Translation of obscure WarioWare content

Glowsquid

Shine Sprite
Retired Forum Mod
Retired Wiki Staff
'Shroom Consultant
The Japanese WarioWare: Smooth Moves site has a silly in-universe blog, which wasn't translated for the western site. It's referenced on the Mona page, but I'm sure it has interesting content for the other characters.

Any takers?

Re: Translation request: WarioWare Smooth Moves "blog"

And now I noticed there's a similar "diary" section on the Mega Microgames site. Translate it and I'll give you my worthless internet gratitude.

I have my doubts that Google Translate won't do the job for me. :P

I study japanese but I do not know enough to translate that.

I've just found out that Garlic Man/Marcelagus translated Ashley's blog entry (though not the accompanying comments) way back in 2008. That one's done, atleast.

Ashley: I'm... not interested in blogs... Red, you write...
Red: What, me? Why! Whatever.
Red: I'm Ashley's close friend, Red. I haven't told this to anyone, but Ashley is actually pretty lonely.
While we were experimenting with magic by the riverbed, we saw a freindly family of apes. Then, Ashley seemed to be looking far away.
I acted as though I hadn't noticed, but I know very well. She was probably thinking about her parents from her hometown. Ashley has more cuter characteristics than you may think!

Penny's blog and the comments. [?] indicates translations I'm not sure about (but no guarantee on the rest either), and [blah blah blah] is paraphrasing the Japanese so that it'll make sense in English. (stuff) is notes, etc. If I couldn't decide which possible translation would be more fitting implication-wise, I included both words with a slash.

I left honourifics in since subtle language use is sometimes useful; the only personal pronouns used were "atashi-tachi" (Ana referring to her and Kat: cute and girlie speak) and "Wate" (Dribble's Kansai-ben way of saying "I"). Speaking of which, Dribble's dialogue is a pain in the ass to translate and Ana says weird things sometimes ("hochi" instead of "hoshi"? And the whole last bit is a crap shoot)...

Nov. 30, 2006 (Thurs.)

Hello, nice to meet you! They call me Penny!

Today Dr. Crygor was on duty but he looked busy so I wrote the blog for him! Oh, Dr. Crygor is my grandpa! It’s often said that "[We’re] nothing alike".

(Caption:) Picture of Grandpa and I [when we] went to the sea in the summer.

Speaking of [?] Grandpa, it is said that he’s a pervert, a weirdo, [etc.], but he’s not like that at all, you know. His appearance is certainly a little strange/different, but [I think] he’s very smart, and he makes a lot of lovely inventions, and I RESPECT him a lot!

In the future, I want to be a respected/admirable scientist like grandpa! (But secretly, I also have a dream of wanting to become a singer.)

Comments

Dribble (note: he uses Kansai dialect)
My taxi was also/even remodeled [for me], I have always been well taken care of by Crygor-han, you know. However, the new functions put in [for me] are good but the repairs are taking time which is troublesome, ya know.

Ana
We wish [Crygor] would make something for us too.

Ashley
...[It looks like] you both were hot.

Penny
@Dribble-san
When you’re in a hurry, I’ll do the repairs!
@Ana-chan
Don’t you only use [things you] automatically throw at and hit enemies with [like] shurikens, etc.?
@Ashley-chan
Because grandpa’s clothes and my clothes are made of a special fiber, the temperature is always maintained at just the right temperature. It’s amazing, you know!

Ana
Hmm, that kind of thing seems like it would become boring [?]… Naturally, [it will be] good, [I think] [?].

The best part was when I came across Penny using "grandpa" and "hentai" in the same sentence, although after a moment of confusion I remembered it simply means "pervert"...

More to come, when I have another afternoon off.

Fantastic! Thank you.

^translation is mostly good, some inaccuracies

also ana is using baby talk, hence 'Hochii' and 'Yapacchi'

i can translate some of these too if i find the time

I've got another WW-related translation querry, though thankfully, it's far less consequent.

Anyone could translate the name shown in the first few seconds of this video? Google translate says it's something among the line of "Miiverse masterpiece collection", but well, google translate.

"Miiversketch Masterpiece Collection"

Christian Brutal Sniper said:
also ana is using baby talk, hence 'Hochii' and 'Yapacchi'
Ah, okay. Good to know.

EDIT: Okay, here's more translation. I didn't want to deal with Dribble's Kansai-ben so I skipped to Ashley's... but Red wrote it all and he uses the dialect too, blegh. Fortunately I remembered halfway through that Marcelagus already did that one and this is the two takes on it mashed together, plus the comments, but I was getting tired near the end and I'm presuming Kat also uses baby-speak because I don't know what the hell was going on with chunks of her part and just approximated it.

Notes in italics, [blah] is added stuff I wasn't sure about (or if it's kinda optional), and ["blah"] is more literal translations. Sorry if some bits are off.

Ashley: I’m [“Ashley”]… Not interested in blogs... Red, you write [it].

Red: (note: Kansai-ben) Eh, me? Why?! (or "Wha-" or "no way!" or "wtf"... every Internet source says a different thing...) …Eh, can't be helped. (or "c’est la vie.")

