Princess Peach Fan-Art Critique?

Well, here goes nothing...

So, I wouldn't consider myself to be the best artist out there, but I'm quite a big fan of the plucky Princess Peach, and I wanna show off a piece of Peach fan-art that I made. If possible, perhaps you could criticize (preferrably without sugar-coating) it. Trust me when I say that it's no masterpiece.

xaawlp3.png

So, how bad is it? Perhaps you could offer advice on how to improve my Peach-drawing skills? Perhaps I could progressively post more drawings here as a way of seeing how much I improved from... this. And, on top of that, maybe you'd like to show some Peach fan-art as well? Then we'd be able to critique each other's works over time!

That's actually pretty good: everything from the bottom of the "Peach" text and up looks nice, although the lower half of the pic needs work. Mainly, the dress looks more like pantaloons than a dress parted down the middle: there needs to be more rumpling, although to make your life easier, I'd stay stick to drawing her in poses that don't require such awkward rearranging of clothing. The other thing that particularly needs work if you want to mimic official art is the proportions: her torso is actually shorter than her head, meaning her elbows will be at her hips. Her face is a bit wider than how Nintendo draws it, but it's still well-done in its own right and clearly Peach (makes her look younger, actually, like if this was her 14-year-old self or something), and I personally have no qualms about the stylistic difference in how you've done the eyes.

I'd actually say kudos to you for being willing to work with complicated poses instead of sticking to more basic ones. Experimentation and self-challenge is an excellent way of improving your skills, if you can deal with the occasional disappointment when an experiment doesn't quite work out as well as you intended. But seeing how you came here requesting actual critique instead of sugar-coating gives me the impression you'd not be discouraged that easily. So keep it up and stay on the ball.

As for the drawing: I think her hands are a bit too small. Like, take your hand, spread out your fingers, and cover your face. Get a feel for how much of your face you are able to cover like that. Then imagine your drawing doing the same. She's not quite able to cover a similar amount of surface.

There's actually a good deal of little tricks like that that artists can use to improve their drawings. Getting experience and coming up with your own ones is part of the fun.

Some official art actually does depict Peach with rather tiny hands (i.e. SPP (File:Princess_Peach_%28Box_Art%29_-_Super_Princess_Peach.png), where she could easily fit her fist into her eye-socket), but looking around the wiki's gallery, most 3D art and other 2D stuff have hand proportions much more life-like (i.e. SM3DL (File:Peach_SM3DL.png) where she could cover half her face with one hand); but either way, the hands were wider than the wrists (which you have for one hand, but not for the one on the right). Moral of that story: use multiple art references, even if they contradict each other slightly (but feel free to disregard really abberant ones, of course), and then figure out which version you want to use, or come to a compromise, or whatever.

It's really good for the most part.

But this Paint. net Peach drawing by me is the worst you'll find out there.

princess_peach_s_action_suit_and_dress_outfit_by_pwwnd123-d8w60ef.jpg

It's a total abomination though.

Your drawing is much better than my first abomination of a Peach drawing.

Also you should consider joining Deviantart. It's where all the artists go to.

Maria Renard said:

Heh. Well, I can still see Peach's likeness, so it's excusable to me. I've actually seen much, much worse during my time on ol' Google.

Although, I have to ask. Is that black thing on Peach's arm a gun, since she's wearing an action suit?

Sorry if that came off as rude.

SuperMischiefMaker said:
Maria Renard said:

Heh. Well, I can still see Peach's likeness, so it's excusable to me. I've actually seen much, much worse during my time on ol' Google.

Although, I have to ask. Is that black thing on Peach's arm a gun, since she's wearing an action suit?

Sorry if that came off as rude.

No, I intended it to be a bionic arm attachment or something though.

However, my only good Peach drawing is down below.

paper_style_ponytail_classic_dress_peach_by_pwwnd123-d9o7gme.jpg

It's better than that Paint.net abomination.

I drew it on paper and then I scanned it using my Epson Workforce WF-2630 All In One Printer and Scanner.

I learned a skill from my younger sister on how to draw because she thought that I had no drawing experience but I did had a little drawing experience that I improved upon in art class.

She told me that I needed to sketch.

Her advice actually did kind of improve my Peach drawing work.

Though you could actually improve your work a little bit more.

Maria Renard said:

LMAOOO

Back