11 (7.9%)
Rainbow Dash
30 (21.6%)
Rarity
17 (12.2%)
Fluttershy
33 (23.7%)

Total Members Voted: 137

Author Topic: My Little Pony Friendship is Magic  (Read 719058 times)

Gummy

• Dry Bowser
  • Snowstalker
  • Snowstalker
    • View Profile
Re: My Little Pony Friendship is Magic
« Reply #40 on: July 18, 2011, 11:05:55 PM »
Yeah, I usually skip the fanfics (most are boring, though I've actually seen some pretty good ones), and I've seen some...odd pairings. Big Mac/Zecora, Spike/Apple Bloom, Fluttershy/Bic Mac (the latter gets used a lot, being one of the few male ponies).

I do watch Brony Movie Night; look for someone named interior_gummy in the chat room (me, lol).

Northern Verve

• Princess of Magic
  • Star Spirit
  • SonicMario
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 21, 2011, 11:34:55 PM »
Some people are starting to ask this a little more frequently. "Why is My Little Pony is Popular"

While it's not easy to explain it all in one post as it's preferable to look up that answer but I'll try my best here.

Friendship is Magic is a cartoon that started back in Late 2010 headed by famed Animator Lauren Faust. If you've heard of her, she helped with award winning cartoons such as Powerpuff Girls, Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends. If you liked either of those 2 shows it's highly suggested you give FiM a look. Anyway, though it's not the fact that Lauren Faust is behind it on why it's popular. While it already gives it a good resume. FiM has some of the best writing, characterization and even it's humor is some of the best in years. Many of the older fans even saying that FiM ranks up with their favorite 90's cartoons back in the day. It is not the girly-girly bland crud that previous MLP shows were as Lauren tried her hardest to make this cartoon appeal to families. That includes the so-called "target" little girls/kids, including parents further more including MALE parents.

Trust me, most Bronies/Fans were skeptical at first. Do you think I was like "Oh a new MLP Show? I just know this is going to be awesome!" from the very beginning? Because I can very well tell you I was not. Yes there will always be the stubborn who will either think this is weird or even point fun at you. But with the sheer numbers of the fanbase growing those few haters will feel like nothing as you see how many including those even older then you getting into the show. This graph made by someone on Deviantart illustrates greatly how the fanbase works http://alfa995.deviantart.com/art/Twilight-s-black-hole-diagram-242941566

Anyway, it spread on the internet starting with 4chan after an article that bashed the fact creator-driven cartoons are ending which included FiM as one of it's targets. People on 4chan decided to check out the show and to many's surprise it hooked them and slowly but surely and steadily the craze around the show supposedly for "Little Girls" was getting fans including tons of male adult fans. Around March the fanbase really ramped up. By now it's hard to find a site that hasn't mentioned it at least once. It also became popular in the memetic communities where reaction faces galore were made from the show. For more information on both the history of the show and the rise of it in Meme-related stuff see this Know Your Meme page: http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/subcultures/my-little-pony-friendship-is-magic (Where it's listed as a Subculture even!)
Also the staff of the show know about the huge internet fanbase and embraced it with open arms. The fanbase and the staff are so tight that a simple animation mistake from Episode 1 on a grey Pegasus with Yellow mane and Tail with Bubbles for a cutie mark where she had derped eyes was noticed on 4chan and fannamed Derpy Hooves. It became so popular that from Episode 15 and on, "Derpy" was purposely given derped eyes for most of the rest of her apperences in Season 1. And now with Season 2 coming, Derpy will actually be included in the storyboard process as a Where's Waldo type of deal.

Really all this talking about it isn't even the best way to explain it. Really the best way to do so is to actually check out the show yourself. If your curious enough, I'd recommend seeing the first episode. After seeing the episode here's what you possibly can do depending how you felt about it

1. You liked it/found it somewhat interesting - If you did kinda like more things then one, it's highly recommended you see the 2nd Episode so you can see the ending of the Pilot. You can also decide to think of the character you liked to see and see episodes relating to them.

2. Didn't really enjoy it or Only found one thing/character interesting - If this happens well, if you even feel like going still pick the character  you did like and find episodes for them. Otherwise perhaps FiM isn't for you after all, at least you gave it a try and as long as you don't act like jerks to those who do like the show. You can move on. For those here still somehow wanting to get into ponies perhaps this comic applies to you http://ponibooru.413chan.net/_images/409634ae5922754b1a3befa361fa3366/32257%20-%20bronies%20comic%20married_to_the_sea.gif

Also, if and only IF you start liking it. It's natural that your going to feel a "Why do I like this?!" phase. And for those concerned on liking things like this I would like to post this quote from C. S. Lewis that could very well be relevent to the fans of this show

"Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

If this is tl,dr for you I'm sorry. It does take a bit of a long explanation for the show. Which is why actually trying out the show yourselves is the best way you can really see what's all the hype about. As just explaining it all in one post, etc. is not all that easy. Seriously if your that curious give the show a try at the most. If you didn't find it to your liking no biggie, at least you tried and again just don't be a jerk to those that do.

