Status and discussion on Mario Kart games' in-game data

Mister Wu

King Bowser
Wiki Administrator
MarioWiki
Mister Wu
I make this thread both to report the progress on the publication of in-game data of the Mario Kart games on the Wiki and to discuss related matters.

First of all, the status:

blue means that the data from in-game files have been completely transcribed and inserted in the Wiki
green means that the data have been inserted, but the source is not directly in-game files
orange means that the trasncription on the Wiki page is not complete
red means that no in-game data have been transcribed

STATS means the in-game statistics, both of characters and vehicles (from MK: DD onwards)
ITEMS means item probability distributions

Mario Kart 8: STATS - ITEMS
Mario Kart 7: STATS - ITEMS
Mario Kart Wii: STATS - ITEMS
Mario Kart DS: STATS - ITEMS
Mario Kart: Double Dash!!: STATS - ITEMS
Mario Kart: Super Circuit: STATS - ITEMS
Mario kart 64: STATS - ITEMS
Super Mario Kart: STATS - ITEMS

And now, some important aspects and questions on them, grouped per game:

MARIO KART 8

First of all, I tested a new approach of organizing stats in Mario Kart 7 (essentially, keeping all the in-game stats in a format close as possible to the native one in a page, leaving the reinterpreted stats in bar format in the main page) and I like it, because it allows a clearer title so that you expect to find the stats translation tables in the page. Furthermore, the hidden stats don't even have bar values, only points, and in MK7 the tiering of stats such as Acceleration, Air Handling and Weight doesn't follow integer numbers anyway (that was fixed in MK8, where the stats go from 1 to 5.75 instead of from 0.75 to 5.50). I would like to know your opinion on this, what approach do you prefer, the current MK8 or the current MK7 one?

Secondly, tests on MK8 in-game data could confirm that all the in-game stats are derived from MK7, with ON being pretty much the DriftStart stat (its abbreviation probably derive from its only in-game stat, OuterSlip), since those had simple to understand headers, I'm wondering if I just should mention the MK7 in-game stats from which they are derived or if I might even use the very same names used in MK7 in the tables, with a note at the beginning of the page explaining their origin and an appropriate format to underline this.

Finally, I didn't upload all the item probability distributions because I got stuck at intepreting of the table of conditions for Battle Mode (available here, click on ITRT), since the PRIMA guide already gave the interpretation of said conditions, should I go on with said interpretation and finishing uploading all the distributions?

MARIO KART 7

Not much to say, the question about the stats was already said above.

MARIO KART WII

First of all, I don't have yet the in-game data nor the item probabilty distributions, but an user of another forum kindly transcribed the statistics, which were then included in the page. Since MK7 revelead that in-game data might have headers in it, it might still be interesting to look at the actual files.

Not much to say about the item probability distributions, I just need the files to report them, as jdaster64 on GameFaqs already did that, but he unfortunately rewrites the stats with his own units, making them less reliable than they could be (even though he doesn't falsify them, to be clear).

Regarding where to put the in-game statistics, I would like them on the main page for a simple reason, unlike in MK7 and MK8, the bar stats in MKW are unreliable. And with unrealiable I mean this:
the Dolphin Dasher all the individual Drift stats higher than those of the Spear and is an inside drifting bike as well, yet for some reason the former has a Drift stat of 24, while the Spear has a Drift stat of 29.
As another example, the 10 Off-Road related stats are condensed in a single stat, and unfortunately the character bonuses deal with three groups of individual stats, making it impossible to know what kind of Off-Road stat is being imporved if there is an Off-Road bonus.
We might keep those bar stats in the main page, if anyhting for respect toward the guy who took the time to correctly read the length of the individual bars and even of the character bonuses and because they are official information from the developers, but then I think we should also keep the in-game data in the main page in order not to mislead the users who just go to take a quick look and we should add an important notice that the bar values might be seriously wrong in some cases.

MARIO KART DS

Again, here we only have the data from jdaster64 that has been transcribed likely using different units from those of the game (you can look at the MT stat, that should be in frames like in all the other Mario Kart games or at the acceleration that is actually reported as being a reconstructed value), in-game files here are still needed in my opinion. Same for the item probability distributions.

MARIO KART: DOUBLE DASH!!

Here I have a transcription of the in-game data that was given by the same user who transcribed the MKW in-game data we have on the page, this means that the trasncription is reliable, although also in this case it might be useful to look at the files to see if there is some additional header that might help in the very difficult interpretation of the in-game stats.

Unsurprisingly, the stats reported in the menu are incorrect as well, in that there are 9 different values of weight, acceleration and speed instead of 5, so again I would like to keep the in-game stats in the main page, I wonder if the table listing the "order" values out of 9 is overkill, though.

Nothing to say about the item probability distribtuions, I'm just missing the data.

OTHER GAMES

Not much to say really, as I am missing in-game data and even transcription of stats beside those reported in the manuals.

Ideally, the articles on the characters, parts and and vehicles should be updated with the in-game stats once they are available, realistically talking I won't be able to do that, though, so if someone want to do that, it would be great.

If anyone could help me in obtaining the in-game data, I would really like them to send me a personal message.

I could get Mario Kart DS item probability files. I do have Tinke and a Mario Kart DS ISO. I have no idea what the name is though.

