" for Mario Awards and "Worst Platformer World" for the Fail awards would be nice.
"Our soup of the day is chicken noodle" "Is there wavedashing in the soup?"
"Excuse m-" "Can the crackers l-cancel?"

Honoka's #5 Fan

• Retired Wiki Staff
  • Celestial Guide
  • Raven Effect
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2011, 11:08:43 PM »
Worst Educational game that could work i think

Ralph

• Peese shut mouf
  • Donkey Kong
  • ralphfan
  • Thank you based god
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2011, 11:16:58 PM »
Ralph, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't you tell MCS that anybody could vote for the awards?

Does that include guests on the Wiki? If it does, the voting privlige should probably only be given to actual users on the wiki. That might have been why people were unhappy with some of the results (i.e. Mario Party 8 being voted "Best Mario Party").

Well, allowing guests to vote is the difference between 100 and 1,000 voters.

like someone else said elsewhere, have strict quality policies for A30

Sounds good.

We cannot restrict the Awards to just the users. It will not happen.

Yup.

Well, we could go with 60 again next year, but we are definitely not expanding it to more.  I also think the fewer polls we have, the more votes we get.  If you went further and further down the voting page, the number of votes continued to shrink.

Marioguy1

• 'Shroom Core Staff
  • Shine Sprite
  • Leo
    • View Profile
    • Userpedia - The Wiki about MarioWiki Users
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2011, 11:57:13 PM »

Well, we could go with 60 again next year, but we are definitely not expanding it to more.  I also think the fewer polls we have, the more votes we get.  If you went further and further down the voting page, the number of votes continued to shrink.
And believe it or not, as we go further and further down the voting page, the awards get less generalized. We start with awards that anyone can vote on. Then move on to awards that only Userpedia readers can vote on. Then continue to awards that only 'shroom readers can vote on.

Ralph

• Peese shut mouf
  • Donkey Kong
  • ralphfan
  • Thank you based god
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2011, 11:59:30 PM »
Yes, but even within the categories vote totals get lower.

I also think there are a few awards that need replacing, or, should we decrease to 55 or 50 Awards, be removed, most notably:

-Favorite Retro Issue
-Worst Remake
-Worst Other Medium
-Worst Baby

Worst Spin-Off has also been the same thing all three years.  I think we should change not only awards that just weren't too popular, we should also try to change awards that have had the same results again and again.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 12:02:30 AM by centaursTesticle »

Honoka's #5 Fan

• Retired Wiki Staff
  • Celestial Guide
  • Raven Effect
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2011, 12:03:07 AM »
Yeah the Worst Other Medium awards is pretty pointless i think the Super Mario Bros. Movie has won it every year in a landslide

Super Mario Bros.

• Retired Wiki Staff
  • Core 'Shroom Staff
  • Shine Sprite
  • Oh boy! Haha!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2011, 01:42:01 AM »
Expansion, or just not cutting, is not rocket science. It can be easy to do, uses easy concepts and formulas that have proven to improve this year's ceremonies, and mobilizing support for the system upon expansion.

Hypothetically, let us say there will be 30 Mario Awards, 10 Userpedia Awards, 15 Fail Awards, and 10 'Shroom Awards (for a total of sixty five awards) next year. Again, this is hypothetical, not an exact proposal.

You know how Ralph likes the Main Page poll rotation every year? That was a nice idea I invented. It worked well and boosted vote count for Mario and Fail Awards, but we did not carry out its full intention. Ralph likes to say that most of our voters cannot handle too many polls because of low attention-spans or an impatience: the Main Page poll rotation idea I wanted to implement would partially override these concerns in the case of an expansion of the amount of Awards.

So next year, we have voting from 1 June - 30 June (30 days of voting). This is extremely easy to determine a rotation schedule.

• 30 voting days divided by 30 Mario Awards = Rotating one Mario poll on the Main Page every day.
  • 30 voting days divided by 10 Userpedia Awards = Rotating one Userpedia poll on the Main Page every three days.
  • 30 voting days divided by 15 Fail Awards = Rotating one Fail poll on the Main Page every two days.
  • 30 voting days divided by 10 'Shroom Awards = Rotating one 'Shroom poll on the Main Page every three days.

Mario and Fail would obviously fit on the Main Page. Userpedia would not go on the Super Mario Wiki Main Page, but rather, the Userpedia Main Page. The 'Shroom could go on either Main Page, or perhaps both to pick up the amount of votes. This helps making voting easy, spreading it out so that there is not a huge intimidating voting page having to be used, and allowing every category to have a fair chance to increase voting.

And then let us continue. Low sign up right? That is a myth. What it really was, was a low campaigning rate. Ralph came to me and said that we were not getting sufficient sign ups. I told him I had a remedy. What was that remedy? Invite each member the 'Shroom writing staff to take on at least one award: my advertisement was simply "Help The 'Shroom, help the Awards, and help your Director". This plea to my writing team ended up helping to build the momentum that got our sign ups filled completely.

