Scottish Mario: Origin (latest chapter: 1 - The Man at the Diner)

SiFi

Just a flight attendant guy.
MarioWiki
SiFi
"You know, this isn't my first time trying to register here."

"Uh-huh," an uninterested moderator said without even looking at him. "Yeah, the captchas here were pretty brutal for a while, but thanks to the new mayor things are a lot more user-friendly now. So, what did you say your name was?"

"Call me SaltySeaman," he said. "It's a name I chose as a reminder of Mario's true heritage! After all, he was originally created as a replacement for Popeye."

"Uh-huh." Again, not even a glance in the newcomer's direction. "Just keep in mind that not many people like to discuss Mario at the moment. Not after... well, I'm sure you've heard."

"Oh, of course," said SaltySeaman. "Well, at least they had enough respect to give him a proper burial, right?"

"Um..." The mod tugged uncomfortably at his collar. "...not exactly. It was more of a cremation... and I wouldn't exactly call it a 'proper' one either."

"...oh." He hadn't anticipated that. "Uh... anyway, one last thing. Do you think I could get a Shroom job while I'm here?"

"I really don't know," the Mod said. "Last time I heard anything about the Shroom was before the incident with Mario. Anyway, you're finally registered here. Have a nice day."

SaltySeaman smiled and waved as he entered the town for the first time.

...the first time in quite a while, anyway.

"So far, so good," he said to himself. "Even after dropping all those hints, he didn't suspect a thing. These people have no idea just how much they need me... as soon as I disappear, they start tearing egother apart. Now, it's time for the phoenix to rise from the ashes."

Re: Scottish Mario: Origin (latest chapter: Prologue)

I bet the mod's Gamefreak. Also, love the Dragon Problem references. I approve of this spin-off/spiritual successor/whatever like DK approves rainbows.

GalacticPetey said:
SiFi said:
Now, it's time for the phoenix to rise from the ashes."
http://www.marioboards.com/index.php?action=profile;u=1989

Could it be...
Or Phoenix Rider (who did die in DrP, actually).

Or Salty. ;P

I couldn't think of a who but then I was like "hey Tucayo wanted to be in this" but then I was like "oh wait Tucayo was one of the died" but sure it's Gamefreak now.

Yep, he was murdered on the Shroom presses (although I didn't really know what newspaper presses looked like and didn't spend teribly long on that shot, so it's admittedly not very clear), hence no more newspaper due to ol' Mario (plus, SMB was killed too, so yeah, not a good time).

SaltySeaman blended in more easily than he expected to with the other users, but he wasn't exactly welcomed with open arms. There was just something people didn't like about him, but they couldn't quite put their finger on it, and so nobody spoke up. He didn't have to be liked to carry out his plans. He just had to lay low and not get into any trouble with the higher-ups.

Ironically, his first big obstacle turned out to be someone in a very similar predicament. That 'someone' was a handsome moustachioed gentleman at Loic's diner, who apparently had great difficulty understanding how checks were meant to be used. On top of that, he seemed to have great difficulty understanding a lot of other things, such as how to lay low and stay out of trouble in the lion's den.

“IT'S SUPPOSED TO BOUNCE,” he yelled. “YOU SAID YOU HAVE CHILDREN TO FEED, BUT I AM A CERTIFIED FORMER CHILD AND I CAN ASSURE YOU THAT ANY CHILD WORTH THEIR SALT WOULD MUCH RATHER HAVE TOYS THAN FOOD, AND ANY TOY WORTH ITS SALT DOES NOT BREAK WHEN IT HITS THE GROUND. IT FRIGGIN' BOUNCES.”

SaltySeaman gave the man one look and rolled his eyes. He missed the days when he had nothing better to do than stir up a commotion just like this one. It was so easy too, especially with people like...

“Wait a minute...” He produced a telescope and peered through it at the man. “...SiFi?”

Both the moustachioed gentleman and the cashier turned their attention towards him, but when the latter of them looked back, it was suddenly so clear.

“You!” He said.

“You!” SiFi said, still looking directly at SaltySeaman. “I was wondering when I'd see you again!”

“Sir,” the cashier said, “if you don't leave this establishment soon, I'll have to call the authorities.”

SiFi responded with a smug grin. “You heard him! Your cover's blown, so just run along home with your tail betwe-”

“Sir, I was talking to you.”

“What?!” SiFi looked betrayed. “You're still focused on me when Rudnicki is sitting right there in plain sight?”

If anyone else in the diner was talking, they weren't now. Rudnicki had been the Forbidden Subject since early into Mayor Mario's reign, and hearing it uttered once more could only mean one thing.

“Well now I really know it's you,” the cashier said. “Classic SiFi, always playing the Rudnicki card at the least appropriate time. Just get out before I report this.”

SiFi opened his mouth to object, but quickly recalled the previous incidents the cashier was referring to. It was one thing to be kicked out of the diner again, but getting kicked out like this meant landing on thin ice, and so his only choice to let it happen and see where he could go from there. He showed himself out, keeping a close eye on SaltySeaman as he left.

SaltySeaman was trying hard not to look back at him, and trying even harder not to laugh.

#WhatATwist

Also, seeing as Birdo left, Lioc's must've had to replace her with someone to run the cash n' stuff, but who?

Well, all we know is that the cashier has children... and we can assume that only having one child could also be the case given the unreliable speaker of that information... and seeing as the weird parentage stuff around UP has no place in DrP or its esteemed fanfiction... then the cashier must be...

Samus

SiFi said:
“You!” He said.

I'm bad at knowing what to refer to a character as and when (especially when they're already unnamed) so it probably wasn't as clear as I intended that line was spoken by the cashier.

...maybe it's Lanky Kong?

But if it is Samus (i mean if the first game's manual can get away with it then why not) and SaltySeaman really is Rudnicki, then the latter's doing a better job of restraining himself than I thought.

Ah, I thought it was SaltySeaman.

Re-reading the lines, technically the pronoun usage is correct, since it's referring to the "latter" of the "moustachioed gentleman and the cashier", but a fair bit of text and a line break came between that initial "cashier" and the "he", and personally, I always say better safe then sorry. (Which is why I prefer boy-girl conversations: the "he"s and "she"s will never require thought to follow no matter how long they go on without proper noun breaks.)

But also, you're quite right that had it been Samus, there would have been a much bigger scene. Perhaps she indeed skipped town with Shiggy after the Mayor's downfall, or ol' Rudy's disguise might have been blown already.

It should be a user if it's not Samus: spread the joy of cameos. I suggest someone quadrupedal - everyone knows they're the best sorts of food handlers and Loic's only hires the best in the business.

So after recent and probably not safe to discuss events making this story's existence awkward I'm not really sure what I'm going to do with it.

Sadness.

That's always the risk of writing user-based stories: if shit goes down in reality, it makes the existing stuff awkward, but at least plot adjustments can potentially avoid continued awkwardness in future chapters. Although if the mere fact that the story exists is a problem, that's a trickier situation fo' sho': I've seen at least one comic die in part because its main villain became unusable, iirc.

So I'm considering finishing this as a tribute to Walkazo, but there's still the issue of it drawing unwanted attention from you-know-who, and while I planned for her to have a major role in it from the start, now I worry that any wrong decision in regards to her portrayal could ruin everything.

Does anyone have opinions or advice?

I don't know who you-know-who is, but I think it would be a great way to honor her.

Back