Things that you really hate in Mario Kart games

Dr. Peach

Rest in Peace Walkazo 1991-2016
Banned User
There are a lot of things that I don't like in Mario Kart games. Which ones do you think that you really hate in a Mario Kart game.

Here are two things that I really hate:

#1 Blue Shells

They are such a pain in the ass to begin with. It is so unfair. I have been in moments where I was trying to maintain 1st place and then all of a sudden a blue shell appears. OH GOD! I really hate Blue Shells. I really wish they were never in a Mario Kart game ever!

#2 Having to collect coins to make your karts/bikes/ATVs go faster in MK7/MK8 like in Super Mario Kart

What is the point of this? It just makes things more tougher and a pain in the ass since you start off slow. Why does it have to go back to the ways of Super Mario Kart. Why can't it be faster on its own without the collecting coins bullshit? This is a thing that really bothers me the most in MK8.

1. The dang Coin item

That item can burn in hell. It didn't need to intrude mono-item VS races, and this thing is FAR too common. Maybe it's fine to get it once in a while, but not like, 5 consecutive times in a race.

2. Baby Rosalina

She didn't need to exist. Period.

3. Imbalance of weight classes

The heavyweights are STILL too overpowered, even after a "balance" patch in Mario Kart 8.

4. N64 Yoshi Valley

I hate everything about this course.

5. Cat Peach and Tanooki Mario

They aren't worth any money at all. They should have been free DLC, with DLC Pack one having a discount.

acceleration tiers from mario kart 7 and 8. misleads players into thinking something has better stats than something else but they dont. i hate it when games make the display stats and different to the real stats and mario kart has been a key culprit of this practice.

1. Donkey Kong

2. The Coin Item

3. Donkey Kong

4. Wingless Blue Shells

5. Donkey Kong

6. Abhorrently terrible physics

7. Did I mention Donkey Kong?

Coins were also in Mario Kart Super Circuit, so they are in half of the non-arcade non-slot machine Mario Kart games.

I think the point is creating strategy: you can choose whether to always get the best line and end up being slower or try to get as many coins as possible with some bad lines. Expert players know what coins to get without sacrificing lines too much or when it's worth to get as many coins as possible to gain the speed advantage.

I agree on the Blue Shell, I'd argue that it is to make the outcome of the race a bit more uncertain but aren't really better ways (such as great come-back shortcuts doable only by skillfully using mushrooms)?

I also agree on the character imbalance, in 200cc the situation is a bit better but there is still a long way to go.

The opacity of the in-game stats is becoming more and more important, especially after the speedometer disappeared.

Mister Wu said:
especially after the speedometer disappeared.
I never understood why the speedometer got removed in the first place. How else can people test each kart's top speed? :/

Striker Mario said:
Mister Wu said:
I never understood why the speedometer got removed in the first place. How else can people test each kart's top speed? :/

They hack it in

80px-BabyLuigiSelectSluggers.png

Striker Mario said:
Mister Wu said:
http://mkboards.com/forums/threads/the-table-of-top-land-speed-without-coins-in-km-h.22532/

http://mkboards.com/forums/threads/the-tables-of-top-land-speed-in-km-h-as-function-of-speed-value-and-coins.24123/

And good luck discovering how fast you are in various occasions, we still don't know exactly how do the vehicles accelerate, if drifting increases acceleration, if the Mini-Turbo makes you reach near-top speed like the Super Mini-Turbo, how much time is needed to reach full speed after any kind of long boost (e.g. Super Mini-Turbo, Mushroom), we still don't even know how much speed you gain by widening the drift (because MrBean discovered that the speed increases while widening and decreases while tightening the drift), we don't know what speed do we reach near the Yoshi Circuit waterfall shortcut in 200cc, making it much more gruesome for outside drifting vehicles (inside drifting bikes have an easy time taking it anyway) and so on...

The one thing that I'll never understand is why acceleration tiers exist; if the acceleration value difference is small, you should "still" see a difference with the acceleration rate.

Also, the way the weight classes are handled tend to lead to less diversity with the stat spreads.

Lastly, the way that the speed values are handled can be on the disturbing side. After looking at Mister Wu's data, I'm surprised that in Mario Kart 8, if a perfect 6/6 were possible, the vehicle's top speed could go up to 86 km/h.

Even today, I've still been trying to work on concepts that try to make the stats operate better.

1. blue shell
2. blue shell
3. blue shell
4. blue shell
5. blue shell
6. blue shell
7. blue shell
8. blue shell
9. blue shell
10. blue shell

Peri said:
1. blue shell
2. blue shell
3. blue shell
4. blue shell
5. blue shell
6. blue shell
7. blue shell
8. blue shell
9. blue shell
10. blue shell
I remember my siblings accusing me of hacking whenever i would use a Super Mushroom to dodge the Blue Shell and i would stare at them like:

"A good gamer keeps his secrets"

well i'd tell them that's not hacking at all. hacking is like, installing the homebrew channel and racing against a giant Wario ass with a giant, slow Spiny Shell flying after you.

the fact i can never play as boo in these games

every other spinoff series has let me play as boo in at least one of the games

king boo doesnt count i want a boo more relatable to the common man

Magikrazy said:
the fact i can never play as boo in these games

every other spinoff series has let me play as boo in at least one of the games

king boo doesnt count i want a boo more relatable to the common man

You know what the best part is?

Boo would have been easier to model and animate compared to the likes of Baby Rosalina or Dry Bowser.

Having to use coins to unlock a random kart piece. What ever happened to completing a circuit to unlock a new kart or character?

1: Getting hit by a stray green shell
2: Getting hit by my own green shell
3: When CPUs gained the ability to use shortcuts in MK7
4: Crossover characters
5: Metal Mario, Tanooki Mario, Pink Gold Peach, and Cat Peach using up separate character slots when they should just be alternate costumes for Mario and Peach, since they're literally the same character.

The blue shell comes to mind of course.

Oh, and the unfair AI in Mario Kart 64

People complaining about those obscure rpg characters not being playable.

Blue shell before finish.

The RPG characters would be pretty cool as cameos in race-tracks.

And honestly, having a track based on a location from an RPG would be pretty cool.

DON'T START

Too late #FawfulForMK9

Back