And that was just a few minute's effort. Filling up the sign-ups by exerting a minute's effort. Imagine what things would be like if we invested more time into campaigning to get sign ups. Two easy targets would be 'Shroom staff and Userpedia staff. Two teams abundantly filled with aspiring writers, and we barely tried to advertise to them in the manner I did when Ralph asked me to fix that problem. This is a resource that needs to be tapped into, and if we do, we could easily expand and not have a problem with sign-ups.

Finally, attendance was an issue? I think I know why.

We have community-based awards and awards based on what the Super Mario Wiki covers. And Userpedia Awards were absolutely mishandled and mistreated. Often bundled with 'Shroom Awards or tournaments on wiki pages or forum topics, this is not how we appeal to our community. What we can do to appeal is simply this: respect the Userpedia Awards and The 'Shroom Awards, recognize them as being just as legitimate as Mario Awards and the Fail Awards, and do well with them.

Had the Userpedia Awards had an actual shot at not being the joke of the ceremony (again, because it was treated poorly, it was underrepresented, and was often lumped together with other Anniversary projects), I would have enabled Userpedia as open grounds for advertising these ceremonies. But I couldn't. It wouldn't be right to give a prize to an organization that stripped the ceremonies for the Userpedia wiki that I must represent as its leader.

Also, I've always had the train of thought that we should respect the seniority of each ceremony: the order of ceremonies being 'Shroom, then Fail, then Userpedia, then Mario. And what that does, is also staggers our focus: community, Mario, community, Mario. It would assist in the attendance "issue" by keeping in people longer to see what they want.

Tournaments and games should also not be planned by the Awards Committee, or attendance in such events be made compulsory: rather, users should apply to have the Committee sponsor their own tournament as an Anniversary event. It takes off the pressure from the Awards Committee to make tournaments, allows people who are skilled and wanting to host tournaments volunteer and put in what time they can to make it work, and allows the Awards Committee to approve or disapprove of specific tournaments for whatever reason. It is important we invest our time into the Awards as opposed to tournaments or games.

Seemingly, we've done a sort of process like that this year. But we need to make it something that can be done through an application process, rather than eat up meeting time to determine tournament or game stuff.

These are my suggestions for next year. This is what would truly allow us to improve. Last year, I got together a loose coalition of users wanting to expand either the Fail Awards, the Userpedia Awards, The 'Shroom Awards, or a combination thereof to convey our opinions. However, we proposed simply expanding the amount of awards without taking any action to solve any of the problems that would arise from such actions. These problems are the same ones that Ralph mentioned in opposition of expanding, and the same ones I have finally countered with solutions.

That is why we should now seriously consider expanding, since we now have solutions on the table for the problems that were brought up.

SMB artwork by Edofenrir.

Wayoshi

• Yoshius Maximus
  • Luma
  • PM Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2011, 02:18:26 AM »
SMB has a decent implementation for rotating the various awards, but 65 is just ridiculous.

The U's and S's are side attractions, F's and A's are the real meat. It's awesome that ralph was able to flow 60 awards in 6 hours (I'm really liking the 4-10 timeframe now), but he still had to do an award every 5 minutes, with overall very little downtime, to get this done. I think we'd all enjoy things more if it was just 50, honestly - that's 50 more free minutes, or 1/award (giving extra space to big awards and/or longer breaks), and the side attractions are the ones that can be halved, and molded into five legitimate, long-nominee list awards that encompass their entire aspects. In that sense I would have to say the order really should be U, S, F, and A. I understand alternating/staggering focus but... well, I am terribly biased against Userpedia...

I'm surprised to hear presentation sign-ups were hard to fill - I saw some very very good ones this year.

If you guys really want to think about a whole organized process for tournaments, etc. etc. and do more stuff to expand next year, I would suggest starting meetings at least a full month earlier than usual. Good luck! :)
^ ^

Ralph

• Peese shut mouf
  • Donkey Kong
  • ralphfan
  • Thank you based god
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2011, 02:24:26 AM »
I don't think we'd need to start meetings a month earlier for tournament.  I fact, I won't even be free on Friday nights in February.

Yoshidude99

• Celestial Guide
  • yoshidude99
  • Yoshidude is here
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2011, 03:03:39 AM »
We should have a favourite Paper Partner question.

Honoka's #5 Fan

• Retired Wiki Staff
  • Celestial Guide
  • Raven Effect
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2011, 03:08:57 AM »
We should have a favourite Paper Partner question.
We do Yoshi Kid always wins

Yoshidude99

• Celestial Guide
  • yoshidude99
  • Yoshidude is here
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 13, 2011, 03:10:09 AM »
Go Yoshi Kid. A new one favourite Power Shot.

Honoka's #5 Fan

• Retired Wiki Staff
  • Celestial Guide
  • Raven Effect
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 13, 2011, 03:13:10 AM »
Go Yoshi Kid. A new one favourite Power Shot.
How bout just sports move in general