Mario Kart Wii, same, I can obtain the files needed there too.

Also, uh, MKAGP 2 possibly.

Baby Luigi said:
I could get Mario Kart DS item probability files. I do have Tinke and a Mario Kart DS ISO. I have no idea what the name is though.

Mario Kart Wii, same, I can obtain the files needed there too.

Also, uh, MKAGP 2 possibly.
Thanks, those would be precious, unfortunately at the moment I only found the name of the file with the kart stats, Kartphysicalparam.bin, probably the one with the stats of the characters is in the same folder, while for the items you could try to look for binary files having in the name Item (MK8), ItemSlot (MK7) or the like.

Thanks for MKW, those would be very useful!

At the moment I don't know if I will cover the arcade games too, as honestly even just these 8 will be enough for all the year 2017, I think, still those files are useful and they might even be funny to look at just because (lol if it turns out that they use the same stats as MK7 and MK8...).

Alex95 said:
I have the NP guides of Mario Kart 64 and Double Dash!!. Those'll probably come in handy. What exactly are you looking for for them? Item probabilities?
Well, both item probabilities and stats would be useful. In the case of MK8, the PRIMA guide was very useful to read the data becuase the authors didn't bother changing the in-game data that much, thus providing the headers that I was missing (they even kept the same order used in-game for the items!).

For Mario Kart DS, I haven't found anything with the word "item" in it. It probably has a nonspecific name like "utility.bin" found in the fwc folder which is only a guess not a confirmation.

What is the name of the Mario Kart Wii files?

Mister Wu said:
Alex95 said:
I have the NP guides of Mario Kart 64 and Double Dash!!. Those'll probably come in handy. What exactly are you looking for for them? Item probabilities?
Well, both item probabilities and stats would be useful. In the case of MK8, the PRIMA guide was very useful to read the data becuase the authors didn't bother changing the in-game data that much, thus providing the headers that I was missing (they even kept the same order used in-game for the items!).

I'm going to post the whole item chart page Nintendo Power made so you have something to work with for Mario Kart 64. The lettering in the chart shows how often the item appears in the roulette, with A being frequently and D being rarely, based on the player positions, indicated by the numbers at the top. There are three separate item roulettes in the game, which it shows on the bottom.

HNvL67k.jpg

No item chart for Double Dash!! though. I thought it had one.

Baby Luigi said:
For Mario Kart DS, I haven't found anything with the word "item" in it. It probably has a nonspecific name like "utility.bin" found in the fwc folder which is only a guess not a confirmation.
It could be, have you looked at compressed files, if there are any?
Baby Luigi said:
What is the name of the Mario Kart Wii files?
The Mario Kart Wii files should all be in /Race/Common.szs, they should be:

driverParam.bin
ItemSlot.bin
kartParam.bin

Alex95 said:
I'm going to post the whole item chart page Nintendo Power made so you have something to work with for Mario Kart 64. The lettering in the chart shows how often the item appears in the roulette, with A being frequently and D being rarely, based on the player positions, indicated by the numbers at the top. There are three separate item roulettes in the game, which it shows on the bottom.

HNvL67k.jpg

No item chart for Double Dash!! though. I thought it had one.
Thanks a lot! This is already quite interesting to see, and will be precious if the in-game data has no headers! Is there information on characters' and vehicles' stats, too?

Mister Wu said:
Thanks a lot! This is already quite interesting to see, and will be precious if the in-game data has no headers! Is there information on characters' and vehicles' stats, too?

For Mario Kart 64, the information the guide provides already appears to be on the main article. And the guide for Double Dash lists the characters and vehicles using their in-game stars, so there's none of the "real stats" shown. I think the MK64 item chart is the only thing worth showing atm.

If you want, I can go ahead and build the table for the items to put on the MK64 page. Or would you rather do that?

Alex95 said:
If you want, I can go ahead and build the table for the items to put on the MK64 page. Or would you rather do that?
I can do that, as I already did that for the other Mario Kart games and this one would be even smaller than the others I did, of course you might have to wait a little as I'm not the fastest person in the Wiki...

Alex95 said:
Hey, the chart looks great! Glad you did it, cause if I had, I would've built it the long way, making the page longer than it should've been haha :P
Thanks! I just wanted to maintain a little consistency with the other tables I made.

By the way, the order in the bottom is only something aesthetical or it does affect the items you can get? If I remember correctly, in MK64 it is already possible to stop the reel at any time, making it more or less an embellishment.

Mister Wu said:
Thanks! I just wanted to maintain a little consistency with the other tables I made.

By the way, the order in the bottom is only something aesthetical or it does affect the items you can get? If I remember correctly, in MK64 it is already possible to stop the reel at any time, making it more or less an embellishment.

The roulettes at the bottom just show which roulette is being cycled through. You can stop the cycle at any time, but I believe the roulette that is being cycled through is randomly chosen out of the three.

I'm not sure how anyone is going to transcribe the item probabilities for Super Mario Kart, Mario Kart 64, Mario Kart: Super Circuit, or Mario Kart: Double Dash!!.

However, here is a page for Mario Kart 64's item probabilities.

Oh the table looks easy to transcribe. As someone who has featured Mario Kar 64's article, I'd be happy to put the actual list of probabilities in there somewhere when I find the opportunity.

Back