The 'Shroom Art Contest~ DKC: Tropical Freeze Edition

Zeon

Commander of Colony 9
Core 'Shroom Staff
Pronouns
She/her
MarioWiki
FunkyK38
Greetings, all, your friendly MC FunkyK here to open up the official art thread for the winter Art Contest! As stated in Issue 105, this time the theme is based on DKC: Tropical Freeze, since it is the holidays, after all. This board is the main one we'll be using to communicate with all of you on entries, questions, and deadline dates, so if you have any questions or need to look at the rules, this is your one-stop shop for all of that.

EDIT: Once you've finished your art, post it here so we can collect all of it for voting!

Here are your rules again for reference!

• Your art can be any size, there's no size limit this time.
  • Any medium is accepted. Hand-drawn, computer generated, sprite work, game mods, comics, we'll take them all.
  • Your art must follow the guidelines in the Manual of Style to be accepted. Since we're not working with mature games like we were in the Flag Design contest, we'll be more strict on this.
  • Your art should have an accompanying explanation of what it is. Give a paragraph or so explaining what's going on, what your inspiration was, etc. We'll be posting these in the voting, so keep it clean!
  • You have until January 26th, 2016 to submit your art to the official board.
  • If you have any questions, leave a message on the official board, or you can PM me directly. We'll mainly be using that board to communicate with everyone, so if you have a question that could apply to everyone, be sure to post it there!

Here's a link to the MoS if you need it: http://www.mariowiki.com/MarioWiki:Manual_of_Style

Remember, you have until January 26th, 2016 to turn in your entries. Good luck, everyone!

Okay, I'm done. I'm assuming the entries are public instead of PM.
KppLNjD.png

After Donkey Kong's defeat at the hands of these nuisances, Diddy, Dixie and Cranky made their way to Kong Island. However, with the binds of single player keeping them from exploring the main area, they quickly ran out of food as the remaining bananas quickly became encased in ice. The island drifted into unknown territory, and the Kongs realised that they had to be more inventive to survive the hunger...

My inspiration was me thinking what would happen if Donkey Kong was defeated, and would the other Kongs be able to survive. It was made using Blender for the models and the scene, and paint.NET for effects (motion blur, focus, reflections), Kong Island, and putting the different layers together.
Hope you like it!

The Pyro Guy said:
Okay, I'm done. I'm assuming the entries are public instead of PM.

Yes, entries are public. Thank you for reminding me, I'll add that in my post above.

Here's my entry.

pm7Nd6L.png

At first, being restricted to Tropical Freeze-based topics killed my interest in the contest because it meant magical rainbowwws, Kremlings and Great Ape War pictures would be no-go, and without all that, then what's even the point? But then I realized that King K. Rool probably wouldn't've wanted to be in the game anyway, on account of being a cold-blooded reptile, and then this image and phrase popped into my head, so I dropped everything I was doing (i.e. legit work I was being paid to do at my part-time job, but there were no customers around at the time, so whatever) and sketched it out in pen. I used more pens to colour it in when I got home, scanned it in and finally tweaked the colours a bit with GIMP - the day I find a properly yellow pen will be a happy day indeed.

The End

Just a quick reminder to everyone reading this! You have until January 26th to submit an entry for this contest. If you need more time, please let us know!

ENTRIES ARE NOW CLOSED!

Voting will begin this Sunday, January 31st, in a new thread on this board, so pay attention!

To everyone who contributed art, thank you so much, and best of luck in the voting round!

Back