worst Mario game?

Lemon

funny
Personally, my least favorite is Mario's Time Machine. It's overdue history assignments on a cartridge to be honest.

For official games I utterly despise SPM. I'll spare people the details as to why as everybody is well acquainted with it.

For unofficial, Mario is Missing. Good god is it boring.

Mcmadness said:
For official games I utterly despise SPM. I'll spare people the details as to why as everybody is well acquainted with it.

For unofficial, Mario is Missing. Good god is it boring.

Not sure if it's an official game series for Mario, but I personally dislike Mario vs. Donkey Kong. It's sort of boring, and Mario is NOT meant to be a puzzle game.

Officially and not some weird derp educational/CD-i crap? I say The Lost Levels ranks among them. It's essentially a kaizo romhack before kaizo romhacks became a thing.

I am prone to despise and mock New Super Mario Bros. 2, but it's not the worst. The worst is probs Hotel Mario. You know a game's bad when the only purpose of it's existence is to be made fun of.

I can already see the flak I'm gonna get for this.

New Super Mario Bros. Wii. It seems like they could have done so much more with it, but no. It's just another platformer with nothing new or special.

Bob McKenzie said:

New Super Mario Bros. Wii. It seems like they could have done so much more with it, but no. It's just another platformer with nothing new or special.

The multiplayer at the same time is nothing new or special for you? I find it was phenomenal at the time.

I would say Mario Pinball Land or Mario Party Advance.

probably a three way tie with spm, lost levels, and super mario kart.

Terrible awfuly designed games in so many areas and its disgusting to just play them.

Zae Eildus said:
probably a three way tie with spm, lost levels, and super mario kart.

Terrible awfuly designed games in so many areas and its disgusting to just play them.

I could understand Lost Levels and SPM, and I love Super Paper Mario to death.

but when you dis super mario kart,

that's just going too far

Mcmadness said:

At least it's a game.

Which is exactly what Hotel Mario isn't.

Anyways, in my honest opinion, I can't really think of any Mario game I actually hate, but I think this is at least entertaining enough to fit the category of "game";

Bob McKenzie said:

(here's your flak)
[NOSTALGIC CHILDHOOD GAME FACTOR ACTIVATED]
WHAAAAAAAAAT! HOW COULD u DO DIS!

But seriously, NSMB2 is way worse in that regard. "Oh, let's add vocals to this song and that will make it a new song!" "Put in this classic SMB3 power-up and no one will notice that the only other new power-up is just a Fire Flower with coins!"
NSMB2=NSMBW: Coin Edition

Funny enough if they just called it NSMBWii coin edition or just ported NSMBWii to the 3ds people wouldn't give it any shit.

It's why nobody gives DKCR3D any shit despite being even more of the same game than NSMB2 is NSMBWii

Mcmadness said:
Funny enough if they just called it NSMBWii coin edition or just ported NSMBWii to the 3ds people wouldn't give it any *bleep*.

It's why nobody gives DKCR3D any *bleep* despite being even more of the same game than NSMB2 is NSMBWii
The reason that it's bad is because it's supposed to be a different game but hardly is, while DKCR3D is supposed to be a port of DKCR.

I know, because it feels like a lazy cash grab. But porting DKCR to 3ds with a couple extra levels is probably even more of a lazy cash grab than making NSMB2.

Not that I'm defending NSMB2, it's an utterly mediocre and forgettable game but it just amuses me when I think about it.

Super Mario Kart age freaking terribly. Most courses are variations of another, racers don't make any sound effects, AI cheats like heck, the controls feel really weird, and the feather is broken. Mario Kart has come a long way since then.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, every game from the New Super Mario Brothers series. It would put the Pokémon anime to shame with how repetitive it is.

The story: Bowser Junior or the Koopalings kidnap Peach and take her to a castle, and once defeated, move Peach to the next castle.

Or Bowser just traps Peach and sends Mario, Luigi and Toads flying far away and they have to go save the castle.

And also, the title to these games is consistently misused. There's nothing really "new" about these games.

Mcmadness said:
I know, because it feels like a lazy cash grab.
Fitting, seeing as that's the entire plot of the game.

Baby Luigi said:
Super Mario Kart age freaking terribly. Most courses are variations of another, racers don't make any sound effects, AI cheats like heck, the controls feel really weird, and the feather is broken. Mario Kart has come a long way since then.
That's why I consider it worse than Super Circuit. Many Top 10 lists on YouTube consider it better than SC, but that's most likely the ever-present nostalgia factor I've mentioned before.

I really don't see how Super Circuit is any worse than Super Mario Kart. It has more varied tracks, better characters, and...just everything Super Mario Kart had.

Oh there's no cheating AI in that game. Wait, that's a good thing, right?

Baby Luigi said:
I really don't see how Super Circuit is any worse than Super Mario Kart. It has more varied tracks, better characters, and...just everything Super Mario Kart had.

Oh there's no cheating AI in that game. Wait, that's a good thing, right?
That's my reasoning: It's like Super Mario Kart, but improved in every respect.

Baby Luigi said:
Super Mario Kart age freaking terribly

nice

Baby Luigi said:
Most courses are variations of another, racers don't make any sound effects

That's not aging terribly, that's just technical limitations. Do you expect voices in a game from 1992 on the SNES? Or a long list of different, individual tracks, when there likely wasn't enough room for more sprites for more tracks?

Even though I'm pretty sure it's possible voices could be shoehorned into an SNES game, I really doubt there was enough room for any of that.

Maybe the problem here is that most of my opinions on old games tend to be more of a retrospective, seeing it from the view of how one would see it during it's release.

Another problem is that I've only seen footage of Super Mario Kart, and I never actually played it, so I really doubt I should even be defending this game in the first place, knowing so little about it.

Technical limitations are the reasons some game age terribly and are unfun to play today, and Super Mario Kart is one of the biggest examples of such a thing. Many games don't hold up today, because of bigger, better technology that was used to improve games and therefore evolve from the problems past games had. We're accustomed to how Mario Kart currently plays, thanks to it learning from its mistakes it had in the past, better control schemes, better creativity and imagination and hence, why we're able to greatly appreciate the next generation of Mario Kart games.

Sure, you can say that they were fun to play at the time. Mario Kart 64 was definitely a fun thing to experience back then. But today, it now has to compete with the current generation of games, and hence why it's also fair to compare Super Mario Kart to Mario Kart 8, because there's no reason for me to come back to Super Mario Kart when I can pop in Mario Kart 8 any time I like. Of course, this is all just my only opinion out there; some people enjoy Super Mario Kart for entirely valid and different reasons and would choose it over Mario Kart 8. I'm not one of those people.

but when you dis super mario kart,

that's just going too far

alright, its tracks are the most boring in the series, the music is just alright, and the game doesnt look that great.

But smk does something that only one other game has done to me and thats make me sick in terms of naucious, and because of that yeah i think smk is pretty damn bad.

I'm not really a mario kart fan to begin with and ive tried to give each the kart games ive played a few tries but this one just makes me SICK to my stomach, not sure if its the animaton, how the physics are seen or whatever, but god i dont feel good after playing the game after like one race and that to me is really bad programing or visual development, not sure which.

Cirdec said:
Bob McKenzie said:

The multiplayer at the same time is nothing new or special for you? I find it was phenomenal at the time.

It's really just the same game with more players. Plus I never really got to play multiplayer, but from what I've seen it's not much different.

NSMB2 is also one I don't like, but at least there was something fun in it, namely the coin rush mode.

Back