I’m Ashley’s close friend, Red. I haven't told this to anyone ["I'm only saying this here"], but Ashley is actually pretty lonely ["has the characteristic of looking lonely"].

This is a picture of when we were practicing magic today in the dry riverbed, but Ashley saw a friendly family [“parent-and-child”] of monkeys and got a far-away look in her eyes for a moment.

Photo caption: Ashley gazing at the family of monkeys. To the left is me!

I acted as though I hadn't noticed but I know fully well. For sure, she was remembering her mama and papa in her hometown. [Surely you agree that] Ashley also has cute characteristics!

Comments

Mona
Because my mama is always away from home due to work, I can sorta understand how Ashley-chan feels. When you feel lonely, don’t hesitate to come see me!

9-Volt
Wow, Ashley is independent! Mom is scary so I ["Boku-chan"] want to gain independence fast, ya know. And then I wish to be able to play lots of games.

Kat
I mistakenly thought Ashley was some kind of scary person but I’m reconsidering a little. (or something like that)

Ashley
…Everyone…I hate you.
@Red
Later, come here. (an order)

Red
Eeeep, please forgive me! [“forgiveness!”]

Nice. It's interesting how 9-Volt's comment foreshadow his minigame in Game & Wario.

Glowsquid asked me to translate this Ashley Wiiverse Sketch video, so here goes (square brackets is the Japanese itself, in cases where I'm not 100% sure of my translation goodness):

[image of a skull with two mouths]
「・・・クチが2個・・・あるわ・・・ ・・・あ・・・下のは・・・アゴ?」
...Two mouths... are here... uh.... the bottom one is... the chin?

[skull with on eye and hair]
「まだ・・・ホネじゃない・・・髪・・・生えてるし・・・」
...Later [mada]... it's not bone... hair... is growing and... (trails off) [haeterushi...]

[skeleton girl with pigtails]
「!?・・・これ・・・アシュリー?・・・かっこいい!」
!? ...This... is Ashley? ...Cool! ("That's me? Cool!")

[skull in front of rainbow]
「・・・アートね・・・」
...Art, ne... (I'd interpret it as "true art, isn't it?")

[sad face]
「ホネにしては・・・ふくよかね・・・」
...Considering it's bone [hone ni shite wa]... It's okay I guess [fuku yo ka ne]... (this one's a crapshoot)

[scribbly skeleton]
「・・・こわさが・・・足りない・・・ ・・・でも・・・キライじゃない・・・」
...Scaryness is.... not enough... but... I don't hate it...

Without looking at Walkazo's translation (so to not be influenced when doing my own), I've tried translating said video myself as well:

Theme: Skeleton

Picture #1:
...There's....two mouths....
...ah...the one on the bottom is...a jaw?

#2:
It's still...not bones... [It hasn't become bones yet]
There's still hair...growing...

#3:
!?...Is this...Ashley?
...Cool!

#4:
...Art...

#5:
...For bones it's rather...
Plump...

#6:
...Lacks...scariness...
...but...I don't dislike it...

Dawww, thanks you two!

Nintendo has uploaded a bunch more of these videos (Full list here). If anyone is interested...

Awesome, I only screwed up one bit (but I knew that one was a guess: I had no idea what "fuku" was supposed to be - it wasn't in any dictionaries).

The word is "Fukuyoka" (膨よか) and is an adjective in itself that means full, plump.

http://dictionary.goo.ne.jp/leaf/jn2/191959/m0u/

Ah. That word wasn't in my dictionary either (then I gave up and thought the "yo" and "ka" were particles. Fail).

I'm planning on adding a bunch of info about the obscure Japanese side-material on the Ashley page, and I'm wondering if her description on the official Japanese Touched! site has anything interesting.

Screencap in case it dissapears:

KziJygp.png

Quick and dirty translation because I'm at work so no dictionary, and I'm not gonna have time to do it when I get home. Square brackets are educated guesses:

[Touch what?]

Kyahou! I'm Red. This girl is my [mistress] Ashley. We live in the Horror House in Diamond City. Ashley is a witch [in training], and we are [preparing] witch's [magical] item "majoruka[/magic] soup". For our sake, help us collect mon[ster]s. Teach us where we can find interesting mon[ster]s.

??? touch

"...Ashley's game... collect mon[ster]s..."

No time for the last bit, I'm afraid. I think it's just instructions, tho.

Oh, doesn't look like there's anything of interest.

Thanks anyway~

The French cable channel NoLife has made an interview with Goro Abe and Yoshio Sakamoto as part of one of its shows. The content's paywalled though, so if anyone reading this is currently subscribed to NoLife or has seen the interview, I'd be very interested in getting details about it!

