Super Mario World SNES Flying PAL vs NTSC

BlackStar

Goomba
Hi everybody,

Last year we had a Mario Bros 3 competition where teams would compete against each other to complete SMB3 without using flutes, we had a lot of fun, and want to do it again this year, but this time on the Super Nintendo.
So I started playing Super Mario World, and my inspiration lies mainly within the countless amount of speedruns on the internet.
I got quite good at flying over levels, but suddenly it hit me. I had been practicing using the USA version of Super Mario World, and we will use real hardware, so I had to switch to the Europe version.
And this is where all my skills went down the drain. No matter what I do, I can't keep Mario in the air. In the USA version it's quite easy to make Mario climb up again with the cape, but in the PAL version this seems nearly impossible. Also, the special trick using the Y button to run and the A button to make a twist jump is broken as well. When I land and want to continue flying high, it seems mario slows down the moment he lands and the jump is over.

Can anyone shed any light on this? I have been looking around but the main differences I find is that NTSC is 60Hz, PAL is 50, and the differences consist of screens switching quicker (especially in the japanese version)

BlackStar said:
Also, the special trick using the Y button to run and the A button to make a twist jump is broken as well.

exactly this has screwed me over so many times before i realized it doesnt work in the pal version for some reason

Midna said:
BlackStar said:
Also, the special trick using the Y button to run and the A button to make a twist jump is broken as well.

exactly this has screwed me over so many times before i realized it doesnt work in the pal version for some reason

Well, I'm glad it's not me :D This trick is still extremely hard to learn properly, so we only had a couple of places where we would use it. The place I mainly want to use it is a ghost house where you can fly over a big wall where there are two doors to the left. Otherwise you have to continue in the ghost house in a pretty hard part since it has this huge cloud of ghosts that randomly come to life.

Any tips for flying? I noticed the main problem is timing. Sometimes when flying mario drops down about the height of a super mario sprite. Pressing left will then make him go up, and the interval is quite slow. But if you get out of this rhythm, you have to increase the interval time. Really, really weird.

After an evening of practicing it got better but it's still very hard. Added bonus is that I had a lot of practice in Roy's castle flying over the lava, and the timing here is completely different. Not to mention that the timing of just about anything in the game is different :(

Midna said:
I'm not an expert in SMW physics so

Well, I found the solution, it's pretty obvious :P
Practice, practice practice.

Took me a few hours to get it to click again.
So if anyone ever faces the same problem, the solution is simple :) Just keep going.

Back