Like system

Is adding a "like system" a good idea?

• Total voters

Nate Jacobs

WHAT THE FUCK? WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU?
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
The Shadow Prince
Has anyone considered giving users the ability to "like" posts on this site? I think it would be interesting. I also think it would be a cool idea to also show which users liked other users' posts. It's just an idea, though. I'm not too familiar with computer programming, and if it's too hard to set up that feature, I understand.

NOPE

i think a newer smf version incorporates this by default so thats probably the reason we never updated (correct me if wrong, im not sure if that version was even released yet)

I've argued for one before. Would still like one but I can't see it happening.

There's plenty of existing mods for it

It would be a great system to add, but as as long as there is not a dislike system, that'll cause some shit to go on through the site. On another forum I am on personally, there is a like system that is used over time when other users agree with ideas shared on the forum. I personally don't care about getting likes on posts if it was implemented here, but it would be interesting to see be added.

All I'm thinking is that it may spiral into a contest and create tension between users.

I think it would be a great idea if we could Like posts! :bowjr: Like facebook you can also dislike peoples posts and the person with the most :yoshi: dislikes should get banned!

I think it's best to not add a dislike system as people could dislike the users they don't like and it'll make all hell break loose through here between users.

if you want a like system then just quote someone's post, add 'i like this' and post it. it is a foolproof alternative that allows you to give people your fake internet praise and will make you very popular and liked trust me

Time Turner said:
in a community like this all it'll do is foster contempt for people with more likes and create outsiders for people with less likes

Pretty much what I was thinking.

The Pyro Guy said:
All I'm thinking is that it may spiral into a contest and create tension between users.

"you didnt like my post"

"yeah why do you care"

"i thought we were friends???????"

"so I didnt like your post why are you so upset"

I'm not clairvoyant, but this is pretty much what would end up happening.

Drift said:
I think it would be a great idea if we could Like posts! :bowjr: Like facebook you can also dislike peoples posts and the person with the most :yoshi: dislikes should get banned!

Now that's just...I don't even know what that is.

Majora's Mask said:
I think it's best to not add a dislike system as people could dislike the users they don't like and it'll make all hell break loose through here between users.

"ok who disliked my post"

"i did"

"why"

"because i dont like you"

Uh-huh. I can see it now. We'd pr'y have a spike in bans because of conversations like these.

LN1 said:
GBAToad said:
if you want a like system then just quote someone's post, add 'i like this' and post it. it is a foolproof alternative that will make you very popular and liked trust me
i like this.

I like this too.

horses tbh said:
Drift said:
and the person with the most :yoshi: dislikes should get banned!

okay lets go

the game is on

Excuse me, but what in the world is that supposed to mean?

Wow, almost everyone has low faith on our users. I support this system, it would eliminate the need for posts which only say "lol", "Ok", "qft", or anything else that could be replaced by a "Thank You" button.

The like system is certainly going to cause problems especially with the type of users we often have so I sadly have to oppose With a like your going to get users demanding likes, others posting stuff just to get likes and then people complaining because they got no likes on their "genius" post.

Saying simple things like "I agree" or "funny post" is enough.

On another forum, we have a like/thank for/dislike post system (why we have a thank for post, I can't remember)
We don't even use it half the time (and I rarely use it anymore), but it's nice to have around for things someone highly agrees with.
The only thing we ever use the dislike post button for is trolls, especially our resident troll. I've seen in the past though where people disliked a mod or admin's post because a decision was made by them that whoever disliked really hated, so that could be problematic in it's own way

GBAToad said:
if you want a like system then just quote someone's post, add 'i like this' and post it. it is a foolproof alternative that allows you to give people your fake internet praise and will make you very popular and liked trust me
this sums up my opinion

Though I doubt the outcome will be different (iirc Steve's objection to a like system is aesthetic rather than concern about user's behaviours), I'll reiterate my support for a like system. People say "oh but it's gonna cause popularity contests/make people resentful" but I never observed that on forums that uses a simple like system. It's negative ratings (as well as "neutral" ratings that can be taken the wrong way) that cause problems.

2257 droppin' truth bombs.

GBAToad said:

People quote this, but this is one of my reason to get a like system. Frees up threwads from being cluttered by low-content "I like this", "this is funny" posts.

If the like system actually came to life here, should the mods PM warnings or give bans to users that constantly bitch about not getting likes on their posts?

Back