• I strongly prefer SMW

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • I have no opinion

Votes: 3 10.3%

• Total voters

Lord Bowser

listen
Banned User
so i've heard nothing but praise for both of these games pretty much everywhere, including here. but, i've never really seen much debate on which of these two is the superior game by popular opinion; this is why i wanted to make this thread. the question is simple; which game do you think is better, super mario world, or super mario bros. 3?

personally, i like both very much so, but i have a slight preference towards smw because of nostalgia; it was one of the first games i ever completed 100% and i have a lot of great memories with it. i love smb3 as well, and it's definitely a top-tier game, but i would rather pick up and play smw than smb3.

I prefer SMW, but SMB3 is still super great and they both earn top respects for how wonderful they are. something that the nsmb can not and will not ever achieve

Well this subject, at least its something else for once eh lb?

But i largely prefer smb3 for its rather more interesting worlds, more likable sprites, much better ost, more interesting challenge(although a bit spraratic), and just from overall game time.

Although i must say both have great level design and various interesting powerups, and lots of levels and really improving over the original and giving us some pretty important staples.

Id say smw has better control and the exits sure give it some more replay value, but ive played smb3 just way more and have more fond memories and its soundtrack is generally something i prefer way more.

Overall, both astounding games of the 2d platforming genre and i cant help but praise the hell out of both, but for now smb3 gets my vote.

SMB3 is the one I find myself replaying most.

I haven't beaten either of them, but I'm saying I prefer Super Mario World (A.K.A Super Mario Bros. 4).

Out of these two, I've only beaten Super Mario World (I should probably rectify that at some point...). Both have their own pros and cons, but both have plenty of levels, gimics, etc. If you want length and Yoshis, go with Mario World. If you want power-ups, Super Mario Bros. 3 (World only added, like, the Cape, I think, aside from the various Yoshis).

If you're talking specifically about the original games, go with Super Mario World, if nothing else than you can save. Newer releases of SMB3 introduce Mario World-like mechanics, so it really just boils down to personal preference and availability.

Lol the old 3 vs World argument

I like World more because of graphics, cape and music but otherwise they're pretty equal.

They're both okay, so I have no opinion. Though I don't think I can touch the originals; I'd have to play the Advance versions.

I greatly prefer Super Mario World than Super Mario Bros. 3 (talking about Advance versions), the main reason being that I've played the New Super Mario Bros. games first and while I do know it borrows a lot of elements from Super Mario Bros. 3, seeing those same mechanics again is really tiring, doesn't matter what age it's from. Plus, I absolutely hate that every time you die you're warped back to some part of the map, and it's pointless, irritating, and a time-waster for any player involved. It's irritating enough that you arbitrarily get kicked out of the level every time you die in the other Mario games, forcing unnecessary load times, but Super Mario Bros. 3 forces you to traverse to that level where you died again.

However, Super Mario World is totally eclipsed by my love for Super Mario Bros. 2.

3 is the one I had as a kid and I have a lot of fond memories of it. Went back to World after playing 64/Sunshine and found it pretty meh overall - secret exits and Yoshi's were nothing new. Went through the GBA version recently with my bf because he wanted to show me the Easter egg that you get after beating the special world but then we did it and realized you need to beat every level in the game to get it in GBA. Good times, goooooood times. The Star and Special worlds are pretty much the only things I found interesting in it.

Also the discolouration on the GBA SMW was really jarring (could have been my TV's fault but it's the only game I've seen this happen with so idk). It's really yellow, the original is nice and vibrant. The GBA SMB3 port is a lot nicer; I suspect it is All Stars SMB3 with a couple of Mario dialogue lines. I like how it lets me replay works after beating it so you can try a bunch of levels with different suits that you wouldn't get until later in the game, like the hammer bro suit in particular which is a nice addition over the NES version. Saving is incredibly nice as well

Luigi 64DD said:
Alex95 said:
(World only added, like, the Cape, I think, aside from the various Yoshis).
It also added the P-Balloon.
A poor man's P-Wing

I'm more of a World person myself, but it doesn't really matter because both of these games are amazing.

Two of the first classic Mario games I got my hands on were Super Mario Bros. 3 and Super Mario Bros., and I majorly enjoyed the former because even though the game was very hard for me, I could inch along and adapt to the large difficulty curve, and the game was overall very fun for me. I usually played it in my freetime, until I lost the game along with SMB when I sold my Wii.

Then I got Super Mario World on the Wii U Virtual Console, and even though the game sold itself as a Super Mario game for beginners, which was one of the reasons I bought it in the first place, the game was far more difficult than Super Mario Bros. 3, and the entire reason I even got to Roy's Castle in SMW (which I'm stuck on) in the first place was because of luck.

Additionally, SMB3 had more powerups and interesting gimmicks than Super Mario World, so in the end, I'd say SMB3 is just... better. I think the only thing going for SMW is it's graphics. That's not to say Super Mario World is a bad game, but it doesn't stand above Super Mario Bros. 3.

Due to the sheer amount of content present and nostalgia I have to go with World.

Back