If you could create your own Pokemon type, what would it be like?

GalacticPetey

Donkey Kong
I doubt we'll be getting a new type this gen, but if we did, what would you choose? I'm personally a fan of the "Light Type" idea. To me it makes a lot of sense as a type.

I imagine it would be super effective on Ghost and Dark types. Maybe Fairy as well so that type can be balanced out a little bit. It would resist Ghost and Fairy. Grass types would be immune to it because they absorb light, and it would not be very effective on Ground or Bug types. It would be weak to Grass. For an interesting change of pace it would be weak to Dark, as well as strong against Dark.

I could see the following Pokemon re-typed:

Mareep- Electric / Light
Flaafy- Electric / Light
Ampharos- Electric / Light
Sunflora- Grass / Light
Volbeat- Bug / Light
Luxray- Electric / Light
Finneon- Water / Light
Lumineon- Water / Light
Manaphy- Water / Light
Elgyem- Psychic / Light
Beheeyem- Psychic / Light
Xerneas- Fairy / Light

Chinchou and Lanturn would be good candidates but I don't want to get rid of either of their typings.

As for re-typed moves, I can see Tail Glow and Flash getting changed.

When I saw Lunala I originally thought that we might be getting some like a "Space" or "Cosmic" (my preferred name) type. Although, Lunala and Deoxys, Elgyem and Beheeyem
and that new meteor one
would go to this typing, but I can't think of any other Pokemon that exist that I imagine this typing would go to, especially as Clefairy has already been retyped once. Maybe Solrock and Lunatone, change out their Psychic typing.

Cosmic Power would obviously be changed from Psychic to this.

As for Super Effective I don't really know.

God Typing for Arceus

resistant to every typing

judgement depends on the typing of the plate

if no plate, judgement does half damage on everything

A Sound type

We already have an ability that negates various sound-based moves and I think it has potential to have interesting and creative movesets.

Space type would be cool as well

Bird type.

Neutral to everything.

pikachu type

exclusive to pikachu clones and behaves exactly like electric type except that it's super effective on itself

Better Ice type

like ice type, but better

and not garbage, like ice type

Jeff Goldblum said:
i miss having cirdec around

i wonder what happened to him

I am still here, it's just I am not very active because of health issues.

And God type Judgement should be super effective on everything.

Marcia said:
Phi said:
Better Ice type

There needs to be a reason to actually use Ice types over a water type with Ice Beam

does STAB count?

James Randi type.

Immune to all psychic moves.

At the current state, Water-types are too good because they have everything: 1) An attack that burns and since it's Water, Fire-types cannot reliably switch in unless it's Volcanion; 2) Ice-type coverage for the only type with complete advantage over it, which is the Grass-type, as opposed to most types; 3) Ice-type is usually not worth using because they are weak to many types, so usually Water-types are best fitted as Ice attackers rather than the Ice-types themselves.

Therefore, it would be great if there is another type with a complete advantage over Water-types, but a disadvantage against the Grass-type so that Grass-types have one extra type to make it useful.

I could suggest Ice-types, but I think they would benefit better from a type chart revision than a new type to patch up their usefulness.

Thanks for reading.

winstein said:
At the current state, Water-types are too good because they have everything: 1) An attack that burns and since it's Water, Fire-types cannot reliably switch in unless it's Volcanion

Primal Groudon ruins any Water type.
And it's Scald the problem, that move should have never been made.

A51_Trooper said:
Don't forget that Steam Eruption is basically Hydro Pump with Scald's burn chance and 95% accuracy.
It's also exclusive to one, hard to obtain Pokemon that's not allowed in most competitions. Not much of an issue. Scald is not only good, but a very widespread TM, meaning it can be more of a pain to deal with.

Phi said:
Better Ice type

would also like Neo Bug type

its like Bug except it isn't resisted by half the type chart

It's a shame Bug isn't better. It can serve as a check to psychic and dark types, which can sometimes run rampant. Unfortunately it's one of Grass' many weaknesses.

Poor Grass. I wish you were better. You're probably my favorite type but you have five weaknesses, three of which are common attack types, and six types resist it.

I would remove one of Grass' weaknesses and remove Poison and Flying's resistance to it.

GalacticPetey said:
It's a shame Bug isn't better. It can serve as a check to psychic and dark types, which can sometimes run rampant. Unfortunately it's one of Grass' many weaknesses.

Poor Grass. I wish you were better. You're probably my favorite type but you have five weaknesses, three of which are common attack types, and six types resist it.

I would remove one of Grass' weaknesses and remove Poison and Flying's resistance to it.

Yeah, it's a shame that Grass-types aren't better. A lot of Grass-types have limited moveset potential, which stems from a lack of essential coverage, and though they usually have a decent array of useful Status moves, it can easily be stopped through Taunt. Worse is that the developers introduced a Grass-immune ability, which is bad because Grass-types are already resisted by a lot, why introduce an ability to limit their offensive potential further? I am grateful that there are some useful Grass-types that managed to perform well despite this. Most prominent example is Amoonguss, whose stats might not sound impressive nor have a wide array of moves, but performs really well in battles because it learns the right moves and have a great ability.

As for Bug-type, though there is no ability that makes Pokemon immune to Bug-type attacks (yet), I can understand the pain of being resisted by 7 types.

If I were to choose types to remove resistances from, it would be defensive because I feel Grass serves best as a more defensive role. In that case, the Ice and Flying weaknesses are removed. Fire cannot be removed to maintain the elemental triangle, Bug because it should have at least one use, and Poison because it's strapped for super-effective coverage.

Thanks for reading.

GalacticPetey said:
I wanted Bug to be super effective against fairy, but I don't know whatever the flying hell GameFreak was thinking to make Fairy resist the damn thing.

Back