Games that you think that pushed a system to its limits.

Dr. Peach

Rest in Peace Walkazo 1991-2016
Banned User
There are lots of games that are made to push the limits of a system. Which ones do you think are notable for being very impressive?

For me here is a few that I found:

#1 Geograph Seal (Sharp X68000)

This game is simply groundbreaking for its time. It was the first demonstration of an early polygonal game running on a such an old retro computer. Also the predecessor to Jumping Flash! on the Sony PlayStation 1.

#2 Castlevania: Rondo of Blood (NEC PC-Engine/TurboGrafx-16)

This game is a pure work of art. It really shows what the NEC PC-Engine could pull off with its color palette and the addition of the TurboGrafx-CD/PC Engine CD add on. The detail of the backgrounds is simply astonishing with the color palette given.

#3 Test Drive: Le Mans 24 Hours (Sega Dreamcast version)

This game really showed what the Dreamcast was really capable of. It pushed the Dreamcast to its maximum potential. It looks close to a GameCube and/or Xbox game. It looks better than the PS2 version in the graphics department.

#4 Gunstar Heroes (Sega Genesis/Mega Drive)

This game really shows what the Genesis/Mega Drive can truly do. It really shows extreme potential of the hardware by using special hardware techniques.

#5 Contra: Hard Corps (Sega Genesis/Mega Drive)

This game is simply one of the best Contra games ever made. It's a work of art for the Genesis/Mega Drive. It really pushes the system to its real limits. It is a fun game as well.

Re: Games that you think that pushed a system to it's limits.

Protip: it's "its".

I vote for Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS. Amazing game, can rival its console version, even.

Striker Mario said:

I vote for Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS. Amazing game, can rival its console version, even.

It even did literally push the system to its limits too.

running pc games where your specs barely supports it

:)

(btw, putting embedded videos in spoilers doesn't automatically reduce loading time, please keep that in mind)

Haven't really played it yet in any form, but I know that the original Shantae for the GBC definitely made all the graphics as good as the GBC can get, almost looking like a GBA game.

Sports titles, especially in graphics. The market expects them to be 'real' so all the models and animation need to be perfect. Have you seen the ones in UFC 2? Holy shit.

Can only think of Rondo of Blood (original version), Majora's Mask and Shadow of the Colossus.

Baby Luigi said:
(btw, putting embedded videos in spoilers doesn't automatically reduce loading time, please keep that in mind)

Did you manage to take a look at the footage of the games that I listed on my list just to see what they really looked like?

In particular two games (Geograph Seal for X68000 and Rondo of Blood from Castlevania fame) are very immersive titles. They are my favorites.

Opening cinematic of the game Cannon Fodder. This was a GBC game!

Bayonetta 2 was the game that pushed the Wii U to its limits

It's beautiful and nearly everything is live-rendered, including most of the cutscenes

Striker Mario said:

So much so that we lost a fan favorite character.

tbh i don't think 8 player smash in wii u can support the climbers either

but then again, modders threw the claim that 8 player smash can't be played with bosses and all stages because of game lag down the trash when they enabled 8 players for all stages

Yeah, they would have been a nightmare in 8 Player Smash.

Unless they were cut early, which allowed them to implement 8 Player Smash. But I'm not sure how far in advance he had that mode planned.

Donkey Kong Country for SNES, made the most of the limited power the SNES had and tried to see how it handled pre rendered graphics. Worked okay in end.

The DKC port for the GameBoy Color.

Shining Force 3 on Sega Saturn.

It really looks very impressive for a Sega Saturn game.

E.T.

The Donkey Kong Land trilogy is pretty impressive.

Conker's bad fur day. It's so amazing that they managed to fit all that voice acting in this small cartridge.

certainly ff6, it may be bugged out the ass in the snes version, but they still did an impressive job with it.

I think Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild will push the Wii U to its limit for being a very large open world game.

GalacticPetey said:
Striker Mario said:

So much so that we lost a fan favorite character.

Ice Climbers, fan favorite characters? Or was it just because they were broken in Melee and Brawl?

I think Gran Turismo 2 could be a game that pushed the PS1 to it's limits.

Back