Your favorite video game music composers.

Dr. Peach

Rest in Peace Walkazo 1991-2016
Banned User
This thread is all about talking about your favorite video game music composers.

Let me start it off with my favorites.

#1: Michiru Yamane
220px-Michiru_Yamane.jpg

Well, what can I say? She is a total genius. She is a skilled musical composer. Her music pieces sound very distinct and far apart from anything I've heard other composers do. She does mixed styles in some of her work. She knows how to mix styles together and make things sound nice.

#2: Tim Follin
Tim_Follin_-_1.jpg

This guy's work is absolutely brilliant. He has composed so many awesome renditions of songs of the many home computer ports of famous Capcom arcade classics in the 80s in Europe. He also is well skilled in pushing the limits of the sound chips of all the various retro home computers of the 80s. I am very impressed with his work on the Amiga and Commodore 64.

#3:
Simon Viklund
Simon_Viklund_2214234627_ca244e50e0.jpg

I am very impressed with this guy's work in Bionic Commando Rearmed. This guy knows how to remix songs and make them sound really awesome. He really is a total genius when it comes to remixing things.

#4:
Chris Huelsbeck
220px-Chris_Huelsbeck_NextLevel_2_2011_K%C3%B6ln.jpg

This guy is well known for composing the music for the Giana Sisters series and some other video games. I think he does a fantastic job in his compositions.

Christophe Herale and Billy Martin of Rayman Origins/Legends are probably my favorite video game composers

Also, whoever did Persona's soundtracks are great too.

ComposerKnown forPersonal Favorite
Nobuo UematsuFinal Fantasy I-X, XIV, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, The Last StoryFinal Fantasy VI - Dancing Mad
Yoko ShimomuraMario & Luigi Series, Kingdom Hearts, Final Fantasy XVMario & Luigi: Dream Team - Adventure's End
Yasunori MitsudaChrono SeriesChrono Cross - Scars of Time
Jeremy SouleThe Elder Scrolls Series, Warhammer SeriesThe Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Main Theme
Motoi SakurabaBaten Kaitos, Dark Souls, Tales of ...Baten Kaitos Origins - The Valedictory Elegy (Never actually played any of these games, love the music though)
Rob HubbardMonty on the Run, Nemesis the WarlockMonty on the Run - Theme
ZUN (Jun'ya Ota)Touhou SeriesAll of them.
Tim FollinSilver Surfer, Solstice, a lot of other obscure shit with awesome musicSilver Surfer (NES) - Level 1
Chris HülsbeckThe Great Giana Sisters Series, Turrican SeriesTurrican 2 - The Final Fight
Grant KirkhopeBanjo-Kazooie, Donkey Kong 64, other Rareware StuffBanjo-Kazooie - Treasure Trove Cove

Motoi Sakuraba.

I don't really remember any names except this guy because I ended up liking a lot of stuff he did before I even knew he did it.

Midna said:
Nobuo UematsuFinal Fantasy I-X, XIV, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, The Last StoryFinal Fantasy VI - Dancing Mad
Yoko ShimomuraMario & Luigi Series, Kingdom Hearts, Final Fantasy XVMario & Luigi: Dream Team - Adventure's End
Jeremy SouleThe Elder Scrolls Series, Warhammer SeriesThe Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Main Theme
Motoi SakurabaBaten Kaitos, Dark Souls, Tales of ...Baten Kaitos Origins - The Valedictory Elegy (Never actually played any of these games, love the music though)
Tim FollinSilver Surfer, Solstice, a lot of other obscure shit with awesome musicSilver Surfer (NES) - Level 1
Chris HülsbeckThe Great Giana Sisters Series, Turrican SeriesTurrican 2 - The Final Fight
Grant KirkhopeBanjo-Kazooie, Donkey Kong 64, other Rareware StuffBanjo-Kazooie - Treasure Trove Cove

Updated my post above with Favorite and shit.

Grant Kirkhope, there is not a single piece of music that he composed that I didn't like. My favorites are Jungle Japes (the first location), and Grunty's Industries (inside version, maybe because I just spend too much time there.)

Midna said:
Midna said:

Updated my post above with Favorite and shit.

And no Michiru Yamane?

She is still awesome especially with SOTN.

Midna said:
Maria Renard said:
And no Michiru Yamane?

She is still awesome especially with SOTN.

Gotta be honest with you I don't know her lol

She is a composer who has worked on Castlevania music first in Castlevania: Bloodlines and becoming the primary composer since Symphony of the Night. She also composed music for other Konami games like PES.

can't believe i'm the first person to bring up david wise in this thread

Koji Kondo also does a nice job but if he ever teams up with Tim Follin, Michiru Yamane, and Chris Huelsbeck then it would be a masterpiece made somewhere between heaven and earth.

I am particularly impressed with Michiru Yamane's work with the Castlevania series from SOTN onwards (excluding Castlevania 64 & LOD since she didn't even compose any music for these two abominations). Lament of Innocence and Symphony of the Night shows her amazing skills.

Aoi Asahina said:
Koji Kondo

How did he not get mentioned until the 5th post?

Koji Kondo for sure.
Toru Minegishi (and Asuka Ohta), mostly for Twilight Princess music.
Shogo Sakai, mostly for Kirby and the Rainbow Curse.
Masami Ueda for Bayonetta 2.
Yoko Shimomura for her M&L stuff.
Hajime Wakai, for Pikmin. (Atsuko Asahi and Asuka Ohta as well for Pikmin 3)
Asuka Ohta for a lot of things.
Mahito Yokota for Super Mario Galaxy stuff.

And a bunch of others.

Daisuke Ishiwatari for the incredible guilty gear soundtracks i just cant get over them, especially holy orders and awe of she.

Keiichi Suzuki, Hirokazu Tanaka, and Hiroshi Kanazu, (EarthBound), Toby Fox (Undertale), Danny Baranowsky (Cave Story, The Binding of Isaac, Super Meat Boy, and other indie darlings), and Keiichi Okabe (NieR) are the ones that distinctly stand out off the top of my head.

Time Turner said:
Danny Baranowsky (Cave Story

I'm 90% sure Daisuke Amaya made the music for that game himself, at least the original version. IDK about the 10000 remakes since I've never played them.

Midna said:
Time Turner said:

I'm 90% sure Daisuke Amaya made the music for that game himself, at least the original version. IDK about the 10000 remakes since I've never played them.

well the dude made the game entirely by himself so yeah probably.

Quick Google told me that Danny Baranowsky did the Soundtrack for the 3DS Remake of Cave Story.

well im talking about the original game, the remakes eh idk maybe uh manslaughter

Midna said:
Time Turner said:

daisuke did the original songs

but dannyb's versions are sooo much better

like the originals were great, but they were begging to be revitalized

besides daisuke still told dannyb how to make the remixes

Back