Author Topic: LeftyGreenMario's Anti-Wario propaganda (fan art thread)  (Read 4314 times)

Princess Mario

• Mushroom Kingdom's Most 🦄Fabulous🦄 Wario Killer
  • Donkey Kong
  • LeftyGreenMario
  • R.I.P. Walkazo December 16, 1991 - March 27, 2016
    • View Profile
    • RationalWiki
Re: LeftyGreenMario's Anti-Wario propaganda (fan art thread)
« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2019, 08:07:52 PM »
Well, this took me three days of near nonstop work, and the rigging hasn't started, but here it is, my second attempt of doing a 3d model of the older Yoshi.

This is my first attempt years ago, which is decent for an earlier model, but I wasn't 100% satisfied with the results and it always looked off in some angles. I also lacked some tools to really nail the look down, as I relied primarily on Maya to model, which is far from an easy task especially when you aren't quite familiar with modeling yet. Also, I didn't use texture tools at the time, relying primarily on painting the UV on Photoshop and viewing the result in Maya, a pretty cumbersome and old-fashioned task.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

But with the existence of Zbrush, I was able to sculpt a model that's far more accurate to the original, at least with the mesh. Since the mesh is relatively simple, this is just dynamesh sculpting.

Since that sculpt was well over a million polys, it can't be ported to any game and it can't really be all that animated. So I decimated the mesh and imported it to Maya, where I retopo the thing to a more reasonable amount of poly and also modeled the inside of its mouth. I also made some minor adjustments to the mesh.

After that was done, I did UV Unwrap with UVLayout and made some UV edits in Maya. The texture sheet looks like this.

Once I was satisfied, I fired up Substance Painter 2 and painted the textures.

And then I rendered the results with the built-in render, because why not! But enjoy. Well, just the pictures, the actual model still needs to be rigged. Otherwise, it's just a silly statue.

Revenant Archagent

• Back in Action
  • King Bowser
  • ArchagentEverlasting
  • Your favorite travel guide guy
    • View Profile
    • Travel Guide with Archagent
« Reply #41 on: May 26, 2019, 04:33:26 PM »
I am now glad they changed his design, because he looks pretty terrifying in 3D. Brilliant model!

Erdrick the Hero

• Gotta love that Dragon Quest series right? Favorite series that I've totally played probably.
  • King Bowser
  • Moldomré
  • The local Pink Yoshi Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
    • Planet Minecraft Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 26, 2019, 05:16:35 PM »
Moldo approves of this model.
Real good.

Princess Mario

• Mushroom Kingdom's Most 🦄Fabulous🦄 Wario Killer
  • Donkey Kong
  • LeftyGreenMario
  • R.I.P. Walkazo December 16, 1991 - March 27, 2016
    • View Profile
    • RationalWiki
« Reply #43 on: May 27, 2019, 05:33:55 PM »
I am now glad they changed his design, because he looks pretty terrifying in 3D. Brilliant model!
It's only terrifying because it never had a chance to really be in 3D. I hope I can give it that chance.

Moldo approves of this model.
Real good.
Good. Once I get it rigged and ported to Gmod then I can try to get it and  modern Yoshi pointing at each other.