UltraMario

• Donkey Kong
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 09, 2011, 01:09:02 AM »
Imma so excited for season 2! <3.
epic

NintendoQueen

• Shine Sprite
  • NintendoQueen814
  • Gengar ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 09, 2011, 01:46:02 AM »
Ok I'm not trying to judge or be mean, but aren't a lot of you guys.....and you like My Little Pony??? 0.o  Just sayin'....I thought it was more a girl's thing...Unless I missed something here...?

UltraMario

• Donkey Kong
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 09, 2011, 02:19:47 AM »
Yes, it's actually not a horrible show. Men up to 20 watch this show. It's a well-written show with some actual character development, unlike the other intolerable, crappy MLPs of the past. :P. You should watch it and see what I mean by this. ;).
epic

NintendoQueen

• Shine Sprite
  • NintendoQueen814
  • Gengar ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 09, 2011, 02:21:53 AM »
Ok I believe you but, what I can't wrap my head around is that these teen guys like a PONY show?!

UltraMario

• Donkey Kong
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 09, 2011, 02:22:40 AM »
Yes. And it all started at 4chan...
epic

Herr Shyguy

• ◥▶̸̱◀◤
  • Star Spirit
  • ShyGuy27
  • The Cardinal is dead -- long live The Cardinal!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 09, 2011, 02:55:08 AM »
Almost every episode has a Youtube comment along the lines of "I am an ex-marine professional bear wrestler and I love MLP."

UltraMario

• Donkey Kong
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 09, 2011, 02:59:02 AM »
Almost every episode has a Youtube comment along the lines of "I am an ex-marine professional bear wrestler and I love MLP."
My response: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLTZctTG6cE
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 07:54:31 AM by Pinkie Pie »
epic

Javelin

• Level 5 Ranger
  • Donkey Kong
  • Dr. Javelin
  • Nathan Latsk
    • View Profile
    • Userpedia Page
« Reply #49 on: August 09, 2011, 08:57:00 AM »
Your giant comment has failed to sway me. Yes, I unfortunately have watched it when my 5-year-old cousins came over and I had to babysit them.

It was terrible, and I still honestly have no idea why people like it, even with your giant post. You say to pick one character who I'd like? I didn't like any of them. They were all simply these hyped up horses who are terrified of rabbits and enjoy living in their happy fairyland. Anyone above the age of 8, and maybe 9, should be embarrassed to say they like this show. This idiotic fad of liking it needs to end.

UltraMario

• Donkey Kong
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 09, 2011, 09:04:21 AM »
Trolling much?
epic

Javelin

• Level 5 Ranger
  • Donkey Kong
  • Dr. Javelin
  • Nathan Latsk
    • View Profile
    • Userpedia Page
« Reply #51 on: August 09, 2011, 09:06:11 AM »
Trolling much?
No, it's an honest opinion. I am choosing to finally speak out against this moronic pony fad, and I do hope that you will realize that you are quite misguided when you believe that there are more ponies than haters.

UltraMario

• Donkey Kong
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 09, 2011, 09:06:57 AM »
It's not even a fad, but more of a meme.
epic

Javelin

• Level 5 Ranger
  • Donkey Kong
  • Dr. Javelin
  • Nathan Latsk
    • View Profile
    • Userpedia Page
« Reply #53 on: August 09, 2011, 09:08:02 AM »
It's not even a fad, but more of a meme.
You changed you avatar because of a meme? Seriously?

I should change mine to a trollface, then.

UltraMario

• Donkey Kong
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 09, 2011, 09:09:49 AM »
Well, I changed my name to this because Pinkie is my favorite pony out of the mane cast. *pun intended*

Anyone that pretends to be an authority over what someone else should or should not like is most certainly fallible.
epic

Javelin

• Level 5 Ranger
  • Donkey Kong
  • Dr. Javelin
  • Nathan Latsk
    • View Profile
    • Userpedia Page
« Reply #55 on: August 09, 2011, 09:13:26 AM »
Anyone that pretends to be an authority over what someone else should or should not like is most certainly fallible.
Anyone person, indeed. The general consensus, why not? Most people I know wonder why the Pony thing is so overrated, and I have to agree with them.

Besides, you have given no good reason as to what the good points of the show are. I have watched it unfortunately, and I can tell anyone who hasn't that it's

OVERRATED!
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 09:15:12 AM by Dr. Javelin »

The Hero Of Time

• Star Spirit
  • Mariorules25
  • Hyaahhh
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mariowiki.com/User_talk:Bowser_jrs_number_1_fan
« Reply #56 on: August 09, 2011, 09:14:27 AM »
i have no intention of watching it  :o

UltraMario

• Donkey Kong
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 09, 2011, 09:15:05 AM »
I know it's overated, but not that overated.
epic

Mariomario64

• I have returned
  • Shine Sprite
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 09, 2011, 10:35:44 AM »
Wait a minute I didn't realize that this was a real show >_<
eeeeee

UltraMario

• Donkey Kong
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 09, 2011, 10:36:40 AM »
...wadda ya mean? What, didja ya think it was fake? 0_o.
epic