Consistent subsection organization

Banon

Koopa Troopa
Back in 2013, it came to my attention that many articles had inconsistent subsection capitalization and order. The policy is pretty clear in regards to capitalization: only the first word and proper nouns should be capitalized. Besides, I don't know if there has already been a massive effort to get rid of those pesky uppercases, but from what I see, they're mostly gone.

As for the right order, it's a little bit trickier. Apparently you guys had discussed this and had come to an agreement for the best order of games articles:

Story
Gameplay
Characters
Controls
Items/Objects
Enemies
Bosses
Locations
Reissues
<snazzy header>
References to other games
References in later games
Miscellaneous
Development
Staff
Beta elements
Glitches
Release and reception
Reviews
Controversies
Cultural impact
Marketing and merchandise
Official Soundtrack
Quotes
Gallery
Media
Names in other languages
See also
Trivia
References
External links

As far as I know, there were no further standardization efforts, and this was never enforced.

This thread has two purposes: 1) come to an agreement as to what order is best, and 2) collaborate on reorganizing the subsections (while removing all unnecessary capitalization while we're at it).

iirc there aren't many headers that have more than one word or aren't proper nouns. The only one I can think of right now is "Names in othe languages" but I'm sure there are others.

As for the order, what you have looks ok, but what is "<snazzy header>" supposed to mean?

I personally have always believed the last four should be ordered like this:

Trivia
See also
External links
References

The Trivia is still part of the article's main content, rather than links/references, so it makes more sense to have it at the end of the main content. See also and external links should be together in that order, IMO, as they both serve a similar purpose. And References should go at the end since they can be way too many and having them above another section will almost guarantee users never see that section.

For characters, I'd think something like this:

Background (or Creation, if applicable)
History
Series 1
Game 1
Game 2
Series 2
Game 1
Game 2
Series 3
Series 4
Other Appearances (Cartoons, Comics, etc.)
General Info
Appearance
Personality
Powers and abilities
Relationships with other characters (if applicable)
Character 1
Character 2
Character 3
List of appearances
Quotes
Gallery (these two could be in either order, but whichever one we choose we should stick with)
Trivia
See also
External links
References
Templates and whathaveyou

Would anyone else agree?

Mary Berry said:
iirc there aren't many headers that have more than one word or aren't proper nouns.

As for the order, what you have looks ok, but what is "<snazzy header>" supposed to mean?

Names in other languages was the main offender, but there are others. Look at the proposed order, there are 6-7 sections fitting your description.

I'm not sure about snazzy header, you'll have to ask Walkazo.

Also, 'beta elements' should be changed as per recent policy.

Mary Berry said:

I thought the standard was not to separate those?

It's a start, but it's missing a couple of common subsections, like the official profiles and statistics.

Hobbes said:
Trivia
See also
External links
References

I think it's better that way.

History
Series 1
Game 1
Game 2
Series 2
Game 1
Game 2
Series 3
Series 4
Other appearances (Cartoons, Comics, etc.)
Appearance 1
Appearance 2
Appearance 3
General Info
Appearance
Personality
Powers and abilities
Character 1
Character 2
Character 3
List of appearances
Quotes
Gallery (these two could be in either order, but whichever one we choose we should stick with)
Profiles and statistics
Trivia
See also
External links
References
Templates and whathaveyou

How about this revised version?

For full clarity about the "why" behind the order, the original post was (from the admin board):

Walkazo said:
Agreed about "See Also" and the controls thing. I've always thought it'd be better of the {{main}}-using sections go on the bottom - so the content is up top and that footnote/see-also stuff is at the bottom along with the Trivia and Names sections, however, looking at it now, and seeing as those sections will now have paragraph previews instead of bare nothingness, I think it'd be better to incorporate them more, rather than orphaning them at the bottom. The "Miscellaneous" header (MarioWiki:Trivia) is a perfect way to bring more order to the pages, and many of the other things can be grouped too, along with headers not mentioned in that draft (and of course, other headers are possible too, while some here are unnecessary sometimes - it all depends on the game's content):

Story
Gameplay
Characters
Controls
Items/Objects
Enemies
Bosses
Locations
Reissues
<snazzy header>
References to other games
References in later games
Miscellaneous
Development
Staff
Beta elements
Glitches
Release and reception
Reviews
Controversies
Cultural impact
Marketing and merchandise
Official Soundtrack
Quotes
Gallery
Media
Names in other languages
See also
Trivia
References
External links

I can't think of a good name for the references sections dealing with the game in relation to the Mario series that doesn't sound too much like canon-talk. They're not in the Misc section with the other random stuff since they're not quite as RL-oriented as the rest, and they'd go above because folks are often interested in that sorta stuff (whereas RL stuff gets less love). Reissues get a main section because they're important, and like the refs, readers are interested in 'em. All the in-game stuff is grouped in Gameplay, except for Story, because of its importance and prominence. Quotes are less spacious so they go above the flashy galleries, which serve as a conclusion of sorts for the page, except the footnote stuff like Names in other languages and "see also" and whatnot.
After that, the topic got changed and nothing more was said about it. It was always on my to-do list to get back to it, but seeing as there's a few types of large pages, and numerous smaller types of pages, making a guide is easier said than done - there were always a handful of other, more pressing things to try and regulate or improve first.

Anyway, regarding the original, plan, I definitely agree with this modification:

Hobbes said:
I personally have always believed the last four should be ordered like this:

Trivia
See also
External links
References

The Trivia is still part of the article's main content, rather than links/references, so it makes more sense to have it at the end of the main content. See also and external links should be together in that order, IMO, as they both serve a similar purpose. And References should go at the end since they can be way too many and having them above another section will almost guarantee users never see that section.

For the character stuff:

Mary Berry said:
Character 1
Character 2
Character 3
We don't do this anymore. (MarioWiki:Proposals/Archive_36#Trim_the_Relationship_Sections) Just a plain "Relationships" section, possibly divided into broader subheaders like "family", "allies", "enemies", etc. when there's lots to say, but definitely not character by character - those were terrible sections.

Mary Berry said:
History
Series 1
Game 1
Game 2
Series 2
Game 1
Game 2
Series 3
Series 4
Also wrong. As Banon already pointed out, we don't separate out the non-game media: the full and proper name of the section at the end of Histories "Other appearances, cameos and references" (Archive_35#Other_Appearances.2C_Cameos_and_References_sections), for data-deficient appearances, cameos, references and other grab-bag things like merchandise - also explained in the Manual of Style (MarioWiki:Manual_of_Style#History). The MoS also explains that "Background" sections are within History sections and used for in-universe stuff like Baby Mario on the Mario page. "Creation" sections, on the other hand, are for RL development info and do go in front of History sections (although it's not an either/or situation: on the contrary, if a character has one, they often have the other because they're major characters). In some cases, the section's called "Creation and development" instead because we have enough info besides the origin stories: to me, that's the ideal.

Regarding other character stuff, there's generally misc. things that go after History, either within General Info or mixed in with the Galleries and Quotes (you're missing the Stats section, for one thing). I'm in the middle of a bunch of stuff right now, but I'll try to take a look at more character pages and whatnot later to make more informed calls.

Back