I wish I knew Japanese to help translate the blogs on the Mega Microgame$ site. Or at least enough to make sense out of what Google spat out. :???: Some of the interesting tidbits I've pieced together out of Google's butchering of 9-Volt's blog are from the March 13 and March 16 entries. The March 13 entry mentioned that it was his birthday (according to Google) or his mom's (according to other online translators) but it's very ambiguous on whose it is due to the translations. ^^; Maybe that can go under the Trivia section for the appropriate person once the ambiguity is cleared up? The March 16 entry is more concrete and it talks about his dad. According to Google's translation, his dad's a fireman and they had a disaster drill in the park where 9-Volt got to come along and was taught how to use a fire extinguisher and got to participate. I think that could go under his Trivia section after the accuracy of the translation is checked. I'll paste both entries here in case anyone's curious about them.

今日はぼくちんのママの誕生日だよ。
だからワリオにもらったゲームボーイアドバンスSPをプレゼントしたんだ!
ママもゲームが大好きだから、とっても喜んでたよ。
これでまたゲーム買ってもらえるかな?
ぼくちんのパパは消防士なんだ。 知ってた?
今日はダイヤモンドシティ公園で防災訓練があったから、
パパと一緒に行ってきたよ。
パパがまず消火器を使った消火の見本を見せてくれたんだ。
その後ぼくちんも消火器で火を消したよ!
火を消すのは楽しかったけど、実際に消火器を使わないと いけないときは楽しいなんて言ってられないよね。
いざという時にちゃんと消火器を使えるようにならなきゃね。

Herobrine said:
I wish I knew Japanese to help translate the blogs on the Mega Microgame$ site. Or at least enough to make sense out of what Google spat out. :???: Some of the interesting tidbits I've pieced together out of Google's butchering of 9-Volt's blog are from the March 13 and March 16 entries. The March 13 entry mentioned that it was his birthday (according to Google) or his mom's (according to other online translators) but it's very ambiguous on whose it is due to the translations. ^^; Maybe that can go under the Trivia section for the appropriate person once the ambiguity is cleared up?

It's his mom's. Wario got her a Game Boy Advance SP, which was well-received because she also loves games. I'm not sure about the last sentence, but I think he's wondering if Wario'll buy games for it, too. (that sounds like something Wario'd do)

As for the March 16th entry, what you described seems accurate. If I understand it correctly, it was fun, but using it to actually put out fires isn't necessarily fun, but it's important to know how to use one in case of emergency.

Junketsu said:
Herobrine said:
I wish I knew Japanese to help translate the blogs on the Mega Microgame$ site. Or at least enough to make sense out of what Google spat out. :???: Some of the interesting tidbits I've pieced together out of Google's butchering of 9-Volt's blog are from the March 13 and March 16 entries. The March 13 entry mentioned that it was his birthday (according to Google) or his mom's (according to other online translators) but it's very ambiguous on whose it is due to the translations. ^^; Maybe that can go under the Trivia section for the appropriate person once the ambiguity is cleared up?

It's his mom's. Wario got her a Game Boy Advance SP, which was well-received because she also loves games. I'm not sure about the last sentence, but I think he's wondering if Wario'll buy games for it, too. (that sounds like something Wario'd do)

As for the March 16th entry, what you described seems accurate. If I understand it correctly, it was fun, but using it to actually put out fires isn't necessarily fun, but it's important to know how to use one in case of emergency.
Thank you very much for clarifying the blog entries! Aww, that's really nice of Wario to get her a GBA SP! XD

Glowsquid asked me to do more of those Miiverse sketch translations, so here's Penny's, about Prince Shōtoku Taishi.

[guy with a baton and hat]
人がすさそうな太子さまですねっ!
The person is the virtuous-seeming Taishi-sama, ne~!

[person that looks like a cricket/baseball batter]
ボールを打とうとしているところでしょうか?
[They're] just about to strike the ball, aren't [they]?

[three people, like the Wikipedia image]
あの有名な肖像画かな?では真ん中が太子さまですねっ!
Isn't this the famous portrait? So, the one in the middle is Taishi-sama, ne~!

[large gown-wearing person]
この太子さまはきっとお金待ちだと思いますっ!
I think this Taishi-sama [looks] a little [like] a rich person~!

[person with a big baton]
かわいい!子供のころの姿でしょうか?
Cuuute! This is his childhood appearance, isn't it?

[a moustached Elvis-looking face]
私のマンションの管理人さんにそっくりです!
It's identical to my condo superintendent!

And Mona's, about King Tut (tsutankamen)

[staring face]
視線がコワイなあ…。
The gaze is SCARY...

[waving guy]
ずいぶん気さくね!
Very friendly, ne~!

[face with "tsutan" written next to it]
「ツタンでーす!」
"[I am] Tsutan(Tut)!"

[face with "kāmen" written under it]
「カーメンでーす!」って漫才師か!
"[I am] Kāmen!" [he] says[...] are [they] a manzai duo?
(manzai = a two-person standup comedy routine)

[sideways fish-looking sarcophagus]
棺と顔が一体化しちゃったのね。
The coffin and the face have been interrogated together, yeah[?]

[large face]
笑いをこらてるでしょ。
This has to endure laughter [(being laughed at)].

The grammar got funky a couple times, but for the most part, I think that's right.

Back